Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 15th March onwards

Posted
37 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Heatwave in April sounds better than one in the summer months that’s for sure. Not sure how likely the GFS op is to verify though being at odds with the rest!

It's done it before so can't be dismissed!!  However, what would be more concerning if it was to come off is that it could be a sign of things to come!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Still looking OK this afternoon for a better first week of April, would be nice to start seeing this at day 7 on the deterministic runs soon...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Person, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, Snowboy111 said:

Anybody make anything of this little channel low for midnight tomorrow. Showed up on the 12z and now the pub run. Gales for the Channel Islands ?? Moves towards se England for mid morning  

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Plant, Vegetation

Ukv take..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
4 hours ago, Don said:

Seen outliers like that a fair few times in recent years and they have actually been correct!!

Yep the 40c period for example, that 1st showed as an outlier on GFS . To add though it often did this in previous year's so was bound to be right eventually.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Yep the 40c period for example, that 1st showed as an outlier on GFS . To add though it often did this in previous year's so was bound to be right eventually.

It was a similar story with the heat spikes in June/July 2019 and July 2020 too, so perhaps it is on to something!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

If your looking for spring don't view this mornings ECM, it's a washout from Start to finish and cooler as well as we go into April, indeed, by +240 we have a Scandy high and cold easterlies into Scotland.

Oh dear.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

If anyone claims they know how Easter is going to turn out they are telling porkies! Absolutely enormous swings in the gfs out in twelve hours from a BBQ Easter and to an extension on winter.

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot

Posted
42 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

If your looking for spring don't view this mornings ECM, it's a washout from Start to finish and cooler as well as we go into April, indeed, by +240 we have a Scandy high and cold easterlies into Scotland.

Oh dear.

Andy

Perhaps avoid the GFS as well which brings a Greenland high and snow before Easter. Certainly nothing settled or warm on offer just yet and the warnings of an extended cool Spring due to the SSW look accurate as things stand.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Changeable to very unsettled weather for the forseable and yes potential for a disturbed Easter as well. 😕

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

Perhaps avoid the GFS as well which brings a Greenland high and snow before Easter. Certainly nothing settled or warm on offer just yet and the warnings of an extended cool Spring due to the SSW look accurate as things stand.

Spring is running above average so far on the CET- the SSW may prevent warm high pressure dominance but it certainly doesn't guarantee it will be cool.

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

Also what are we categorising as 'warm' in late March?

My average max temp over the last 8 days is 14.3C and average min temp is 7.2C. It's actually a fairly impressive warm spell statistically for this early in the season.

We've only had one day that has failed to reach 14C in that time.

I think one of the perils of looking too far ahead is that you miss what is already right in front of you.

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

My average max temp over the last 8 days is 14.3C and average min temp is 7.2C. It's actually a fairly impressive warm spell statistically for this early in the season.

I think one of the perils of looking too far ahead is that you miss what is already right in front of you.

Yes fair point but it's only a couple of weeks since we had a significant snow event here and then another covering on the 14th. The last week has been mild but only a couple of those days have felt 'Spring like' as the others have been wet and blustery which despite the temperature have certainly felt rather chilly. 

It's the kind of calm, sunny weather that enables you to feel the strength of the sun which has been in short supply so far here. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

I suspect when people say "warm" they mean "settled, sunny, and not cold for the time of year". 14C, dull, wet and windy might meet that definition on temperature, but not the other attributes, It isn't really many people's idea of spring weather; it's autumnal, not spring-like.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

I suspect when people say "warm" they mean "settled, sunny, and not cold for the time of year". 14C, dull, wet and windy might meet that definition on temperature, but not the other attributes, It isn't really many people's idea of spring weather; it's autumnal, not spring-like.

Autumnal 😆 We had everything now when Spring is called Autumnal!

April showers anybody? The weather we are having now is EXACTLY what Spring is, with sudden downpours, warmth then cold as the PV wanes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

March looking to go out on a quiet, chilly note, but the 12z GFS op at day 5 is just taking the mickey.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Animal, Livestock, Mammal, Sheep

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Evening all,some time ago in one of my blogs I suggested March CET would be below average,looking at the 12z ECM tonight it looks highly likely that the end of March could well tip it into a below average CET if the ECM is correct this evening.

I can't see the same thing you are seeing. It looks mild at the end of March except 2 or 3 days, starting tomorrow, which are slightly below average but nothing exceptional.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
7 hours ago, chapmanslade said:

Autumnal 😆 We had everything now when Spring is called Autumnal!

Autumnal as in constant southwesterlies, grey skies, mild nights, humid air, low cloud base and non-convective rainfall, which has been the dominant weather type here for the last two weeks.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
2 hours ago, Cambrian said:

March looking to go out on a quiet, chilly note, but the 12z GFS op at day 5 is just taking the mickey.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Animal, Livestock, Mammal, Sheep

Where do you see March going out on a "quiet chilly note" - can't see that on the GFS or the ECM. To be fair the T+240 on the ECM does meet that description, but can't see anything resembling that in March, except on Monday.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Very uninspiring reflected by how quiet it is in here… it looks April will begin much like most of March. Anaemic temperatures and above average rainfall, this is likely the lingering aftermath of late winter SSW at work.

Could contain: ChartCould contain: Chart, Heat Map, Blackboard

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, TwisterGirl81 said:

I’m really trying my hardest to understand how 14c can be classed as warm….18c is where I’d set the ball park on when temperatures start to feel slightly warm. 

We can get 14c in winter down here during a mild spell. This spring so far for down here in the south has been what I’d describe as cool with cold shots thanks to the SWW! And I can’t wait until it does one and spring finally decides to show up. Having said that I’d rather have the rain mow rather than the second half of spring. Hope to god it warms up soon, seems to be taking for ever to warm up 

Those up north might consider 14c warm lol

• Like 2