Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
47 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I know what you mean about (the first half of) September and March to be fair, but it's hard to justify considering any part of June spring or December autumn.

Perhaps it's because (IMO) spring and autumn are defined more by the state of nature than temps.

I get you but sometimes we get a June 2012/2016 etc which don't feel like summer or on rarer occasions, a December 2015 which is more autumn than winter. As I say, I see all points though :)

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's 'extended summer' in terms of the potential for genuinely warm, sunny and settled weather, but it's still not the summer 'season' for me. Because as we know, British weather doesn't always correlate specifically to the season it falls in 😆. Nevertheless...it's still that season. 

My own personal breakdown is based on months really:

Spring:

• March
  • April
  • May

Summer:

• June
  • July
  • August

Autumn:

• September
  • October
  • November

Winter:

• December
  • January 
  • February

My seasons run the same as yours. But i'm not even thinking of Autumn right now whilst there is hot sun outside!

• Like 3

Posted

If we go by which 3 month block of days is the warmest on average I'd say summer is 10th June - 10th September. Halfway house between metrological and astronomical summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
36 minutes ago, SunSean said:

I get you but sometimes we get a June 2012/2016 etc which don't feel like summer or on rarer occasions, a December 2015 which is more autumn than winter. As I say, I see all points though 🙂

Though arguably June 2012 and 2016 felt like an early autumn! 😉

A "spring like" June would have to be one with persistent northerlies keeping temps stuck in the mid-teens - but bright with it (which is the tricky thing to achieve) - and coming off the back of an unusually cold meteorological spring meaning nature was some weeks behind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

My seasons run the same as yours. But i'm not even thinking of Autumn right now whilst there is hot sun outside!

Hope you’re enjoying it, I’m so glad I decided to stay home and not go abroad….clear blue skies and around 27c most days this week…lovely 

BBC have us down for 27/28c most days…26.9c is the Exeter September record for September, surprised it’s not higher but I’d imagine that will be broken this week a few times  🤭

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Hope you’re enjoying it, I’m so glad I decided to stay home and not go abroad….clear blue skies and around 27c most days this week…lovely 

BBC have us down for 27/28c most days…26.9c is the Exeter September record for September, surprised it’s not higher but I’d imagine that will be broken this week a few times  🤭

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted

Does anyone know what the total sunshine hours are for September that we could get if it was clear blue skies for the whole month please for southern England? 
would be interesting to know as I have a feeling this September is going to be sunny 

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
12 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Does anyone know what the total sunshine hours are for September that we could get if it was clear blue skies for the whole month please for southern England? 
would be interesting to know as I have a feeling this September is going to be sunny 

Probably about 370ish as daylight averages just a touch above 12Hrs.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
46 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

The Weather Channel are more accurate with temperatures and rain actually, I find it very good forecasting site.   

Posted
1 hour ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

The Weather Channel are more accurate with temperatures and rain actually, I find it very good forecasting site.   

Hope not, bbc weather seems more positive for sun 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Currently in Amsterdam for the first time for my first presentation at an international conference on atmospheric remote sensing. What an absolutely perfect week for it, gin blue skies and 28°C.  Absolutely divine.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
32 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Currently in Amsterdam for the first time for my first presentation at an international conference on atmospheric remote sensing. What an absolutely perfect week for it, gin blue skies and 28°C.  Absolutely divine.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Looks beautiful, much more pleasant than the weird off-white haze that's in London at the moment. The sky is actually blue there! As it should be.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Looks beautiful, much more pleasant than the weird off-white haze that's in London at the moment. The sky is actually blue there! As it should be.

Yea same here just a weird white colour!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
48 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Sarah dust?

*Saharan dust for god's sake 🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Currently 27c here. Just amazing how down the road on the coast, it’s laden with North Sea crud! Hunstanton literally on the boundary between a grey drab day and a scorcher! Sheringham not so lucky. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Currently 27c here. Just amazing how down the road on the coast, it’s laden with North Sea crud! Hunstanton literally on the boundary between a grey drab day and a scorcher! Sheringham not so lucky. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Shame that we're still dealing with North Sea murk in September, the time of year I'd least expect it. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Shame that we're still dealing with North Sea murk in September, the time of year I'd least expect it. 

In fairness, we are seeing easterlies of almost no strength with a fairly long night now. I think it's just that we don't normally get stagnant easterlies this time of year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
On 18/01/2023 at 13:57, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I can see March being an extension of winter, but with a few springlike days days here and there. I feel that after 3 consecutive below average rainfall Aprils, this year's one will be wetter than average and possibly the wettest since 2012. This is to be followed by an anticyclonic May with plenty of spring warmth and sunshine.

As this thread comes to a close it's interesting to look back and see how spot on (or completely wrong) some people's predictions were.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Sea breeze is ridiculously potent again taking 4-5C off temps in a matter of minutes. 

Sounds perfect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
17 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

As this thread comes to a close it's interesting to look back and see how spot on (or completely wrong) some people's predictions were.

I was spot on with March and April and half right about May. 

Perhaps one day I'll be able to correctly predict the winning lottery numbers. 😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cheese said:

was bad yes, lifted fully around 11.30

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
37 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

was bad yes, lifted fully around 11.30

Yes according to the BBC,Birmingham is on the east coast again if you get my meaning..