Posted
12 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Some blue sky arrived now it's getting dark 

A nice cold night good for sleeping!! 😉

• Thanks 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Secretly I'm hoping that 2023 is what 1976 was to 2022/1975, but unlikely 😀

But as long as we get at least 1 continuous week of hot weather followed by a thundery breakdown that will be OK (as long as the rest of the summer isn't 2007 style washout).  

I kind of hope it’s a 1984 style summer, although not as hot as 2022, like 84 was to 1983, but with some widespread thunderstorms, and decent sunny warm and hot periods between mid June to late August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Yes, this March will be one of the wettest, but its nothing like autumn.... the air is different, the lighting is different, the whole "feel" is certainly one of spring. The Marches on 2016, 2018, 2019  were very wet too.. maybe its not as uncommon as we think?

I'd agree about March 2018 but that at least had the two snowy spells; didn't seem to be such a relentless run of mild, dull, and damp. So this month edges that one in terms of general poorness.

2016 and 2019 both had lengthy dry spells, mid-month in 2016 and the end of the month in 2019. Indeed the last 7-10 days of March 2019 were very nice indeed.

To me it's actually been the airmass type which has made it a little autumnal; the fact that we've had so much in the way of mild but dull and damp SW-lies and barely any NW-lies. If we had as much Atlantic activity but more in the way of winds between W and N, it would have felt considerably more spring like.

Ironically, today, despite being cold and cloudy, and wet at first, has been more spring-like because the air has been drier.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
49 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Some blue sky arrived now it's getting dark 

As a person who is not a fan of cold I am extremely annoyed at the number of times we get thick cloud cover all day only for it to melt away about 5 minutes after sunset resulting in minus 6. Then next morning about 9am the cloud rolls in again from approaching weather front and obscures any bit of warmth generated by the sun. Thus resulting in a terrible raw cold for about 15 hours until the mild air kicks in. It's extremely annoying. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Slight tinge of spring in the air today, but the cold wind and feel has taken the edge of things, and despite the now increasing daylight in thge evening and sun strength, I've yet to settle into the full on spring mode. The outlook doesn't inspire me, will be a late experience this year into April. In some years can come as early as late Feb, but typically by the equinox.

Posted
6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Yes, this March will be one of the wettest, but its nothing like autumn.... the air is different, the lighting is different, the whole "feel" is certainly one of spring. The Marches on 2016, 2018, 2019  were very wet too.. maybe its not as uncommon as we think?

Id say by the end if the month 2018 will be closest, this year will be a step beyond those other two years in terms of the EWP for sure given we are already at 94mm and have some to add on to from today.

A wet March isn't that unusual, but this is heading into territory a little beyond normal. If the month ended on the 25th we'd have been ranked 37th wettest March ever. And we are going to be getting higher in that list as well given the outlook looks predominantly wet barring the next 36hrs. 

I think there are signs of higher pressure into April, though my feeling is it may still be more north based which will rely on a pull in from the SE to get any decent warmth in.

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Id say by the end if the month 2018 will be closest, this year will be a step beyond those other two years in terms of the EWP for sure given we are already at 94mm and have some to add on to from today.

A wet March isn't that unusual, but this is heading into territory a little beyond normal. If the month ended on the 25th we'd have been ranked 37th wettest March ever. And we are going to be getting higher in that list as well given the outlook looks predominantly wet barring the next 36hrs. 

I think there are signs of higher pressure into April, though my feeling is it may still be more north based which will rely on a pull in from the SE to get any decent warmth in.

This March is doing a bit of an April 2012, which came on the back of a very dry and very mild March, this time round its on the back of a very dry and very mild Feburary - quite an unusual combination, although we are not seeing the cold weather relatively to average as we saw in April. I've remarked before how often we seem to flip from notable to dry to notable wet and vice versa.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t want a summer where the temps hover around 19-22c with cloud, as that’s not a decent summer in my book.

I find myself still needing a jacket if it’s less than 23c with cloud in high summer.

May yes, but come June to August I want 23-27c at least.

Sunshine is an important factor, particularly during the summer. Average temps during high summer feel lovely and pleasantly warm if accompanied by sunshine. But more often than not, it is mostly cloudy or overcast when temps are around average.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Sunshine is an important factor, particularly during the summer. Average temps during high summer feel lovely and pleasantly warm if accompanied by sunshine. But more often than not, it is mostly cloudy or overcast when temps are around average.

