Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
18 hours ago, carinthian said:

Yep, British Isles worst of the lot. At least , Sweden does generally ok in the summer months and most guaranteed some winter snow apart from you know who.

C

Latvia often gets better summers, even though they still have a fair share of dull periods in their summer. 

And, they do get more cold frosty weather in winter, so it’s always a plus.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

The most depressing thing about all this, is that there's no reprieve for quite some time. We're going to lose another 7-10 of the longest - and potentially warmest/sunniest days - of the year to endlessly grey, cool and wet dross before any significant shift to something more pleasant. The forecast for next week is, somehow, even worse than this week's, and models aren't showing any signs of change until around 9/10th of August at the earliest...and tbh, how much stock to we place in that? Given that time after time this year since April, predicted/forecasted warm and sunny spells have been pulled from beneath our feet and downgraded at the last moment 

It's like being in pain, and going to the Doctor's, for them to tell you "Well, it'll heal, but you're going to get worse before you get better". 

By this point, I'll believe it when I see it. If anything, my hunch is that we'll see more settled and sunnier weather in September than August (and obviously this July).

Conclusion - a serious, serious test of mental endurance and sanity (as well as physical wellbeing for me personally) for anyone other than the most avid of sun/warmth haters. Who, evidently, seem to have a mutation that enables them to thrive on a miniscule amount of Vitamin D 😆

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
3 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The most depressing thing about all this, is that there's no reprieve for quite some time. We're going to lose another 7-10 of the longest - and potentially warmest/sunniest days - of the year to endlessly grey, cool and wet dross before any significant shift to something more pleasant.

It's like being in pain, and going to the Doctor's, for them to tell you "Well, it'll heal, but you're going to get worse before you get better". 

A serious, serious test of mental endurance and sanity (as well as physical wellbeing for me personally) for anyone other than the most avid of sun/warmth haters. So, like 99.7% of the population.

The way I look at it is that the period during which warm to hot weather can occur has been extended by climate change. September is almost an extension of summer these days. 

The forecasted improvement seems to have grown closer to us so it seems we'll only be waiting another ten or so days for warmer and drier weather. It's not great considering we've lost the entirety of high summer, but I feel like we've at least run the course of the "overdue cooler summer" everyone was saying we should have. This is as bad as it gets in the modern climate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
40 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

The way I look at it is that the period during which warm to hot weather can occur has been extended by climate change. September is almost an extension of summer these days. 

The forecasted improvement seems to have grown closer to us so it seems we'll only be waiting another ten or so days for warmer and drier weather. It's not great considering we've lost the entirety of high summer, but I feel like we've at least run the course of the "overdue cooler summer" everyone was saying we should have. This is as bad as it gets in the modern climate.

Yeah, you're not wrong, and 20c+ in September is nice.

But mid 20s and sunny just hits different in July than it does in September, because things are less green/lush by then and there's less usability of the warmth/sun because of the shorter days. 

IMO, a warm September just doesn't make-up for a lost July.

In all honestly anyway, I haven't been that bothered about the temps this July. They've not been great but it's still warm enough when the sun is out - key word there being when, because it's been really infrequently, and often only for short periods. The cloudiness has been the real issue with this month's weather pattern IMO.

Posted
14 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yeah, you're not wrong, and 20c+ in September is nice.

But mid 20s and sunny just hits different in July than it does in September, because things are less green/lush by then and there's less usability of the warmth/sun because of the shorter days. 

IMO, a warm September just doesn't make-up for a lost July.

In all honestly anyway, I haven't been that bothered about the temps this July. They've not been great but it's still warm enough when the sun is out - key word there being when, because it's been really infrequently, and often only for short periods. The cloudiness has been the real issue with this month's weather pattern IMO.

I think Spring 1979/Summer 1979 was cool and unpleasant followed by a fine Autumn ( and warm September). May be some hope yet! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I think Spring 1979/Summer 1979 was cool and unpleasant followed by a fine Autumn ( and warm September). May be some hope yet! 

And the sheet spring of 1974 was followed by a sheet summer that was followed by a sheet autumn and a sheet winter? A classic year all round? 😁

Posted
4 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

And the sheet spring of 1974 was followed by a sheet summer that was followed by a sheet autumn and a sheet winter? A classic year all round? 😁

Well yes.... but summer 1975 was good !!

• Like 2

Posted

The cloud has just broken a tiny bit in London, specks of blue up there. But little solace really. Was just outside for 5/10 mins grabbing a coffee and it does feel decidedly brisk. Not cold by any means, just, not summery in any way shape or form.

