Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

slack air / some snow on the ground in places  / long nights - plenty of -10 and below temps on this night..... will be bitter...

image.thumb.png.dbf172bb39bb5fcc1dde4d0d0c3f9851.png

We saw similar last year

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

slack air / some snow on the ground in places  / long nights - plenty of -10 and below temps on this night..... will be bitter...

Yeah definitely, especially with any m snow cover 👍 looking forward to the ECM 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Don’t worry about only seeing -4c uppers, dew points and thickness look good for snow by Thursday for most of the U.K. 

IMG_1308.gif

Yep, similar to last December. Sub -8/10c 850’s are typically needed for a convective easterly. With these types of set ups, not so much. 

Posted

Charts are starting to remind me of December last year where whilst the 850hpa temperatures are nothing to write home about however because it's quite slack, we could see some quite sharp frosts at night aswell for some. 

Snowfall looks extremely limited to me going by the outputs so if your after that then I wouldn't build your hopes up really.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Yeah definitely, especially with any m snow cover 👍 looking forward to the ECM 

which might be a question for in between model runs  - if uppers are say -5 why is it you can temp's below the uppers?

risk of West NAO here - image.thumb.png.84eaa9d23defcf9a9fe1976063c7710f.pngRun Away GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Hmm gfs 12z at day ten looks epic with the heights to the north and low pressure across the uk etc. Now if it was January 👀👀👀👀

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
5 hours ago, topo said:

GFS 06z is probably one of the coldest model runs that I have seen for my area and southern Scandinavia. 

My first day in Stockholm on most models and ensemble suites Tuesday is showing a max of -5c and heavy snow I wonder when the last time that happened in November was?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
7 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

One question I have is how sustained can this blocking become? We know the teleconnective drivers aren't in favour of this but through what appears to be pure chance we've seen a wave-breaking event at the exact right time to throw up this high-latitude blocking.

Now.. with the likely return of an active jet into early December on the back of -AAM tendency & MJO transitioning phases 1/2/3. if blocking is somehow able to take a quasi-stationary residence to our north this may south shift the more active jet stream, we then see the Canadian warming kicking in which helps to reinforce any blocking. 

By mid December MJO should be cycling into more favourable blocking areas with a switch to +AAM tendency.. very, very interesting times.

Good post. Whatever the background signals are the atmosphere will do its dance. Hence a 48 hour forcast ie sliders/rain-snow are projections 🙏🙏🙏

Edited by swfc
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GEM has a decent run, doesn’t quite make as much of the first low near Scotland around the T120 mark as the GFS, but more than UKMO or ICON, then very good coverage of cold by T180 in NE flow:

IMG_7738.thumb.png.03b2003ab55bcf2be9e8eecd846340d5.pngIMG_7737.thumb.png.6ca121f451076940331f4a3f4da42043.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GEM has a decent run, doesn’t quite make as much of the first low near Scotland around the T120 mark as the GFS, but more than UKMO or ICON, then very good coverage of cold by T180 in NE flow:

IMG_7738.thumb.png.03b2003ab55bcf2be9e8eecd846340d5.pngIMG_7737.thumb.png.6ca121f451076940331f4a3f4da42043.png

Like that GEM run a lot, cooler uppers than most models

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Some pretty astounding runs this evening- especially just opening the door to winter- And as again, with such Synoptics expect those 850- inflow to continue the down drive into the UK..

C125422B-ADD7-4C1C-9BD1-A8533A144D9C.png

BB9B18AE-7AEE-4CF0-BFEB-3930A2B66B6D.png

• Like 5

Posted
25 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Any idea of the track of that low or will it disappear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
19 minutes ago, swfc said:

Hmm gfs 12z at day ten looks epic with the heights to the north and low pressure across the uk etc. Now if it was January 👀👀👀👀

Actually, perfect for snow chances,  I would think due to low solar output ,and relatively warm SSTs ,creating instabilty and with Artic air becoming entrenched across the UK ,some folks on the coast may well see Thundersnow ,yes thunderSsnnnaaawww ! Gfs 12z, is a peach of a run for coldies up to the T+240 hrs and beyond.  Of course ,forecasting snow, saying where it will fall and where, is a mugs game, but next week is looking primed to kick off Winter in true style ,looking the best start to winter since 2010! 😨😨😨

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1