Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

June and July were too humid in their respective second halves. I'd actually prefer June 18 and July 13. Or actually, just replace both with 2006 and keep the August (or swap for 1995).

The first week of June 23 was a bit cool and cloudy for me, but you’ll struggle to find a hot sunny June that isn’t at least partially spoiled by North Sea murk (for eastern areas). June 2018 had North Sea murk in the first week too. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
31 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Loving this warmth ☀️

It is a bonus. An odd summer season, feels like a concert.. when an artist reserves their best and biggest hits for the start of the show i.e. June, but then most of it is filled with second rate fillers or new songs no one wants to hear interspersed with flashes of songs we want to hear, mixed in briefly ( July and August).... you are waiting for the encore thinking is that it.. and it finally arrives with a mighty albeit shortlived flurry ( early Sept).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Having the summer and autumn threads running in parallel and talking about the same event is getting rather confusing...!

Anyway, a slightly odd day today. Surprisingly chilly early on, with considerable murk and haze. I was in Birmingham and you couldn't see beyond halfway up the tallest skyscrapers. Once the sun came out in late morning things warmed up rapidly, though the forecast 29 °C was a fair way off - topped out at 26.4 °C here, I guess partly down to the slow start.

Air pollution starting to be a factor now. The Defra UK Air forecast for Saturday has levels into the "High" category across a swathe of northern England and "Very High" for a few areas of Lincolnshire. 😕

UK-AIR.DEFRA.GOV.UK

Edited by Arctic Hare
added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What an absolutely perfect evening. 

i would genuinely take this all year if I could. Sat outside in a thin t shirt and shorts and my body feels the perfect temperature.

Wild that it’s September though - mentally I’ve actually switched back into summer mode lol. I’m so confused. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Nice afterglow colours with the Saharan dust at play again, was quite a yellowish dirty looking sky. 

Lovely warm evening at 23°C, when walking in the woods you can feel some spots are warmer and others a bit cooler when you go lower down.

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
34 minutes ago, Azazel said:

i would genuinely take this all year if I could. Sat outside in a thin t shirt and shorts and my body feels the perfect temperature.

Wild that it’s September though - mentally I’ve actually switched back into summer mode lol. I’m so confused. 

So true, it’s almost like we’ll have had two short summers, with a bad dream in July in the middle! 😅

I kinda wish I was going to Spain a week later rather than tomorrow, just to see out this unusual spell, but it is what it is. Don’t usually miss warm/hot sunny weather in September!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
51 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Imagine how nature feels lol, I'm not sure plants or animals know if they are coming or going at the minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another beautiful day here, barely a cloud. Hard work in the garden but got shed loads of that lovely, vitamin D producing sunlight. Autumn can wait a while longer, thanks very much! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Met forecasting a low of 19C tonight, seems a tad high but we’ll see 

16 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'll be making the most of the next 4 days because we are unlikely to see anything like it again for about 7 and a half months. Which is a really depressing thought. For me anyway.

I’m sure we will still get pleasant low 20s days after the weekend. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Circumzenithal arc I believe it's called

Yes. Otherwise known as "the tear in the dimension that the aliens create when they peek in on how we are doing"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Having the summer and autumn threads running in parallel and talking about the same event is getting rather confusing...!

Anyway, a slightly odd day today. Surprisingly chilly early on, with considerable murk and haze. I was in Birmingham and you couldn't see beyond halfway up the tallest skyscrapers. Once the sun came out in late morning things warmed up rapidly, though the forecast 29 °C was a fair way off - topped out at 26.4 °C here, I guess partly down to the slow start.

Air pollution starting to be a factor now. The Defra UK Air forecast for Saturday has levels into the "High" category across a swathe of northern England and "Very High" for a few areas of Lincolnshire. 😕

UK-AIR.DEFRA.GOV.UK

Yeah, the summer thread should probably be archived now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

My mother is often saying that in her ideal world it would be hot and sunny every day all year round and it would only rain at night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Just got back from cycling. Air feels comfortable when you're moving, once you stand still it feels really warm. Reminds me of a summer night.

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'll be making the most of the next 4 days because we are unlikely to see anything like it again for about 7 and a half months. Which is a really depressing thought. For me anyway.

Still reckon it'll be a very brief winter this time round, and likely very mild too. The only significant cold we'll see will be one or two cold snaps around February, followed by some March heat.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Just got back from cycling. Air feels comfortable when you're moving, once you stand still it feels really warm. Reminds me of a summer night.

Still reckon it'll be a very brief winter this time round, and likely very mild too. The only significant cold we'll see will be one or two cold snaps around February, followed by some March heat.

The warm SSTs aren't on our side but all the long term models are showing lots of Northern blocking and low pressure over the UK and central Europe this Winter, strongest signal since 2009-10, so we will have to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

This has to be the best September spell of this century and probably back a lot further than that. Over a week of 30c+ every day out of nowhere is absolutely insane this time of year! Plymouth recorded 29.6c today, which is a new September record! It's not just the intensity but also the length of the heat which looks to be lasting the entire first 12 days of this month.

It's just been absolutely glorious. I could never complain about high 20s and clear blue skies. GFS 12z even keen for another plume later this month. September 2023 bound to be a classic!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

According to the models, Met Office is saying we can see "unseaosnably warm" spells towards the end of September. I instantly think of the last few days of September 2011

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, baddie said:

According to the models, Met Office is saying we can see "unseaosnably warm" spells towards the end of September. I instantly think of the last few days of September 2011

Well that would be good. My birthday is September 24th and my old mom and dad always said it was a beautiful warm sunny day so I suppose it can happen late on. Look forward to it !

Posted
8 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well that would be good. My birthday is September 24th and my old mom and dad always said it was a beautiful warm sunny day so I suppose it can happen late on. Look forward to it !

I dont think September 24th had a good reputation in recent years. My birthday is March 25th, and it was just sunny every day from 2015. Even this March (wet and dull), had a brief sunny day on the 25th

Edited by baddie

Posted
32 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

This has to be the best September spell of this century and probably back a lot further than that. Over a week of 30c+ every day out of nowhere is absolutely insane this time of year! Plymouth recorded 29.6c today, which is a new September record! It's not just the intensity but also the length of the heat which looks to be lasting the entire first 12 days of this month.

It's just been absolutely glorious. I could never complain about high 20s and clear blue skies. GFS 12z even keen for another plume later this month. September 2023 bound to be a classic!

Hope it comes around September 20th. I'm off that week and if the weather is good will get the train down to Worcester for Worcestershire County Cricket Clubs final home game of 2023.  You can't beat a warm day sat in the sun with a few beers! 

• Like 1