Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

I was under the impression that we are expecting the MJO to be favourable for cold around the end of February, so anything appearing in the models by then may be more likely to be related to the MJO, than the SSW?

On the ens mean - yes. with the ssw occurring around the 15th, the general forward look is 10/14 days for the first downwelling wave to make it to the trop.  But with a disconnected trop/strat that could be up to four weeks or the odd case, not at all. 

but individual members or ops may produce a quick downwell and those charts could feasibly show from around the 20th onwards 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Well what happened to this winter...quite a prolonged spell of very cold weather at the beginning of December followed by what...mainly changeable conditions with the odd cold shot..some particularly cold nights thrown in the mix I suppose.but nothing too unusual..looking at the models next two weeks seems a right off in terms of cold,are we saying goodbye to winter already with the main core of it gone and with March around the corner!?

We just need some luck, if everything falls right March could well be colder than the whole of winter. Let’s hope things fall right quickly though, and not by mid March 

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

Am I right in saying that two out of every three SSWs bring cold weather/blocking to the UK?

That’s what they say, but I guess you could still have 4 in a row that don’t!! 

There’s a chance the reversal is long term , and if so the chances of prolonged colder spells throughout March and April will surely be very high, even if it doesn’t fall right initially. You can’t discount historical type weather somewhere in the NH at our latitude 🤞

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart, Smoke Pipe

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

You are hoping the two come together and 2 plus 2 equals 5. However, it is incredibly difficult to define the individual impacts. 

Well I'm actually hoping for a warm March, but hey!

Agreed that favourable for cold MJO and favourable for cold SSW does not mean cold...but my point was actually regarding people expecting cold solutions showing up in the models towards the end of February being a product of the SSW, when I think it more likely a product of the MJO?

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

That would be a hell of a northerly GFS P16

GFSP16EU00_324_2.pngGFSP16EU00_324_1.png

Do the GFS ensembles have an issue with under-estimating ocean modification? I've never seen a northerly that cold in the archives but have seen a few examples in the ensembles. Also, I don't know of any archive chart examples a westerly with 850hpa temps approaching -15C, yet we had an ensemble member the other day showing -16C 850's on a westerly. Even the often cited cold zonality of January 1984 didn't quite manage to pull in the -10C 850hpa isotherm from the west.

I've noticed over the last couple of years that there have been various ensemble charts showing westerlies/northerlies with 850hpa temps colder than any actual examples I know of.

Although I would love to see a NNW wind with -15C - -20C 850's coming down the Irish Sea with the streamer of intense snow showers it would create hitting the SW.. just not that week because it's the first week since 2020 I've been abroad (which increases the chances of it happening!)

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Evening thunder said:

Do the GFS ensembles have an issue with under-estimating ocean modification? I've never seen a northerly that cold in the archives but have seen a few examples in the ensembles. Also, I don't know of any archive chart examples a westerly with 850hpa temps approaching -15C, yet we had an ensemble member the other day showing -16C 850's on a westerly. Even the often cited cold zonality of January 1984 didn't quite manage to pull in the -10C 850hpa isotherm from the west.

I've noticed over the last couple of years that there have been various ensemble charts showing westerlies/northerlies with 850hpa temps colder than any actual examples I know of.

Tbh, I wouldn’t pay much attention to any individual gefs member. it happens in here when there is nothing much to look at on ops or ens means……

the gefs are, by definition, an ensemble tool to be used as part of a mean or a notable cluster. They were never designed to be looked at on their own. 

• Like 3

Posted

Day 9, is the Op going for it here 👀

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Modern Art, Nature, Plot, Chart

I think it is, cold run incoming, well a cold day 11/12 at least 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Graphics, Modern Art

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Cymro said:

I must say the prospect of a severely cold March, as a vegetable grower, fills me with absolute dread! I'm hoping we see impacts from MJO potential reversals with SSW sooner rather than later so it can be done with before mid March! 

The reversal will come when it wants Cymro I'm afraid and if it's a biggie then could last a good couple of weeks eh!

• Like 1

Posted
On 10/02/2023 at 09:01, Ruzzi said:

I don't think anyone has said at any point that a SSW guarantees cold weather ...

