Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 15th March onwards

Posted

wgc please?, good to read your winter update, certainly a lot of rain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Welwyn Garden City John...in hertfordshire...thanks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.
6 hours ago, IDO said:

^^^ Accumulated precip IMBY (London) looks great after today until around D9 based on GFS op:

animsux0.gif

This interesting dog leg structure (the green 'river') running through Wales and dropping across Hampshire looks almost exactly like this morning's rain radar. Is there a reason this is persisting?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

If we put aside the GEM which never properly builds the high, GFS and Euro basically try to push the Atlantic around day 9.

Posted
6 hours ago, Snow tyre said:

This interesting dog leg structure (the green 'river') running through Wales and dropping across Hampshire looks almost exactly like this morning's rain radar. Is there a reason this is persisting?

The animation looks like it's taken from the GFS 0Z run so will show all accumulated rainfall after midnight & so include this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Whats clear from the models for next 10 days+ is the formation of the scandi high....0z eps/gfes anoms , means..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, Head, Map

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person

EDH1-240(11).thumb.gif.14a6954bb8c979b2dc5950946578a01b.gif

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Nature

...this clear from the ens for Oslo for next 10 days or so..gfes/eps 0z

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

...this should ensure it staying mainly dry over most of the country with maybe exception of far north west..also winds from between a south and east quarter should allow for reasonable temps although maybe bit chilly on the east coast..nice spring weather to get out and about....

...further on in the extended mixed signals although probably a fall in pressure owing to troughs from the north west or the south but really too far away to worry about...

..for me just now waiting for this cloud to clear and the sun to make an appearance from the north east...

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm

..come on! ...you can do it..

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Sun, Face, Head, Person

Edited by minus10
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram The very end of the run showing a potential link up of the Azores and Scandi highs... Now that would feel lovely after such a wet March!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
4 minutes ago, thestixx said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram The very end of the run showing a potential link up of the Azores and Scandi highs... Now that would feel lovely after such a wet March!

Indeed, maybe that 20C in April could come off after all! (with a big caveat of course that this is just one run).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Just catching up, and there don't seem to have been any unexpected developments since Friday...

animtsk9.gifanimdlx5.gif

The blip day for most of us looks like Thursday now, although many areas seem like they might only see a small amount of rain with any luck, and it looks like the first two days of the long weekend may be dry...

animfzg9.gifanimxss3.gif

Some chilly nights at first, but also the chance of feeling a little warmth in the daytime later on (into the bank holiday weekend) if the cloud and wind in any given location would permit it...

animjbb2.gifanimurq2.gif

It looks like the Atlantic trough may pose a threat again towards the end of the bank holiday weekend, with some suggestion that it may try to hook up with a cousin somewhere over southern Europe later on...

eps_z500_mslp_eu_fh6-342.thumb.gif.0184875d8e05a08c0471d67c273a9872.gifgfs-ens_z500_mslp_eu_fh0-336(1).thumb.gif.6b12b6827a81ddce6402d5564965e591.gif

Could contain: Book, Comics, Publication, Person

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Indeed, maybe that 20C in April could come off after all! (with a big caveat of course that this is just one run).

I would be surprised if we don't hit 20C at some point this month.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks more than likely that the Atlantic will be making appearance around about mid weekish then this time next week. At least a few good days of dry weather to look forward too😎

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Atlantic trough says "I will let you have your dry Easter Sunday, but make the most of it, for in time I will seek reimbursement..."

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, RainAllNight said:

Atlantic trough says "I will let you have your dry Easter Sunday, but make the most of it, for in time I will seek reimbursement..."

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot 

Will the high tell the Atlantic to do one though?! 🤔

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Looks like Ecm and Icon the most bullish with trough activity next weekend from the charts you have posted...then there is the 'blip' this Thursday...looks like it might not be as dry as i thought although still remain fairly confident that we will get at least some decent weather..

EDH1-192(4).thumb.gif.940910e15df6fec7b52d868bd834dc46.gif

EDH101-192(4).thumb.gif.2e1463232c8a49b42dc755086426402f.gif

...problem will be if the higher pressure ends up too far north east and our good ole friend the Azores high doesnt ridge in..... allowing the trough space...

