Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
20 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Ah man, if we had 800-1000 more hours sunshine per year extra, I don't think I'd ever moan again haha!

i get over 3000 hours of sunshine per year and im still peeved when its cloudy and or raining

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i get over 3000 hours of sunshine per year and im still peeved when its cloudy and or raining

Cor 3000, I wish I was born in America/Canada etc! We had about just under 2000 hours in total last year in my area, which I didn't think was too bad but damn, 3000!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, markyo said:

I suspect the issue is the frequency now of the extreme temps in the UK, folk find them hard to cope with, a Summer as you say of 23/28c not every day because that would be ridiculous to expect on Island in the Atlantic but interspaced with cooler rainier spells, who wouldn't y take?, especially after the extremes we have been enduring in heat and drought. A good summer is a summer for everyone.

I completely understand people not enjoying extreme temperatures. No argument from me there. But despite temperatures having risen in heatwaves in recent years, extreme temperatures only last a day or two, rarely longer. Most of summer is still the typical British dreary offering. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

Personally I would love a "traditional British summer" this year, as in mostly indifferent, some cool showery periods and a couple of heatwaves followed by thundery breakdowns, with temps broadly around average.  Is that too much to ask for?  😆

Posted

A 1994 or 81 style summer would be ok, but 94 would be better, as he had a warm second half to June with storms and a hot July.

81 only really had a good August, while the rest of the summer was poor.

83, or 84 would be ideal but too hot for some.

2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A 1994 or 81 style summer would be ok, but 94 would be better, as he had a warm second half to June with storms and a hot July.

A repeat of last year without the naff end to June please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
On 21/04/2023 at 00:41, stainesbloke said:

I completely understand people not enjoying extreme temperatures. No argument from me there. But despite temperatures having risen in heatwaves in recent years, extreme temperatures only last a day or two, rarely longer. Most of summer is still the typical British dreary offering. 

If you look back for instance ie 1911, the historic heat lasted for weeks and weeks ,we seem these days to have a very short burst of heat and it's gone ,whereas our historic heatwaves lasted for much longer without the heat blips , but it's all happened before ,long before records were written down...😮

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

If you look back for instance ie 1911, the historic heat lasted for weeks and weeks ,we seem these days to have a very short burst of heat and it's gone ,whereas our historic heatwaves lasted for much longer without the heat blips , but it's all happened before ,long before records were written down...😮

1976 was the classic long lasting heat wave for most of us.

- Looking back further the 1730 decade had  very similar set of circumstances with average temperatures 1.5 -2.5C  degrees warmer that the preceding 30years.  Going back a little further we see the coldest decade of the last 500 years so I have ignored that, as it was the fore-runner to the little ice age, (otherwise I could have said 2.5 - 3.5C warmer!) . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

While we may be blighted currently with cold uppers from our NE and North frequently muscling in the rest of the Hemisphere (seemingly barring NE U.S.?) is already suffering extreme heatwaves

Over recent years even Siberia has been seeing 100f so, soon enough, there will be no cold to trouble us but plenty of extreme heat from both the South & from over the near continent (augmented if Nino kicks off big style?)

Whatever summer we get I'd guess it will be warm & the only thing to figure out is how much cloud cover & rain we see?....& the rain will, as ever, potentially be torrential on occasions leading to local flooding issues

If we see High pressures settle over us then, as we saw last year, some extreme Heat will surely arise?

The one thing we've been lacking in recently (in my location?) has been Storms.....Heat, & our atmosphere's growing ability to take up moisture, is surely priming us for some absolute bangers should conditions conspire so let's see how this 'warm Season' treats us this Summer?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

While we may be blighted currently with cold uppers from our NE and North frequently muscling in the rest of the Hemisphere (seemingly barring NE U.S.?) is already suffering extreme heatwaves

Having an extremely cold spell across many parts of the US and even Siberia at the moment. 
There are some positive anomalies too of course, but that cold over the US looks fairly extreme! Could contain: Chart, Plot, Astronomy, Outer Space, Planet, Plate 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Personally I would love a "traditional British summer" this year, as in mostly indifferent, some cool showery periods and a couple of heatwaves followed by thundery breakdowns, with temps broadly around average.  Is that too much to ask for?  😆

What's your average? And yes it's too much - You either freeze - 14c or you boil 34c ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
2 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

The one thing we've been lacking in recently (in my location?) has been Storms.....Heat, & our atmosphere's growing ability to take up moisture, is surely priming us for some absolute bangers should conditions conspire so let's see how this 'warm Season' treats us this Summer?

I am thinking that where the spring hasn't been that warm so far, if we get spanish plume conditions the channel will be cold, so we could see some absolute bangers.  Think 7th June 1996

Spain has been warm too  so this could realistically happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SummerShower said:

I am thinking that where the spring hasn't been that warm so far, if we get spanish plume conditions the channel will be cold, so we could see some absolute bangers.  Think 7th June 1996

Yeah, I’m getting late May thunderstorm vibes right now, and predict one for the last Saturday of the month, late evening into the night. With more storms on the Sunday with temps topping 29-30c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I’m getting late May thunderstorm vibes right now, and predict one for the last Saturday of the month, late evening into the night. With more storms on the Sunday with temps topping 29-30c.

