Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I wonder if Spanish people sit down in the afternoon and watch a programme called "A Place In The Pi**ing Rain"? 

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Never in my worst nightmares did I think for one second that July 2023 would turn out this way! Looking same again for the 1st part of August too! Longest period of dull weather I have personally experienced and hopefully it will never be repeated in my lifetime lol.

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Never in my worst nightmares did I think for one second that July 2023 would turn out this way! Looking same again for the 1st part of August too! Longest period of dull weather I have personally experienced and hopefully it will never be repeated in my lifetime lol.

Is that a Trachycarpus Fortunei in your profile picture? I have a couple of them in the garden. Tropical 😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
32 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

I wonder if Spanish people sit down in the afternoon and watch a programme called "A Place In The Pi**ing Rain"? 

Haha, they're probably too busy outside enjoying the nice weather as opposed to cooped-up indoors watching TV...

But speaking of.... 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/the-drizzle-tourists-who-travel-to-the-uk-for-its-cool-climate/ar-AA1eq3m5?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=f80b71ce49064de3b98a943ff07cc75c&ei=7

What madness!

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Is that a Trachycarpus Fortunei in your profile picture? I have a couple of them in the garden. Tropical 😅

That picture was actually from when I went Malaga for a few days back in March! Funnily enough though, I do have a Cordyline Australis tree in my garden which is very similar!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, SunSean said:

That picture was actually from when I went Malaga for a few days back in March! Funnily enough though, I do have a Cordyline Australis tree in my garden which is very similar!

Tried growing a Trackiebottoms Fortunei in my garden but it just couldn't withstand our winters sadly. Got a few cordylines going strong though... the red one went a bit ropey last winter but the green ones are flourishing. Got two banana plants too which took off in June but are not looking too happy after July's weather!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
25 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Haha, they're probably too busy outside enjoying the nice weather as opposed to cooped-up indoors watching TV...

But speaking of.... 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/the-drizzle-tourists-who-travel-to-the-uk-for-its-cool-climate/ar-AA1eq3m5?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=f80b71ce49064de3b98a943ff07cc75c&ei=7

What madness!

😂 Bunch of masochists if you ask me!! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 26/07/2023 at 15:13, weirpig said:

I live opposite the hansom cab pub  just off ken high street    nice enough   although as you say very snooty in areas.  I spend most of my time in Earls Court  not quite so posh  and actually quite a community vibe    Next few years may think of buying a boat to live on  maybe in chelsea harbour   or move back to Dudley.  Then again 🤣

High street Ken I actually don’t mind, as it’s a bit away from the main Chelsea toffs. Plus further west near Olympia is more working class and less posh. 

I personally like the area around Kensington gardens near the park.

Posted

Crystal clear skies tonight 😂 would have been nice to have that during the day! Pleasant outdoor temp tonight though, sitting in the garden in shorts and a tee after work lol.

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Crystal clear skies tonight 😂 would have been nice to have that during the day! Pleasant outdoor temp tonight though, sitting in the garden in shorts and a tee after work lol.

Lucky you. None of that here

Posted
26 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Lucky you. None of that here

I meant clear skies at night time- The day was unfortunately cloudy from sunrise to sunset. Hate it when it does that, much rather have a clear sky during the day.

11 hours ago, SunSean said:

oh it will trust me this is the uk your talking about

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Another morning, same old dross.

Onwards (and downwards) we go.

Could contain:

8 hours ago, chris888 said:

oh it will trust me this is the uk your talking about

This is what makes me laugh about the posters who seem to think that just because we had that one 40c day last year, suddenly there gonna become regularly. 

Years like this are just as, if not moreso, likely IMO. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Another morning, same old dross.

Onwards (and downwards) we go.

Could contain:

This is what makes me laugh about the posters who seem to think that just because we had that one 40c day last year, suddenly there gonna become regularly. 

Years like this are just as, if not moreso, likely IMO. 

Week ahead looks grim. One vile Atlantic low after another. 40°C was a totally exceptional situation, it’s honestly best to scroll past some of the more melodramatic claptrap that gets spouted on this forum. Apparently we cannot get a ‘normal heatwave’ anymore 😂 Same crap in winter, “southern England will never see snow again”, blah blah blah zzzz

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Week ahead looks grim. One vile Atlantic low after another. 40°C was a totally exceptional situation, it’s honestly best to scroll past some of the more melodramatic claptrap that gets spouted on this forum. Apparently we cannot get a ‘normal heatwave’ anymore 😂 Same crap in winter, “southern England will never see snow again”, blah blah blah zzzz

It's alot of nonsense tbh, im not gonna lie, and for all the 'the stats/data are more important than your perception!', the simple reality is that this has been an absolutely dire month for warmth and sun. I dgaf about what the CET shows.

Someone earlier posted on the main Summer thread that 'actually', this summer and last summer are more or less equal because the CET averages are coming out at a similar temp. Couldn't make it up. 😂  I have experience of people who try to use data to prove any point they believe in, and its always the same - cherry picking what backs up their own preferences/belief, and then dismissing everything else. To claim that this summer and last summer are even anything close to being comparable, just because the CET averages are only like 1 degree apart, is a joke. What about wind chill, sunshine hours, rainfall, cloud cover, and nighttime temps? All ignored. Or just go outside abc, I have an entire roster of photos on my phone from last July where the sky is blue...this year...none such photos. This exact weekend last year I went down to Lulworth in Dorset and camped with my friend, it was 27c, sea was wonderfully mild temps. But of course, there's no data or stats so I must have just imagined it as its just my 'perception'. 

This month hasn't even recorded a single 30c... Say no more IMO. 

