Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - August 2023

Supacell

Posted
3 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

I don't have the money to do so, me and Jay have a Twitter for the forecasts.

I also work with Handry for his forecasts as well.

Keep it up fella at least your trying,some may feel that it hasnt in their back yard. It's a forecast it's a possibility of a probability that may happen.  Keep it up anyway 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 hours ago, Metwatch said:

That looks like a lavender field and I've recently discovered one quite close to home, so maybe I could get a shot of some shelf cloud / CG lightning with the lavender in the future.

I recall a couple of years back I went up towards Cambridge to chase what turned out to be a fairly decent storm system - but the thing I remember most about it is that all the fields were yellow because of a protracted dry spell, and it really contracted against the deep purpley blue of the heavy clouds. The photos are about somewhere but I’ll have to dig them out

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
55 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I recall a couple of years back I went up towards Cambridge to chase what turned out to be a fairly decent storm system - but the thing I remember most about it is that all the fields were yellow because of a protracted dry spell, and it really contracted against the deep purpley blue of the heavy clouds. The photos are about somewhere but I’ll have to dig them out

My best guess is that would have been during July 2018, or maybe 2020 late spring / early summer?

During the strongest storm locally here this year, (11th June) it came after a few weeks of dryness, so if I had left earlier to chase it and find a spot, rather than drive into it just outside Coventry, might have caught something similar. It looked extremly ominous shortly before.

The grass started to become a little yellow in places beforehand. Caused a lot of flash flooding when the rain hit that very dry ground during that evening.

Could contain:

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Convective Outlook ⚡

SBCAPE in excess of 500 J/KG with the 50+ J/KG 3CAPE threshold being reached along the back edge of a left tilted Theta-E tongue. Fairly strong hydrolyse rates again suggest some more well formed storms, mainly concentrated in the slight risk.

This is supported by good DLS and so a Supercell cannot be ruled out. If a Supercell does form then it'll make the most of the MLCAPE available and substantially increase near severe hail chances. May also mean a funnel or tornado is possible given that its riding close to the front with the increased gravity wave and momentum forcing.

Cells look close together enough for some potential exchange of momentum. When they form in a line along a strong PV lobe, the funnel cloud and tornado potential is slightly heightened. Though still too low for a severe to be introduced.

The timing of cell formation is probably early afternoon moving NE mainly across the slight into the evening. Before moving off into the North Sea.

image.thumb.png.a608a5059d9c48d34f7e8264373468fa.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Radar looks quite interesting, very wet night here for sure. Could see a rumble of thunder maybe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Radar looks quite interesting, very wet night here for sure. Could see a rumble of thunder maybe?

The slight risk from earlier today still stands till 6am then the latest one uploaded kicks in.

Here's the old slight risk

image.thumb.png.029ea38effc183e135017636d03ce4e2.png

Posted
57 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

The slight risk from earlier today still stands till 6am then the latest one uploaded kicks in.

Here's the old slight risk

image.thumb.png.029ea38effc183e135017636d03ce4e2.png

Bang on with that one in the South West, seems to be dieing off now though. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Convective Outlook ⚡

SBCAPE in excess of 500 J/KG with the 50+ J/KG 3CAPE threshold being reached along the back edge of a left tilted Theta-E tongue. Fairly strong hydrolyse rates again suggest some more well formed storms, mainly concentrated in the slight risk.

This is supported by good DLS and so a Supercell cannot be ruled out. If a Supercell does form then it'll make the most of the MLCAPE available and substantially increase near severe hail chances. May also mean a funnel or tornado is possible given that its riding close to the front with the increased gravity wave and momentum forcing.

Cells look close together enough for some potential exchange of momentum. When they form in a line along a strong PV lobe, the funnel cloud and tornado potential is slightly heightened. Though still too low for a severe to be introduced.

The timing of cell formation is probably early afternoon moving NE mainly across the slight into the evening. Before moving off into the North Sea.

image.thumb.png.a608a5059d9c48d34f7e8264373468fa.png

Aligns with the UKWW forecasts I’ve been reading… shame it’s another ‘oop north’ event 🥱

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

MCV ? 

Polish_20230814_054939795.thumb.png.5688ee555cd360f821a3e1acd5659494.png

Polish_20230814_082339430.thumb.png.da8c68b87457f1813f9bd0d312846770.png

Polish_20230814_082705154.thumb.png.dffd529fa77edabf9d0b08894e27c84d.png

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

ECM also models a neat little V notch on a storm up north 

xx_model-en-340-0_modez_2023081400_210_5153_241.thumb.png.e909bc4ea92a7c029eb4859cc66a9689.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

A substantial amount of Cape this afternoon around Central/Northern England. Would not be surprised to see an active storm or two somewhere near the Vicinity of Leeds stretching down to Lincolnshire. Also some slight hodograph curvature on the WRF 16z sounding later that could indicate something in the lines of Rotation ?

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
24 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

A substantial amount of Cape this afternoon around Central/Northern England. Would not be surprised to see an active storm or two somewhere near the Vicinity of Leeds stretching down to Lincolnshire. Also some slight hodograph curvature on the WRF 16z sounding later that could indicate something in the lines of Rotation ?

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Not expecting much activity down here, but interesting day none the less. Think a couple of semi-active storms could be possible if they develop in the sheared environment. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thunder 3 miles to the south 15 minutes ago. Clearing away now,( no more since.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted

I think there should be a blanket ban on any talk of any storm that is north of the M4 - at least until July 😊

17 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.8f3985dd8e87f48885b6f3c6df3ed086.png

If only UKV was right

💣 💣 💣 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
14 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think there should be a blanket ban on any talk of any storm that is north of the M4 - at least until July 😊

💣 💣 💣 

I always wanted a northern convective thread but nobody was ever interested.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Guessing the storms are not really happening today. ?

Except JUST to the south of me so far yes. You might still have a chance though.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.f8cb2e38a5372b1aff14678c04827b45.pngimage.thumb.png.811764819600de27aa4779d9e8928cd9.pngimage.thumb.png.60d3984d978b4861c829af81f88323fd.pngimage.thumb.png.3a90e72a91736925a8451418265574c0.png 

Casual 100 mm + over East Kent in 12 hours 

• Like 4