Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 15th March onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Iceman2606 said:

As expected...😂

Could contain: Chart

Wow the ensembles follow the cold from yesterday, and opp and control go outlier warm, you couldn't make it up. Mind you that's deep FL anyway. Looks to be average after a mild blip closer to now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
32 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

A ghost, maybe? 👻

Anyway, not really a solution that appears in the ECM clusters.  I think the direction of travel is actually towards a colder end to the month.  Here’s the clusters for T192-T240 and T264+

Could contain: Book, Comics, Publication, Ct Scan, PersonCould contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Ct Scan, Pattern

Looks to be a signal to push up an Atlantic ridge, which may go on to develop a northerly flow, which in the case of cluster 2 in the extended looks quite potent.  One final hurrah for winter maybe for those further north…

Yes, either that or its been drinking...mind you its not even the pub run..🤪

..the ecm ens still sober though with the mean showing the cooler dip between 25th and 30th...

Could contain: Chart

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

No apparent change yet, at least for the next ten days, with all models in a westerly flow, but as we are on the cold side of the jet, there are chances of flirtations with some colder upper air.

GEM: animvfn6.gif

ECManimtxm1.gif

So cold rain IMBY but maybe some transient wintry stuff on hills and mountains up north.

Post-D10 GFS is messy and has been for some runs, so maybe stick with the status quo until stronger evidence of a change. The S London GEFS 850S:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
41 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GFS this morning again intent on bringing a cold blast in at the end of the month.  Here T288:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Chart, Plot, Art

Looking at the cross section of zonal winds at 60N, this has shown up on a number of runs, and seems to be due to another downwelling from the SSW, you can see the effect reaching the troposphere around the turn of the month:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Heat Map

Yes although the ens are not with this ...

Could contain: Chart, Plot

..could it be as i think was alluded to before that the high res is more capable of detecting this downwelling signal perhaps than the ens...however with the op variability at present i wouldnt like to say..unsettled and cool at times seems a fair bet...

• Like 4

Posted

Think the main takeaway from gfs 6z for next 8 days or so is the rainfull..

animdva4.thumb.gif.834ece861b053ae6046194e08cae94c6.gif

animmge7.thumb.gif.c1096e3469fa2cc103a110bbbe9a37b4.gif

..should help get that soil moisture content up for those areas that need it......as well as those areas that dont....

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
18 hours ago, Iceman2606 said:

Stonking GFS 12z for the end of March. Will most certainly be a major outlier but great eye candy nonetheless.

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Chart, Plot, OutdoorsCould contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Outdoors

Despite those 850s the surface temps would not be as high as you'd have thought due to the sunshine strength still at this time of year.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

I miss these charts so much 😭

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

I miss these charts so much 😭

Site is being weird today, my last post in a different thread kept saying you can't post more than once in a certain time period, and also didn't show in recent posts. I hadn't made any other posts. It did post my post, though. If I had kept pressing submit, there would have been more than one like this. Edit this one went through alright.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

This has to be the worst combo this week, wet and windy (gusty). ugh.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Traditionally - but not always, this time of year should see a quietening down in the atlantic, but this year it looks like gearing up a level, such has been its notable calmess all season in the main.

An unsettled outlook, low pressure could be a deep feature as we see cold air to the north clash with the mild tropical air to the south.. could be quite a deluge for many, meaning March 2023 will likely go down as a wet month, perhaps notably so for some - making up for the very dry February. 

The models continue to show the atlantic trough finally edging east through the coming weekend, allowing polar air to filter down on its western flank - though any cold shot looks shortlived, but could still throw up a wintry recipe for northern parts with the return of frost.

Compared to february which was a high pressure fest, this March looks like being a low pressure fest with nothing particularly settled on the horizon likely through the months end. Temperatures a bit above average for a time, but won't feel pleasant in the wind, cloud and rain, becoming closer to average or a bit below in the north. Overall not a particular inspiring outlook.

