IGNORED

2023 Tornado Events, Outbreaks and Chat

matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
17 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

WOW!!!

did anyone see this😲

Yep watched it live on Saturday evening.

Live viewing was from inside Dominator, until the camera was knocked over when the worst hit.

Twas about 5 mins afterwards that any connection was established. Though you could still hear the screaming inside for the minute or so that they were inside the tornado.

The drone video has certainly shown it up for the better.

I just used a link on here towatch it, and I assumed most had seen it.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
17 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Live viewing was from inside Dominator, until the camera was knocked over when the worst hit.

Twas about 5 mins afterwards that any connection was established. Though you could still hear the screaming inside for the minute or so that they were inside the tornado.

MIA

I thought it was Friday?

I missed most of the action as i tuned in at about 10:30 pm our time as i forgot about it,great footage though and jakes feed Saturday evening was good too as he bagged three touchdown tors, @Raindrops posted the video on the last page.

Si

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
33 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

MIA

I wonder if he will sell footage for this ...

Twister.jpg
MOVIEWEB.COM

The Twister sequel will land in theaters in 2024.
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I thought it was Friday?

I missed most of the action as i tuned in at about 10:30 pm our time as i forgot about it,great footage though and jakes feed Saturday evening was good too as he bagged three touchdown tors, @Raindrops posted the video on the last page.

Si

Best night ever.

Only 2% chance of Tornados tonight and tomorrow, and the foreseeable future looks like a lull.

Anyway of to watch a film, have a good evening all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
7 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

I wonder if he will sell footage for this ...

Twister.jpg
MOVIEWEB.COM

The Twister sequel will land in theaters in 2024.

Best night ever.

Only 2% chance of Tornados tonight and tomorrow, and the foreseeable future looks like a lull.

Anyway of to watch a film, have a good evening all.

Yes can't wait for the sequel but the original would take some beating,i have watched it loads of times.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
24 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I thought it was Friday?

Si

Sorry my bad...

yes it was Friday. It happened at about  20:00 our time and about early afternoon US time. 

I think it was the first reported tornado of the day after they had watched several storms in the area develop but not go tornadic. They were alerted to this ones  touchdown about half an hour earlier by another chaser, who watched its formation thru' to it becoming a wedge. The Dominator crew then  picked it up and followed it for about 10mins. They stopped briefly to let down the steel flaps on Dominator and one of the 4 people on board sent up the drone. They then drove in to intercept it, with the results of the video looking quite spectacular.

Apparently they had time to let down spikes underneath to dig in to the ground to help keep them from being blown away.

He had  total confidence in Dominator 3 after his previous two had suffered damage.

The live viewing went almost like clock work, and it was only in the last 5 minutes I realised that they wanted to intercept it directly!!

I hadn't really realised what was going on outside whilst they were in it, but they reported that the anenometer had broken as the wind reached 155 m p h  

MIA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Yeah managed my first tornado on Saturday which was a blast! Today, we were on one of the few tornado-warned storms N of Springfield, Missouri.

We've got a down day tomorrow as we're setting up for upcoming risk over Southern Plains. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes can't wait for the sequel but the original would take some beating,i have watched it loads of times.

I personally think some things are best left alone, especially as two of the main actors are sadly no longer with us. 

• Like 6

Posted
On 16/05/2023 at 03:11, Ben Sainsbury said:

Yeah managed my first tornado on Saturday which was a blast! Today, we were on one of the few tornado-warned storms N of Springfield, Missouri.

We've got a down day tomorrow as we're setting up for upcoming risk over Southern Plains. 

Day 3 outlook looks good (so far) :), happy and safe chasing

Edited by Raindrops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can't say I've ever seen the SPC 4-8 have "potential too low" every day in late May before. What has happened to late May in recent years?!

• Like 1

Posted
On 17/05/2023 at 14:59, Nick L said:

Can't say I've ever seen the SPC 4-8 have "potential too low" every day in late May before. What has happened to late May in recent years?!

I've just done a case of spoke to soon, but a small area has a slight risk today.

Could be El Niño??? Jet Stream is too far North?? The plains are drier, hence the shift to the East.

Edited by Raindrops

Posted

SPC AC 181229

Day 1 Convective Outlook NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK 0729 AM CDT Thu May 18 2023

Valid 181300Z - 191200Z

...THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING OVER PARTS OF THE TEXAS PANHANDLE AND WESTERN OKLAHOMA...

