Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ICON 6z keeping Monday’s front further south. 

IMG_3107.jpeg

Do you think it's more likely to be south of this?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Harveyslugger said:

Do you think it's more likely to be south of this?

Possible but most models actually take it further north at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

Yeah I get that and I'm not without hope....I still can't see any way to avoid the change, but I was careful to say 'milder' rather than mild or very mild, I'm far from convinced will see either of those devils.

It does look more than unlikely that we avoid a return to average temps and possibly the odd mild day. but how long that lasts for is , as you say, the question. as a preference, I wouldn’t be against a very mild couple of days if it’s connected to a strong burst of WAA.   Context . 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
29 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

Yeah I get that and I'm not without hope....I still can't see any way to avoid the change, but I was careful to say 'milder' rather than mild or very mild, I'm far from convinced will see either of those devils.

Yup and aside from the ICON 00z, the cold is being shifted away from Scandi in all the operationals now. I think that low between Greenland and Norway was the big spoiler. That Svalbard high of interest is now sinking into central Russia as mild air makes inroads further eastwards at our latitude.

The EC at T240 could risk locking in some mild weather for a while if the high builds into central Europe. Would be a long way back to cold from that... it is at least at T240. GFS 00z really wasn't good either, UKMO 00z is of a little more interest but pretty poor this morning again.

Edited by Derecho
  • Like 1

Posted

There’s perhaps one opportunity to eject some shortwave energy east se and this would need to happen to extend the cold further and cause a domino effect on the future evolution .

You can see the ICON similar to the others . They try to eject some shortwave energy off the main complex low upstream .

The mechanics essentially the two lows will essentially spin anti clockwise as this happens because of some forcing from the ne some energy tries to head east se .

You can see that shortwave . We don’t manage to eject that cleanly to run into France . This would further promote heights to the north .

IMG_0702.thumb.PNG.16078165211b46b19b1ade3d5ea4a874.PNG

Its a longshot but realistically I don’t see any other opportunity within the day 5 timeframe .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Good summaries this morning. Probably the most sobering set of runs in quite a while. I was hoping for more trough disruption. Unfortunately, it looks like those atlantic lows are forming into the 'bowling ball' variety. Let's just wait to see how long it takes for the atlantic to run out of puff. Sounds like all the drivers etc point to it being a temporary affair. Then back to something much more exciting. 

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
10 hours ago, Allseasons-Si said:

Erm!!!,...WOW!!!

gfsnh-12-384.thumb.png.c04bb6619fcfd9ce93ec6fd2cd9867c4.png

I remember  seeing a chart like this 10 years ago when i first joined. I asked what the "big black bit" meant. Strangly, nobody replied lol. I understand now of course, but something else i remember from that winter,   there was no cold, snow or anything of significance.  Lets hope this year is different.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow

Well, that's a light dusting of snow here that definitely wasn't modelled this morning! (Dundee, 139m ASL)

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like everyone can take a break and relax for the next week as me move into the transition, might do some of us some good to look away from the models before we go again in the lead up to the Christmas holidays.

time to concentrate on Christmas shopping and pre Christmas work parties.

This last period has been very interesting indeed and I suspect that the fun is far from over as we turn into the new year.

back in a week to see what’s going on 

👋

• Like 9

Posted

I've been looking at the ecm run again because something struck me the first time I viewed it. Does anyone else think that the transition from the 144 chart to the 168 looks odd? Like, it doesn't look like a natural 24 hour progression that you would expect to see? Or it could just be me. 

ECH1-144 (4).gif

ECH1-168 (9).gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Please posts any snow reports/nowcasting into the regional threads, it's going to be a busy evening ☺️

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I've been looking at the ecm run again because something struck me the first time I viewed it. Does anyone else think that the transition from the 144 chart to the 168 looks odd? Like, it doesn't look like a natural 24 hour progression that you would expect to see? Or it could just be me. 

ECH1-144 (4).gif

ECH1-168 (9).gif

Very odd, that 970mb low pretty much fizzles out. A good sign imo.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
20 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

ECH1-144 (4).gif

ECH1-168 (9).gif

In between frames might help!!

IMG_7882.thumb.png.f29b3160c301ac6b60d3bd9916092ee1.pngIMG_7879.thumb.png.c28e43ff963f4f356c31ffce73314968.pngIMG_7880.thumb.png.6e83d45825fd68033715ecab8c384373.png

Longer term, I think it is clear now that the sliding lows scenario to preserve the current cold went out of the window yesterday, the bowling ball lows it is, but they cannot move east much past the UK, so we will get warmer as the WAA ahead hopefully pumps up a high that will be of benefit later.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

In between frames might help!!

IMG_7879.thumb.png.c28e43ff963f4f356c31ffce73314968.pngIMG_7880.thumb.png.6e83d45825fd68033715ecab8c384373.pngIMG_7880.thumb.png.9ea570a831f44cb4673587d96d720c1c.png

Longer term, I think it is clear now that the sliding lows scenario to preserve the current cold went out of the window yesterday, the bowling ball lows it is, but they cannot move east much past the UK, so we will get warmer as the WAA ahead hopefully pumps up a high that will be of benefit later.  

Thanks Mike. Looks less odd now but still a little. I didn't realise you could see these shorter interval time steps on the ecm run so thank you. 

• Like 1

Posted

The GFS 06 hrs run tries but we don’t manage a clean ejection of the shortwave .

We need a complete separation from the upstream mothership ! No hang back of energy .

This is important . It will then promote heights circled yellow . This then adds forcing on the bottom low .

This will alter the track into the UK .

IMG_0703.thumb.PNG.a5242f502f982d923c58fdd491e11fb0.PNG

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Thanks Mike. Looks less odd now but still a little. I didn't realise you could see these shorter interval time steps on the ecm run so thank you. 

Yes, they are here:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le modèle deterministe de ECMWF CEP en Open-Data avec une résolution de 0.4°

They also include more charts such as precipitation, jet stream etc.  But they aren’t available until slightly later than the run comes out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The GFS 06 hrs run tries but we don’t manage a clean ejection of the shortwave .

We need a complete separation from the upstream mothership ! No hang back of energy .

This is important . It will then promote heights circled yellow . This then adds forcing on the bottom low .

This will alter the track into the UK .

IMG_0703.thumb.PNG.a5242f502f982d923c58fdd491e11fb0.PNG

Arpege cuts off just before we can see if this would happen.

Very disappointing 00z runs on the whole though, which seems to be a constant thing at the moment 

arpegenh-0-102 (13).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

06z now wants to go uebermild.

GFSOPEU06_276_1-1.thumb.png.204de4ef0355bb79b4b737ef024454fa.png

May not end up as bad as it looks at first glance. WAA & all that jazz.

GFSOPNH06_336_1.thumb.png.acec6c68eb312eec2a6c3ebb6438b006.pngGFSOPEU06_342_1.thumb.png.4559ec6b3a57419a0a43e47736c310b3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

Is there a way to access MetDesk charts for free?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers