Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
54 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Sure……your area was actually one of the wettest against average in April. As you can see March was utterly horrific everywhere including your area again. 

A515A211-F9EC-46E2-AC41-6E106493E024.thumb.jpeg.b45e71759e6a3f6ce0a28f9980e1b957.jpeg1B251655-8038-4DF1-ACCA-F3522BE73461.thumb.jpeg.d0002dcdcfd46b1f10061e060388c908.jpeg

Sure lots of rain, but all in a couple of weeks both time, on each side of the rain, we had those east winds with a high, that has been the predominant weather this year.

Posted
31 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I remember 2004.  Surely was 'front loaded'. I think it was ok from as early as March all through to mid June and then after that it was rubbish. Even September was cold and awful as well. The key to us coming out of the forthcoming spell of unsettled stuff is as ever the jet stream. We need it to shift to the north and will be back in business. If it stays south might as well begin the countdown to 1st May 2024. 

No sign of it going north anytime soon, indeed for the foreseeable it looks to be maintaining a beeline for the UK on a fairly straight more southerly trajectory. 

One unknown factor is we are soon entering early hurricane season, and with an expected active one, it may be the influence of an ex tropical storm that shifts it on a new axis, whether that be zonal north, zonal south or amplified with us either on cold or warm side, more likely later July we will see first impacts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A warm and muggy evening here. We hit 25c today in late afternoon sunshine. Been out in central London, it’s warm and still 21c at 11am. 

• Like 1

Posted

With all due respect, I think a few of you are going a bit overboard with this spell of unsettled weather. 

You can’t expect ‘perfect summer weather’ every single day of summer. A little bit of rain won’t hurt anyone. In fact it does more good than bad if were to have months of dry and warm weather without any rain. Spoiler alert: we need rain every now and then to keep things topped up. 

We’ve just had very respectable weather and temperatures over the last couple of weeks. By the sounds of it, some people are already writing off the rest of summer just because we now have an unsettled spell. Apart from northwestern areas, it’s certainly no wash out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
27 minutes ago, JR319 said:

With all due respect, I think a few of you are going a bit overboard with this spell of unsettled weather. 

You can’t expect ‘perfect summer weather’ every single day of summer. A little bit of rain won’t hurt anyone. In fact it does more good than bad if were to have months of dry and warm weather without any rain. Spoiler alert: we need rain every now and then to keep things topped up. 

We’ve just had very respectable weather and temperatures over the last couple of weeks. By the sounds of it, some people are already writing off the rest of summer just because we now have an unsettled spell. Apart from northwestern areas, it’s certainly no wash out. 

Yes, I can't believe people are giving up on summer already when we just had the warmest June on record and we still have July, August and the first half of September (which is often an extension of summer these days) to go yet. There is so much pessimism in this thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, I can't believe people are giving up on summer already when we just had the warmest June on record and we still have July, August and the first half of September (which is often an extension of summer these days) to go yet. There is so much pessimism in this thread.

Some of us are enjoying this less warm weather and appreciate the lower temperatures and more comfortbale feel.  

• Like 3

Tomorrow looking like a stat spoiler. Max temps look like being extremely depressed under thick cloud, breezy & drizzly conditions so much so many places likely only to see highs of 16-18C and ruining the run of 20C days on the last day of the month. 

Posted

I’m writing off the rest of summer now (at least in terms of summer weather I enjoy).

The ‘Goldilocks’ period for me is April-June where the days are still lengthening and you can get warm/hot weather (in-fact up until 2020, this was common).

We are now entering a pattern which looks to lock itself in and by the time we come out of it, it will be mid July at the absolute earliest. Going by how these patterns have stuck around over the last few years, it’s more likely to be mid August and by the time that rolls around, I start to think about Autumn (the same way I start to think about spring in February.

As I say, we might get some hot weather by late July/August, but that early summer sheen and feel to things will be long gone by then.

We did have a nice few weeks here once we lost that vile easterly wind, but sadly that won’t make up for the disgusting spring we had to endure before that. 

Also, no storms again in this neck of the woods so it hasn’t been fun on that front either. Truly uninspiring. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
9 hours ago, SunnyG said:

You are right, which is why  I am seriously thinking of moving. Life's too short to be living almost permanently under a blanket of greyness...

Yep, and same again today, just add a wonderful incessant drizzle that'll be in for most of the day. What I love to see at the end of June. Tomorrow and weekend look to be similar.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yep, and same again today, just add a wonderful incessant drizzle that'll be in for most of the day. What I love to see at the end of June. Tomorrow and weekend look to be similar.

