Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
52 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Many reservoirs in the southwest are still in a pretty dire state despite the recent weather.  Slightly worrying considering we could spring turning drier and much warmer according to the Met Office contingency planners.

The growing season is now at odds with any rain that falls. This rain we had/are having in March would have had more replenishment impact if it had fallen in February, rather than now sadly. The March rain will be forgotten as soon as we have a couple dry weeks later in the spring. It's impact will have been fairly modest in the longer term, if conditions turn dry again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
16 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

Despite being at over 130% of average rainfall already and still only at 30% of average sunshine, this month hasn't felt as awful as it should. We seem to be getting one sunny or warm feeling day a week which is just enough to keep me from going insane. This March has been a reality check for me as I took last year's extensive warmth and sunshine for granted, I would be moaning more but I'm glad we're getting this awful train of low pressure out the way before the warmer months. April is often my favourite month so I really hope everything settles down in time for a nice warm sunny spell in April!

Yes it's been poor but I think the most notable thing is how consistently humid and damp it has been for weeks. Usually I associate March with fresh but settled weather but this has been a spell of very autumnal weather, reminiscent of October 2019 or something like that. Definitely the worst spring/summer month for me since May 2021 but, it could be worse.

Humid and damp is annoying when it comes to laundry as it is too wet to hang laundry outside to dry and difficult to dry laundry indoors because it is so humid, and the temperature is just too high to have the central heating on.

Yes it could be worse:

however, as I often like to say, to be good enough, it is not sufficient to be better than the worst.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Still awaiting the first day over 13c why is it areas further north have both colder weather and warmer weather? So annoying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Still awaiting the first day over 13c why is it areas further north have both colder weather and warmer weather? So annoying.

Because you are moderated by the channel?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Because you are moderated by the channel?

True, it's a pain during spring here!

• Like 2

Posted

Did any model or forecast have this large area of rain reaching as far North as Leicester!? 

I am sure some only had it reaching the South coast let alone the current situation!!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Dare I say, I think we have the perfect spring weather here at the moment. We have lots of blue skies & sunshine, occasional showers, but mostly the heaviest rain comes during the evenings & nights, allowing daytime hours to be quite productive, especially in the garden.
Many apologies to my local weather watchers if I’ve now just jinxed our area 🤭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

4 gfs runs in a row now have high pressure in charge for Easter Weekend..one to keep an eye on.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
10 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Hawarden has actually had a wetter than average March so far

VYKxRxC.png

Until the SW'ly kicked in.....

Posted
4 hours ago, Freeze said:

Because the south has been under heavy overcast for much of the month which reduces the temprature variation between day and night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
18 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I point out that the wettest spell (11th/14th) as can be seen on that chart actually occured during a SWly spell 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Art, Modern Art, Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature 

Not a true SW'ly those mate. More of a WSW. Which can mean Hawarden can still get rather wet. Last few days like I showed out on my accumulation chart to scorcher we've had more a SW and SSW stream. Therefore there's more of a barrier with the Welsh mountains and a clear shadow for Cheshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
34 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Not a true SW'ly those mate. More of a WSW. Which can mean Hawarden can still get rather wet. Last few days like I showed out on my accumulation chart to scorcher we've had more a SW and SSW stream. Therefore there's more of a barrier with the Welsh mountains and a clear shadow for Cheshire.

Those charts show southwesterlies.

Posted
13 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Those charts show southwesterlies.

Not a true one. Certainly one is WSW and another is clearly a slacker chart without a lot of wind. We've had a bit of a gusty SW/SSW'ly lately and this strength and direction accentuates the rain shadow over Cheshire created by the Welsh mountains. A WSW doesn't have as much as an effect. Rain gets over the mountains more easily.

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted

Strange to think that three years ago this week, we were beginning a wonderful spell of Spring weather which many of us were able to enjoy at home, but there was an air of doom and gloom as well as nobody knew what the future would hold post-lockdown or even whether there would be a meaningful future.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Sun, cloud, wind, super heavy rain. Lovely finally some REAL weather instead of grey sheets of depression!

Yes finally the suns been out here for more than just a few minutes. No showers here yet though so a dry, windy but mostly sunny day here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I wonder why the South East has been the cloudiest place in the UK this month? Seems like a repeat of summer 2021 so far. Meanwhile places like Yorkshire are as sunny as Seville in comparison lmao.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Out of interest, when was the last March to fail to hit 20C. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
20 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Out of interest, when was the last March to fail to hit 20C. 

March 2020 didn't, despite the warmth just after lockdown struck.  Highest that month was 19.4 on 24th.  Much warmer than anything this month admittedly.

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

March 2020 didn't, despite the warmth just after lockdown struck.  Highest that month was 19.4 on 24th.  Much warmer than anything this month admittedly.

Tad surprising given it was settled and sunny and felt warm.

Posted
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

I wonder why the South East has been the cloudiest place in the UK this month?

Because it is competing in the poorness olympics. We have got the population trained to be irritatingly slow, obstructive and thoughtless as they go about their daily business, we are getting there with the former nice towns that are now rammed full with traffic because of relentless house building over the years (and because we have a population that wants to be like Americans and people think they need a two tonne machine to do the equivalent of a 10 minute walk or bike ride), so we have now turned our attention to regressing the weather. Once we have some MPs that are as psychotic as Donald Trump, we'll vote them in and become unbeatable in the poorness league table.

Edited by al78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, matt111 said:

Yes finally the suns been out here for more than just a few minutes. No showers here yet though so a dry, windy but mostly sunny day here. 

Same here.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, matt111 said:

Most of your daily weather observations are exactly the same as mine 99% of the time.

• Like 1