Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Heavy rain here and the wind blowing in from the North Sea 

14 Celsius enough said 

Managed a semi decent afternoon yesterday 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, marky810 said:

I think it was the August bank holiday 1986.

Yes it was the late bank holiday of 1986. 

That august was so horrible.  Constant cloudy and cool, with also some warm muggy cloudy days.

I remember some overnight thunderstorms on a Sunday night during August that year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some minor flooding in places around here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
26 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Indeed, it's almost like transitioning from 2 different climates completely, in a 2 month period. June being very continental, almost "South of France" esque - not boiling like the Mediterranean but generally warm, sunny and dry.

And then July being the opposite, closer to Bergen or Torshavn climate just with slightly warmer temps.

Maybe that’s what they mean by climate change… 😅

26 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Indeed, it's almost like transitioning from 2 different climates completely, in a 2 month period. June being very continental, almost "South of France" esque - not boiling like the Mediterranean but generally warm, sunny and dry.

And then July being the opposite, closer to Bergen or Torshavn climate just with slightly warmer temps.

Maybe that’s what they mean by climate change… 😅

Must be near the centre of the low now. Not a breath of wind and convective raindrops but mostly light rain.

• Like 3

Posted

Very calm here, too. A bit of a no man's land as we're just south of the main wraparound occlusion which is now pivoting back south ready to dampen our evening here. Not far enough away from the front to enjoy any brightness, mind. Rather still and eerie!

• Like 2

Posted

Now I grant you, our weather at the moment is unseasonably shocking, but it seems every yellow warning is now top of the Sky News agenda. Though it helps with awareness of inclement weather conditions, I'm not sure overall that the overexposure of relatively minor warnings is a good thing - I think it'll only breed more apathy towards the Met by Joe Public in the long run which may be all the more concerning when the next amber/red warning occurs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

For my area I think a July would look like this compared to other places. 

Dreadful July= Bergen or Siktia Alaska 
Poor July= Tofino BC or Edinburgh 
Average= Well here 😛
Good July= Seattle,Nantes or Paris
Outstanding July= Portland Oregon or Bordeaux 

Its funny the way folks talk about Portland you'd think it was some Reykjavik type climate when it has a climate similar to Bordeaux or Genona. 

Posted

17c, almost black sky and it's hammering down. August has decided to go back in time to this July🙄.

What a contrast to yesterday.

Edit: Monsoon-like rain.

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
16 minutes ago, sunnysideup said:

Very calm here,

Wish I could say the same! The rain is blowing in horizontal sheets where I am, umbrella is useless (not just because it'll blow inside out, but because the rain is coming at you FACE ON. 

Horrific conditions. Genuinely feels like when I was in Reykjavik last November, just a tad milder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
1 minute ago, Catbrainz said:

For my area I think a July would look like this compared to other places. 

Dreadful July= Bergen or Siktia Alaska 
Poor July= Tofino BC or Edinburgh 
Average= Well here 😛
Good July= Seattle,Nantes or Paris
Outstanding July= Portland Oregon or Bordeaux 

Its funny the way folks talk about Portland you'd think it was some Reykjavik type climate when it has a climate similar to Bordeaux or Genona. 

The American west coast climate is kind of bizarre to be fair. San Francisco is very mild and doesn't get as hot as often as the inland does, parts of coastal Northern California have a climate comparable to parts of Alaska and Scotland, then as you go further north it starts getting warmer again. British Columbia has Mediterranean climates on some of its coastline.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

The American west coast climate is kind of bizarre to be fair. San Francisco is very mild and doesn't get as hot as often as the inland does, parts of coastal Northern California have a climate comparable to parts of Alaska and Scotland, then as you go further north it starts getting warmer again. British Columbia has Mediterranean climates on some of its coastline.

Cities like Seattle have cool-summer Mediterranean climates because of their rainfall pattern (very wet winters, significantly drier summers). They also have very sunny summers compared to the UK because they come under the influence of the semipermanent North Pacific high from June to August. It’s like the Azores high moving over Southern Europe during the summer. 