Feels like one of those pleasant early to mid April days where the first of the sun's warmth starts to arrive but its still quite crisp.

A couple of American tourists walked past me...in woolly hats. haha!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The cloud has just broken a tiny bit in London, specks of blue up there. But little solace really. Was just outside for 5/10 mins grabbing a coffee and it does feel decidedly brisk. Not cold by any means, just, not summery in any way shape or form.

Feels like one of those pleasant early to mid April days where the first of the sun's warmth starts to arrive but its still quite crisp.

It’s 17°C in my part of London which is crap for the end of July. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was sunny, of course, but I think we’re going to have to wait another good week for that. They joys of the British climate! Mind you, the evil Atlantic Empire is affecting much of Europe now

Posted
32 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Woolly hats. UK. Peak of summer......

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s 17°C in my part of London which is crap for the end of July. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was sunny, of course, but I think we’re going to have to wait another good week for that. They joys of the British climate! Mind you, the evil Atlantic Empire is affecting much of Europe now

Bear in mind the average high/max for London at late July is 24c (probably closer to 25c since 2000), so, 17c is a solid 7/8c below average...so, it's the equivalent of it being 32c right now (which, no doubt would result in bemoans of "eXtReMe hEaT". Yet, there are still some trying to claim that this weather (and this month overall has been fine/normal/average)...

Indeed, these conditions are equally as far from the average / deviant as 32/33c would be...just of the less summery/hot kind.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Wonder if they're those kind of Americans who live somewhere like Maine or Washington and pretend that their climate is a million miles away from us and we're some kind of sub-Arctic.

Posted
1 minute ago, razorgrain said:

Wonder if they're those kind of Americans who live somewhere like Maine or Washington and pretend that their climate is a million miles away from us and we're some kind of sub-Arctic.

No clue haha!

Pretty much all of the US has much warmed summers than any of the sort of the weather we're having atm, so, indeed it'll be very cold to them.

Even the likes of Washington (and Maine too, tbh) generally get far sunnier summers than the UK. This is the forecast for Seattle (Washington) for the foreseeable. What I'd give to have anything even close to that here. The irony of course, is that Americans bemoan Seattle for how dull and miserable the climate there is...oh my sweet summer child....what do they know about dull and miserable climates.

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

I said a few posts back that for about 90% of the world population hot summers are normal. Northern Europe really is the exception. Even Canada, Maine, Seattle, which are meme'd for being cold and gloomy climates with endless winters (or rain in Seattle's case) get 10 times better summers than the UK or Scandinavia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
2 hours ago, razorgrain said:

September is underrated for heat! September is astronomical Summer still until around the 22nd/23rd and we've always had some hot spells in September. These spring to mind-

September 1895- 23rd- 28c, 24th- 30c, 25th- 30c, 26th- 29c, 27th- 30c, 28th- 29c (Phenomenal end to September in terms of heat and past the Autumn equinox!)

September 1898- They got 33c on the 7th and 32c on the 9th- not sure what they got on the 8th

September 1906- 1st- 35c, 2nd- 35c, 3rd- 34c (Not often you see these kind of temps in September but this year showed it's possible!)

September 1911- 6th- 32c, 7th- 33c, 8th- 34c 12th- 30c (I'm sure there were a few more hot temps in this month but I'm not sure where to find the info. Would love to know!)

September 1926- 18th- 29c. 19th- 32c, 20th- 29c (Impressive spell for near the Autumn equinox)

Some more recent examples- 34c on 13th in 2016 and of course the 3 day blast at the end of 2011- 28th- 29c, 29th- 28c, 30th- 29c

I'm sure there are loads more examples if I can find a site that lists them all 🙂

So yeah, always been possible to get hot weather in September and I've always classed it as a mainly Summer month until the equinox.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

I said a few posts back that for about 90% of the world population hot summers are normal. Northern Europe really is the exception. Even Canada, Maine, Seattle, which are meme'd for being cold and gloomy climates with endless winters (or rain in Seattle's case) get 10 times better summers than the UK or Scandinavia.

Oh 100%. Big misconception about North America - cold =/= gloomy, oftentimes quite the opposite. It's so cold in Canada and alot of North America in the winter that its just rarely overcast, but instead, is clear frosty skies. 

I have a few friends from Canada who I met at university and they experienced their first European winter when they studied abroad here, and they said nothing really had prepared them for it. The sheer darkness and gloom of it. Bear in mind these are people who are used to opening their front door to 3 feet of snow when they leave to work and then having to spend 30mins shovelling snow out from around their car so they can drive to work.

