Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
9 minutes ago, al78 said:

The Met Office long range outlook is not looking promising as we approach the Easter weekend:

Saturday 25th March - Monday 3rd April

"Saturday is likely to be unsettled with showers for many, these perhaps turning wintry, especially over high ground in the north, but becoming drier from the west through the day. Strong winds in the south and east at first, tending to ease with time. Sunday will likely bring further rain and perhaps windy conditions to the south, whilst northern areas see brighter skies and wintry showers. After a mostly dry start to next week with some frost, further periods of strong winds and rain are expected with perhaps a trend for the wettest weather to be in the south. Temperatures likely close to average in the south, but rather cold in the north, with a risk of wintry conditions here."

Tuesday 4th April - Tuesday 18th April

To start the period, a continuation of unsettled conditions is the most likely. Moving further into April, a chance of more settled weather is predicted, with drier conditions more probable. Any wetter conditions are more likely in the far south. There is a chance that temperatures may trend cooler than average through this period.

What is it with the south getting the worst of the weather? I hope this turns out wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much. It's well beyond the reliable timeframe. The more distant element of the long range forecast at the met office, is wrong a lot of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

God this weather is minging!!! Kill me now!!

Misty, sometimes wet sometimes dry, swapping about every 5 minutes. Certainly annoying today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
33 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I wouldn't worry too much. It's well beyond the reliable timeframe. The more distant element of the long range forecast at the met office, is wrong a lot of the time.

high to the north, low to the south, I'd say most common setup for April/May

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

It could be worse. At least it is happening during GMT.

I haven't seen sun for more than an hour since last month!

Posted

In Munich now, and while it felt warm in the airport, it felt anything but that after we left the airport.

It has been nice and mild with sun and cloud here but there’s still a chill in the air and a noticeable drop in temps by the time it gets past 5pm.

Might try and venture to the alps in a day or so, but we shall see how that goes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just seen the BBC  Euro weather.  Not a nice week for you lot in blighty. Plenty of rain in the forecast and temps rather none interesting.  An Atlantic conveyer belt in full flow. Over here just mild cloudy and  lack of snowfall theme continues relentlessly.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

In Munich now, and while it felt warm in the airport, it felt anything but that after we left the airport.

It has been nice and mild with sun and cloud here but there’s still a chill in the air and a noticeable drop in temps by the time it gets past 5pm.

Might try and venture to the alps in a day or so, but we shall see how that goes.

Munich is an interesting place, high up so can be snowy in Winter but Spring usually starts earlier there than the UK, I notice this every year around now or even earlier. Temps look like getting to 20c and a UV of 4 according to the Met Office, some fair skinned people can burn with that. Must be because it's in the south of Germany. Further south than Paris.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Munich is an interesting place, high up so can be snowy in Winter but Spring usually starts earlier there than the UK, I notice this every year around now or even earlier. Temps look like getting to 20c and a UV of 4 according to the Met Office, some fair skinned people can burn with that. Must be because it's in the south of Germany. Further south than Paris.

Yeah it’s supposed to be 18c at some point here this week, so will feel much warmer than what I’ve been used to.

It’s a good few hundred miles south of Berlin and quite a distance from Paris. I’m not sure, but the it must be slightly closer to Italy, once you get past the alps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
6 hours ago, al78 said:

The Met Office long range outlook is not looking promising as we approach the Easter weekend:

Saturday 25th March - Monday 3rd April

"Saturday is likely to be unsettled with showers for many, these perhaps turning wintry, especially over high ground in the north, but becoming drier from the west through the day. Strong winds in the south and east at first, tending to ease with time. Sunday will likely bring further rain and perhaps windy conditions to the south, whilst northern areas see brighter skies and wintry showers. After a mostly dry start to next week with some frost, further periods of strong winds and rain are expected with perhaps a trend for the wettest weather to be in the south. Temperatures likely close to average in the south, but rather cold in the north, with a risk of wintry conditions here."

Tuesday 4th April - Tuesday 18th April

To start the period, a continuation of unsettled conditions is the most likely. Moving further into April, a chance of more settled weather is predicted, with drier conditions more probable. Any wetter conditions are more likely in the far south. There is a chance that temperatures may trend cooler than average through this period.

What is it with the south getting the worst of the weather? I hope this turns out wrong.

I think because the ssw has pushed the yet south….I want to scream when I see people in the mad thread still looking for cold weather! We don’t want the Faroe Island weather thanks. So ready for some warmth and proper sun, it’s been pretty dull here in Devon this march 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I think because the ssw has pushed the yet south….I want to scream when I see people in the mad thread still looking for cold weather! We don’t want the Faroe Island weather thanks. So ready for some warmth and proper sun, it’s been pretty dull here in Devon this march 

There is a northerly forecast for later this weekend, but this time of year, even that will struggle to lower temperatures to single digits in the south. Its a bit of a trade off this time of year, south westerlies and its damp and cloudy, northerly and its cool but with plenty of sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Not so sure about that, I'd say spring is the time of year when we often do just as well in the UK as Central Europe.

In a setup like the current one they will do well as the lows that are affecting us are drawing up warmer air from the south into Central Europe.

Having spent time in that region in spring it's definitely not noticeably warmer than it is the UK. I actually spent a day walking around Munich on June 1st 2010 and it was memorably cold and wet- didn't get above 10C and I've never been so wet and cold in my life.

Posted
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

There is a northerly forecast for later this weekend, but this time of year, even that will struggle to lower temperatures to single digits in the south. Its a bit of a trade off this time of year, south westerlies and its damp and cloudy, northerly and its cool but with plenty of sunshine.

Give me the latter any day! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Just want to see the sun 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

I'll take the clearer skies, the last 4 weeks have been pretty much a cloudfest around here. Tomorrow looks the best chance of some real decent sunshine this week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

It may not be like that all day, it’s nice to see some of this colour above this morning:

Could contain: Art, Leisure Activities, Person, Sport, Swimming, Water, Water Sports

A lot better (personally) than seeing this above all the time:

Could contain: Gray

Something that’s been apparent for lots of us during most of this month.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
12 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I want to scream when I see people in the mad thread still looking for cold weather! 

you and me both, if they want cold weather that badly, then they should be planning to move to a colder place

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

you and me both, if they want cold weather that badly, then they should be planning to move to a colder place

People are entitled to want whatever weather they like. This is a weather forum and this thread is not the place to complain about others because their weather preferences are different to yours.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

[removed]

Edited by Atmogenic
decided it isn't worth the hassle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A nice spring day here with sunshine and showers. I am personally not interested in any more cold now and am looking forward to some nice spring warmth, but I do appreciate that not everybody else feels the same way. As for moving to another country, that is easier said than done. 

Having a certain weather preference isn't harming anybody.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Just replying to the comments of @Alderc and @mushymanrob on the model thread, to avoid dragging that OT - namely about how the GFS 06z in particular paints a truly horrendous outlook right up to the end of the run.

To me this is turning into the worst first half of "spring" for many years, probably since 1994 so far and possibly longer depending on what happens going into April.

While 2013 and 2018 also produced dull, and at times damp, Marches, this one has just about no compensating factors. 2013 produced some interesting cold at times. 2018 produced the two snow falls.

2021 was also mentioned but really, that year the bad weather was restricted to May. Two thirds of spring was basically OK.

March 2023, well it started with 5 dry, cold and mostly cloudy days, and one day had a brief transient light snowfall - but for the past two weeks it's been varying degrees of poor and doesn't look to get any better during the remaining 10 days.

The rest of the month just seems to be dominated by dull, damp, oppressively humid southwesterlies. Utterly horrible weather - even the days when it's not raining (such as today) are mostly pretty awful due to humidity and low, dishwater cloud.

Looking back at the archives, the last Marches to be dominated so much by southwesterlies were 1988, 1989 and 1994 - and in those, the type switched to something else either late in the month or into April though admittedly in two cases to something colder but still changeable. And the notoriously bad March of 1981 also flipped very early in April. So if the synoptics are unchanged in early April, we'd presumably need to go back a long, long time to find something so dominated by cyclonic southwesterlies.

I can appreciate points about needing the rain - but please let's have a less dismal setup! A cyclonic N-ly or NW-ly would at least deliver some bright days. And the real danger with mild as well as dull and damp is that it risks bringing on the spring flowers before the weather settles down - meaning you can't appreciate them. Cold and wet would, by contrast, at least put nature on hold meaning you could enjoy spring when it arrived, even if it was a little late.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Quote of the day “Why are the British so worried about climate change? Any change in their climate can only be an improvement” John Daley  1959-2003 Australian Meteorologist. I think the guy had a point 😔 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I actually see the sun 😱 

Not wall to wall sunshine but better than the recent gloom. Shame about the breeze though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Just replying to the comments of @Alderc and @mushymanrob on the model thread, to avoid dragging that OT - namely about how the GFS 06z in particular paints a truly horrendous outlook right up to the end of the run.

To me this is turning into the worst first half of "spring" for many years, probably since 1994 so far and possibly longer depending on what happens going into April.

While 2013 and 2018 also produced dull, and at times damp, Marches, this one has just about no compensating factors. 2013 produced some interesting cold at times. 2018 produced the two snow falls.

2021 was also mentioned but really, that year the bad weather was restricted to May. Two thirds of spring was basically OK.

March 2023, well it started with 5 dry, cold and mostly cloudy days, and one day had a brief transient light snowfall - but for the past two weeks it's been varying degrees of poor and doesn't look to get any better during the remaining 10 days.

The rest of the month just seems to be dominated by dull, damp, oppressively humid southwesterlies. Utterly horrible weather - even the days when it's not raining (such as today) are mostly pretty awful due to humidity and low, dishwater cloud.

Looking back at the archives, the last Marches to be dominated so much by southwesterlies were 1988, 1989 and 1994 - and in those, the type switched to something else either late in the month or into April though admittedly in two cases to something colder but still changeable. And the notoriously bad March of 1981 also flipped very early in April. So if the synoptics are unchanged in early April, we'd presumably need to go back a long, long time to find something so dominated by cyclonic southwesterlies.

I can appreciate points about needing the rain - but please let's have a less dismal setup! A cyclonic N-ly or NW-ly would at least deliver some bright days. And the real danger with mild as well as dull and damp is that it risks bringing on the spring flowers before the weather settles down - meaning you can't appreciate them. Cold and wet would, by contrast, at least put nature on hold meaning you could enjoy spring when it arrived, even if it was a little late.

............ lets just say at 66, i have experienced more springs than you? assuming your username hints at your birth year. thats why im not getting all worked up about 1 gfs run even if the trend is unsettled/wet... its nothing new, nor extraordinary, just disappointing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

............ lets just say at 66, i have experienced more springs than you? assuming your username hints at your birth year. thats why im not getting all worked up about 1 gfs run even if the trend is unsettled/wet... its nothing new, nor extraordinary, just disappointing.

No, it's doesn't refer to my birth year, neither '89 nor '06. Those numbers relate to the start and end of what, for me, was the "golden age" of British summers.

I generally remember springs from the 80s onwards and do remember some fairly poor ones, but for my tastes it's been a long, long time since we had a March this bad. As I said 2018 was pretty poor but at least had the snow to produce some interesting interludes.

It's just so frustrating when you wait all autumn and winter for longer days and supposedly better weather, and get.... this.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2