Go check the forecasts for Seattle and Vancouver if you want to be jealous. They seem to get hot sunny summers every year now. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes 03 and 06(poor cloudy august) were both great summers. I don’t always show the 2000s much love lol.

tbf after 2006 it went downhill so I can't blame you there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
8 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

It is. I also kinda find it baffling how Portland, Seattle and Vancouver can be rainy and dull for 9 months out of 12 but then still get amazing summers. They are prone to poor rainy springs and even June can be cool and rainy there, but from July to September they get amazing weather without fail (or very rarely that there is a poor spell). Why can't Norther Europe have the same pattern, so that the jetstream bugs off and stays north 99% of the time in Jul-Sept 😆 

Edited by IcySpicy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Still no rain over here. In fact, the sun is out. 😁🌤️

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Cities like Seattle have cool-summer Mediterranean climates because of their rainfall pattern (very wet winters, significantly drier summers). They also have very sunny summers compared to the UK because they come under the influence of the semipermanent North Pacific high from June to August. 

Go check the forecasts for Seattle and Vancouver if you want to be jealous. They seem to get hot sunny summers every year now. 

Indeed, virtually nowhere in North America gets summers like us Brits have the potential to get. Even the dullest and wettest areas in North America, renowned for their grim summed (by American standards) such as Seattle or Portland, consistently have summers that - if we were to have - would end up ranking up there with the likes of 2018 lol. 

We are talking temps pretty consistently in the mid 20s and most importantly, alot, lot more sunshine hours. They get alot of rain too in those areas but it's generally condensed into just very rainy days.

The issue with Britain is that our rainfall in summer might not actually be as high as somehwre like Oregon or Washington, but it's spread out over numerous days where it just lightly drizzles from morning to night lol. No use to anyone...

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Cities like Seattle have cool-summer Mediterranean climates because of their rainfall pattern (very wet winters, significantly drier summers). They also have very sunny summers compared to the UK because they come under the influence of the semipermanent North Pacific high from June to August. 

I can attest to that. I can also attest to the fact that without question you get people saying Seattle is the same as here. It isn't. Summer is dry and warmer, remarkably so compared to say the "semi arid, hotter than "insert package holiday location"  London.

image.thumb.png.d5c4b8ca49018499621b97930577405c.png image.thumb.png.e54630906cc65c2139a3a0bcba48e945.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
7 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

It is. I also kinda find it baffling how Portland, Seattle and Vancouver can be rainy and dull for 9 months out of 12 but then still get amazing summers. They are prone to poor rainy springs and even June can be cool and rainy there, but from July to September they get amazing weather without fail (or very rarely that there is a poor spell). Why can't Norther Europe have the same pattern, so that the jetstream bugs off and stays north 99% of the time in Jul-Sept 😆 

I agree, though I wouldn’t say they are dull 9 months of the year or even here in the uk for that matter but they do get amazing reliable summers unlike here in the uk where we never know which way it’ll go.

Your English is amazing, where did you learn it if you don’t mind me asking?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Downburst said:

I can attest to that. I can also attest to the fact that without question you get people saying Seattle is the same as here. It isn't. Summer is dry and warmer, remarkably so compared to say the "semi arid, hotter than "insert package holiday location"  London.

image.thumb.png.d5c4b8ca49018499621b97930577405c.png image.thumb.png.e54630906cc65c2139a3a0bcba48e945.png

We’re truly the cursed isles. 

• Like 2

Posted

Odd how life has to change with this weather. I am now leaving umbrellas behind where ever I go. A new thing to have to bring with me. Phone, wallet, keys and now umbrella. that all has to come home too. Lost a pair of glasses int the garden, went to opticians this morning, left umbrella behind. Both these objects are hard to keep. I blame the weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Donna Nook, Lincolnshire MSLP bottomed out at 982 hPa according to WeatherOnline.

The last time I've been able to find a depression as deep as that over England in the first half of August was all the way back on 5th August 1985. Other deep depressions have been either over Ireland/Scotland or in the second half.

image.thumb.png.73cd66fde18dfa0fba2df79376a45b17.png

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
50 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some minor flooding in places around here

Same here down the coast, the rain is torrential and the wind has picked noticeably,

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, B87 said:

London finished the month with 61.4mm of rain. Notably wet but not extreme when compared to some other Julys.

I had 90mm in my part of central ish London very wet. I had 130mm in 2021 though, with 54mm on one day! 

Edited by Daniel*