Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
33 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Peng means beautiful. Fam along with bro, blud, bruv another term for mate.

Gassed means excited.

I hate the term fam.

Nobody can call me fam, unless you are my partner or a blood relative.

It’s so commonly used by younger folk in certain communities, and probably by many who would be too eager to stab(pardon the pun) you in the back, if stuff goes south. 

So, if someone addresses me as ‘fam’, I’ll be keeping a close eye on him/her. I certainly won’t trust them lol.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I hate the term fam.

It’s so commonly used by younger folk in certain communities, and probably by many who would be too eager to stab(pardon the pun) you in the back, if stuff goes south. 

So, if someone addresses me as ‘fam’, I’ll be keeping a close eye on him/her. I certainly won’t trust them lol.

It's more of a colloquial term, used mostly with friends. There's many slang words used hundreds of years ago that you'll never hear today, it's just human lexicon.

Anyways, back on topic. It's too damn hot 🥴

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The only time I use ‘fam’ is when I’m being lazy and am actually referring to family 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I hate the term fam.

I will just say some uneasy terminology here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

fam, blud, bro, bruv, used to be 'chav' speak, eg Nick Kyrgios

Used to be?

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 24/08/2023 at 23:09, Sunny76 said:

I think a compromise would be a summer like this, to keep the balance for both sides :

First half of June - cool and sunny, with 2-3 days of rain. From the 10th onwards much warmer temps between 23-26c with wall to wall sunshine. Nights still cool until the 20th. A hot spell from the 21st until the closing day of June, several days of 28-31c. Nights become much warmer.

July - a hot first week of 27-32c with long periods of sunshine, but by week 2 thunderstorms will be quite widespread. Temps will drop to low 20s with 5 days of overcast and cool daytime highs. Nights will be cool during this period. Unsettled between the 8th until the 18th. 

19th until the close of July - a drier sunnier period with average daytime temps of 21-23c, with a cool breeze and some fluffy cloudy days. 

August - a very warm first 10 days, with a heatwave and temps between 26-32c, with the hottest day of the year reaching 34c on August 10th. Severe storms break out in many areas between the 10th until the 12th. Much cooler and more unsettled between 11-20th august. Cool daytime highs if 20-21c, with some 19c days during this period.

August 20th until the 25th will see the last hot spell of the summer with daytime highs of 25-28c, and long periods of sunshine. Feeling warm and humid into the evening. Much cooler from 26th until the 31st. Daytime temps will be around 21c, but dropping to 18c by the close and nighttime temps dropping to low 10s. 

That would be my perfect summer in a 12 week period, even with unsettled poor weather in the mix.

I'd probably agree with much of this, but would have the hottest weather in the second half of July because that "feels" right.

My ideas for such a "mixed" summer would probably be:

First half of June: cool northerly winds. A mix of dry days with some infill and showery days, with one or two sunny dry days. Temps mostly below 20

Second half of June: warm, sunny and dry. Temps still moderate, around 21-27 at the highest.

First week of July: an unsettled phase with a slack low and showers/rain, temps a little on the low side, around 20.

Second and third weeks of July: warm and sunny, with a thundery spell between the second and third week, and a further one at the end of the third week Second week around 28 at the highest, third week hotter, up to around 32.

Fourth week of July and start of August: warm but rather unsettled with thundery outbreaks and sunny periods with a slack southerly type. Temps still widely 25 or so in the south.

4-15 August: sunny and warm or hot, up to 30 at times, ending with a thundery spell

15-25 August: more changeable with some thundery rain from slack lows at times but also some sunny days from ridges of high pressure. Still warm, around 21-25 in the south

26-31 August: cooler but dry, some sunny days, around 20-23

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 24/08/2023 at 19:33, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Wanting some prolonged, or even just a few days here and there, of mid 20s and sunny weather isn't an obsession with having hot weather, it's just a desire to NOT have the same conditions we have in September, October, November, potential December, March, and April! Which is - overcast, temps between the 10 and 16c range, and perhaps a drizzle...

That said, the worst months for dull, drizzle, damp and gloom in much of lowland England are probably November, December, January, and early February, some of which are off your list!

September and April, even perhaps March and sometimes October, are often OK, accepting the fact that this April was disappointing.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
On 24/08/2023 at 12:58, In Absence of True Seasons said:

That's pretty significant tbf! Is it temps increasing notably too, or just less cloud?

I'm wondering whether it's related to a shift from a mean north-of-west flow in summer, influenced by the Azores high (which might make places east of the UK more unsettled) to a mean south-of-west  flow (which would make the UK duller and damper but places further east warmer and sunnier?)