...SUMMARY...

Strong to severe thunderstorms with hail and strong wind gusts may impact parts of the southern Great Plains, the Upper Midwest, and the Tennessee Valley this afternoon and evening.

...West TX/OK... Weak to moderately strong westerly mid-level winds are present today from the Great Basin eastward into the central/southern Plains, with several weak/subtle shortwave troughs embedded in the flow. Strong heating is expected to occur today from the southern TX panhandle southward, helping to form a weakly focused surface dryline from near Amarillo southward to the Big Bend region. Most overnight CAM solutions suggest that low clouds persist through much of the day in the central/northeastern TX panhandle, leading to a relatively strong baroclinic zone across the region. This boundary is likely to be the focus for strong/severe thunderstorms by late afternoon. Despite weak forcing mechanisms, scattered high-based thunderstorms are expected to build in vicinity/west of the dryline and move into the moist/unstable axis. Gusty winds will be possible in the stronger cores throughout the region. Enhanced low-level shear/convergence in vicinity of the baroclinic zone may result in more organized storms over the TX panhandle during the late afternoon and evening, where RAP forecast soundings show enlarged hodographs to support supercell structures. Hail and damaging winds are the main threat, although a tornado or two is possible. Therefore have added a small SLGT risk for that region.

...Eastern CO/Western KS... Easterly post-frontal low-level winds are expected today over much of eastern CO and western KS, maintaining 50s dewpoints across the region. Afternoon thunderstorms are expected to increase in coverage over the foothills and spread into the adjacent plains, with some interaction with the DCVZ. Forecast soundings in this area show MLCAPE values around 1000 J/kg and 25-30 knots of deep-layer shear. This suggests some potential for organized clusters of storms capable of gusty winds and hail.

...MN/WI... An upper trough over Manitoba will track southeastward today, with its associated surface cold front sagging into southeast MN and central WI. Scattered thunderstorms will form along this front by mid-afternoon and track across parts of central WI and northeast IA. Strengthening winds aloft and strong heating ahead of the front will support gusty/damaging winds in the strongest cores. The primary severe threat will only last few hours this evening due to a narrow instability axis and the onset of diurnal cooling.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Plant, Vegetation

Posted

@Nick L Here you go 😉

The Future of Supercells in the United States

Results reveal that supercells will be more frequent and intense in future climates, with robust spatiotemporal shifts in their populations. Supercells are projected to become more numerous in regions of the eastern United States, while decreasing in frequency in portions of the Great Plains.

Edited by Raindrops

Posted

Hmm 🤔 maybe, maybe not.

Mesoscale Discussion 815

Posted

Dr. Timmer is on it.

997 WFUS54 KAMA 182315 TORAMA TXC375-190015- /O.NEW.KAMA.TO.W.0007.230518T2315Z-230519T0015Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AMARILLO TX 615 PM CDT THU MAY 18 2023

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AMARILLO HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CENTRAL POTTER COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF TEXAS...

* UNTIL 715 PM CDT.

* AT 614 PM CDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WAS LOCATED 7 MILES SOUTHEAST OF VALLEY DE ORO, OR 15 MILES NORTHWEST OF AMARILLO, MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... AMARILLO AND VALLEY DE ORO.

Tornado HQ

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Scoreboard, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
LIVESTORMCHASING.COM

Watch live feeds as storm chasers try to see if their target verifies. Tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, and floods - we've got it all and more, live on our site and available as video on demand.
Nick Busby

Edited by Raindrops

Posted

Oh, com'on 😑

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible

Mesoscale Discussion 818

Posted

Posted

Storm Chaser Vince Waelti

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Utility Pole, Tornado

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Tornado

Edited by Raindrops

Posted

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Person, Scenery, Horizon, Car, Vehicle, Field, Storm

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Utility Pole, Road, Storm, Sky

Edited by Raindrops

Posted

Posted

Still only 2% chance of a Tornado 😑

day1otlk_sm.gif
WWW.SPC.NOAA.GOV

Severe weather, tornado, thunderstorm, fire weather, storm report, tornado watch, severe thunderstorm watch, mesoscale discussion, convective outlook products from the Storm Prediction Center.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation, Outdoors

Edited by Raindrops

Posted

Posted

Severe Thunderstorm Watch 227

* Primary threats include... Scattered large hail and isolated very large hail events to 2 inches in diameter possible Isolated damaging wind gusts to 70 mph possible A tornado or two possible

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

Posted