Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I am aware that i keep moaning about this but my god, just give us some sunshine in the South East! Today & tomorrow were originally going to be partly cloudy but have been downgraded to overcast now 😂 

It looks like Yorkshire (AKA the newly crowned sunniest place in the UK) are going to have a lovely sunny day again though according to the satellite.

I don't know what happened at some point, as the South & South East used to be the sunniest place, which made sense- the further south you go, the sunnier it gets, but seeing Reefs comments over the past few months about sunshine data for East Yorkshire, they have been sunnier every single month since about September. Dumbfounding.

Even some outlooks are hinting at another rubbish 2021 style year where the south is garbage and the north and Yorkshire is far sunnier. 

Will have to attack my savings and book another holiday at this rate!

Also, i think that SSW was the worst thing that could have happened to UK weather as we went from experiencing nice sunny days frequently to an absolute barrage of Atlantic lows and 95-100% cloud cover. The cold lovers didn't even get much snow so wishing for that SSW was in vain. It seems like it simply eliminated the sun and that was it lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Bright sunny morning here, even though its not that warm does make a big difference given the sun's strength already.

Models continue to look very wet indeed, to the point it might require a pretty sharp switch around for the 2nd half to end up below average. This spell probably does somewhat lessen the risk of a bad drought if the summer is a warmer/drier one.

Mind you I'd rather have a cooler wetter spell in March and even April if it means we can secure a better sunnier May. So let's hope that comes off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Lovely sunny day here, spring has certainly sprung and it feels good.  

Looking back, I think winter delivered enough cold and snow to feel seasonal, so not disappointed at all really.

It can rain as much as it likes now over the next month or so, as long as it stops in time for summer 😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

I am aware that i keep moaning about this but my god, just give us some sunshine in the South East! Today & tomorrow were originally going to be partly cloudy but have been downgraded to overcast now 😂 

It looks like Yorkshire (AKA the newly crowned sunniest place in the UK) are going to have a lovely sunny day again though according to the satellite.

I don't know what happened at some point, as the South & South East used to be the sunniest place, which made sense- the further south you go, the sunnier it gets, but seeing Reefs comments over the past few months about sunshine data for East Yorkshire, they have been sunnier every single month since about September. Dumbfounding.

Even some outlooks are hinting at another rubbish 2021 style year where the south is garbage and the north and Yorkshire is far sunnier. 

Also, i think that SSW was the worst thing that could have happened to UK weather as we went from experiencing nice sunny days frequently to an absolute barrage of Atlantic lows and 95-100% cloud cover. The cold lovers didn't even get much snow so wishing for that SSW was in vain. It seems like it simply eliminated the sun and that was it lol.

This is so true. Who the hell wants to see snow burying the daffs and frost freezing all the early blossom in March? All the SSW did was send the jet stream on a med holiday and leave us in the path of miserable gloomy lows. I've had almost 3 weeks of near daily sunless gloom and it feels as bad as January. February felt more like spring.  SSW's can effing do one. If they don't occur in Dec or early Jan then they are just not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

This is so true. Who the hell wants to see snow burying the daffs and frost freezing all the early blossom in March? All the SSW did was send the jet stream on a med holiday and leave us in the path of miserable gloomy lows. I've had almost 3 weeks of near daily sunless gloom and it feels as bad as January. February felt more like spring.  SSW's can effing do one. If they don't occur in Dec or early Jan then they are just not worth it.

• Like 2

Posted

Will the temp even reach 13c this month doubt it..

It did reach 13c once in march 2006..

Looking like one of the wettest marches on record after this next week.

Wet and windy makes a change to recent marches people have been spoilt..

Posted

Will the temp even reach 13c this month doubt it..

It did reach 13c once in march 2006..

Looking like one of the wettest marches on record after this next week.

Wet and windy makes a change to recent marches people have been spoilt..

Think we ll see snow in april again the way this spring is shaping up..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

That's technically what a SSW does, change the pattern by moving the stratosphric PV. I did warn that the pattern was good as it was and a SSW might not be favourable to us, back in December. However, it did give us a northerly cold shot, so it was good for some, and it looks like it'll be another high influenced summer, unless the long range models are wrong, which they could be. So it's not all bad for everyone. It may not be a warm spring going forward though, but swings and roundabouts I guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Sunshine levels have been very poor for this March so far, a duller than average March looks favoured for a number of locations. 

