Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 15th March onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

There are no dramas from this afternoon's ensembles concerning next week, but beyond that, the ECM ensemble is just as keen as it was this morning (and as keen as the 12z deterministic is) to give us a cold Easter... 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot

EDIT: Lol, I just remembered having posted the below chart yesterday morning. I've seen it said here that the GFS likes to pick up signals first, and then drop them before the other models pick them up...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Map, Head, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The ECM has been consistant in bringing a colder flow from the NE from day 8>10 over the past few runs

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.59876a5a6f4414cea9877e41e1b44da8.gifECH0-240.thumb.gif.7bcb84a97de79ac9b47c1f0873624137.gif

the control follows somewhat with the same pattern...

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Modern Art

and a pretty cold outlook from the EPS ens with blocking the form horse to our N/NW 

Could contain: ChartCould contain: Book, Publication, ComicsCould contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Ct Scan

814day_03.thumb.gif.bf31c8035a9e65f0b98ec13b9267ccb9.gifforecast_3_nh.thumb.gif.e6bcfa79876096ef2de4014c56034418.gif

a waisted situation i know at this time of the year but snow isn't unheard of going into the easter period but i wan't some warmth now as i think the majority in here does

hang on in there peeps.

• Like 7

Posted

Quite big disagreements this morning.

GFS and GEM cleanly bring in the high pressure belt.

UKMO briefly brings it in before a low shunts it aside.

ECMWF brings in the low and it departs leaving an easterly in its wake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Alexis said:

Quite big disagreements this morning.

GFS and GEM cleanly bring in the high pressure belt.

UKMO briefly brings it in before a low shunts it aside.

ECMWF brings in the low and it departs leaving an easterly in its wake.

I guess we will have to wait until the models can see the nature of the second low pressure system more clearly.

animtem1.gifanimxxt6.gifanimzrs8.gifanimkvy5.gifanimmvu5.gif

The ensembles seem to just about favour the ridge fending off the low from the west, with ECM's North Sea low option also seen in a few of the MOGREPS-G ensemble members.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation, AtlasCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, MapCould contain: Art, Collage, Person, Text

These ECM ensemble meteograms for the south coast depict the initial change this weekend, then a possible wet blip on Tuesday, followed by a spell of northeasterly winds and below-average temps running through the Easter bank holiday weekend...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

All I can say it's a massive gamble for any forecast going out over Easter, although I do see a trend of it being quite chilly out of any sunshine ,if that's we are lucky😂😨😂

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick2373 said:

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart, Plot

And finally the 00z  brings in long awaited warmth, the trend as been there a few days now things starting to firm out.

Meanwhile ECM ens more bullish on very cool theme.

Could contain: Chart

• Like 3

Posted

If you watch the 2m temp anomaly animation for the ECM ensemble, it looks like it wants to give us both of the cold shots that have previously been seen on different ensembles - a shot from the east for southern Britain in the working week before Easter, and then shot(s) from the north/northeast over the bank holiday weekend...

eps_T2ma_eu_fh0-360.thumb.gif.1a5dbd5c21926e878d74bea6ab0a34fd.gif

Another small update, which contradicts the above, GFS 6z lets the second low (merged with another one behind it) breach the ridge on Tuesday and lets the resulting westerly flow continue through until the ridge pushes north again on Good Friday (which is still FI)...

EDIT: Another twist - although we didn't get an ECM para det run on Meteociel this morning, we do have a set of meteograms from this morning's ECM para ensemble run, which suggest that the para is more firmly against the "Tuesday blip" idea than the operational is. I will leave it to you to look these up for your own locations should you wish:

Current ensemble: https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/opencharts_meteogram/overview/epsgram?base_time=202303290000&epsgram=classical_10d&lat=50.7167&lon=-2.0&station_name=Poole

Upgraded ensemble: https://charts-dev.ecmwf.int/products/opencharts_meteogram_esuite/overview/epsgram?base_time=202303290000&epsgram=classical_10d_48r1&lat=50.7167&lon=-2.0&station_name=Poole

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Meanwhile ECM ens more bullish on very cool theme.

Could contain: Chart

Control and GFS Op will drop in line with the mean next few days, delivering warm just slightly above average temps

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
32 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

Control and GFS Op will drop in line with the mean next few days, delivering warm just slightly above average temps

Really....how can you be so certain?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I dont like this, at all. High pressure ridging just West of us, linking with the strong high over Greenland. Low pressure to our far Northeast, this smacks of a surface flow from the northeasterly quadrant.. although itll be predominantly dry, itll be cool too, with Eastern and Central areas prone to that dreadful low grey Northsea cloud.