At least it will save the test match for England!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite a lot of useful rain in west London overnight and this morning, with puddles everywhere. Looks sunny on satellite pics away from the S and E, as the front slowly clears. 
The weekend looks decidedly non-summery with strong winds and spells rain or showers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Must admit the current weather is making the day job so much easier.... it's cool and sunny which is lovely for getting stuff done outside in a relaxing, less stress way.

However, the awesome June has lead to a bumper crop of fruit from the rasperry bush. The fruit trees are doing well so far too.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I’m writing off the rest of summer now (at least in terms of summer weather I enjoy).

The ‘Goldilocks’ period for me is April-June where the days are still lengthening and you can get warm/hot weather (in-fact up until 2020, this was common).

We are now entering a pattern which looks to lock itself in and by the time we come out of it, it will be mid July at the absolute earliest. Going by how these patterns have stuck around over the last few years, it’s more likely to be mid August and by the time that rolls around, I start to think about Autumn (the same way I start to think about spring in February.

As I say, we might get some hot weather by late July/August, but that early summer sheen and feel to things will be long gone by then.

We did have a nice few weeks here once we lost that vile easterly wind, but sadly that won’t make up for the disgusting spring we had to endure before that. 

Also, no storms again in this neck of the woods so it hasn’t been fun on that front either. Truly uninspiring. 

I feel the same. Spring early summer are my favourite months and they were nothing special, certainly not in London...

• Like 1

Posted

By no means a vintage June here. I will summarise by saying between 9th June and 26th June was summery. Some sunny warm days. Temps between 23c and 27c . But also at least 7 days in this period when it rained. 5 of them heavy rain and storms. Early June to 8th although some sunny days/ half days not very warm (high teens). And probably 3 of those days cloud never cleared and temps 13c/14c max. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Picture one to NW, picture 2 to SW, have we got the Canadian smoke cloud arriving??

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a lovely morning; usable rain! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
24 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I really don't get the negativity regarding the summer so far. The last 2-3 weeks have been as glorious as you can realistically hope for. Consistently mid-20s and above with many areas seeing storms.

What do folks actually expect from a British summer month?! The Med this ain't!

Apparently the hottest or joint hottest June on record just isn't good enough.....sigh.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Apparently the hottest or joint hottest June on record just isn't good enough.....sigh.

Indeed! If you live on the east coast and have been plagued by low cloud and fog for much of it, absolutely fair enough. But to see folks complaining in London and the SE just leaves me baffled.

This has been a great start to summer in my opinion. The outlook, however, is a bit more bleak but certainly not without useable weather. It's been quite nice the last couple of days to be able to go to the allotment without any searing heat.

• Like 3

Posted

I don't "expect" anything from a UK summer. I am aware of our Geographical position on the globe and I know that UK summers are 'mixed' more often than not.

Doesn't mean I don't "want" more though.

Also, Useable weather is fine - but it's sort of like me saying "hey, don't complain, the next few weeks look useable" to a cold-lover in Winter when its forecast to be 10-11 degrees for the foreseeable future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Now the early glag has cleared its a beautiful warm summers morning on the East Coast ☀️

Could contain:

• Insightful 1

Posted

For all the doomongers saying summer is over, ive made a song up to the tune of justin haywards "Forever Autumn"

The summer sun is fading as the trough takes hold, and cloudy days are outside here!

😀😀😀

Cheer up people 😀😀😀

Edited by EMids WeatherWatcher
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I don't "expect" anything from a UK summer. I am aware of our Geographical position on the globe and I know that UK summers are 'mixed' more often than not.

Doesn't mean I don't "want" more though.

Also, Useable weather is fine - but it's sort of like me saying "hey, don't complain, the next few weeks look useable" to a cold-lover in Winter when its forecast to be 10-11 degrees for the foreseeable future.

It's not the same at all though, is it? 10-11C isn't exactly pleasant to be outside. Sunny spells and low 20s (such as we're seeing for many in the south over the coming days) is perfectly enjoyable.

Besides, for cold-lovers, we want snow in winter. You won't get anywhere near that in double figures. For those who enjoy outdoors weather in summer, there is absolutely no issue with fine weather and temperatures in the low-20s even though you may prefer upper 20s (which is exactly what we've had for weeks).

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 8