Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
30 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

A goodish day today. At last. Still chilly in the wind, but a fraction short of 15 °C and a decent amount of sunshine made it feel actually fairly warm walking briskly uphill. I know it's not going to last, but this breathing space is something, at least.

As for NW Scotland, indeed. If you're (very) lucky it can feel very warm indeed there in summer with such long daylight hours. I remember once being in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, one of the wettest places in the entire UK, and absolutely baking in wall-to-wall strong sunshine!

And probably feel very cold in the winter with the shorter daylight there and a storm force wind off the Atlantic. 💨

Posted
4 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Can you sit outside with the laptop and hotspot via your phone? 😄

I’d do that but can’t chance the neighbours seeing my beer or my boss quizzing all this tan I seem to have 😉

Posted
2 hours ago, Dusk1983 said:

Heating has gone back on here in London. My word, I hate this country sometimes.

Mine is on too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I am back after a long hibernation!

This April has actually been close to average in temperature and sunshine for London so far. April in London typically averages a 15c max with around 180 hours of sun, and looks like the month will finish close to those values.

What has been unusual is how stable it has been. The warmest day has only reached 17.5c, compared to a typical 22c max for April. Seems like we will have to wait until May to see a 20c day, which is unusual.

• Like 3

It’s a cold and damp start, drizzly rain pushing through. Shame it’s ruining the view from the 8th floor of Poole hospital, yesterday could see right out across Poole harbour. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
9 hours ago, B87 said:

I am back after a long hibernation!

This April has actually been close to average in temperature and sunshine for London so far. April in London typically averages a 15c max with around 180 hours of sun, and looks like the month will finish close to those values.

What has been unusual is how stable it has been. The warmest day has only reached 17.5c, compared to a typical 22c max for April. Seems like we will have to wait until May to see a 20c day, which is unusual.

I think this is the key point. So far temperatures have been close to average (although next week's cold snap will reduce that), but the perception is that it has been a cold month due to very little warmth.

April is often an erratic and temperamental month, being right on the cusp of the transition between winter and summer, but in most years we will at least get a few days of warmth with temperatures getting to 18c, 19c, 20c or even higher. We had some really nice weather in the week leading up to the Easter Bank Holiday and over the bank holiday weekend itself (except Easter Monday), but temperatures only really got up to about 16c. 

Funnily enough, the warmest day of April so far for London was Monday - just seen that it got up to 17.5c, warmer than I thought it was. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

It’s a cold and damp start, drizzly rain pushing through. Shame it’s ruining the view from the 8th floor of Poole hospital, yesterday could see right out across Poole harbour. 

What you in for? I'll be in in Autumn! Currently in the surgery long q!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, danm said:

This April has actually been close to average in temperature and sunshine for London so far. April in London typically averages a 15c max

Indeed, but the thing is, we've had virtually no days reach above that, which is why it feels like such a dull, cool month. 

In most Aprils in recent memory, we've had at least a few days in the upper teens, and usually reach 20c at some point in the month. The fact that this hasn't been the case for 2023, does feel quite 'off', despite the overall statistics of the month being 'average'. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, danm said:

I think this is the key point. So far temperatures have been close to average (although next week's cold snap will reduce that), but the perception is that it has been a cold month due to very little warmth. 

Much of the month thus far in London has failed to reach the mid-teens (loitering around 10-12/13c for the most part) and with a cold wind and mostly overcast, the temps don't even feel like that. Averages are averages from a statistical sense, yes, but It's very rare that I'm still wearing my winter coat and this many layers by mid to late April in London. I'm usually in 'light-medium Jacket' mode by now, book-ended by the odd day where just a shirt is enough during the day-time. Given the pretty dire outlook for the next week or so, I'll likely not be putting said coat/layers back into the wardrobe anytime soon, either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Aggravated a back injury from a couple of years ago. 111 is the worst service ever, called them and they advised me to go to the pharmacy despite being unable to walk, then asked me to drive to an appt 25miles away. My partner drove me to the hospital instead where I as admitted immediately due to the severity of my injury…..hopefully you won’t have to experience that and the queue will quicken up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
34 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Much of the month thus far in London has failed to reach the mid-teens (loitering around 10-12/13c for the most part) and with a cold wind and mostly overcast, the temps don't even feel like that. Averages are averages from a statistical sense, yes, but It's very rare that I'm still wearing my winter coat and this many layers by mid to late April in London. I'm usually in 'light-medium Jacket' mode by now, book-ended by the odd day where just a shirt is enough during the day-time. Given the pretty dire outlook for the next week or so, I'll likely not be putting said coat/layers back into the wardrobe anytime soon, either...

I concur this for where I am in Devon, will be interesting to see the anomaly charts for April when they are released by met office the beginning of May.  I would say we will definitely be at least a degree or 2 below average temperature wise, sun amounts and rainfull could be average but wouldn't surprise me if rain was slightly above and sun slightly below....The warmest we have had in Exeter so far this year is 16c, when you think that in a mild winter period we can easily get near that amount it makes you realise just how cool it's been so far this spring. 