If it’s cloudy for longer periods during high summer, it’s poor in my opinion. Even an above average month with more cloud, will be worse than a sunnier month with warmer or cooler temps.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Yet another amazing sunny March 2023 day to come for Yorkshire and Scotland, meanwhile that thick wall of cloud on the satellite is to smother the south east until sunset by the looks of it. Lovely jubbly...

• Thanks 1

GFS’s persistently depressing approach to  an Easter is concerning, it’s like a dog with a bone in not dropping the solution despite it being an outlier against its on ensemble pack and other models. GFS has a habit of sniffing these things out so it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with an unseasonably cold Easter with some snow around. Pretty much the last thing any of us want (apart from some of the crazies over in the MAD thread) 

Posted
20 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Actually, yes - as long as the price isn't yet more dull, unsettled SWlies with southerly-tracking lows.

If the northerlies of some model runs come off for early April, let's have a polar low embedded within the flow to produce a 6th April 2008 on steroids - followed by a cold bright NEly for a couple of days. Then, the high migrates SE-wards, stalls over the UK and eventually drifts a little east, the temps warming by about 2C each day, and eventually producing 21C a week later and three or four days with temps around 21C.

Finally a further N-ly plunge, albeit less potent, and finally perhaps some warm, bright but somewhat unstable easterlies with scattered thundery showers to end the month, and that's a perfect April. Zero southwesterlies too. 😉

I like  your thinking . I am putting you in charge of the weather from now on:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

Yet another amazing sunny March 2023 day to come for Yorkshire and Scotland, meanwhile that thick wall of cloud on the satellite is to smother the south east until sunset by the looks of it. Lovely jubbly...

Yep, thanks for appreciating our weather again, I’m not feeling smug in the least 🤭🤭

Could contain: Fence, Garden, Nature, Outdoors, Bench, Furniture, Animal, Bird, Yard, Tree

tbh, it’s a pleasant surprise to the bitter coldness I was expecting this morning. In my sun trap the sun feels lovely & warm. Of course, I may be changing my tune in 1/2hr when I’m up on the hill walking the dogs 🤷🏼‍♀️

Do ignore the messy garden…I haven’t finished the winter clearing yet!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Just going to ramp up how beautiful this morning is for a change! 

Could contain: Road, Tarmac, Cloud, Sky, Shelter, City, Street, Neighborhood, Cumulus, Car

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely morning in west London, if on the chilly side. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Standard cold high problems today. Beautiful start but now mostly infill. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

Yep, thanks for appreciating our weather again, I’m not feeling smug in the least 🤭🤭

Could contain: Fence, Garden, Nature, Outdoors, Bench, Furniture, Animal, Bird, Yard, Tree

tbh, it’s a pleasant surprise to the bitter coldness I was expecting this morning. In my sun trap the sun feels lovely & warm. Of course, I may be changing my tune in 1/2hr when I’m up on the hill walking the dogs 🤷🏼‍♀️

Do ignore the messy garden…I haven’t finished the winter clearing yet!

Not being horrible but i hope you guys up in Yorkshire pay for hogging all the sunshine come May onwards 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Managed about 2 hours of great sunshine but now its back to living in the Faroe Islands. Think we need a new updated sunshine map of the UK. Think it would be as follows-

London, South & South East- Faroe Islands

South West & East Anglia- Standard UK

Yorkshire- Seville

North England & Scotland- Munich

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just cannot get a reliably sunny day it seems. Pretty much clouded over now. Still, with light winds it doesn't feel too bad. Certainly better than what looks lined up between now and Easter.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Cloudy start sun for a bit now full of cloud. I thought notherlies were meant to be clear skies?! What the stained glass window has gone on with the weather!! 4 damn weeks of hardly any sun! I'm doing my nut in

Posted
6 hours ago, SunSean said:

*Utters all the swear words on the planet*

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Just going to ramp up how beautiful this morning is for a change! 

Could contain: Road, Tarmac, Cloud, Sky, Shelter, City, Street, Neighborhood, Cumulus, Car

nice to see some green grass..the snow on the ground here is stubbornly sticking around :snowman-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Temperatures just about hoovering around 10°C despite 850s at around - 5 to - 6. The power of the late March sun doing wonders when cloud permitting. 

• Like 3