Look awful to be honest. I'd expect some flooding stories to be hitting the news in the next couple of weeks in some Western areas looking at the latest charts.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Text, Purple, OutdoorsCould contain: Purple, Chart, Plot, Text

Would have much rather this happened in February! Some high pressure and sunshine would feel lovely now it's late March, but it looks like we're going to have to wait and see what April can deliver this year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The Atlantic in full control, and I'm still sticking my neck out and saying that the Easter period is volatile as well with very unsettled weather. ⚡💧☔🌀😲

Posted

Both ecm 0z and gfs 6z  showing this low just off se on the 26th..one to watch if it gets signalled to deepen in later runs..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Art, Graphics

• Like 4

Posted
57 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Both ecm 0z and gfs 6z  showing this low just off se on the 26th..one to watch if it gets signalled to deepen in later runs..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Art, Graphics

Snowfall chances looking at that.Maybe winter isnt finished yet,

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Well these charts are consistent, and suggest high pressure building to our South as we enter April. This should dry things out a bit, and, after a possible chillier phase - become pleasantly mild.

814day.03.gif

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, Head

There is still ridging of that nature showing this morning, though the precip anomaly suggests it might not be getting far enough north to help us?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, ArtCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Happy spring equinox! 

Both 0z GEM and 6z GFS ensemble means trying to get into the swing of things by day 15 with a build of heights up from the Azores high into the south and west of the UK and Ireland, but the 0z ECM keeps a flatter pattern with lower heights and a more of a straight westerly Atlantic influence. 

GEM / GFS / ECM

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Accessories, Art, Graphics, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art
Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Chart, Plot Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art, Modern Art
Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Indeed, looking at the mean T850s, GEM and GFS making some modest headway only, but the ECM day 1 to 15 animations perhaps capture the pattern most neatly - oscillating between milder and colder, nothing too far from normal, the occasional attempt at a ridge but broadly staying changeable with low pressure maintained over the Atlantic and not looking to warm up any time soon. 

28D47966-42A8-476B-A040-8A016D307B0F.thumb.gif.f48c58a93502e525683cca407907c295.gif 6EDAFDE4-0C4E-47FB-BD07-1331DFA6B993.thumb.gif.a4aaa34082c50ee62c7fa9aea8b6e10b.gif

And that’s the thing that’s nagging at me, particularly with the ECM output -  with the clocks going forward next weekend, this is beginning to eat into valuable spring / summer time and if recent years are anything to go by that only leaves us with another 7 months or so of scope for warm weather before we’re at the end of October and the clocks are going back. That’d be just our luck, you couldn’t make it up.

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Cambrian said:

Happy spring equinox! 

Both 0z GEM and 6z GFS ensemble means trying to get into the swing of things by day 15 with a build of heights up from the Azores high into the south and west of the UK and Ireland, but the 0z ECM keeps a flatter pattern with lower heights and a more of a straight westerly Atlantic influence. 

GEM / GFS / ECM

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Accessories, Art, Graphics, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art
Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Chart, Plot Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art, Modern Art
Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Chart, Plot Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Indeed, looking at the mean T850s, GEM and GFS making some modest headway only, but the ECM day 1 to 15 animations perhaps capture the pattern most neatly - oscillating between milder and colder, nothing too far from normal, the occasional attempt at a ridge but broadly staying changeable with low pressure maintained over the Atlantic and not looking to warm up any time soon. 

28D47966-42A8-476B-A040-8A016D307B0F.thumb.gif.f48c58a93502e525683cca407907c295.gif 6EDAFDE4-0C4E-47FB-BD07-1331DFA6B993.thumb.gif.a4aaa34082c50ee62c7fa9aea8b6e10b.gif

And that’s the thing that’s nagging at me, particularly with the ECM output -  with the clocks going forward next weekend, this is beginning to eat into valuable spring / summer time and if recent years are anything to go by that only leaves us with another 7 months or so of scope for warm weather before we’re at the end of October and the clocks are going back. That’d be just our luck, you couldn’t make it up.

Only 7 months?!

That's more than enough thank you very much 😁.

The time I love settled sunny weather the most is in Spring when it's not too warm but that doesn't look likely just yet. At the moment the models - particularly the GFS and GEM - are hinting at a possible rise in pressure as we head towards Easter but it's pretty tentative at the moment. It's been fairly wet here but nothing out of the ordinary and I suspect we may well be due a very wet month at some point soon. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, RainAllNight said:

There is still ridging of that nature showing this morning, though the precip anomaly suggests it might not be getting far enough north to help us?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, ArtCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

Possibly, but at this range i wouldnt worry about the detail, and i have no idea how accurate those precip prediction charts are. It must be said though that the EPS 00z wasnt as progressive with the ridge on the 12z i posted. The main theme is an expected ridge to build to our near South, the 546DAM is over most of England and Wales, how much ppn we get will depend on how strong the ridge builds, and i find that sometimes its the timing thats out more than the pattern..

• Insightful 1