But they said to me that here, it's a sort of wet cold that gets into your bones in a way that's different and more depressing to temps that, on paper, are way colder in North America. My friend from Alberta always says that -20 and sunny in the Canadian Rockies (near where she lives) is more pleasant than 5c and cloudy/drizzly in North Europe. I quote her - "December in England just made me wanna curl up inside and do nothing"

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

Should say *for now. Lots of evidence suggesting the southern half of the UK at least is heading for something substantially warmer and drier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
17 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Oh 100%. Big misconception about North America - cold =/= gloomy, oftentimes quite the opposite. It's so cold in Canada and alot of North America in the winter that its just rarely overcast, but instead, is clear frosty skies. 

I have a few friends from Canada who I met at university and they experienced their first European winter when they studied abroad here, and they said nothing really had prepared them for it. The sheer darkness and gloom of it. Bear in mind these are people who are used to opening their front door to 3 feet of snow when they leave to work and then having to spend 30mins shovelling snow out from around their car so they can drive to work.

But they said to me that here, it's a sort of wet cold that gets into your bones in a way that's different and more depressing to temps that, on paper, are way colder in North America. My friend from Alberta always says that -20 and sunny in the Canadian Rockies (near where she lives) is more pleasant than 5c and cloudy/drizzly in North Europe. I quote her - "December in England just made me wanna curl up inside and do nothing"

Here in Estonia we do get snow, but our winters are also gloomy and extremely dark (on December 20th the sun sets at 15:20....). Clear -20 days are becoming rare due to climate change, a lot of the time it is around -5 to +5C, cloudy and windy. Freezing rain and wet snow slush is also common. These days I do appreciate clear and frosty days, it's less depressing.

11 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Should say *for now. Lots of evidence suggesting the southern half of the UK at least is heading for something substantially warmer and drier.

Yeah, I have heard that. Also that N Europe is warming faster than the world average and that Scandinavia is also getting hotter and drier...not denying it, but it still doesn't change the fact that N Europe still gets many dud summers. For example in the last 10 years: 2015, 2017, 2020, 2021 (for UK, this one was quite hot in Scandinavia and Estonia), 2023. 2016 and 2019 were better but not amazing either. 2013, 2014 (mostly July), 2018, 2022 were good summers. So around every 4 years we get a good summer and the rest are mostly just okay and some pretty bad. Would love see that number reversed, 3 good summers in a row and then maybe one dud in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yes, the British winter specialty of damp cold is vile and not particularly healthy. I prefer the drier cold of continental climates, where perversely it doesn’t feel that cold usually 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, the British winter specialty of damp cold is vile and not particularly healthy. I prefer the drier cold of continental climates, where perversely it doesn’t feel that cold usually 

Yeah, I quite enjoyed that bitterly cold sunny frosty period in December last year. 

The office girls moaned about it, and rejoiced when it was dull and mild by the time Christmas arrived. They couldn’t understand why I wanted the cold dry sunny weather back, and I tried to explain to them, the cold frosty weather is common in Toronto(where I lived for almost 2 years), Latvia for certain periods, in between their grey days, and most of continental Europe.

The U.K. damp cold of 8-12c feels worse than 5c and below with clear cold frosty skies.

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I quite enjoyed that bitterly cold sunny frosty period in December last year. 

The office girls moaned about it, and rejoiced when it was dull and mild by the time Christmas arrived. They couldn’t understand why I wanted the cold dry sunny weather back, and I tried to explain to them, the cold frosty weather is common in Toronto(where I lived for almost 2 years), Latvia for certain periods, in between their grey days, and most of continental Europe.

The U.K. damp cold of 8-12c feels worse than 5c and below with clear cold frosty skies.

Disagree. I hate cold and if we get 3 months of mild wet and windy  Dec to Feb I will be happy . More than make up for this horrid summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Disagree. I hate cold and if we get 3 months of mild wet and windy  Dec to Feb I will be happy . More than make up for this horrid summer. 

Mild wet and grey with 13-15c versus 10c and below with sunny dry periods and the odd cloudy day? I know which one I would rather.

I prefer winter to be cold, and I like summers to be hot.

Also mild wet and windy will still require most people to use the heating. The damp mild conditions often make it feel chilly during the winter months. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Mild wet and grey with 13-15c versus 10c and below with sunny dry periods and the odd cloudy day? I know which one I would rather.

I just can't stand cold. Those minus 4 mornings. Just can't do with it. I would rather bottle up the sunshine and pour it out in May when it is actually worthwhile and produces some warmth. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Also mild wet and windy will still require most people to use the heating. The damp mild conditions often make it feel chilly during the winter months. 

Dunno. It's alright when it's 9c overnight in January. I like that .