Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

I think that is a good point in the post above, there be some who will see snow but it won't lay because its too wet, some will see sleet and on the GFS especially the gradient is pretty tight so you could quickly see snow turning back to rain and then vice versa as the cold air tucks back in again.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yes. Don’t be dazzled by the pink. This setup is very marginal and parts will see rain or sleet - possibly many areas. There is likely to be a sweet spot that is impossible to identify even at this short range that will see a good snowfall for a time - but my instincts looking at the charts and the daytime temperatures are that this is a scenario where people are best to set the bar pretty low and then if you are in one of those fortunate areas where the conditions click be pleasantly surprised.

I think tonight is probably a banker at this point, especially given the timing negates several of those very marginal factors and the front looks legitimately strong at the moment. Its obviously not going to last long but I suspect it may end up overperforming the models, I've seen several of these types of situations give higher amounts than you'd expect.

I think the concerns you have are warranted, especially on Thursday as the milder marginal stuff moves up. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a wintry mix lower down, whilst in the higher grounds like the pennines they get pretty huge totals. 

I think the main thing to watch will be frontal strength. so to speak, the hotter it comes in, the greater the chances that evaporative cooling will overcome the issues you mentioned.

I also think its telling that normally conservative/realistic models like ICON/AROME when it comes to snowfall accumulating are giving pretty widespread snow at various points.

PS - watch the formative El Nino end up becoming top end moderate/strong just to screw us over! I think a weak-low end moderate El nino could be very interesting, especially as historically that tends to be the bullseye for lowest -ve NAO figures for winters (somewhere between +0.8 and +1.2)

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Harmonie vs the latest radar and again the short range models are struggling with the NE extent of the ppn in the southern irish sea.

this for 10pm.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Rainforest, Tree, VegetationCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

a lot could have surprise snow fall on there dorstep in the morning.

Currently ARPEGE 18Z is bang on the radar for right now. Harmonie not bad. AROME is miles out.

Oh and to add to @kold weather, absolutely, once a strong front is guaranteed then projected precipitation totals are slightly pinch of salt, 20mm forecast could lead to anything 10-30mm, we don't tend to notice with rain but happens all the time.

I'm getting pretty confident there will be disruption by the morning on higher routes in the south e.g. A3 Hindhead, and further north as the day goes on.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
19 minutes ago, near northampton said:

Scandinavian Highs are as rare as Rocking horse poo, yet they are seemingly mentioned wished for hopecasted several times daily in this thread, do you know the last time there was such a feature? I don't suspect several years ago

Greeny/Scandy perfect sausage 2018

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Modern Art, Nature

More conventional, traditional Scandy block from the epic week of 1987. But you are correct - perfect Scandy Highs are rare. 
Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, Nature, Graphics

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

ARPEGE snow chart:  Warning: does not represent the final layer on the ground, does not take into account settlement, melting.

Yes it's a good point which was touched upon earlier this afternoon,

The only areas likely to reach shown amounts are areas above 250m

I find arome tends to be able to pick out the elevated parts quite well 

Attached is only up to 51 hours so, doesn't include Friday mornings totals, but it's probably more representative compared to the arpege.

Regarding amber warnings, I think they would be warranted- because  the areas under heavy evaporated cooling could become quite treacherous in a short space of time, especially the road network.

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation, Atlas

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
10 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yes. Don’t be dazzled by the pink. This setup is very marginal and parts will see rain or sleet - possibly many areas. There is likely to be a sweet spot that is impossible to identify even at this short range that will see a good snowfall for a time - but my instincts looking at the charts and the daytime temperatures are that this is a scenario where people are best to set the bar pretty low and then if you are in one of those fortunate areas where the conditions click be pleasantly surprised. Expecting this setup to deliver widely in terms of an all snow event that will stick and survive I think might lead to widespread cursing. I’ll be interested to see tomorrow if the Met turn any of the warnings amber because so far they are clearly not convinced of significant impacts and have left everything yellow. The media are fanning the flames - even the moderate minded BBC were getting all excited on the news - but I can see a lot of mixing going on given the angle of the Atlantic attack and it might end up being a scenario where experience trumps models.

Hope very much to be proven overly pessimistic still.

The overall pattern sliding away as the block hotfoots to Canada. I would not have expected this ridge to be so quick to retrogress and collapse when looking at the shape of things at the start of the month but without the vortex split perhaps it was naive to expect a -AO to hang around for long.

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Pattern, Outdoors

Bring on 2023/24….winter of eQBO, Nino and the dramatic late December split. 😜

Think we just got unlucky, longer term, as there was no US systems to prop the E & W USA blocks in place, which in turn are just eeking the trop PV back into it's usual positions.

Though from a glass half full perspective, we've been lucky just to get in this position but may well be last chance saloon, so best of luck this week.