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 02/09/2023 at 20:14, Azazel said:

At least astronomical summer looks like going out with some pleasant weather.

Hopefully it’ll stay freakishly warm until the 1st December where we have a 2010 redux and then spring can start on Jan 1st. 

Here's to hoping...

21 hours ago, Seasonal Trim said:

It's meteorological Autumn now. Astronomical Summer until the 23rd.

Astronomy knows best 😉

Edited by SunnyG

Posted
57 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

Here's to hoping...

Astronomy knows better 😉

Astronomical summer really finished around August 6th, if it means the three months with the greatest daylight, which it really ought to if it's truly "astronomical" summer. Logically, astronomical summer ought to mean the three months centred around the longest day.

I've always found the so-called astronomical seasons, beginning and ending on the equinoxes, illogical and arbitrary. They don't really fit any climates: in warmer climates, autumn might not set in until October, that's true - but spring starts early in February. In colder climates, spring might be delayed until April - but autumn would probably start in August.

Is there anywhere in the world where June 15th feels like spring, with blossom still in bloom and the leaves still very fresh and bright green, but at the same time, December 15th feels like autumn, with brown leaves still on the trees? I'd be surprised. Yet they are the seasons the so-called astronomical definition places those dates into.

The notion of any part of June being placed in spring, or any part of December being in autumn, seems particularly hard to fathom. (The notion of early March being winter and early September being summer is easier to understand though)

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
11 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

The notion of any part of June being placed in spring, or any part of December being in autumn, seems particularly hard to fathom. (The notion of early March being winter and early September being summer is easier to understand though)

I agree, as I based it primarily around daylight length/hours and sunshine strength. The start of September has the same sunshine strength as the start of April, and shorter daylight hours, so it does seem a little backwards to think that the start of June (two months after April) is still 'Spring' whilst the start of September is 'Summer'. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I agree, as I based it primarily around daylight length/hours and sunshine strength. The start of September has the same sunshine strength as the start of April, and shorter daylight hours, so it does seem a little backwards to think that the start of June (two months after April) is still 'Spring' whilst the start of September is 'Summer'. 

Although it's called astronomical, I'd suggest it's down to lag, ie planetary wise, the waters are at Thier hottest now which helps moderate temps upwards through the first half of this month, while usually they start falling. Weirdly that is unlikely to happen during hot spells like we have now here, but in the tropics hurricane season is well on it way now, so it's happening down there, hurricanes are bringing the heat up here.

Posted
19 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Although it's called astronomical, I'd suggest it's down to lag, ie planetary wise, the waters are at Thier hottest now which helps moderate temps upwards through the first half of this month, while usually they start falling. Weirdly that is unlikely to happen during hot spells like we have now here, but in the tropics hurricane season is well on it way now, so it's happening down there, hurricanes are bringing the heat up here.

The lag effect is still accounted for by meteorological seasons though, for example meteorological summer is June-Aug yet the lightest three month period is May 6-Aug 6.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

The lag effect is still accounted for by meteorological seasons though, for example meteorological summer is June-Aug yet the lightest three month period is May 6-Aug 6.

Purely from day length

Nov 7 - Feb 6:  Dark

Feb 7 - May 6: Lengthening

May 7 - Aug 6: Light

Aug 7 - Nov 6:  Darkening

Weather significantly lags though due to stored heat/cold, especially in the oceans.  Hence Dec-Feb, Mar-May, Jun-Aug, Sep-Nov is the best in the UK to my mind.  Astronomical seasons just seem to out of synch with the light levels and natures response to that.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Good point, and the weather although hot has been very autumnal over night, with mist rising at sun set then burning of in the morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The meteorological seasons are perfectly fine imo, but I also usually say that May-September is the extended summer period. 

• Like 2

Posted
On 13/08/2023 at 21:08, Alderc 2.0 said:

See that’s more than acceptable, we had a little sun this morning but it’s been cool, cloudy and breezy most of the day and temps 19-20C. Dry yes but not overly pleasant.

Sorry for the late reply, just going back over this thread but - this post summarises the exact problem with central southern England July and August weather since around 2007. It's not necessarily extremely wet or even extremely dull, but a lot of the time it's this sort of insipid wishy-washy weather that it was on August 13 according to the post above!

Posted
On 11/08/2023 at 22:39, NEVES SCREAMER said:

And summer rarely lasts May till September. In my memory only 1989 and 2003 were true summers May/September. 

May 2003 wasn't - dull, damp and Atlantic-dominated for the most part, only improved for the last 5 days or so. That said the fine weather persisted well into October.