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
On 20/03/2023 at 15:13, Eagle Eye said:

The destructive influence of the WWB can be seen at just day 3 really well now and it'd setting up a more semi-zonal kind of setup with a jet retraction rather than an equstorward jet as the AAM falls from the recent -VE EANY though the retraction is unlikely yo be large. The SE US ridge isn't entirely stable in terms of advection given that it's the start of US storm season it can easily be pulled up via WAA from troughs and that may favour a weak RWT like pattern especially as momentum rises rather than falls over the North Atlantic and so I could see the rising of the UK-Scandi high possibly sometime around April. AAM is unlikely to rise enough for it now and the North Pacific Jet stays slightly retracted buy I think eventually we'll see a poleward shift/extension and as we go into Spring that may favour AWB that leads to a UK-Scandi type high. Given the nuetral/Nino ENSO state expected and how the AAM has been acting over Winter, there may be a slight favour towards a warmer summer however thers only if the high is forced correctly. As it could quite easily be forced into the mid-Atlantic if the SE US ridge remains in place as that's the typical response given that setup as a Rossby packet 'pushes through'. Alternatively, if the forcing from the background signal is for AWB similar to early March then unlikely early March; the high might be pushed more towards a UK-Scandi high and that's typically a warm summer flow as far as I know. It's what some of the seasonal models are showing with an Ekman pumping esque WAA scenario which is really not good for the heat haters.

I miscounted for surface slack flow with destructive divergence at the mid-troposphere level accounting for slack line cold development in opposition to the pivot of the high. The extreme low-levels (e.g surface skin layer or the area roughly up to the 925 hpa area) will lose a lot of heat by radiation and at this time of year this hangs about just about. Given a few months and that quickly changes with very warm 850's and warm air artificially trapped near the surface so this same setup would be a lot more potent in Summer.

The thing is that the constructive wave influence of the AAM and destructive local influences (e.g. zonal wavebreaking supporters such as destructive WWB's of which one is expected relatively soon over the more influential than it's given credit for area, the north Pacific) given the transitioning of the ENSO and the near neutral AAM are likely to mean that forcing will remain generally pattern like and I think the UK-Scandi high could set the tone for the Summer and that's a hot summer setup. Alternatively, the fall of the east US ridge might allow it to be a bit wetter and maybe less hot but I still think it could be quite a warm summer given the strength plumes now hold (also appear to be getting drier so harder for the classic thunderstorms unless a subtle trough or something similar advects moisture but I think that's just me) and also the east US ridge has been setup there for a while now.  

The NPJ Phase Diagram appears to be going back to where it was about a month ago, hence my thoughts behind a repeating pattern appear to be backed up.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Piste, Snow, Sport

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 5

Posted

No post in 9 hours, firmly into the quiet season in this thread it seems, generally April and May seems to bring a lull in here.

What are the models showing, all very average typical April weather - not the April showers mind (never quite know where that phrase comes from, perhaps used to denote that April seldom brings deluge and sustained periods of rain, but more fits and bursts, and certainly polar airstreams are often common and produce homegrown convection by now..). Anyhow any rain forecast for the forseeable will come from frontal activity, with the atlantic doing battle somewhat with continental heights, the latter does appear to have the slightly upper hand right now, but won't be strong enough to prevent fronts from invading by Wednesday through until Friday - could be quite wet for many. Thankfully just in time for the long weekend things look set to calm down, with high pressure back on the scene from the NE. Into next week perhaps a repeat performance, but with heights lurking to the SW ridging in we may pull in a feed of mild tropical air for a short while boosting temps - further into the middle of the month signs the atlantic could easily return. 

• Like 4

Posted

Good Friday through to Easter Sunday look dry for most of us on all the 12z runs, though a few are cutting it a bit fine on the latter:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

They all agree that the trough breaks through on Easter Monday:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

The GFS ensemble prefers us to remain within the influence of the trough thereafter (from what I can see of it so far, the ECM ensemble agrees on this), and it makes us wait until deepest FI for an intervention from the Azores; the precip anomalies for week 2 aren't horrible though.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Plant, Vegetation, Map, Atlas, Diagram, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Plant, Vegetation, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

For the south coast at least, the ECM ensemble meteograms are nothing to complain about, looking particularly at the precipitation and geopotential heights, and also noting the often above-average 2m temps:

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

FWIW, week 3 looked decent on the ECM extended ensemble this morning:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, MapCould contain: ChartCould contain: Chart, Plot

This afternoon's ensemble shows ridging appearing at the end of week 2, as the GEFS did.

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Nice ending on the ECM operational this evening, with an almost brief plume set up and probably locally the first 20°C. Other than that not seeing much signs for anything overly warm in the next 10-14 days. 

Perhaps the second half of the month we'll see something warmer. 

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Well this chart is a very welcome one! high pressure domination, Southwesterly sourced upper flow, 564DAM height nudging the Southwest, that suggests to me a lot of warm, mainly dry, very pleasant, fine Spring weather!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, Head

About ruddy time too! How long does it last?

• Like 2