Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
3 minutes ago, baddie said:

Met Office is saying we will have rain on Tuesday mnorning, but nowhere near as bad as Friday, then I believe just showers from Thursday

It's very cyclonic though, so I suspect the "showers" will take the form of frequent heavy downpours, and limited sunshine in between - but like Thursday just gone, but not so mild. Also there are several further lows crossing the southern UK after Tuesday, so looks like several bouts of heavy frontal rainfall though at least the fronts don't stall, so not as bad as last week.

Setups like that shown for the remainder of the month never produce anything pleasant, it just looks to me like late October 2000. As I said, hoping the GFS 06z is correct with its dramatic turnaround at the turn of the month.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
20 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

06z completely different though, so hopefully not yet a writeoff for early Nov.

Hope so, though I do like a good proper wind storm, we’ve dodged all the rain the rest of the country seems to have had, I think the south west and certain parts of southeast missed the deluge so far.

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
3 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

The latest gfs is looking stormy for southern areas, it’s been a long while since we had a proper wind storm in the south.

Though hoping for some prolonged dry weather at some point during autumn/winter as I’ve just got an allotment and it is a state, needs a lot of work to get it ready for next spring 

I have been on a walk, and I seen many lakes and rivers flooded, and trees fallen down. Its so depressing, considering that we had such a good month up until the 18th :C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
5 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

The latest gfs is looking stormy for southern areas, it’s been a long while since we had a proper wind storm in the south.

Though hoping for some prolonged dry weather at some point during autumn/winter as I’ve just got an allotment and it is a state, needs a lot of work to get it ready for next spring 

Think @TwisterGirl81that the GFS has been underestimating the temperatures lately and the ECM has been more with what we have in reality.   

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looks like southern and western coastal areas will come alive with heavy showers with hail and thunder Thursday / Friday - as cold air aloft (with origins over N Canada) spreads in from the west and low pressure moves in close to the west, later this week and creates steep lapse rates / CAPE above the relatively warm SSTs. Some may get inland across southern / SW counties of England and Wales . Staying down at the Dorset coast later this week too, so would personally enjoy seeing some flashes, rumbles and downpours.

gfsgif_66-114.thumb.gif.7d9c488ada5b55ebd0c333b383bc7d46.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

snow has arrived on queue ..5-15cm forecast for today 😥:snowman-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

We're in the worst part of the year, weather-wise, for me. That in-between phase after Summer and before Winter where you can't get any more residual summer-like warmth or yet get a proper wintry blast that provides lowland snow that lasts for any period of time. It's also that time of year when the jet stream ramps up and delivers wind and rain. Evidenced by the forecast below. So none of the weather that I'd enjoy and plenty of the type of weather that I really don't like. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Certainly milder than it has been... very settled too, mostly clear skies, dry, sunshine and no breeze. The kind of fresh stillness you want out of autumn.

Lol possibly a deserved difference here, it's cloudy, colder than it has been, and tomorrow's rain knocking on the door. Haven't had any sun today.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Lol possible a deserved difference here, it's cloudy, colder than it has been, and tomorrow's rain knocking on the door. Haven't had any sun today.

Sounds like the unsettled weather front is moving south 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This October is turning out to be a rather varied month with something for everybody. Whether it is a last hurrah of summer you are after, cool crisp sunny days with foggy nights accompanied by a touch of frost or predominently unsettled with temps around average, this October had it.

I so far rate this month as being 8/10. Some more sun would be nice, but it has been varied which as a weather enthusiast interests me.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well the rain is here sort of, it jumped over me and built to my west, but it's still gonna start soon, must be a little further west than thought, if it wasn't meant to hit here just east Anglia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I would give this month a 4/10 so far. It’s certainly been variable but it’s been much too wet and dull. That’s the kind of variation I really don’t want!

October 2018 was variable too, but without the rain & cloudiness. We had sunny days in the 20s followed by crisp sunny days with frost. That month would get an 8/10 from me, almost a perfect October.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 hours ago, Frigid said:

Perhaps a chilly Halloween/Bonfire Night if the 6Z is anything to go by. Now when was the last time we had that..

image.thumb.png.104a687b37ada6c3940e61243115c983.png

For here, 2021, 2020, 2018, 2017 and 2016.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 hours ago, cheese said:

I would give this month a 4/10 so far. It’s certainly been variable but it’s been much too wet and dull. That’s the kind of variation I really don’t want!

October 2018 was variable too, but without the rain & cloudiness. We had sunny days in the 20s followed by crisp sunny days with frost. That month would get an 8/10 from me, almost a perfect October.

I'd say similar as well, maybe a 5/10 for up to today so far. Still another week and a bit to go, but doesn't look great so will likely end up at a 4/10 by the end. Better than the last few Octobers as there was some warmth and a few very pleasant dry days earlier on this time round, regardless if they felt unseasonable.

I don't remember 2018 much if at all, but if there was a repeat I think I would enjoy it quite a lot as it was pretty dry.

October is a transitional month anyway, so I don't expect much in the way of pleasantness from it; any warmth and sunny dry days is a bonus to me.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not too much in the way of zero c nights . Which is absolutely fine by me. Nothing in that respect going forward. I don't mind Atlantic dominated winters. It keeps the freeze away. 

You're living in the right country then!! 🙄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I'd probably give October 5/10 so far. Higher for the first part, lower for more recently. Yes, the recent exceptional rain was interesting, but I have had more than my fill of flooding now. If the end of this week turns out as unpleasant as it might, then it could go down to 3/10 or so. I am already starting to dread what a wet winter might bring. I would take any form of dry winter, even if it was snow-and-frost-free almost entirely, over yet more drenching.

• Like 2

Posted

October 2023 will at least be better than Octobers of 2012-14 and 2019-21. My rating (up until 25th) would be sitting at around a 7/10, but I would drop it to a 5.5 if the end of month is poor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Welcoming scenes this morning, very dark and pouring at 7am - commute here we come 😫😎☔🌧️

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Thanks 1