Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Genuinely vile day. Look at the colour of it abc. Just grim. Dull.

This is just the beginning too...forecast for the upcoming few days, well, beggars belief tbh.

Could contain:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
2 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

This is just the beginning too...forecast for the upcoming few days, well, beggars belief tbh.

Could contain:

Yep, think this thread will be very busy over the next week or so! Lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Could contain:

I just detest this utterly pointless crud. If it was raining then at least it’d be doing something useful. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

I just detest this utterly pointless crud. If it was raining then at least it’d be doing something useful. 

That's what I keep saying! Totally pointless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Well, another atrocious day.

Funny how when dross is forecasted, they're always 100% accurate. But when warm/sunny weather is forecasted it always gets downgraded or ends up being more cloudy than predicted...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Well, another atrocious day.

Funny how when dross is forecasted, they're always 100% accurate. But when warm/sunny weather is forecasted it always gets downgraded or ends up being more cloudy than predicted...

It’s hideous. Cold, wet, grey. People posting in the summer thread that’s it’s been a lovely week. Has it? Seems to have been just infill everyday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

June poor for some too, here had a lot of north sea filth, 2 or 3 days never lifted at all,

summer on average probably been better for NW, amazingly sunny June

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I've honestly resorted to dropping hints to a mate in Florida that I'd love to just fly out and spend the rest of the year over there! Too bad about logistics and money...

I guess it doesn't help when you're desperate for any sign of change and follow the commentary of more experienced people, and they just destroy your optimism. I'm really riding on the teleconnection signal posts just for hope of something better but this weather has gone on for two weeks longer than it should have and the only updates I see now are talking about how bad the first half of August will be. Honestly makes you want to cry.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

June poor for some too, here had a lot of north sea filth, 2 or 3 days never lifted at all,

summer on average probably been better for NW, amazingly sunny June

Middle of May through to middle of June was brilliant here with mainly sunny days and hardly a drop of rain throughout but since then it’s hardly stopped.

Yes we’re up in the hills but I’ve not recorded a temperature this month of above 21c and we’ve had a few days that have maxed out at no more than 13c.

I’m old enough to remember some poor July’s but this one is up there with the worst and will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

just hope August balances things out again.

• Like 4

Posted

Thing that does my head in is the lack of anything warm during March to May. I love warm weather and this is a time you look out for. The fact we got NOTHING was a big disappointment.  The fact a third of June was rubbish. And the whole of July a let down. Just combined a huge let down.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The only decent spells of weather so far this year in London were late January to late February, 2 days at the end of April, and then the last week of May through to the first week of July. 

Hopefully August will return something more seasonal than this rubbish.

Posted

This is what happens the year after a good summer typically. You rarely get 2 decent summers in a row. After last year the omens for this year were never going to be particularly good. The dry June was really a false signal that we were going to get another dry and sunny repeat.

Although if you live in eastern parts of England like me only the last 3rd of June was decent in any way with lots of sunshine. The first 2/3rds was dominated by chilly easterlies and on many occasions North Sea low cloud and filth.

Although June 2023 goes down as a top 5 month on the mean CET it masks the true story of how west was warmer, sunnier and the best half of the UK and the east was cooler and cloudier.

So far for me summer 2023 has been a bit meh. Had more thunderstorms this year than the last few but that has been the only main highlight so far and this July has to be up there with the worst of them, although not as chilly as some of the others and warmer than 1993 for definite.

Posted

Hot spell (or very warm spell) aside, it’s been awful. No storms. Nothing of interest. It would be the year I don’t go on holiday.

Im going to both Spain and the south of France next summer so we will almost certainly have a good one. Pity it’s so far away and we have 11 months of garbage to get through first

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

A maritime westerly summer isn't so bad after the recent heat spikes of 35 plus each year since 2018. I find it very refreshing and cool as last year did too much to bear and was very oppressive in August ..... but lets use this summer as a stern reminder that this is our climate by default when expecting 10 day heatwaves and heat spikes to verify. 