Will the volatility in the mid terms continue but seems they are settling on the return to norm, so perhaps Spring not that far away

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO 18z looks pretty far S

UKMHDOPEU18_54_1.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
25 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yes. Don’t be dazzled by the pink. This setup is very marginal and parts will see rain or sleet - possibly many areas. There is likely to be a sweet spot that is impossible to identify even at this short range that will see a good snowfall for a time - but my instincts looking at the charts and the daytime temperatures are that this is a scenario where people are best to set the bar pretty low and then if you are in one of those fortunate areas where the conditions click be pleasantly surprised. Expecting this setup to deliver widely in terms of an all snow event that will stick and survive I think might lead to widespread cursing. I’ll be interested to see tomorrow if the Met turn any of the warnings amber because so far they are clearly not convinced of significant impacts and have left everything yellow. The media are fanning the flames - even the moderate minded BBC were getting all excited on the news - but I can see a lot of mixing going on given the angle of the Atlantic attack and it might end up being a scenario where experience trumps models.

Hope very much to be proven overly pessimistic still.

The overall pattern sliding away as the block hotfoots to Canada. I would not have expected this ridge to be so quick to retrogress and collapse when looking at the shape of things at the start of the month but without the vortex split perhaps it was naive to expect a -AO to hang around for long.

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Pattern, Outdoors

Bring on 2023/24….winter of eQBO, Nino and the dramatic late December split. 😜

Just a point on the Metoffice warning for Thur/Fri- it’s only yellow because it’s at maximum uncertainty. It’s at the highest impact level it can be.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
8 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Where did you find that?

I didn't know ukmo do an 18z

You can get it on Wetter. If you take the time stamps then it would equate to UKMO 12z 60hr chart for comparison I think (taking off 1 hour UK V EU time)

Adjust the advance time to 6hr steps.

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Wetterkarten UKMO EU Europe 18Z

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
14 minutes ago, Mucka said:

You can get it on Wetter. If you take the time stamps then it would equate to UKMO 12z 60hr chart for comparison I think (taking off 1 hour UK V EU time)

Adjust the advance time to 6hr steps.

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Wetterkarten UKMO EU Europe 18Z

Is that the same as the UKMO HD on Meteociel?

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose de manière régulière le modèle à maille fine UKMO 0.1° du UK MetOffice (météo angaise) sur 5 zones (France, Nord-Ouest, Nord-Est, Sud-Ouest, Sud-Est et pays limitrophes)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
39 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Where did you find that?

I didn't know ukmo do an 18z

Meteociel does have the short 6z and 18z runs but for some reason only has country-specific charts for these.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map

Meteologix seems to have all the global output from these runs, but its charts are quite different to what we're used to.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Text

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Is that the same as the UKMO HD on Meteociel?

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose de manière régulière le modèle à maille fine UKMO 0.1° du UK MetOffice (météo angaise) sur 5 zones (France, Nord-Ouest, Nord-Est, Sud-Ouest, Sud-Est et pays limitrophes)

It's possible, but the charts are in a more familiar format for comparison with other models and UKMO 12z.

Short answer, I don't know.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, geordiekev said:

Think we just got unlucky, longer term, as there was no US systems to prop the E & W USA blocks in place, which in turn are just eeking the trop PV back into it's usual positions.

Though from a glass half full perspective, we've been lucky just to get in this position but may well be last chance saloon, so best of luck this week.

Will the volatility in the mid terms continue but seems they are settling on the return to norm, so perhaps Spring not that far away

Well that's a bit disappointing, as the UKMO was showing a good Northerly for early next week, and the GFS was showing it cold again after mid month. I thought with two warmings  in the strat that there would be cold spells throughout March. So to now hear we are going back to normal  is not good news. Still, if Thursday and Friday deliver, I can live with a return to normal fare. 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 2

Posted

45cm- 35cm southern Pennines looking interesting on models 🤞🤞🤞❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

hopefully Somerset picks up some good accumulations overnight… looks good on radar… 

5-10cm around Taunton going from latest model runs… 

hopefully firm up a little tomorrow and met office updates 🤞🤞⚠️⚠️❄️❄️

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

Could contain:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
23 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM 18z with a small shift north for Thursday/Friday, still not as far  north as the GFS.

Goodnight 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Yes, heavy snowfall across N Wales, N mids and N England Friday morning-

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

It doesn’t even look especially marginal on this run either-

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Anyone give me an idea of rough timescales. Friday 2am I've got a run from Alsager to Man Air 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Is this accurate? I know it's the middle of the night.  Radar shows a very story but no feedback. Models show front entering south west and further.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Anyone give me an idea of rough timescales. Friday 2am I've got a run from Alsager to Man Air 🤣

Looks like, based on ECM 18z, main ppn hits NW England around 3AM and continues through to around 9AM.

It may be it is quite a messy affair for Manchester area with light sleet turning to rain or snow to sleet and back again as the cold air gets pushed N Thu night in Friday before retuning S in the early hours.

Local areas could vary quite a lot with favoured spots havign all snow and heavier ppn and less favoured spots seeing a wintry mix and lighter ppn.

In my experience NE Manchester does best and SW Manchester the worse in these situations but this info could be out of date in a few hours!

ECMOPUK18_54_2.pngECMOPUK18_54_4.png

ECMOPUK18_60_2.pngECMOPUK18_60_4.png

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

That looks lush for pretty much all of wales the midlands and north england❄️🌨🌨😍!!

• Like 1