Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The lack of proper sunny days has been a real issue for me. Less sunshine gives it a less summery feel.

I’m also old enough to remember good summers from my childhood, which would make Summer 2023 poor in comparison. 1983, 84, 89 and 90 are perfect examples of that.

Well, summer is not over yet, we've only had two thirds of it. But in a general sense, I think that we agree. Your preference appears to be for sunshine...my interest is temperatures. Sunny and not too hot, or ideally, a freezing cold sunny day in winter...great. Sunny and above 30c for any extended period...doesn't feel 'English' to me. My wife has commented, accurately I think, that my idea of an English summer is around 20-25 degrees, and sunny. I'd agree!

Posted

Blimey just realised this is a poor summer thread. Thought it was a great summer thread! I take it all back! But i can name some stinkers 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1985 1987 1988 1992 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2019 2020 2021 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I guess my impression is a little flawed. My earliest memory of a great summer is 2003, still a child so felt much longer. Then we had that run of terrible summers around the late 2000s and poor to average summers in the early 2010s. But most of the 2010s have had noteworthy heatwaves. Even the years without long periods of heat have had a very warm feel to them. People claim that 2021 was terrible but in this part of the country is was warm and I think we had a heatwave too? Only got to around 30°c though I think.

Posted

Rather annoyingly, St.John's in Newfoundland will be in the high 20s all next week. Seems ironic considering how often people compare their climate to the UK as a demonstration of how warm the UK supposedly is for its latitude.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

So many haters clubs on here. 😂

But yeah, this current weather pattern is awful. Nothing like high summer at all. Hopefully August will be better.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 hours ago, razorgrain said:

Rather annoyingly, St.John's in Newfoundland will be in the high 20s all next week. Seems ironic considering how often people compare their climate to the UK as a demonstration of how warm the UK supposedly is for its latitude.

It’s only warm for its latitude in the winter really. There are plenty of places at our latitude and even further north with warmer summers. Stockholm in Sweden is at 59N but has average summer temperatures on par with the Cambridge (52N). Compare average highs in June/July/August:

Stockholm - 20.8C / 23.6C / 22.1C

Cambridge - 20.8C / 23.2C / 22.9C

Stockholm cools down a lot quicker in September though, as you’d expect in a continental climate. Stockholm’s average September high is 16.6C vs 19.9C for Cambridge. By October, the average high in Stockholm is 10.3C vs 15.3C for Cambridge - that’s when the UK really begins to have a warmth advantage for its latitude.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.
11 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

June poor for some too, here had a lot of north sea filth, 2 or 3 days never lifted at all,

summer on average probably been better for NW, amazingly sunny June

June wasn't even anything special here. It was poor until the 9th of June. Then a period of sunny low 20s weather until June 16th, after that it was a mixed week with some nice days but a very wet Tuesday 20th June. The following week wasn't that great with cool temperatures and rain some days, with a few sunnier days mixed in. Overall up to now I'd consider this summer to be poor, especially after last summer .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

To be honest this summer was to be expected coming off the back of a dwindling la nina.

Location seems key as well lots of easterlies earlier in the year not good for Eastern areas sunshine and warmth wise.

Meanwhile a lot of the convective activity of June and July has taken place has taken place over the central and northern highly populated areas.

Meanwhile down here in my coastal south Dorset location. The weather has been consistently better than forecast barring the last two washout weekends. So dry in fact that the last two wet winds have been a welcome watering of what was becoming increasingly dry ground.

Edited by Chesil View

Posted

Admins, seeing as you locked the summer appreciation thread, it seems unreasonable to leave this thread open, giving preference to people who wish to complain rather than those who aren't perennial moaners. We already have a chat thread for summer. 

Just saying. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, richie3846 said:

Admins, seeing as you locked the summer appreciation thread, it seems unreasonable to leave this thread open, giving preference to people who wish to complain rather than those who aren't perennial moaners. We already have a chat thread for summer. 

Just saying. 

I am begninning to lose track of all these hater club threads. 🤣

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

This month has the trifecta of below average high temps, above average rainfall and below average sunshine. Wouldn't be surprised to see September warmer than July at this point

• Like 1

The weather has been complete garbage here for the best part of a year now, barring a week or so in June. Sick to death of hearing how great May and June was this year, it bloody well wasn't where I live. Really really tired now of miserable grey skies and f@#£ing rain. Another year of this and I am seriously considering moving the family abroad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

This month has the trifecta of below average high temps, above average rainfall and below average sunshine. Wouldn't be surprised to see September warmer than July at this point

July is running at 1.7 degrees cooler than June here at the moment... max and min temps both below June's, and both below average. It's a poor poor July but will be an interesting statistical quirk, probably not to be repeated for many years!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, midlandsun said:

The weather has been complete garbage here for the best part of a year now, barring a week or so in June. Sick to death of hearing how great May and June was this year, it bloody well wasn't where I live. Really really tired now of miserable grey skies and f@#£ing rain. Another year of this and I am seriously considering moving the family abroad.

where is that, the Midlands is a very large area?