That would be great if that happened, and would be similar to the same time in 2018

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Over recent years even Siberia has been seeing 100f so, soon enough, there will be no cold to trouble us but plenty of extreme heat from both the South & from over the near continent (augmented if Nino kicks off big style?)

Whatever summer we get I'd guess it will be warm & the only thing to figure out is how much cloud cover & rain we see?....& the rain will, as ever, potentially be torrential on occasions leading to local flooding issues

If we see High pressures settle over us then, as we saw last year, some extreme Heat will surely arise?

Yes, but you know the UK climate is really good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and is often cloudy, damp and chilly, while everyone else is enjoying a nice Aperol Spritz in beautiful sunshine and warmth. A high pressure area sat directly over the UK usually isn’t too hot, so that’d be nice rather than extreme heat. Hopefully some decent thundery activity at least, this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
4 hours ago, IW Met said:

Having an extremely cold spell across many parts of the US and even Siberia at the moment. 
There are some positive anomalies too of course, but that cold over the US looks fairly extreme! Could contain: Chart, Plot, Astronomy, Outer Space, Planet, Plate 

NYC was enjoying 90F not long ago, spring extremes are par for the course. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Decent storms without the damaging lighting/rain would be nice. Been so long since we had a good one like that.
Am interested in late May as i'm at a convention in Birmingham for the last weekend of May. The overnight storm of 2018 was awesome to watch, looking over the lake from the room.

Also, i'd like plenty of Sun. It gives us the tasty stuff to eat later on in the year and it runs the solar high enough to give me free A/C (I usually keep the indoor temp in the low 20's). I kinda rely so much on accessing A/C with my breathing being as bad as it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A definite no to 1981 from me, as May was terrible and June and July cool and dull (though thankfully I was in southwestern France for half of June so personally I did experience a decent month). I'm likely to be out of the UK in August (and July) this year, so I'm more keen to see a good May and June.

I'd say yes to a June/July 1994 but wouldn't like to see a repeat of the May...

13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I certainly wouldn't class 1984 too hot. It was in many ways the ideal summer, with each month warmer, drier and sunnier than normal but never too hot. Many days in the 23-27 range. The Azores high repeatedly built, separated by short changeable periods (shorter than the settled periods).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
6 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Spain has been warm too  so this could realistically happen.

Would a cold Channel cause big storms though? Wouldn't that help kill convection being imported from France?

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 20/04/2023 at 19:56, simshady said:

I'm just hoping we don't get the horrible furnace of last year. I would be quite happy if this summer didn't breach 25c.

No 25c? I don't like extreme temps (35c+), but, no 25 at all would personally be truly horrendous!

After June the nights start drawing in, if we don't get decent temperatures, post-solstice summer basically just feels like one long early autumn.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 22/04/2023 at 09:23, ANYWEATHER said:

I'm not convinced about that, 1911 was an extreme anomaly, it certainly wasn't the norm, and it was followed the next year by an awful summer.

It is not true that records were not written down centuries ago. The HadCET daily mean temperatures go back to the late 18th century, so we could use that dataset to see whether heatwaves in the past did last longer than in recent decades.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/data/v2_0_0_0/meantemp_daily_totals.txt

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 22/04/2023 at 19:51, Summer8906 said:

No 25c? I don't like extreme temps (35c+), but, no 25 at all would personally be truly horrendous!

After June the nights start drawing in, if we don't get decent temperatures, post-solstice summer basically just feels like one long early autumn.

A bit of an exaggeration. The climatological peak in summer temperature is late July or early August, so peak summer lags the solstice by several weeks. It is only as we go through August the shortening daylight hours really become noticable, and August can feel like an early start to autumn if it is a cool and wet month, and we have had some poor Augusts in the last couple of decades.

Posted
42 minutes ago, al78 said:

A bit of an exaggeration. The climatological peak in summer temperature is late July or early August, so peak summer lags the solstice by several weeks. It is only as we go through August the shortening daylight hours really become noticable, and August can feel like an early start to autumn if it is a cool and wet month, and we have had some poor Augusts in the last couple of decades.

Yeah, apart from last year, August has been a poor month all the way back to 2003, with only 2013 and 18 having some nice warm sunny weather.

2020 did, but it was extremely humid and mostly cloudy. Then it turned cool and wet. Not a nice august in my book.

2017 and 19 also had some hot days, mostly around the late bank holidays, but overall the Augusts were very mediocre.

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, apart from last year, August has been a poor month all the way back to 2003, with only 2013 and 18 having some nice warm sunny weather.

2020 did, but it was extremely humid and mostly cloudy. Then it turned cool and wet. Not a nice august in my book.

2017 and 19 also had some hot days, mostly around the late bank holidays, but overall the Augusts were very mediocre.

August 2019 was as sunny as 2016 and warmer. It was easily the best one since 2003, until last August.

Aug 2016: 24.7c/14.6c, 221 hrs

Aug 2019: 25.2c/14.1c, 221 hrs

August 2017 was awful.

Edited by B87

Posted
11 minutes ago, B87 said:

August 2019 was as sunny as 2016 and warmer. It was easily the best one since 2003, until last August.

Aug 2016: 24.7c/14.6c, 221 hrs

Aug 2019: 25.2c/14.1c, 221 hrs

August 2017 was awful.

2019 for me was fairly mediocre and miserable with more cloudy days. For some reason I didn’t like that summer, mostly because of the job I was doing.