Agree about 1989 though, the year of the endless summer. Historically I think 1947, 1949 and 1959 were similar.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Astronomical summer really finished around August 6th, if it means the three months with the greatest daylight, which it really ought to if it's truly "astronomical" summer. Logically, astronomical summer ought to mean the three months centred around the longest day.

I've always found the so-called astronomical seasons, beginning and ending on the equinoxes, illogical and arbitrary. They don't really fit any climates: in warmer climates, autumn might not set in until October, that's true - but spring starts early in February. In colder climates, spring might be delayed until April - but autumn would probably start in August.

Is there anywhere in the world where June 15th feels like spring, with blossom still in bloom and the leaves still very fresh and bright green, but at the same time, December 15th feels like autumn, with brown leaves still on the trees? I'd be surprised. Yet they are the seasons the so-called astronomical definition places those dates into.

The celtic seasons would be close to what you describe.  Summer ,may  June, July.  Autumn, August, September, Oct....and so on. That is what I was thought in school yrs ago.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
49 minutes ago, cheese said:

The meteorological seasons are perfectly fine imo, but I also usually say that May-September is the extended summer period. 

It's 'extended summer' in terms of the potential for genuinely warm, sunny and settled weather, but it's still not the summer 'season' for me. Because as we know, British weather doesn't always correlate specifically to the season it falls in 😆. Nevertheless...it's still that season. 

My own personal breakdown is based on months really:

Spring:

• March
  • April
  • May

Summer:

• June
  • July
  • August

Autumn:

• September
  • October
  • November

Winter:

• December
  • January 
  • February
Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Personally I think all 3 ideas for true seasons have a great argument so can definitely understand everyones different view points. 

Meteorological seasons make sense as they are much easier for data as you're just using each month's values rather than adding and subtracting from other months and June does indeed feel like an entire summer month most years although 15c is not uncommon in the 1st half.

Astronomical seasons make sense because of the temperature lag effect and especially with September often being warm and sunny and March being often cold. They also line up perfectly with each equinox and solstice.

Daylight seasons also make sense (being, Spring- 5 Feb- 6 May, Summer 7 May- 5 Aug, Autumn 6 Aug- Nov 5, Winter 6 Nov- 4 Feb) as it would actually place all equinoxes & solstices right bang in the middle of each season and often times, Feb can feel spring like, May summer like etc. Main problem of this one is that Autumn would be almost as warm as summer haha.

I think all 3 of these season types have great arguments for and against and I have no problem with someone choosing one or the other. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's 'extended summer' in terms of the potential for genuinely warm, sunny and settled weather, but it's still not the summer 'season' for me. Because as we know, British weather doesn't always correlate specifically to the season it falls in 😆. Nevertheless...it's still that season. 

My own personal breakdown is based on months really:

Spring:

• March
  • April
  • May

Summer:

• June
  • July
  • August

Autumn:

• September
  • October
  • November

Winter:

• December
  • January 
  • February

Yeah it's just the period of the year where genuinely warm and sunny weather is most likely. Obviously it would be unusual for the entire May-September period to be warm and sunny, but it is possible (1989 being the best example).

Edited by cheese

Posted
19 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Astronomical seasons make sense because of the temperature lag effect and especially with September often being warm and sunny and March being often cold. They also line up perfectly with each equinox and solstice.

I know what you mean about (the first half of) September and March to be fair, but it's hard to justify considering any part of June spring or December autumn.

Perhaps it's because (IMO) spring and autumn are defined more by the state of nature than temps.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I know what you mean about (the first half of) September and March to be fair, but it's hard to justify considering any part of June spring or December autumn.

Perhaps it's because (IMO) spring and autumn are defined more by the state of nature than temps.

I think all four seasons are difined by the state of nature in this country. 

Posted

I personally think the solar seasons only work when talking about daylight. If we used them as our main seasons we’d be a month into autumn now and it’s going to be 28-32C all week with trees fully green! In a warm autumn like 2022 we’d still have green trees in early winter! Also May can still be quite cold at night and some trees are still bare like ash, hardly summer.

Whether you use meteorological or astronomical seasons is down to your location. If you live near the sea, there can be strong seasonal lag. Many places in Atlantic Canada and Japan have September warmer than June so astronomical would probably be best there.

Some places in the subarctic have strong continentality and are warmer in May than September so meteorological seasons would work best there.

So I’d say solar seasons when talking about daylight, meteorological in areas with normal or weak seasonal lag and astronomical in areas with strong seasonal lag.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1