This isnt what we want to see in April..

814day.03.gif

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

I dont like this, at all. High pressure ridging just West of us, linking with the strong high over Greenland. Low pressure to our far Northeast, this smacks of a surface flow from the northeasterly quadrant.. although itll be predominantly dry, itll be cool too, with Eastern and Central areas prone to that dreadful low grey Northsea cloud.

814day.03.gif

Not sure how much reassurance this will be, but the GEFS has been losing interest in Greenland over the last few runs. The 6z moving average mean below shows this:

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_fh120-384.gif

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Really....how can you be so certain?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

Trend which seems to picking up momentum on each run, granted things can change at a drop of an hat, note ppn spikes at the bottom are dropping each run which is also usually a good indicator 

• Like 1

Posted

MOGREPS-G 6z has its control member and a few perturbations contemplating the minor cold shot from the east next week that we've seen suggested in other ensembles.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Smoke PipeCould contain: Chart, Line Chart, Plot

Could contain: Art, Collage, Chart, Plot, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Text, Person, Calendar

For what it's worth, while MOGREPS 6z has plenty of members showing the possible westerly relapse on Tuesday, the ECM ensemble 6z hardly shows that possibility at all, preferring any attack to look like this instead (sort of from the north but not, I don't know quite how you describe it):

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted

This isn't looking as amplified in the semi-reliable timeframe any more, it's got me a little nervous...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

The GFS ensemble mean manages to stay just about the right side of a fail up to T+168h...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map

FI looks like it's going to be fine again though, the ridge starts pushing north again around day 8.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And here's the latest from the Met. Office:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 hour ago, RainAllNight said:

This isn't looking as amplified in the semi-reliable timeframe any more, it's got me a little nervous...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

The GFS ensemble mean manages to stay just about the right side of a fail up to T+168h...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map

FI looks like it's going to be fine again though, the ridge starts pushing north again around day 8.

GFS ensemble FI looks pretty much spot on for Easter!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 5

Posted

Evening all 😀

My eyes are drawn to the trough and LP developing over Iberia. It’s this rather than Greenland blocking which opens the door to an E’ly. It’s something we see in late spring and brings unsettled weather with showers and storms to southern Britain while the north and especially north west Scotland does well.

The trough develops over the Western Sahara and Canaries and moves north - a broad but shallow feature on 12Z GEM but deeper and more defined with time on 12z GFS.

Let’s see if ECM develops a similar idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
51 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

GFS ensemble FI looks pretty much spot on for Easter!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Looks like the chance of a chilly easterly undercut to me. Perhaps sheltered N and W parts best looking at that?

• Like 3

Posted
59 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Looks like the chance of a chilly easterly undercut to me. Perhaps sheltered N and W parts best looking at that?

Dry though, right?!

Might need someone to explain ECM to me today, I can see it's dropped its unique North Sea low idea, but not sure other than that...

animbpi8.gif

Edited by RainAllNight

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes looking more settled into next week.

An active day especially for the South on Friday, With Gales and rough seas across the Channel.. Warnings are issued and will possibly upgrade nearer the time, Or warning areas could be further inland. One to keep an eye on. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm, Person

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

814day.03.gif

It's not the worst setup for areas further west though where temps could end up average to above. It's definitely not ideal for the time of year but there are worse scenarios that could happen. I'd take that sort of setup over an April 2012 setup for example.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Scorcher said:

It's not the worst setup for areas further west though where temps could end up average to above. It's definitely not ideal for the time of year but there are worse scenarios that could happen. I'd take that sort of setup over an April 2012 setup for example.

Agree with poster from Derby! horrible setup for this area, cold, max min around 6 degrees, grey with drizzle, all about location, W areas looking at sun and 15 degrees, very normal setup for this time of year

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.
2 hours ago, Methuselah said:

And here's the latest from the Met. Office:

Thank you for that. That's the clearest explanation of amplification I have seen. So while the AMPLITUDE of the waveform increases, this causes the lows piling in from the west to slow down and eventually, the pattern of the scandi high (in this instance, i recognise) blocks it so we get weather systems moving more slowly towards and over us, yes?

• Like 1