Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Natural disasters and wildfires were occurring decades ago, but less people were travelling to those regions, and local populations were smaller.

It is what it is! 

I've heard the words longest heatwave on record with regards to Greece, not sure if that is true or not, more people doesn't cover that, if it's true though. But I do agree that here we build where we never would have in the past, using science and engineering to limit risks of flooding, but when we get a proper downpour, it isn't enough. Plus places that historically did not flood, have done so frequently in the last decade. It's very plausible that building else where are going up where they shouldn't. It wouldn't surprise me though, if things that have been safe for a very long time are not now.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
4 hours ago, al78 said:

Whilst this month has been poor, I will refrain from comparing it with 2012 (or 2007) until we see widespread destructive flooding like we did in those two summers. We might have dodged a bullet with the very dry spell from mid May to mid June which helped the river and soil moisture levels recover from the wet spring.

I very much agree, so far 2023 is nothing compared to 2007 and 2012; some people really need to dial back their hatred of a bit of summer cloud and rain.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I've heard the words longest heatwave on record with regards to Greece, not sure if that is true or not, more people doesn't cover that, if it's true though. But I do agree that here we build where we never would have in the past, using science and engineering to limit risks of flooding, but when we get a proper downpour, it isn't enough. Plus places that historically did not flood, have done so frequently in the last decade. It's very plausible that building else where are going up where they shouldn't. It wouldn't surprise me though, if things that have been safe for a very long time are not now.

Greece had a long heatwave in July 1987. It killed about 1000 people. You can look it up.

Plus, New York City and large areas of the USA experienced a long heatwave during 1980, between June and August. That one killed about 1500.

While the USA was baking, we were having a very poor summer in 1980.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree but what has that got to do with the original point that was being made that the BBC, media coverage was biased in some way? 

No idea, cause I ignored that, would never defend or deny it as haven't seen much from them, normally watch itv at 6. Are they biased too.

Posted
1 minute ago, Buzz said:

I very much agree, so far 2023 is nothing compared to 2007 and 2012; some people really need to dial back their hatred of a bit of summer cloud and rain.

I walked up the road this morning at about 11am and it was actually freezing my breath as if we were in November alrweady. Yeah a bit of summer cloud and rain indeed. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Oh please come on!

July has been woeful. Just days of cloudy weather with the odd bit of sunshine here and there. No really clear days since early July, or late June.

Even the July evenings seem much darker than they should be, due to the cloudy nature of the weather.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal.
9 minutes ago, Buzz said:

I’m not so sure about that. July 2023 has felt closer to an unsettled September here. Regular 18°C highs are much below average for my location.

Edited by BrynnStorm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Here in Surrey weirdly it’s felt like the last week of August for the last 3 and a bit weeks !! It’s been a poor month however you view it here !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Probably another ‘heat hater’ so what do you expect lol.

18-20c is ‘ideal summer’ for them.

lol 18-20c , I wish, it would be pleasant to even achieve that compared to the 14-16c of late  (imby)

Posted
21 minutes ago, Buzz said:

You're right. Everything I said a couple of pages ago don't matter. They're just an overreaction from me.

I think it's fantastic that the weather is utterly dreadful. Stupendous stuff. And I'm so pleased that a handful of people are having more comfortable night's sleeps. That's what it's all about.

Tally ho.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I would imagine the sun will come out once the kids go back to school, seems to do that quite regularly,  so summer resumes in September 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal.

I welcome variety. If these conditions had lasted ten days, I wouldn’t have minded. It’s being stuck in the same pattern that gets to me.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dagmar said:

You're right. Everything I said a couple of pages ago don't matter. They're just an overreaction from me.

I think it's fantastic that the weather is utterly dreadful. Stupendous stuff. And I'm so pleased that a handful of people are having more comfortable night's sleeps. That's what it's all about.

Tally ho.

So 12 months of chilly dull wet and windy weather is fantastic so you are able to get some sleep. Whatever floats your boat man. 

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

So 12 months of chilly dull wet and windy weather is fantastic so you are able to get some sleep. Whatever floats your boat man. 

I would check my post a couple of pages ago on this thread before jumping to that conclusion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

had a real humdinger of a storm last night...looking on the radar was defiently a super cell or multiples that hit the city from 12.30am to 4.30am 

79177728-daily_photos21401-w.jpg
EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM

I couldn't have been the only person who was rocked awake last night as the skies opened and all of Edmonton was treated to a buffet of thunder and lightning.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
38 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yeah, quite a few poor summers have often improved by August. Aug 2007 was pretty average temperature-wise but dry & sunny, I’d take a repeat of that. August 2012 was warmer than average but not as sunny as 2007. 

1993, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2012, 2016 all had improvements in August after generally awful starts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Heat lovers really taking a beating this year. June was the only exceptional month to speak of. It really doesn't feel great when any sign of warmth on the horizon is taken away all whilst LRFs are already talking about autumn and snow potential in winter. Although I suspect both hot and cold weather fans will be disappointed with the latter half of 2023.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
48 minutes ago, Buzz said:

A bit? Some people need to dial back their hatred of a bit of sunshine and warmth (in summer, no less), but there you go

• Like 6

Posted

Reading the last few pages, people just need to dial it back full stop. 

Has the summer holidays bought out the children in people? 

I almost expect someone to suggest their parent could beat up someone else's given the silly back and forth sniping going on! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Just imagine all of us in a room with locked doors and windows.  How many of us would be alive after the first 24 hours😂. There will be a few murderer's though given the sniping on here. Freindly community my Axxe 😲

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 hours ago, Dagmar said:

Another pitiful day. Skies heavy, pouring with rain. Nothing is thriving. The trees are heavy and drooping, wildlife is silent, there are no kids playing out in the first week of their holidays. Cafés are empty, ice cream unsold. Sporting fixtures ruined. Money wasted. Dreadful.

Everything looks sorry. Utterly pitiful.

To think people like this sort of thing. It's perverse.

Conscious this reads like something Morrissey would write but whatever. I'm done with it.

It's such a shame. Indeed, we don't want the extreme heat for prolonged periods, but the majority of people, for the majority of summer last year, simply looked/seemed happy. Life was abundant. Al fresco and outdoor business booming, bugs and birds aplenty, children laughing, tourists enjoying themselves etc.

This year, other than the warm spell in June...just the opposite. There's a dullness and forlorn feel to everything and everyone. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm,sunny,cheerful!.
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

A bit?.Every day more like!.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
7 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's such a shame. Indeed, we don't want the extreme heat for prolonged periods, but the majority of people, for the majority of summer last year, simply looked/seemed happy. Life was abundant. Al fresco and outdoor business booming, bugs and birds aplenty, children laughing, tourists enjoying themselves etc.

This year, other than the warm spell in June...just the opposite. There's a dullness and forlorn feel to everything and everyone. 

I was suffering in that heat but I was strangely very happy with it. Reminded me of holidays in Greece and Italy, fabulous. Can't wait for it to happen again, although we really do need to be better prepared. I suspect people will criticise any attempt to do so after this July and pretend that every summer is like this... "but summer 2023 was cool and wet, why do we need to invest in infrastructure designed for cooling" 🙄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm,sunny,cheerful!.

Another glorious summer's day of unrelenting grey cloud,and drizzle.Dress it up any way you like,but this summer is garbage.Europe has a summer,and we have continual autumn and winter.Why anyone wants to live in this miserable hole I don't know!.😟

• Like 2