Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
8 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Best start to Winter since Nov/Dec 2010🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Every coming Winter the resident NW Mod thread 'cheerleaders' whip up their 'followers' into a frenzy about computer model output and the chance of some sleet showers🤣

See above - cue the "Darren Bett's a mildy" comments🤣.

Perfect analysis. I enjoy the 1000 word posts about , well.. nothing. 🤣

• Like 3

Posted

This country can be bloody boring sometimes! I reckon it’ll be 2-4 sunny and frosty days, then cold rain then back to mild rain. Then that’ll be your lot until the next cold spell. Hope I’m wrong.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry, sunny summers, Cold snowy and frosty winters

That’s decent snow showers now settling at my place 6 miles west of Dyce Aberdeen airport. Wasn’t sure it would this close to the coast but great to see. I’m hoping the Atlantic is slowly dying and high pressure finds a new home over Scandi during winter in the coming years and suddenly you’ll have a new climate regime. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
49 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

This country can be bloody boring sometimes! I reckon it’ll be 2-4 sunny and frosty days, then cold rain then back to mild rain. Then that’ll be your lot until the next cold spell. Hope I’m wrong.

Some heavy rain and my fav 3c with drizzle 😢😢

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Light snow on the Yorkshire Wolds just now and a few more showers heading this way 😁

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Does it bother anyone else when many tv weather reports say degrees rather than degrees Celsius which is what they mean. BBC do it all the time, international viewers must think we are Baltic when reporters are saying for example ‘it’ll be 5 degrees’ rather than saying it’ll be 5 degrees Celsius  which is the correct term ie 41 degrees farenheit, it really is irritating to me as 5 degrees is -15c 

We should do away with Celsius and use Fahrenheit only in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Does it bother anyone else when many tv weather reports say degrees rather than degrees Celsius which is what they mean. BBC do it all the time, international viewers must think we are Baltic when reporters are saying for example ‘it’ll be 5 degrees’ rather than saying it’ll be 5 degrees Celsius  which is the correct term ie 41 degrees farenheit, it really is irritating to me as 5 degrees is -15c 

Dont really see an issue here. No different to US forecasts referring to degrees when they still use foreignheit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Celcius all the way!

image.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Dont really see an issue here. No different to US forecasts referring to degrees when they still use foreignheit.

It’s an issue because 41f feels a lot different to -15 lol

as I said we should all use Fahrenheit to save confusion 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Celcius all the way!

image.png

Why am I not surprised with the USA ha always wanting to sound the best 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Doesn’t make sense though as the world uses Celsius. Only the US lags behind to my knowledge.

• Like 2

Posted

Feels Baltic tonight though brrr, relieved i don’t have to wake up at 6am tomorrow  and defrost my car, will happily be snug in my bed and sound asleep if my body clock lets me 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
16 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Going from Celsius to Fahrenheit would be like going from electricity back to candle light lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
24 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Nope

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stewfox said:

Nope

Nah

3 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Going from Celsius to Fahrenheit would be like going from electricity back to candle light lol

I think it’s the reverse, celcius Is misleading 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Nah

I think it’s the reverse, celcius Is misleading 

What makes more sense? 0celsius freezing point 100celsius boiling point, or 32farenheit freezing point  212farenheit boiling point? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Freeze said:

What makes more sense? 0celsius freezing point 100celsius boiling point, or 32farenheit freezing point  212farenheit boiling point? 

Well I guess so, maybe the USA needs to get with program then 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
37 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I doubt it bothers anybody really, unless you were born before the 1950s in the U.K.  

Pretty much the entire world uses Celsius, so any international viewers watching the U.K. weather (can’t be many) are likely to be very familiar with Celsius being the international standard of temperature measurement.  The US is the obvious deviation, but why should the rest of the world change to accommodate them? 

IMG_2734.thumb.webp.4327a19aa53c5b496f54892efc9578a9.webp

Posted
3 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Well I guess so, maybe the USA needs to get with program then 

I think they do, when I was a kid and went to America for the first time the weather presenters said 'it will be 100 degrees today', I thought it can't be that hot we will all die lol

Posted

I know it's still only November but this winter feels like a sick joke already. Just a few days ago this week was looking snowy with ice days. The reality? 6C yesterday, nearly 5C today. The ECM was the party pooper on that occasion but then offered salvation with heavy snow this Friday followed by a freeze; now that too has gone the shape of the pear, with temperatures hovering above zero and the likelihood of no settling snow at all. Given the potential there was for an excellent start to winter this is a massive kick in the balls. Last winter was simply dreadful for missed cold, failed marginality and cold rain so I really didn't need this. Seeing other parts of Slovakia not far away getting buried also sucks.

It did snow quite a bit on Saturday but temperatures stayed just above freezing so there was only a dusting on some cars at best. Otherwise it's just cold rain and mud. Early days but I'm preparing for a very long winter.

Humbug.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 27/11/2023 at 22:41, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

With all due respect, if it gripes you that much then you are probably in the wrong place. Being a forum for weather enthusiasts, people getting excited over the prospect of extremes (during both summer and winter) is surely to be expected, is it not? It would be like joining a gaming forum and complaining about people showing great enthusiasm in a game.

We all know that extreme cold is more unlikely rather than likely these days, but there is no harm in getting excited over the prospect.

I get it but it is not any old extremes it is a very narrow selection of extremes. I don't recall anyone on here getting excited about storm Ciaran and wishing it would track 100 miles further north to slam southern England with another October 1987 repeat, or becoming ecstatic over one of the wettest July's on record, or the wonders of a southerly displaced jet stream steering low after low over England and Wales. Did anyone love the wettest April to July on record in 2012 or storm Desmond and its record breaking rainfall in 2015?

I also get the gripes because extremes nearly always cause major inconvenience, disruption or at worst, death and destruction. The UK can barely manage in near normal weather sometimes without something going tits up. When drooling over an extreme event it is easy to forget there are people suffering because of it, so some empathy is also reasonable.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
18 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

I know it's still only November but this winter feels like a sick joke already.

Winter hasn't started yet. That is like complaining about the performance of your favourite football team a few minutes before kick off.

• Like 3