Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

After 6 months of generally dark, depressing, unhealthy vileness, it’s quite normal to want something warmer and sunnier. We’re not bats, and sunshine is very healthy in the right doses. The few days of heat we normally get in the UK really don’t justify all the melodrama on here. 
Personally speaking, 40°C wasn’t fun at all but if summer could be around 23-28°C every day then it’d be perfect. And if we could add 800-1000 more hours of sunshine annually, the UK climate would actually be pretty good 😊 

Yeah I agree with this.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Don said:

Again, not true.  I really cannot see where you're coming from with this?!!  I've mentioned the possibility of very high temperatures this summer recently due to the intense early heat building over Iberia and this happened last year, albeit not as early.  However, if that's the way you feel about my posts, please put me on your ignore list and I mean that in the nicest possible way without any hard feelings! ☺️

‘Fearsome heat’ 

Posted
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Read the previous posts to 'fearsome heat'!!

Anyway, think I'm going to take a long break from here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Nobody is saying 40c, but most of us do want 25-30c days for a few weeks at a time. 

err and your point is in relation to my post? I just said a repeat of last extremes would not be good at all. I fully agree, high summer mid 20's even i could whine like the usual that much!🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Don said:

Read the previous posts to 'fearsome heat'!!

Anyway, think I'm going to take a long break from here!

That’d be a shame. No harm meant. It’s just that there have been so many posts worrying about heatwaves, etc from various people since January, it’s getting a bit tiresome

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

That’d be a shame. No harm meant. It’s just that there have been so many posts worrying about heatwaves, etc from various people since January, it’s getting a bit tiresome

I agree with this.

It becomes annoying when we have folk dreading the heat, while we are stuck in the middle of cold weather periods, going back as far as January.

Posted
21 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

After 6 months of generally dark, depressing, unhealthy vileness, it’s quite normal to want something warmer and sunnier. We’re not bats, and sunshine is very healthy in the right doses. The few days of heat we normally get in the UK really don’t justify all the melodrama on here. 
Personally speaking, 40°C wasn’t fun at all but if summer could be around 23-28°C every day then it’d be perfect. And if we could add 800-1000 more hours of sunshine annually, the UK climate would actually be pretty good 😊 

I suspect the issue is the frequency now of the extreme temps in the UK, folk find them hard to cope with, a Summer as you say of 23/28c not every day because that would be ridiculous to expect on Island in the Atlantic but interspaced with cooler rainier spells, who wouldn't y take?, especially after the extremes we have been enduring in heat and drought. A good summer is a summer for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It becomes annoying when we have folk dreading the heat

Sleep?.....need i go further?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I do agree there is a little bit too much melodrama over a single day at 40 degrees. Yes, it indicates a warming climate and all that may entail, however as a standalone day people did go a bit OTT. 

There are many countries around the world that experience those temperatures on a regular basis, and not all of them are geared up for the heat, or at least parts of their societies are not geared up for it. Imagine slum dwellers in India or parts of Africa that have to put up with high temperatures and high humidity throughout the year, with no air conditioning. 

Edited by danm

Posted
19 minutes ago, danm said:

Imagine slum dwellers in India or parts of Africa that have to put up with high temperatures and high humidity throughout the year, with no air conditioning.

I fully agree, enjoy no, endure yes. Big big difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Don said:

I didn't say we didn't need warmth though did I, where did I say that?!  Also, cold weather lovers were guilt tripped during the winter.  As I keep saying, it is wrong to guilt trip one's weather preference be it cold, hot, wet, windy, thundery and so forth.  That said, we are also entitled to talk about weather types we don't like as you have been doing for the last few months.

Whilst I am looking forward to having some heat this summer and would in fact be happy with another 2018, I have noticed that it is seemingly more socially acceptable to hate on cold than it is to hate on heat (both on here and in the outside world). If you say anything negative about the cold during winter then hardly anybody batters an eyelid. But if you say anything negative about heat in summer then you are roasted (pun not intended). I personally enjoy and appreciate them both at the right times of year. Nobody should be guilt tripped, whatever their weather preference.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

I suspect the issue is the frequency now of the extreme temps in the UK, folk find them hard to cope with, a Summer as you say of 23/28c not every day because that would be ridiculous to expect on Island in the Atlantic but interspaced with cooler rainier spells, who wouldn't y take?, especially after the extremes we have been enduring in heat and drought. A good summer is a summer for everyone.

Sleep?.....need i go further?

You can still sleep on a warm night.

I can’t tell you just how cold I feel after walking by the river earlier, while it was clear blue skies and 16c, I still had a big jacket on. 

I was glad I went out with warm clothes despite the sunshine, as it changed as the cloudy rainy cold weather system moved in yet again from the east, and the temp dropped to 14c. There’s also been a persistent nagging cold wind. 

This has been the one issue I’ve had with the colder weather this spring. It feels quite wintry at times. 