Can you put your nearest town in please?

thank you.

Late May into June was pretty good for my area. July has been a touch wet, like 98 mm of rain so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Well, after a slight reprieve yesterday, we are back to business as usual.

Dull, chilly, and an endless pale grey above. Woeful tbh. 16c at 1pm in London in mid-late July. We have December days better than this, and Saturday too. No exaggeration.

We are at a solid 7/8c below average maxes for this time of year. The flipside above average would be 32/33c. 

Getting a summer such as this is a stark reminder of how - as much as I love the landscapes - I would never be able to live in somewhere like Faroe Islands, Western Norway, Northern Scotland etc, because this is their standard weather from May to Sept. Book-ended by basically the same weather but much colder and windier between Oct to April lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
On 22/07/2023 at 20:54, 38.7°C said:

A maritime westerly summer isn't so bad after the recent heat spikes of 35 plus each year since 2018. I find it very refreshing and cool as last year did too much to bear and was very oppressive in August ..... but lets use this summer as a stern reminder that this is our climate by default when expecting 10 day heatwaves and heat spikes to verify. 

What would you classify as a "heatwave"? And moreover, how many people realistically are expecting 10 day heatwaves lol.

Wanting a few sunny days above 20c which don't get plagued by thick cloudy clag isn't unrealistic lol. It's literally just average weather for this time of year. We don't live in the Faroe Islands.

I understand weather preferences and all but there's nothing pleasant about this weather. Any benefits of these sort of conditions in July from a perspective of comfort (e.g. easier to sleep, cooler indoors, etc) is likewise the same for our standard summer days of 19-22/23c and a few fluffy clouds. 

The two options aren't this (perpetual October) on the one hand, or the scorcher that was last year on the other. There's a happy middle ground to be had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

What would you classify as a "heatwave"? And moreover, how many people realistically are expecting 10 day heatwaves lol.

Wanting a few sunny days above 20c which don't get plagued by thick cloudy clag isn't unrealistic lol. It's literally just average weather for this time of year. We don't live in the Faroe Islands.

I understand weather preferences and all but there's nothing pleasant about this weather. Any benefits of these sort of conditions in July from a perspective of comfort (e.g. easier to sleep, cooler indoors, etc) is likewise the same for our standard summer days of 19-22/23c and a few fluffy clouds. 

The two options aren't this (perpetual October) on the one hand, or the scorcher that was last year on the other. There's a happy middle ground to be had. 

What's wrong with a 2 week spell of 23-27c, with most days sunny or partly cloudy. That isn't a heatwave, infact at this time of year it's pretty much average.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, B87 said:

What's wrong with a 2 week spell of 23-27c, with most days sunny or partly cloudy. That isn't a heatwave, infact at this time of year it's pretty much average.

Yes, completely agree, specifically for our part of the country too. My personal ideal 'sweet spot' conditions for July would be 22/23c to 26/27c and sunny skies, a few fluffy clouds being no issue, and perhaps a light summer breeze at most. 

Nationally-speaking, lower 20s is more the mean/average (hence my comment about 20-22c), but regardless, over all areas of England mid to high 20s in July is still regular and quite expected at some point in the month. 

It is interesting to note however that many people do seem to think that any spell of sustained warmth and sun in the mid 20s in England is 'unrealistic', 'unexpected', or in some case, 'extreme'. 

Indeed, even 30c+ in London in July is not what I'd call extreme. It's simply a hot summer day. About as far above average maxes, as we currently are below average maxes, bear in mind.

My consideration of 'unusually hot' or 'extreme' summer heat for London is anything over 34/35c. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

where is that, the Midlands is a very large area?

Can you put your nearest town in please?

thank you.

Late May into June was pretty good for my area. July has been a touch wet, like 98 mm of rain so far!

Market Harborough, Leics/Northants border

• Like 1

Posted

1.30pm on a mid July day, it's cloudy, but reasonably bright and the temperature has just clicked from 15c to 16c, and there's a cold breeze blowing.

It's summer in the UK,it rains and can be unsettled, I lnow, I get it, but I'm sick of  being so bluddy cold all the time!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

A few dry weeks around 20 degrees would do me fine. Not much to ask for even in our depressing good for f**** all climate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

July is running at 1.7 degrees cooler than June here at the moment... max and min temps both below June's, and both below average. It's a poor poor July but will be an interesting statistical quirk, probably not to be repeated for many years!

interesting that it is still above the old 1961-90 average ..so probably would have been a pretty a typical average summer month back then 

Posted

It's almost that time of year when people start playing Christmas music and movies as a joke. The weather really starting to get to me because I'm already getting irrational about it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

interesting that it is still above the old 1961-90 average ..so probably would have been a pretty a typical average summer month back then 

Just shows how poor those summers were.

I meant more the warmer June than July though.