Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

After some unexpected rain here first thing, now we have some glorious weather - blue sky, clear, and cold!! Long may it last, something seasonal at last. I love snow, but if we can't have that then I am at least enjoying clear, cold weather. No moans from me atm! Rather than worrying about the latest model wobble or otherwise, I'm happy to be enjoying the here and now. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Hi all, not sure whether or not I'm allowed to post this link, but look what came up on my YouTube feed...! I hadn't seen this before. Looks luvverly...

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Almost looks like a carbon copy of the run up to last Christmas, cold in a slack northerly flow. Last year many were celebrating the failure of any systems making inroads into the UK, we remained mostly dry before a tepid breakdown near to xmas week. Hopefully this year we will get a more interesting transition. 

In parts of Kent we got 5 inches of snow in a couple of hours one Sunday night from a channel low which moved North.  Some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen.  Then it stuck around for a week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
5 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

In parts of Kent we got 5 inches of snow in a couple of hours one Sunday night from a channel low which moved North.  Some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen.  Then it stuck around for a week.

Remember it well I was shovelling for over 5hours at my work place it started the moment I started work had about 4.5inches in NW Kent

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Lots of 5c or 6c for much of England next, Scotland colder according to BBC.

Model output discussions seem to be over ramping ?

• Like 1

Posted

Thursday 30 Nov - Saturday 9 Dec

Outbreaks of rain and some hill snow are likely to spread across parts of England and Wales during Thursday. This could be heavy and prolonged in places, before it begins to fade and clear away again to the south during Friday. Further north, a mixture of sunny spells and wintry showers on Thursday and Friday, the showers most frequent near coasts. Over the weekend and into the following week, cold conditions and northerly winds are expected across the bulk of the UK. Showers will develop, these a mixture of rain, sleet and, at times, snow, with the most frequent showers across coastal districts in the north and east. Some inland areas, especially in the south, could be mainly dry and bright.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on 

Suspect this won't be far off the mark.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I'm preparing myself for spells of cold rain...something I've got use to on some recent winters. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Whenever 2017 gets mentioned it's like an inner child wakes up in me and I am filled with intense nostalgia.

What was so good about Dec 2017?  Genuinely can’t remember anything special and even the archive charts look poor. Genuinely interested!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

What was so good about Dec 2017?  Genuinely can’t remember anything special and even the archive charts look poor. Genuinely interested!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Johnp said:

We had thundersnow imby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

Potent north westerly and an Atlantic low that brought heavy snow to many central and some southern areas.

I remember after the low pulled away we had the clearest blue sky over deep snow cover with temperatures not rising above -2°C by day. It was absolutely stunning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
9 minutes ago, Johnp said:

In the South East it was poor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
6 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

In the South East it was poor.

Without going off topic, in NW Kent it was excellent. Rain steadily turned to snow during the morning of the 10th and dumped a massive load of snow through the day that settled.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
30 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Just wanted to drop this in here to remind folk of what is possible. This was 28 Nov 2021...in Odiham, Hampshire. 

Same date here, though the synoptic set up was a bit different to what's coming. 

IMG_20211128_155557233.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I'm enjoying the chilly & seasonal weather but I saw a comment about the coldest start to winter since 2010? 😛

We had more frosts and ice days during the early 2022 winter cold snap compared to what's forecast this week. And in NE London I had 7 inches of snow fall in 3 hours and it didn't melt for a week

Last Dec vs. Next week

IMG_3655.thumb.PNG.8329b95d027b6a0cd57659954c796236.PNGIMG_9911.thumb.PNG.f64f74b6b547086013f655ca1102fae2.PNG

12th December 2022

IMG_3787.thumb.jpg.8821772ecddbb483efcf792f82330830.jpgIMG_3767.thumb.jpg.131ad8f7fe02171ecb0f64f1a53a67ae.jpgIMG_3921.thumb.jpg.e9b89e3ef2273ff8f89a899ab418d377.jpg

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

The following charts gave me in Leeds my most memorable snow event. Heavy rain until it turned to very heavy snow at 5pm. Over 40cm dumped by late evening. (Must have been some cold upper upper upper air temps)😀. It certainly phased me

B5D1B9FA-968F-4CA6-A334-67D9F492E94B.png

0B4E2576-AD04-49E9-8DAF-ED491E242650.png

I had to drive back to Huddersfield. Took 7 hours. I'm from Manchester so had never seen snow like that. 20 inches recorded un Huddersfield that night

9 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I had to drive back to Huddersfield. Took 7 hours. I'm from Manchester so had never seen snow like that. 20 inches recorded un Huddersfield that night

Drive from Leeds would normally have taken 30 mins

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
1 minute ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Drive from Leeds would normally have taken 30 mins

I remember that evening at Leeds University residence. We all headed out afterwards for a snowball fight 😬

• Like 1