Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

Can’t help feeling that the situation in the USA is massively important if we are to see the current evolution upgrade into an epic cold spell over here (I’m not talking about the Christmas timescale here).  So I hope there is record warm across the pond!

We may be looking down the barrel of a loaded gun… a massive displacement of the tPV towards Eu/scandi may be, and this mild interlude is just cocking the hammer? 

Can’t help feeling that the situation in the USA is massively important if we are to see the current evolution upgrade into an epic cold spell over here (I’m not talking about the Christmas timescale here).  So I hope there is record warm across the pond!

We may be looking down the barrel of a loaded gun… a massive displacement of the tPV towards Eu/scandi may be, and this mild interlude is just cocking the hammer? 

Can’t help feeling that the situation in the USA is massively important if we are to see the current evolution upgrade into an epic cold spell over here (I’m not talking about the Christmas timescale here).  So I hope there is record warm acr

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
39 minutes ago, TillyS said:

This remains a stubborn high to our south. Yes, northerly incursions are perfectly possible from this but there is an almost entire absence of northerly blocking at the moment, so don’t hold out high expectations right now. The typical scenario with this would be a couple of days of polar maritime chill before mild air returns from the north-west.

Screenshot2023-12-13at07_40_32.thumb.png.f14b1c1b3fbb0de9670048ce112670e1.png

No blocking = no prolonged cold

This is often the problem, we need that high to our south to either move far westward or migrate northwest or northeast to bring in the colder weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Maybe we need a new thread, this one isn’t loading properly? @admins

• Like 1

Posted

Just to set expectations ; I can’t see any models showing widespread snow and ice days over Christmas for the majority away from Scottish / welsh mountains. I’ve seen these “PV sinking south over the uk brining snowy conditions”  many times on the models over the years,  and usually it’s watered down and snow is limited away from usual high ground. 

What we are seeing is a mainly north westerly flow (occasionally north) with a mix of rain and sleet showers for most and snow for high ground. Temps around 4-6c during the day for most.   IF we are lucky enough to get a low slipping further south and dragging in a northerly there’s a chance of some snow on the northern edge …

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, IDO said:

I have been watching the tPV for a few days, hoping the Arctic high will sink into Siberia/Russia, propping up that high, a trigger block to enable the Euro trough. The D1-D8 GEFS mean highlights this:

animxpk4.gif 

That retrogresses the Euro high back west. The ebb and flow of the tPV, rather than sub-tropical forcing, that's still MIA. So, it's a bonus.

Lots of uncertainty post D8, macro and micro and a watching brief for the time being. Timing and the reaction of the trough and Euro high could make a big difference to what we experience. As this is the machinations of the cycling of the tPV, I am more inclined to believe that this will be a shorter cold spell for some, but maybe other background forces can increase the longevity...

Perhaps a good time for the spv and tpv to couple with the fairly benign upper strat flow feeding down into the trop  ?  That would help the pattern to stick. 

• Like 4

Morning peeps,

Well the models are showing something more seasonal as we run up to Christmas. However we need to sit tight on our seats. People in the south will probably be wondering what the sudden fuss is all about and right so as down here eg London we don’t normally benefit from a NW airflow. 

So the way I am seeing this is yes if we do get the PM shots it will bring temperatures down and feel more seasonal. However at the moment I am not seeing any sign of widespread snow or severe cold, especially here in. London. What happens from here who knows but we need to again watch with great caution it may be a 2 or 3 day colder snap and then we have the normal Atlantic coming back. We would all wish that this leads to something more sustained but just got to see how the pattern evolves and where Mr High pressure decides to go.

I will end the above with a slightly cheery note. I can’t remember what year it was but we had a similar patter n a NW airstream covered the Uk with a high out to our W SW.Then that NW airstream turned into a northerly as the and eventually the high migrated the Scandinavia and winds turned to a bitter NE and that bright widespread snow and severe cold. Forgive me as I can’t remember how far back this was but this setup did happen many years ago. So where we go in the current model output is up for grabs but things can even from these setups turn in our favour.