I’ll be happy when we have a week or two of mid 20s weather hopefully within the next few weeks. 

Surely this cold vile weather can’t last much longer. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst I am looking forward to having some heat this summer and would in fact be happy with another 2018, I have noticed that it is seemingly more socially acceptable to hate on cold than it is to hate on heat (both on here and in the outside world). If you say anything negative about the cold during winter then hardly anybody batters an eyelid. But if you say anything negative about heat in summer then you are roasted (pun not intended). I personally enjoy and appreciate them both at the right times of year. Nobody should be guilt tripped, whatever their weather preference.

I fully admit I like the cold when it should be cold, and I feel this past winter did deliver in terms of cold frosty days, despite not much snow in my area. But, once we push past mid March, I just want the days to become less cold and more pleasant(17-19c), and into mid late April at least reaching 18-20c on a few days at least.

This hasn’t happened and the cold 10-13c has been the order of the day. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You can still sleep on a warm night.

Thats my point, many find it hard to sleep on a warm night, making the following day a challenge to say the least, we're all different don't forget.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

Thats my point, many find it hard to sleep on a warm night, making the following day a challenge to say the least, we're all different don't forget.

Yeah I know, but sometimes that’s the trade off for nice warm sunny days. The nights naturally will become warmer if the temps are 25c and above during the day(nights still coolish during May), especially once we reach June time and the humidity will start to build.

Last year though, I didn’t have a problem as it was a dry heat. Yes, the couple of 40c days were a bit much even for me, but most of the other periods of hot weather didn’t feel too bad. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah I know, but sometimes that’s the trade off for nice warm sunny days. The nights naturally will become warmer if the temps are 25c and above during the day(nights still coolish during May), especially once we reach June time and the humidity will start to build.

Last year though, I didn’t have a problem as it was a dry heat. Yes, the couple of 40c days were a bit much even for me, but most of the other periods of hot weather didn’t feel too bad. 

Once bedroom gets over 18c i find it very very hard to sleep, that coupled with hayfever with windows open....not good. I honestly to sleep even in the depths of winter with at least one fan on in the bedroom.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Once bedroom gets over 18c i find it very very hard to sleep, that coupled with hayfever with windows open....not good. I honestly to sleep even in the depths of winter with at least one fan on in the bedroom.

You would love it in my studio flat from late September until early May then lol.

Shady and north facing, and still feels cold during the first warm days of the year while the temps in the shade are below 17c.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

You would love it in my studio flat from late September until early May then lol.

Shady and north facing, and still feels cold during the first warm days of the year while the temps in the shade are below 17c.

That is not good for someone like yourself mate( a warmth lover), i know what a massive difference a North aspect can have, you have my sympathies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
21 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

My gut feeling is for an anticyclonic May with plenty of spring warmth and sunshine, followed by a largely benign and forgettable summer. I don't think 35 Celsius will be reached anywhere in the UK this year.

I would guess 35 will be reached, but in a transient two-day wonder.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I'm just hoping we don't get the horrible furnace of last year. I would be quite happy if this summer didn't breach 25c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I won't be embracing 40c! I have school run to do in the middle of that heat. My poor youngest had heat exhaustion last year and a high temperature after school. I wouldn't mind as much if we could lock down and didn't have to go out!! Schools are cruel

But there is stupidity though. 30c is nice and warm enough without baking to death that you feel ill!

Heat doesn’t have to be 40°C… 😉

I’m quite happy with temps in the 25-32 range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

That is not good for someone like yourself mate( a warmth lover), i know what a massive difference a North aspect can have, you have my sympathies.

It’s horrible, as we have to leave the heating on, and have been using it since late September on and off.

The plan is to move to a warmer flat with a south facing living area, but the types of flats we have been coming across are all north facing. 

Until we find something decent and worthwhile, we will just settle for the studio flat. 

1 hour ago, markyo said:

Thanks mate, it can be really uncomfortable and this year has been difficult sitting in the flat feeling cold. Cold feet and cold hands, as the shade still feels chilly until we have daytime highs of 19-20c outside. 

Posted
58 minutes ago, simshady said:

I'm just hoping we don't get the horrible furnace of last year. I would be quite happy if this summer didn't breach 25c.

If Gav’s summer forecast is anything to go by, it sounds like a mixed bag with more thunderstorms, with maybe some warm and cool periods. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Ah man, if we had 800-1000 more hours sunshine per year extra, I don't think I'd ever moan again haha!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Would love a long period of hot sunny weather in July and August, perhaps without the extremes of last year and the chaos that came with that, but weeks on end of 25-32c with some thundery breakdowns once every week or two giving most of our rainfall.

4 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Ah man, if we had 800-1000 more hours sunshine per year extra, I don't think I'd ever moan again haha!

I think I'd become the happiest person alive!

• Like 2