Certainly feels like that here in W Sussex. Was looking forward to the forecast sunny intervals today which have now been replaced with overcast all day, followed by rain every day for the upcoming week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Sunshine levels have been very poor for this March so far, a duller than average March looks favoured for a number of locations. 

Certainly feels like that here in W Sussex. Was looking forward to the forecast sunny intervals today which have now been replaced with overcast all day, followed by rain every day for the upcoming week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Seems quite common in recent decades to have two months that contrast in rainfall greatly, either going to very wet to very dry or in this case very dry to very wet. This has always happened but I’d be interested to see if it’s more common now than say a hundred years ago. 

I’ll be watching this space as with a March so wet we’re on course for a wet spring but another turnaround could change that. We haven’t had a properly wet spring for quite a while.

Posted

Seems quite common in recent decades to have two months that contrast in rainfall greatly, either going to very wet to very dry or in this case very dry to very wet. This has always happened but I’d be interested to see if it’s more common now than say a hundred years ago. On the other hand, extreme temperature contrasts between months are  very rare compared to other parts of the world. In America it’s not that uncommon in the history books to see an exceptionally cold/cool month followed by an exceptionally mild/hot one - something to do with the lack of moderation from the sea I imagine. 

I’ll be watching this space as with a March so wet we’re on course for a wet spring but another turnaround could change that. We haven’t had a properly wet spring for quite a while.

• Like 2

Posted

Seems quite common in recent decades to have two months that contrast in rainfall greatly, either going to very wet to very dry or in this case very dry to very wet. This has always happened but I’d be interested to see if it’s more common now than say a hundred years ago. On the other hand, extreme temperature contrasts between months are  very rare compared to other parts of the world. In America it’s not that uncommon in the history books to see an exceptionally cold/cool month followed by an exceptionally mild/hot one - something to do with the lack of moderation from the sea I imagine. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Atleastitwillbemild said:

Amen Amen Amen!!!

Posted

Amen Amen Amen!!!

Posted

Amen Amen Amen!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Went out for a little walk this afternoon and saw the first bumblebee of the year. A nice big fuzzy one. 🐝

• Like 1

Posted

Alot of people repeating themselves today! Also seen a fluffy bumble bee playing golf yesterday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
36 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Amen Amen Amen!!!

You must really agree with that to post it 3 times 🤣 

I did see the sun today but as has been the case basically every time this month, the sun has come out earlier in the day only for it to cloud over and stay mostly if not completely cloudy for the rest of the day. 

6 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Went out for a little walk this afternoon and saw the first bumblebee of the year. A nice big fuzzy one. 🐝

I saw, or should I say heard, one in February. Not what I would have expected. It flew right past my ear🐝 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There is something wrong with posting on this thread. I tried on my laptop but didn't show the post posting at all. Weird! Clearly it did though.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Alot of people repeating themselves today! Also seen a fluffy bumble bee playing golf yesterday 

That's one clever bumble bee (forgive me)

Just been out for a little walk, enjoying the spring weather. Whilst I love snow I want the weather to warm up a bit now. The daffodils are coming out and blossom is on the trees. Even got some washing out

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

There is something wrong with posting on this thread. I tried on my laptop but didn't show the post posting at all. Weird! Clearly it did though.

Same thing happening on my phone earlier. If anyone want to hide repeats themselves, you can do so by pressing the three dots at the top of your posts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

first time this year i was able to sit on my stye facing the countryside, whilst that wind still has a chill to it when the sun goes behind the clouds, as soon as that cloud goes past you can feel yourself warming up quickly. Though i'm still wearing a coat, t-shirt, vest and thick trousers. It will have to warm up quite a bit (lows 20s) for me to just be in a jumper

Edited by Atmogenic

Posted
2 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

I've been wondering the same thing myself. We seem to be in permanent swings of dry to wet, and back again. Springs, especially April are statistically drying out, this has been reported by the met office, so I wouldn't assume this wet March to indicate more potential for a  wet spring overall. Whilst March isn't over yet, it seems to be likely that we'll end up with 50 to 100 percent more rain than average, but then February was notably dry, so taking the two months together it'll probably be about average. 

• Like 1