We have had a lot of 11c/12c days this month and alot of cold nights,  our day time average for April  is just under 15c

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I concur this for where I am in Devon, will be interesting to see the anomaly charts for April when they are released by met office the beginning of May.  I would say we will definitely be at least a degree or 2 below average temperature wise, sun amounts and rainfull could be average but wouldn't surprise me if rain was slightly above and sun slightly below....The warmest we have had in Exeter so far this year is 16c, when you think that in a mild winter period we can easily get near that amount it makes you realise just how cool it's been so far this spring. 

We have had a lot of 11c/12c days this month and alot of cold nights,  our day time average is just under 15c

I stayed in Exeter with my son last week. Lovely place, we really enjoyed it, never been before. The weather gods gave us a sunny dry day Thursday to enjoy, but the rest of the stay was plagued with a lot of rain and cold. On Wednesday evening the wind picked up to over 50mph and we stayed an hour extra in the cathedral until the worst had passed. Still got soaked and buffeted on the way out tho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather

A repeat performance of yesterday here near the east coast wall to wall strong sunshine feels pleasant out of the cold easterly wind, but still a nail biting chill in the shade, hardly spring really

• Like 2

Posted

There seems to be this ongoing He-Man approach to the recent chilly and sometimes very cold weather. 

Averages mean nothing to me, and April 2023 so far has been cold in my opinion. Yes, we’ve had a few days here and there of nice weather, but I’ve never been able to fully be comfortable without wearing winter layers.

Like another poster said, I’m usually good to wear just a light jacket by now, but not this year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Hope nothing too serious Becca 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No He-Man attitude from me, it's currently 13C with wall-to-wall sunshine. Perfectly acceptable for mid-April, IMO. 👍

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

No He-Man attitude from me, it's currently 13C with wall-to-wall sunshine. Perfectly acceptable for mid-April, IMO. 👍

Good for you, please enjoy it,  it is currently wall to wall cloud here and has been for days, whilst 13C may be acceptable to you it is still below average and has been more often than not throughout April bar the odd few lovely days.  And that is after a cold wet March, this spring would test the patience of a saint to be quite honest 😛

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

After a day of sunshine yesterday, it's now back to being as dull as dishwater. Anticyclonic gloom is bad enough in winter yet alone in the middle of spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
skynews-may-weather-summer_6124791.jpg?2
NEWS.SKY.COM

The King's coronation will be on Saturday 6 May, but what will the weather look like? Sky News looks back at the weather in May over the last 10 years.

Figures are for London:

7th and 8th May
Highs of 23.9C
Lows of 13.7C
Max Rainfall in mm: 8.4

5th and 6th May
Highs of 10.5C
Lows of 5.2C
Max rainfall in mm: 0.2

4th and 5th May
Highs of 18.7C
Lows of 5.4C
Max rainfall in mm: 1

3rd and 4th May
Highs of 19.4C
Lows of 2.6C
Max rainfall in mm: 8.2

2nd and 3rd May
Highs of 20.3C
Lows of 9.1C

7th and 8th May
Highs of 26.8C
Lows of 11C
Max rainfall in mm: 0

6th and 7th May
Highs of 18.7C
Lows of 7.6C

5th and 6th May
Highs of 26.3C
Lows of 6C

4th and 5th May
Highs of 12.7C
Lows of 1.4C

2nd and 3rd May
Highs of 15.5C
Lows of 6C

1st and 2nd May
Highs of 12C
Lows of 2C
Rainfall data not provided

7th and 8th May
Highs of 20.6C
Lows of 9.6C

• Like 1

Posted

We've hit the dizzy heights of 15c here; sun's been out, but clouding over now. Chilly breeze though.

I'll give it a B+ for effort😁.

Edited by Bristle Si

Posted

It's actually been a reasonable day today here in London. Bright sunny morning, then clouded over briefly, and we've had plenty of sunny spells since late morning. Chilly in that easterly breeze, pleasant in the sunshine. Much better than yesterday.

Posted
2 hours ago, richie3846 said:

I stayed in Exeter with my son last week. Lovely place, we really enjoyed it, never been before. The weather gods gave us a sunny dry day Thursday to enjoy, but the rest of the stay was plagued with a lot of rain and cold. On Wednesday evening the wind picked up to over 50mph and we stayed an hour extra in the cathedral until the worst had passed. Still got soaked and buffeted on the way out tho.

Yes overall we are very lucky down here, it's a lovely little city, definetly up and coming for sure, now its being regenerated and we have a great university to thanks for that.  Thankfully the cathedral was mostly spared during the heavy bombing in world war 2.  We are near the moors, the sea and Cornwall so I guess we are lucky... Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2