Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
35 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree, unbroken clear blue skies in Gods own County, nice breeze, 15c, very nice indeed.

Can we swop. You enjoy cloud and cool more than me ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Some more sunshine would be nice, but otherwise March has been a far more interesting month than February as there has been more of a variety. It has been quite a wet month so far, but I don't really mind and would much rather get it out of the way now than during high summer. 

Yes it's been nice to have more variation, although for here at least it would be nice if that was a bit more than cloudy and wet or cloudy and dry. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Can we swop. You enjoy cloud and cool more than me ...

willingly!....bedroom windows wide open, 2 fans on tonight!

Edited by markyo
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 21/03/2023 at 14:02, Summer8906 said:

To me this is turning into the worst first half of "spring" for many years, probably since 1994 so far and possibly longer depending on what happens going into April.

Definitely not the case up here, we've actually had a decent few days overall with temps well above average and a fair bit of sunshine mixed in with the odd shower. Certainly nowhere near the worst first half of spring in the last couple of decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's March, guys. Can you please keep your whining for May? 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
4 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

To be fair it is the very manifestation of moan weather though. Dull, mildish but not warm, with damp air. Not even any interestingly heavy rain, let alone anything else. 😉

Even by the equinox definition it's supposed to be spring now. Still waiting here...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Actually a fairly sunny day here overall today- it's gone a bit dull now and there have been a few short showers, but a very decent spring day again with temps up to 14C. 

12.6C, 15.5C, 14.8C, 11C, 16C, 14.1C, 13.5C are the max temps over the last week here- a decent spell temperature wise. Some more sunshine would be nice but I would certainly take this March over 2018.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Actually a fairly sunny day here overall today- it's gone a bit dull now and there have been a few short showers, but a very decent spring day again with temps up to 14C. 

12.6C, 15.5C, 14.8C, 11C, 16C, 14.1C, 13.5C are the max temps over the last week here- a decent spell temperature wise. Some more sunshine would be nice but I would certainly take this March over 2018.

I can see how that would make sense meteorologically, as Manchester is in the rain-shadow (and thus moisture-shadow in general) of the Welsh uplands in a SW-ly. Here, the wind just blasts straight in from the channel. I sometimes visit Cheshire and have distinctly noticed that SW-lies are considerably more bearable there than they are down here, due to the effect of the Welsh hills.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Still nothing springlike here with it being cloudy all day and feeling a bit on the cool side 

Hampshire in southwesterlies. Nuff said! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like those who like colder and sunny as opposed to milder and wet will be happy next week😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Looks like those who like colder and sunny as opposed to milder and wet will be happy next week😁

Indeed, as I said on the model thread the GFS 12z really isn't bad. Typical spring short-term variability, rather than locked-in autumnal conditions. 😉

Monday and Tuesday nice. Sunday should have a nice afternoon after a cold, wet start - so hopefully good conditions to enjoy the extra hour of daylight. Potential for a wet and rather cold spell at the start of April as a slow-moving low moves across - but, at least that's more typical of spring than the current conditions, if you know what I mean, and the weather improves afterwards.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Definitely not the case up here, we've actually had a decent few days overall with temps well above average and a fair bit of sunshine mixed in with the odd shower. Certainly nowhere near the worst first half of spring in the last couple of decades.

Yes it's been quite decent by day, I think we've been extremely lucky in the daytime given the bulk of the rain we've had has been at night which has been moderate to heavy at times and fairly frequent. Looking similar tonight once again. This is the rainfall accumulation of the last 24 hours, hopefully I am allowed to post this just the once as I'm an extra subscriber. Had around 20mm here in Audenshaw where I am in the triangle, practically all of it was last night. Was the same the other night too with similar totals. Obviously the further away you are from the Pennines the drier it is. According to this places near Chester have had very little rainfall. The Welsh mountains doing a good job at blocking the rain there but it seems to reorganise and invigorate the further east you go in our region.  Good for the reservoirs though hopefully there shouldn't be too many issues by Autumn!

Could contain: Person, Chart

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Methuselah said:

No this is the moans thread 😹 And seriously I've seen the sun for about 2 hours in 3 weeks. I have plenty to complain about!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, Sunsetglimmer said:

It felt pleasant outside today with temps around 15 degrees wish there was more in the way of sunshine but I suppose for late march it could be worse 

It could be better too, I don't really get a spring vibe until we get the first sign of the 18c or above, though 15c is ok if there's no wind and its blue skies.  This March and the lack of sun has really made my mood low, I hope to god this SWW hasn't put us on a path towards a poor spring/summer

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

It could be better too, I don't really get a spring vibe until we get the first sign of the 18c or above, though 15c is ok if there's no wind and its blue skies.  This March and the lack of sun has really made my mood low, I hope to god this SWW hasn't put us on a path towards a poor spring/summer

Doubt it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Despite being at over 130% of average rainfall already and still only at 30% of average sunshine, this month hasn't felt as awful as it should. We seem to be getting one sunny or warm feeling day a week which is just enough to keep me from going insane. This March has been a reality check for me as I took last year's extensive warmth and sunshine for granted, I would be moaning more but I'm glad we're getting this awful train of low pressure out the way before the warmer months. April is often my favourite month so I really hope everything settles down in time for a nice warm sunny spell in April!

Yes it's been poor but I think the most notable thing is how consistently humid and damp it has been for weeks. Usually I associate March with fresh but settled weather but this has been a spell of very autumnal weather, reminiscent of October 2019 or something like that. Definitely the worst spring/summer month for me since May 2021 but, it could be worse.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Was the same the other night too with similar totals. Obviously the further away you are from the Pennines the drier it is. According to this places near Chester have had very little rainfall. The Welsh mountains doing a good job at blocking the rain there but it seems to reorganise and invigorate the further east you go in our region.  Good for the reservoirs though hopefully there shouldn't be too many issues by Autumn!

Could contain: Person, Chart

Hawarden has actually had a wetter than average March so far

VYKxRxC.png

• Like 1

Well the output is all very underwhelming this morning, one chilly day early next then a continuation of pretty meh, and likely dull weather with temps around average. Any hint of a couple of warmer days next week appear to have faded. I just hope the weather is saving itself for Easter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

With the way the past 12 months have gone - extended periods of alternating wet or dry conditions, then we might expect 6+ weeks of mild, dry spring weather soon? 🙏

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Many reservoirs in the southwest are still in a pretty dire state despite the recent weather.  Slightly worrying considering we could spring turning drier and much warmer according to the Met Office contingency planners.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

lovely display of the northern lights this morning before sunrise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2