Have a great Wednesday all

THE SEARCH FOR OUR WINTER WONDERLAND CONTINUES 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

regards 😊😊😊😊

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Just to set expectations ; I can’t see any models showing widespread snow and ice days over Christmas for the majority away from Scottish / welsh mountains. I’ve seen these “PV sinking south over the uk brining snowy conditions”  many times on the models over the years,  and usually it’s watered down and snow is limited away from usual high ground. 

What we are seeing is a mainly north westerly flow (occasionally north) with a mix of rain and sleet showers for most and snow for high ground. Temps around 4-6c during the day for most.   IF we are lucky enough to get a low slipping further south and dragging in a northerly there’s a chance of some snow on the northern edge …

Seen snow here almost every time there's a north westerly during the winter months, and I'm far from being up a mountain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Best leave that opinion to the people that live in the areas that this type of setup suits im low laying and well inland and will do quite well from this if it pans out like some charts show merry christmas🥶🎅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Looking at today’s zero hours runs from GFS, and to an extent ECMWF. I think we can have 30 maybe 40% confidence in getting something called for next week it certainly ties in with forts from Exeter in the text forecast from yesterday if you read the text. It also says that chances of cold increases later on in December and beginning of Jan 2024 they do, however state that on balance it could remain mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

I may be missing something here, but the BOM plot seems to disagree with the ECM 46 plot about - the past, let alone the future.

IMG_7987.thumb.png.e7cd22a3e20045cae77781c7db46272a.png

I'd probably stick to this chart.

image.thumb.png.ae81fc9fc8a74fa50c7ed2ec76862eb9.png

ECM bias corrected is now broadly in line with the BOM. The difference they have is around amplitude. We wait to see.

• Like 5

Posted

All things considered this could be a very snowy  xmas set up for the likes of @Kasim Awan

@MattH amongst others in the community.

Certainly a cyclonic  NWly with uppers around -5 /-6 should in theory produce very good results 250m asl and above ...

• Like 5

Posted

2 steps forward overnight, but a definite step back on the 06GFS at 162hrs, which is considerably flatter than its 00 counterpart.

Lets see how the rest of the run pans out, but those stubborn Euro heights look like delaying the colder push S a bit on this run.

IMG_5484.jpeg

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 1

Posted

The big difference between ECM and GFS is the modelling of the pole, by 240 the GFS has split the PV whereas the ECM has it strengthening. When looking at the charts, don't just look at the Europe view, also take into account the Northern hemisphere view.

What I am saying is (excuse the pun) they are polar opposites of each other and one is going to have to give.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

2 steps forward overnight, but a definite step back on the 06GFS at 162hrs, which is considerably flatter than its 00 counterpart.

Lets see how the rest of the run pans out, but those stubborn Euro heights look like delaying the colder push S a bit on this run.

IMG_5484.jpeg

looks ok to me if anything the the trough is making better progress south towards iberia on this run to my eye 

image.thumb.png.7db9a4008d7eba1212b54b9c4a8ccd73.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

6z brings lots of snow ❄️ showers to elevated NW Britain and on the 22ns brings a period of snow for SW England

image.thumb.png.4ec604130d8f0c0f47b16072e29e2175.png

No snow with those uppers other than the very highest ground. Gfs can be quite misleading in its ppn type charts

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

No snow with those uppers other than the very highest ground. Gfs can be quite misleading in its ppn type charts

I intially agreed on uppers of around -5 not cutting it for most - however there is something about thicknesses as well that need to considered and might by more important under such low pressure?

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

With low heights and slp, the freezing level will be lower than the uppers indicate - where the flow relaxes a bit I’d expect to see snow in the northwest to reasonably low elevations 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Interesting little feature runs from western N. Ireland to Paris on the gfs 06z around 240 /264

• Like 1