Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, al78 said:

My allotment is a write-off. The persistent dull damp weather has resulted in rapid weed growth and a slug explosion so all the leafy crops planted out in the preceeding bone dry period which failed to establish properly have now been destroyed. Time to throw in the towel, I don't know how to get anything decent out of an allotment with these randomised wet and dry seasons.

Thankfully i didnt grow any veg this year as I did new flower beds. The strawberries I grew were smaller this year than last year most likely due to getting a late start due to the cool spring 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
32 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Interesting seeing that people mentioning they're feeling tired all the time. For me it's been one of the best summers for sleep. A silver lining of the gloom and rain is that my indoor temperature has never been so tolerable through the summer months! My air conditioning has been sat gathering dust for a month.

Sadly, any money saved on not using A/C is more than offset by much greater use of the tumble dryer.

Unless it's the non-existence of all the thunderstorms that are boring peeps to tears? The predictions really have been pathetic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The one good thing about all this rain is the new lawn (from seed) is taking off. Can barely keep up with the mowing. Shrubs and new trees doing well, too. Rained all afternoon here and it feels quite cool now at 18°C

• Like 1

Posted

I’ve posted before about the virus I’ve caught - which has given me laryngitis, which I’m prone to but I normally get around October or November time —— I do wonder if the weather has effected my health, as others have stated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

I’ve posted before about the virus I’ve caught - which has given me laryngitis, which I’m prone to but I normally get around October or November time —— I do wonder if the weather has effected my health, as others have stated.

A bug has been going around at my workplace too. Maybe people spending more time in close quarters indoors like they would in autumn/winter has resulted in more illness spreading around. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

mine is allergies, not sure exactly what the allergy is, but always have tight chest and blocked nose with rain in July and Aug,  so have to have window shut, the drier and warmer it is the better with no allergy symptoms

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
20 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

Tonnes of people hacking, coughing and sniffling on the trains on my commute to and from work. Very rarely hear that sort of sounds en masse until late Autumn at earliest.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, seabreeze86 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some minor flooding in places around here

The access road to our site near Whitby has a dip in it and it's currently a river 10ft across and a foot deep so still just passable. Never seen that in 15yrs of coming here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Thankfully i didnt grow any veg this year as I did new flower beds. The strawberries I grew were smaller this year than last year most likely due to getting a late start due to the cool spring 

Today has been a complete write off! We only had about an hours sun here in North Wales. Been raining for the last two hours. My poor apple tree looks sorry for itself. Flooding in the back garden right now. 

Whenever i visit Whitby it always rains! Central heating is on full blast tonight!

Edited by WeatherEnthusiast

Posted
22 minutes ago, cheese said:

A bug has been going around at my workplace too. Maybe people spending more time in close quarters indoors like they would in autumn/winter has resulted in more illness spreading around. 

On top of the bad weather i have managed to get a chest infection despite the fact that I WFH and dont mingle with anyone! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, WeatherEnthusiast said:

On top of the bad weather i have managed to get a chest infection despite the fact that I WFH and dont mingle with anyone! 

new account? in W Midlands

Posted
2 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

Yes, I agree that the absence of true seasons (see what I did there?! lol) is really not good. Although I can't cope with heat these days and found last summer ghastly, I am old enough to remember four proper, distinct seasons, and I miss that these days (especially proper autumns and winters). Mental health wellbeing is of course highly individual (personally I don't feel 'right' with excessive mildness in winter or a long tail to summer running into October), but I am a firm believer that all this 'odd' weather affects physical health. It seems that none of us have got what we want this year so far!

When did we lose the proper seasons, if you could pin it down to a particular year?

I think hot sunny summers make people feel much better, but everyone looks so miserable at the moment.

Cold frosty sunny winters are just as good. 

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

More people have had colds this summer because of the poor weather. 

This damp cool and humid weather isn’t healthy.

12 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Tonnes of people hacking, coughing and sniffling on the trains on my commute to and from work. Very rarely hear that sort of sounds en masse until late Autumn at earliest.

Yeah, it’s the poor summer weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

When did we lose the proper seasons, if you could pin it down to a particular year?

I think hot sunny summers make people feel much better, but everyone looks so miserable at the moment.

Cold frosty sunny winters are just as good. 

hot sunny/dry summers means no allergy probs for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
29 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

mine is allergies, not sure exactly what the allergy is, but always have tight chest and blocked nose with rain in July and Aug,  so have to have window shut, the drier and warmer it is the better with no allergy symptoms

Same here.

Posted

Imagine if we get an exceptionally mild Christmas, with maxiams reaching 18-20c. You would be spending the day outside in the "early spring" sunshine rather than inside drinking hot chocolate, like with all those grey Christmases we had.

Edited by baddie
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.
1 minute ago, baddie said:

Imagine if we get an exceptionally mild Christmas, with maxiams reaching 18-20c. You would be spending the day outside in the "early spring" sunshine rather than set by the fire. Would be the best Christmas ever

Honestly that’s just as bad as this weather. I don’t want the 18c and probably dull weather all year! Give me some snow or cold sun for Christmas! Most of the time mild weather in winter is cloudy, so if it was 18c it would probably be dull and drizzly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthSeaCloud said:

Honestly that’s just as bad as this weather. I don’t want the 18c and probably dull weather all year! Give me some snow or cold sun for Christmas! Most of the time mild weather in winter is cloudy, so if it was 18c it would probably be dull and drizzly.

But think of it like that February 2019 freak, sunny weather, but in December

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.
Just now, baddie said:

But think of it like that February 2019 freak, sunny weather, but in December

Yeah that would be nice, suns a lot stronger in feb though and that helps the  cloud burn away. I like winter in winter personally though. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, baddie said:

Imagine if we get an exceptionally mild Christmas, with maxiams reaching 18-20c. You would be spending the day outside in the "early spring" sunshine rather than inside drinking hot chocolate, like with all those grey Christmases we had.

That would be nice. Fam around, kids playing in the garden, doors & windows open, letting in plenty of fresh air. Better than house rammed, with little ventilation and peeps getting in the way of each other at times. Bring on a very mild, dry Christmas👍😁.

Posted
Just now, Bristle Si said:

That would be nice. Fam around, kids playing in the garden, doors & windows open, letting in plenty of fresh air. Better than house rammed, with little ventilation and peeps getting in the way of each other at times. Bring on a very mild, dry Christmas👍😁.

Probably a 0.001% chance of it happening. But I think something similar to February 2019 record breaking heat and relentless sunshine would occur in the last week of October, allowing an exceptional 25c Halloween

Posted
11 minutes ago, baddie said:

A mild sunny Christmas is something I don’t like.

Experienced it in the late 80s and it was strange to have blue skies, wall to wall sunshine and very mild temps in London. 

The grey mild and damp, even if not as cold as it should be, still feels more festive than mild and sunny for me at Christmas time.

5 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

It’s more likely we will get one this year because of El Niño. 

I hope to be in Latvia for that, and see some snow.

2 minutes ago, baddie said:

Probably a 0.001% chance of it happening. But I think something similar to February 2019 record breaking heat and relentless sunshine would occur in the last week of October, allowing an exceptional 25c Halloween

21c in early November happened in 1994.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, NorthSeaCloud said:

We did get very mild and sunny one Christmas Day many years ago. Was like an April day.

• Like 1

Posted

I swear every time I’ve gone to sit outside in the evening this week (wrapped up of course) - it’s started raining. Genuinely the most horrible spell of summer weather I can ever recall. 

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

More so an Austrailian Style Christmas, where its summer there

Edited by baddie