Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted

Just posted a couple of clips of last nights storm in the Yorkshire and E England regional discussion thread, Certainly one of the most active storms I have seen for some years even although it wasn't a direct hit it was impressive. By the time the storm was in a location to be worth videoing from here activity had dropped to about 8-10 strikes per minute, down from the 20+ at its peak.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
8 hours ago, Mapantz said:

October 23rd 2022 just entered the chat

Screenshot2023-09-10004741.thumb.png.09a0c0f8449f48354b2fb794737b88f0.png

That one really caught me out! It was so active at about 5am!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

My lightning detector has beeped. Lightning near Lyme Regis.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

image.thumb.png.764c86642a18e62262a4b7eedefce80f.png

Keeping an eye on this little lot, although the arc of rain now over the Island was also red on the radar when it started to dip its toes! It's already cooling down quite nicely out there so it's time to crack open those windows and try to get some fresher air through the house after a stuffy few days!

Very high cloud bases on this stuff.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
32 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Give it a rest, you have been spoilt with good thunderstorms this year, plenty of direct hits. Sheffield is becoming the storm capital of Yorkshire, already the snow capital.

I don't know where you have got the plenty of direct hits from the vast majority of storms have gone around us as per usual.

The most frustrating thing is you can guarantee for the most part they will go just 10-15 North/North East/East of Sheffield and so it proved to be the case yesterday. 

Could contain:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
38 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I was told you caught a real beast of a storm back in June? 

We had a weak storm and another one that passed close to the station. There was a better one in July which reached as far as us but went no further if I remember correctly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Two lovely peals of thunder,  v dark and large rain drops after the sun appeared briefly . Unexpected I have ti say , just popped up out of nowhere 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

anywhere but here most likely. Hopefully won't get a repeat of yesterday where we are brewing storms for everyone else to enjoy. Long long time since I've sat under a developing storm normally they are decaying as they go over then rebuild as soon as they pass through.

I know Sheffield is a big place but how did you manage to avoid the storm on 8th July? I drove through Sheffield under a storm for the whole time, and it was quite a big system.

Edit: I see you've answered this as I was typing. You are correct, it didn't get much further north than Sheffield.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Looks ripe for some decent storms later further North/NE. Shame it looks like we are just getting showery mess here to end this tropical feeling hot spell. Will be glad when the fresher air moves in though.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Currently light rain here, but looking at the radar it's going to be an interesting day with plenty of activity pushing up from the South.

Screenshot_20230910_094603_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.299f325f38618660d313e26c93060424.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
10 minutes ago, Somerset girl said:

Two lovely peals of thunder,  v dark and large rain drops after the sun appeared briefly . Unexpected I have ti say , just popped up out of nowhere 

All quiet here though blitzortung has picked up stuff in the area

Posted
6 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

I don't know where you have got the plenty of direct hits from the vast majority of storms have gone around us as per usual.

The most frustrating thing is you can guarantee for the most part they will go just 10-15 North/North East/East of Sheffield and so it proved to be the case yesterday. 

Could contain:

Didn't know Mountain lived in Sheffield.

The vast amount of storms fail to make further than the Dronfield bypass drop a little rain as they go over then re-generate as they leave north Sheffield. Even if they do make it they generally split and follow the valleys to the west or the valley to the east of me so getting a direct hit is fairly difficult.  We've had four storms this year out of that one was glancing blow two fairly weak close to being just a thundery shower and one decent one.  That's a lot more than normal so it's been a good year.

At one time they used to survive the journey from Chesterfield to Sheffield but it's very rare these days.

Posted
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

October 23rd 2022 just entered the chat

Screenshot2023-09-10004741.thumb.png.09a0c0f8449f48354b2fb794737b88f0.png

October 23rd and November 3rd last year!

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I know Sheffield is a big place but how did you manage to avoid the storm on 8th July? I drove through Sheffield under a storm for the whole time, and it was quite a big system.

We got hit by that one I'm pretty sure that one didn't go through Sheffield just hit the south.

Storms can also be local where Derbyshire Snow got hit by large hailstones on Woodseats a mere five minute walk from here all I got was a few spots of rain and watched the storm pass to the south east of me.

There was another one where a friend who lives at meadowhead thought my rain gauge was broken as the roads up there were flooding and we recorded 0mm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Why do I have the feeling that showery rain is just going to ruin everything hahah 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
On 08/09/2023 at 07:05, Sprites said:

London and the South East 

tumble-weed.thumb.gif.0b9c3deb6e3681ad78cd4f87d869ce85.gif

200w.gif

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Why do I have the feeling that showery rain is just going to ruin everything hahah 

Yes. There’s lots of clag and messy convection that doesn’t do anyone any favours. Pretty another mass of decaying storm activity wasn’t forecast to move into central southern England this morning. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

There's certainly a lot of gunk pushing northwards that will inhibit solar heating. I suspect models/ Eagle's outlook etc have accounted for this though, so I still fancy some absolute humdingers to develop further north. 

image.thumb.png.94c50efb9f8c3a3ba514d3a700910b52.png

Posted

I’m gonna go for something a bit further north today I reckon - Newcastle down to Stockton in the east and then Blackpool down towards Manchester in the west.

Definitely feel Newcastle/Sunderland area will be ‘lit’ later on 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Given how quickly that storm has developed near Taunton, i think it's promising for those in the main risk areas later today.

Posted

A few spots of rain but it's mostly evaporating on the way down. I'm enjoying the cool weather right now stuck at 19.8C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Two lovely little cells near Bridgwater. Shows the instability nicely. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
30 minutes ago, The PIT said:

We had a weak storm and another one that passed close to the station. There was a better one in July which reached as far as us but went no further if I remember correctly.

The area I'm thinking of is Worrall, remember being told about the storm episode in June or July.

Not sure if that is near you,as my local knowledge is weak

Posted
9 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Given how quickly that storm has developed near Taunton, i think it's promising for those in the main risk areas later today.

Can confirm we have had about 20 mins of pretty much consistent thunder and lightning with heavy rain, storm has moved away now and all is quiet sadly. Hopefully more to come.