Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 15th March onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

GFS 12z ensembles with fairly strong agreement about things settling down from day 7. Can't come soon enough. Hopefully warmth to follow!! 🙂 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
20 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

is snow watch back on 👀

It will be if ECM verifies.........!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, richie3846 said:

I notice that the GFS doesn't suggest cold for this time period. I suggest the way the ECM hws the cold area  isolated from the north, like it somehow intensifies the cold further south, I rather doubt this will be the case.

Often can be from the east. I've see snow in the south east, warm spring temps in Scotland before now.

• Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

is snow watch back on 👀

I doubt it, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

I think we can say the ecm op is 'mostly' without support..

Could contain: Chart

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Spring is even more elusive this morning with GFS following yesterday's ECM bringing in a notable northerly in early April, cold enough in fact for widespread wintry showers and night time frost. How very different to last year which had a freak heatwave in mid March.

Andy

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
30 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Spring is even more elusive this morning with GFS following yesterday's ECM bringing in a notable northerly in early April, cold enough in fact for widespread wintry showers and night time frost. How very different to last year which had a freak heatwave in mid March.

Andy

GFS op was pretty miserable but on the lower end of the pack by a mile, in fact an outlier for quite a large section. Ensembles are suggesting mid teens and dry by day 7, and even a few members show early spring heatwaves out in FI.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Day 7 charts showing how we may or may not get some of that cold out of Scandinavia:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Art, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Nature

GFS FI wants us to keep going with the colder winds for a while:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoorsimage.thumb.png.a1aa91a4082c2d013e0b70e0b0b5ec81.png

GFS ensemble is very keen on the northern blocking, but...

Could contain: Person, Outdoors, Nature, Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, Head

...in a way that looks (to my amateur eyes) more like the ECM FI, which wants to take us back to business as usual quite quickly (although those heights to the south do disappear later on that GFS ensemble mean above):

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Person  

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well with gfs this morning following the path of ecm yesterday ....

3Could contain: Chart

...it got me thinking...high res verses low res?

..noticeable quite frequently how ops tend to go out on their own flipping from one extreme to another while the ens remain fairly constant ..obviously i am aware that they can flip also on occasions too however it seems to me that lately the ens are making a better job of it..no indication from them presently of very much colder weather for the beginning of April from the north east as far as i am aware although it doesnt look particularaly warm and settled as such either...

..the other thing is with the eps all going high resolution from June (as i understand it) it will be interesting to see how that plays out...will we see more flipping as with the ops because they will all be high res?..is that necessarily better for the extended or for trends is low resolution more appropriate?...just my thoughts...others may disagree..😀

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

One thing looks relatively likely or not likely, high pressure building in from the south ,not likely for Early April, not picticularly warm  , remaining changeable, to unsettled with the caveat of some colder conditions from the north. Not a very inspiring outlook to be honest if you want some welcome sunshine and drier warmer weather😨😟😤😣😦

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

The ECM and GFS 0z ensemble means are both quite similar and quite interesting this morning, the grabs below are from days 0, 5, 8, 13 and 15. Not quite sure what's happening over the UK and Europe between days 8 and 13...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Art, Modern Art, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Map, Head, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head

EDIT: Just noticed that one of the few significant differences between the two ensembles is that the GFS seems to show a surface easterly over the UK on the day 13 chart where as the ECM does not.

The moving average precipitation anomaly charts from both models lose any positive precipitation anomaly over Great Britain by the period 1-7 April, and this remains the case by 4-11 April (which is as far as these runs go):

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, VegetationCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

Wind roses and temps for my back yard on the south coast:

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM op and ECM para are interesting to watch side-by-side this morning due to their contrasting endings.

animedv4.gifanimdav6.gif

animhnv6.gifanimxbm1.gif

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

To be fair snow in spring is as much use as a walking stick as a club on a par 5 tee 🤣 I’m for looking forward to that first day this year that reaches a pleasant 18oC

LO

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 hours ago, minus10 said:

I think we can say the ecm op is 'mostly' without support..

What about from the para?

Posted
32 minutes ago, Lincs Observation said:

To be fair snow in spring is as much use as a walking stick as a club on a par 5 tee 🤣 I’m for looking forward to that first day this year that reaches a pleasant 18oC

LO

Yeah me to, I haven't cleared my garden yet, been to cold and wet.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS and GEM both keep the low pressure spell relatively brief before popping high pressure somewhere near the UK. 

Euro this morning was fairly wet and mobile so it will be interesting to see if it follows the trend. 

• Like 3

Posted

What a difference five days can make... I don't know what weather we will get from this but I don't really mind, it's just a joy to see those moody blues replaced with vibrant greens at long last!!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Accessories, Disk, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

A really wintry GFS FI this morning

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Some harsh frosts and a sprinkling of snow about on this run

Gone this afternoon, hopefully never to return! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
11 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

What a difference five days can make... I don't know what weather we will get from this but I don't really mind, it's just a joy to see those moody blues replaced with vibrant greens at long last!!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Accessories, Disk, Outdoors

not where i live..ruddy cold start to April as per usual 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Haven`t looked at the ECM ENS for a few days but not shocked to see this 0z outlier.  We await the model upgrade.

graphe_ens3.thumb.gif.2263e6644ea60fa8fc8d3a302b422e40.gif

Edited by Stuie

Posted
12 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

It wasn’t a freak heatwave. We had a few days in the high teens and around 20c with longer spells of sunshine. 

• Like 1