And as for heatwaves, they're nothing new, and the vast majority of us are not talking about big heat plumes anyway. I'm not fussed about them. I just want some consistent summery weather of 20-26/27c and the sun to be OUT for more than a couple of hours in the evening. I want sunny mornings with birds chirping and sun on my face as I walk to the train station. But of course, we don't want that...if we moan about these conditions it must mean we want 35-40c for weeks on end... lol

Anyway bit of a rant but thats my two pennies.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's alot of nonsense tbh, im not gonna lie, and for all the 'the stats/data are more important than your perception!', the simple reality is that this has been an absolutely dire month for warmth and sun. I dgaf about what the CET shows.

Someone earlier posted on the main Summer thread that 'actually', this summer and last summer are more or less equal because the CET averages are coming out at a similar temp. Couldn't make it up. 😂  I have experience of people who try to use data to prove any point they believe in, and its always the same - cherry picking what backs up their own preferences/belief, and then dismissing everything else. To claim that this summer and last summer are even anything close to being comparable, just because the CET averages are only like 1 degree apart, is a joke. What about wind chill, sunshine hours, rainfall, cloud cover, and nighttime temps? All ignored. Or just go outside abc, I have an entire roster of photos on my phone from last July where the sky is blue...this year...none such photos. This exact weekend last year I went down to Lulworth in Dorset and camped with my friend, it was 27c, sea was wonderfully mild temps. But of course, there's no data or stats so I must have just imagined it as its just my 'perception'. 

And as for heatwaves, they're nothing new, and the vast majority of us are not talking about big heat plumes anyway. I'm not fussed about them. I just want some consistent summery weather of 20-26/27c and the sun to be OUT for more than a couple of hours in the evening. I want sunny mornings with birds chirping and sun on my face as I walk to the train station. But of course, we don't want that...if we moan about these conditions it must mean we want 35-40c for weeks on end... lol

Spot on, I hate the guilt tripping from some for just wanting some warm clear days in the height of summer. The same people that beg for months of freezing weather in winter which can be just as deadly as a heatwave… 

Anyway this month has been completely dire, a real dog egg of a summer month. I don’t care if “statistically it hasn’t been bad compared to the 1960s”, I really couldn’t give a toss!

Edited by Summer18
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
17 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Rant away 😂 Plenty to moan about if you like warm sunshine, unfortunately. The outlook is even worse, days of 18°C maximum temperatures next week in the London area. Hideous. And this foulness affecting Czechia, too!

• Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, Summer18 said:

Spot on, I hate the guilt tripping from some for just wanting some warm clear days in the height of summer. The same people that beg for months of freezing weather in winter which can be just as deadly as a heatwave… 

Anyway this month has been completely dire, a real dog egg of a summer month. I don’t care if “statistically it hasn’t been bad compared to the 1960s”, I really couldn’t give a toss!

Yes, it’s been said many times over the years, cold kills many more than heat in the UK. But the forum is rather cold dominated, unfortunately 🤷‍♂️ 
I just compare the time I have the heating on (around 6 months) to the time I’d use air conditioning (maybe a week?), says it all really 

• Like 1

Posted

What a year so far.

January- about average 

February- actually pretty pleasant with good amounts of sun

March- worst of my lifetime 

April- not memorable, below par

May- horrific 1st half, decent 2nd half

June- excellent 

July- worst of my lifetime

2 months this year have been the worst of my lifetime. One of the worst years in ages and makes 2021 look sunny in comparison!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Feels odd to become accustomed to waking up with the expectation of no birds singing, no light coming in through the windows, and the outside world being a sheet of white/grey.

But that's basically where I'm at now. It feels odd because that's the sort of mindset I usually have in Oct/Nov, not July.

It's simply been so long now where these conditions are more or less unchanged, I can barely even mentally imagine a big shift towards anything else. I'm becoming institutionalised by the dross.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
On 27/07/2023 at 13:25, MP-R said:

Tried growing a Trackiebottoms Fortunei in my garden but it just couldn't withstand our winters sadly. Got a few cordylines going strong though... the red one went a bit ropey last winter but the green ones are flourishing. Got two banana plants too which took off in June but are not looking too happy after July's weather!

They can withstand temps below -20c and grow all over the SE (but I think Canary Island date palms look nicer).

Killing one of those takes some effort!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, B87 said:

They can withstand temps below -20c and grow all over the SE (but I think Canary Island date palms look nicer).

Killing one of those takes some effort!

Fully grown ones yes, but smaller ones have a much lower threshold. I've still got it, but it's a bit worse for wear.

I love the Canary Island date palms. Only seen one or two successfully grow here. Devon and Cornwall however have loads of them.

Posted
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Feels odd to become accustomed to waking up with the expectation of no birds singing, no light coming in through the windows, and the outside world being a sheet of white/grey.

But that's basically where I'm at now. It feels odd because that's the sort of mindset I usually have in Oct/Nov, not July.

It's simply been so long now where these conditions are more or less unchanged, I can barely even mentally imagine a big shift towards anything else. I'm becoming institutionalised by the dross.

Yes!! It's just expected!

• Like 1

Posted

Well, a brief respite from the cloudy dross this afternoon here in London/Essex. Sunny spells from about 1-3.30pm but now clouded over thick and fast and back to business as usual. As expected.

For all the posters who use specific moments in the day to denote why/how the summer conditions aren't bad... This is a prime example of why the bigger picture is important. 

A day reaching 23c and sunny for 1/2 hours max, but then the rest being rainy and/or thick overcast, isn't a good summer day. Lol.

• Thanks 1