We're here to enjoy the ride of seeing how it plays, a SSW doesn't guarantee cold and snow, but it gives us a ticket to the raffle and that's where the thrill of the chase comes in. 

If you want spring and warmth, maybe best not to hang your hat on it for at least another few weeks until the effects of the SSW are laid out a bit clearer. 

This is what I am not getting about this thread. I have come on here to see what is happening in the model outputs.

Instead most of the posts seem to be by those wanting bitter cold about an atmospheric event that may or may not happen and which may or may not have a cold impact in the UK in 2 to 4 weeks time. Very little about the actual model outputs from which I want to learn.

Shouldn't there be a separate thread where people without bias or particular weather preferences can just discuss the actual model outputs instead of what they are wishing to see?

🤷‍♀️

Nothing that I have seen in the outputs overnight suggests anything other than a mostly stagnant high pressure south of Britain maintaining a mild flow especially in the north? Am I wrong?

Edited by Tills
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tills said:

This is what I am not getting about this thread. I have come on here to see what is happening in the model outputs.

Instead most of the posts seem to be by those wanting bitter cold about an atmospheric event that may or may not happen and which may or may not have a cold impact in the UK in 2 to 4 weeks time. Very little about the actual model outputs from which I want to learn.

Shouldn't there be a separate thread where people without bias or particular weather preferences can just discuss the actual model outputs instead of what they are wishing to see?

🤷‍♀️

Nothing that I have seen in the outputs overnight suggests anything other than a mostly stagnant high pressure south of Britain maintaining a mild flow especially in the north? Am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong at all! Unfortunately unless it's bitter cold and snow in winter or baking heat in summer, most aren't interested in the normal day-to-day stuff.  Admittedly the outlook is pretty mundane for the next ten days which is why there is so much attention being placed on the SSW by the majority.  Hopefully this SSW event will be one that doesn't bring a cold outbreak, but I fear there will be some impact although noone knows for sure.  In the meantime, it's looking dry and mild this week for many as you rightfully suggest which will do nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

That looks like a record breaking Polar Vortex

ECMAVGEU00_240_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
38 minutes ago, Cymro said:

I must say the prospect of a severely cold March, as a vegetable grower, fills me with absolute dread! I'm hoping we see impacts from MJO potential reversals with SSW sooner rather than later so it can be done with before mid March! 

On a personal note I actually think if we are to get repercussions from this SSW (and I strongly think we will)  it will be March, late late Feb at earliest.  

BFTP

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
7 minutes ago, Tills said:

🤷‍♀️

No you're  not wrong Tills. 

But your own words describe the current forecast model situation as stagnant. Which is why people are talking about how the expected ssw might affect the model output going forward. This is fine and acceptable for a model output discussion forum.

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

We just need some luck, if everything falls right March could well be colder than the whole of winter. Let’s hope things fall right quickly though, and not by mid March 

Not really liking the prediction of cold in March as the potential for the coldest weather would have passed at that stage,although we have and can still get cold and snow in march

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
27 minutes ago, Tills said:

🤷‍♀️

Nope, not wrong at all, high pressure is set in the reliable, looks like in the mid term lows might start to effect us again, but re GFS northerly, I'll want to see that much closer, or repeated in other models before I take notice. That will not be related to the SSW just yet, but might be why GFS is showing it, to soon, trying to make an immediate change while the reversal is in progress 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

SSW is part of the model output discussion because that is where it belongs ....................surely. The warming up above is currently in every run  so it's only right it's being discussed as to what the outcome can be ...........................no different to discussing charts at 240 - 264 and onwards ................as we all know that is in the far reaches of FI and slim chances of coming to fruition but discussed nonetheless . 

gfsnh-10-192.png?6

gfsnh-10-312.png?6

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
5 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Not really liking the prediction of cold in March as the potential for the coldest weather would have passed at that stage,although we have and can still get cold and snow in march

Which can be much better than winter months with deep snow and cold ............not to be sniffed at 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Let it happen then see results. It’s still to early to watch for significant changes in the OPs

From the ec site…

Could contain: Text, Letter

• Like 3