Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
Just now, nick sussex said:

In terms of the high and where it goes .

You can really correlate that with the shape of the upstream troughing and how far south it digs .

The problem at the moment is the lack of elongation and dig south in that troughing within the day 10 period .

You really need that so it can force the high further ne.

Let the pattern evolve, all we know right now, is a high is likely to build over us, there is a chance it might build further north than we thought a few days ago, and a smaller chance it might move to scandi 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

In terms of the high and where it goes .

You can really correlate that with the shape of the upstream troughing and how far south it digs .

The problem at the moment is the lack of elongation and dig south in that troughing within the day 10 period .

You really need that so it can force the high further ne.

Be interesting to see what the king of amplification (aka.ECM)comes up with shortly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the D12 mean, the GFS op looks like it is on its own, as the mean remains the same, much flatter to our east versus the op:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Control D12:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Looking at the GEFS for London, and at D6-7 the 2m temps looks an outlier on the op and def out of sync with its members, so not quite sure what the op is seeing:

graphe_ens4.thumb.gif.e5ff684aef0eaebfa894fa527babef1b.gif

That anomaly makes me think the op maybe out of kilter. More runs needed due to GEM at D10 not far off GFS. Bearing in mind how bad the gFS has been post-D10 I am reluctant to take it seriously ATM.

• Like 6

Posted

The Holy grail would be if the Pacific High could connect with the high heading North West to completely split the vortex . Of course it won't happen. Is the GFS detecting something the other models will catch on to soon. That must be the hope now. I guess the ECM tonight might shed some light on all this. By the way when is the next ec46 update? 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, That ECM said:

I’m not sure I’d be calling anything yet.  But I like the indecision and doubt to the NE. If nothing else but for the interest.

Could contain: Accessories, Plot, Chart, Person, Outer Space, Astronomy, Outdoors

A lot of pros will be scratching their heads  if it does come off - it will be like that WTF moment with Ian(I forget his surname) several years ago. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

A lot of pros will be scratching their heads  if it does come off - it will be like that WTF moment with Ian(I forget his surname) several years ago. 

Brown 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
8 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The ECM's going for it and slightly better than this mornings

12z 168 vs 00z 192,...abviously the timescales are out but the pattern looks slightly west.

ECH1-168.thumb.gif.23165f760d710d33e0120dbfec50d75b.gifECH1-192.thumb.gif.1535a441d887fe27965c0621883b4f08.gif

it is, waiting for next frame...

ECM101-168.gif

EDIT: Still goes for Scandi heights.ECM101-192.thumb.gif.c1834cd89521fe256c4d0ef973efb9b1.gif

Final Edit: ECM101-216.thumb.gif.2363c4e263a2e5458d1d2b3e835ee25d.gif

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Quite a bizarre setup in FI land...

Could contain: Outdoors, Accessories, Nature, Art

Look at us, just look, the whole NH is nippy... love these FI charts. Could contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Art, Pattern

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Indeed and it's incredible to see such a change from a stormy period to high pressure. I have said this before but this winter has been odd for me from a forecasting perspective as the output at times has been strange.

History tells me that an E,ly is more than plausible from the set up at +144 onwards but history also tells me how it can go pearshaped.

Who knows, all bizarre. Plus point for this time of year is `cold` and dry. To pick up on your last comment, at a push today`s NAO output takes a VERY slight dip towards neutral...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Indeed and it's incredible to see such a change from a stormy period to high pressure. I have said this before but this winter has been odd for me from a forecasting perspective as the output at times has been strange.

History tells me that an E,ly is more than plausible from the set up at +144 onwards but history also tells me how it can go pearshaped.

Completely agree and sometimes it better to wait and see than guess.  Coldies have hope, professionals will go with normal until a strong signal for different. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 hour ago, Bricriu said:

Why? It’s been fairly well flagged for a while now if you pay attention to the teleconnections, MJO, AAM etc, they’ve been broadly pointing to a Scandi high mid Feb for a couple of weeks. 

What conditions any high brings to the UK in terms of cold etc though is very much open to doubt. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
57 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Brown 

Ian Brown ….. Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time…… A long time.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Mmm surprised to see both ECM and GFS showing ridge/high pressure building through the UK fending off what was expected to be a resurgent atlantic - against an angry PV, but perhaps we shouldn't be, the last 2 years has seen a very ineffective atlantic coming unstuck against heights near or over the UK.

GFS again shows an easterly draw - and a long drawn cold one, notable it keeps doing this..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8