Edited by 38.7°C
  • Like 1

Posted

It does make you wonder though... if we can get so persistently stuck under a pattern of constant lows and a southerly jet stream, surely the opposite is plausible too? Imagine if we'd have been stuck in the same heat dome that's over southern Europe right now, weeks of high 30s. I guess some would consider that a summer from hell! At this point it wouldn't surprise me if it happens next year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

I probably don't belong here, because I found 2022 to be an oppressively hot summer and something to hide from, not 'enjoy'. But on the principle of not 'shaming' people for their preferences...my own view is that this is more of 'normal' English summer, and people (especially youngsters) have been 'spoiled' by expecting early, regular, and continuous heat. So what is a 'poor' summer...? Sunshine levels? Temperature? Comparisons? It depends. My own view is that this has been a 'good to normal' summer so far, certainly when I was young this year would have been considered exceptional for June, and relatively normal/ slightly disappointing sunshine levels (but good warmth) for July...each to their own.

2 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

It does make you wonder though... if we can get so persistently stuck under a pattern of constant lows and a southerly jet stream, surely the opposite is plausible too? Imagine if we'd have been stuck in the same heat dome that's over southern Europe right now, weeks of high 30s. I guess some would consider that a summer from hell! At this point it wouldn't surprise me if it happens next year.

Yes, I would consider that a summer from hell. And in my view, we had it last year!!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Hot spell (or very warm spell) aside, it’s been awful. No storms. Nothing of interest. It would be the year I don’t go on holiday.

Im going to both Spain and the south of France next summer so we will almost certainly have a good one. Pity it’s so far away and we have 11 months of garbage to get through first

Yeah, you usually go to south of France or something.

Even Paris is doing better. 

To think even a coach trip on the eurolines would make all the difference, but probably not this weekend, with all the holidaymakers heading over there.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SollyOlly said:

I probably don't belong here, because I found 2022 to be an oppressively hot summer and something to hide from, not 'enjoy'. But on the principle of not 'shaming' people for their preferences...my own view is that this is more of 'normal' English summer, and people (especially youngsters) have been 'spoiled' by expecting early, regular, and continuous heat. So what is a 'poor' summer...? Sunshine levels? Temperature? Comparisons? It depends. My own view is that this has been a 'good to normal' summer so far, certainly when I was young this year would have been considered exceptional for June, and relatively normal/ slightly disappointing sunshine levels (but good warmth) for July...each to their own.

Yes, I would consider that a summer from hell. And in my view, we had it last year!!

The trends suggest we should expect such heat much more regularly, I'm sure it'll be a very divisive part of summer in coming years. A scary way of looking at it is that the effects of climate change have taken hold a lot quicker than had been expected in other parts of the world. 

15 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It'd be great if we still had the freedom to live and work in the EU!

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

A maritime westerly summer isn't so bad after the recent heat spikes of 35 plus each year since 2018. I find it very refreshing and cool as last year did too much to bear and was very oppressive in August ..... but lets use this summer as a stern reminder that this is our climate by default when expecting 10 day heatwaves and heat spikes to verify. 

2021 didn’t have a heat spike. It reached 33c in London that year. 

19 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Nobody expects 35c, but we don’t want days of cloud and daytime temps of high teens and low 20s in high summer either. 

• Like 3

Posted

I must admit here in the UK we get a rubbish summer more often than not. Stand out summers are subjective to each individual. The iconic summer of 1976 is still king. Summers in my mind since then that hit the groove are 1983 1984 1989 1990 1995 2003 2006 (june/july) 2018 2022. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

The lack of proper sunny days has been a real issue for me. Less sunshine gives it a less summery feel.

I’m also old enough to remember good summers from my childhood, which would make Summer 2023 poor in comparison. 1983, 84, 89 and 90 are perfect examples of that.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I must admit here in the UK we get a rubbish summer more often than not. Stand out summers are subjective to each individual. The iconic summer of 1976 is still king. Summers in my mind since then that hit the groove are 1983 1984 1989 1990 1995 2003 2006 (june/july) 2018 2022. 

1994 should get some love. It had a hot second half of June, one of the hottest Julys after 83(at the time), despite August being mixed. 

• Like 1