Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

The ECM looks like it’s going to split the shortwave energy over the eastern seaboard day 5 into 6 and so can’t evolve like the GFS .

Whether that adds up to a more wintry scenario we’ll know very soon .

• Like 6

Posted
42 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i can't get excited about anything coming from the West or NW, that usually transfers as 7c and sleety rain in London at best😜

Am inclined to agree. They often promise much but seldom deliver, even for the NW of the country except over highest ground although some wet snow showers can come in on a brisk cold wind even to lower levels on north facing coasts.

There’s just too much fetch across the (warm) seas so that even if the -5 hPa dam crosses the country the results are weak for snow on the ground, especially inland and further south.

At the moment, and this may change, we’re seeing a classic example of how the GFS 19 times out of 20 wildly exaggerates these northerlies, only to downgrade them on subsequent runs. Not its finest hour.

We need northerly blocking and / or greater amplification with a mid-Atlantic block. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, Derecho said:

From the model output I can foresee three possible scenarios

1) We get a northerly and a wedge towards the Greenland area that helps sustains a colder pattern - can't see this happening. Looking at the previous round of GFS ens this is the closest I can find.

image.thumb.png.4ee1501b9aa300a02eb07fa6328bc863.png

2) We don't get northern blocking but high pressure avoids Europe for a little while allowing for alternating periods of chilly and mild up to christmas or just after christmas. Potentially a stormy pattern and at least holds some interest as the cold shots will be sharper and pushing further south.

image.thumb.png.982269283e337156f0e992263c743077.png

3) High pressure leeches into Europe and as a result mild air wins the battle in the south with fleeting chilly and mild spells in the north. This is the scenario we don't want but it could happen. Time and time again in recent years (and the cold spell at the start of the month) pressure has somehow found a way to increase over Spain or central Europe to end our cold spells early. SLP trends over time have shown that pressure has increased over the continent as our climate warms.

image.thumb.png.8a25721d99b4940d0b192205b2077e32.png

I often therefore sit on the fence when committing to a cold spell unless I can be sure heights over Europe won't be an issue.

It'll be difficult to see some decent cold for the rest of December if the outcome of this pre-festive period is a poor one so hopefully we can get 1) or 2) but prepare for 3).... Sorry to be a scrooge but the output isn't very exciting at the moment from my perspective though the situation can change.

So another mild Dec on the cards then 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

A rash of wintry showers, the usual.... the higher up the better etc.

overview_20231214_12_186.thumb.jpg.3471aeb168d5bf4169022f11bef321b5.jpgoverview_20231214_12_192.thumb.jpg.24d1dc3c9f7427852f54820d81aa8a0e.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

With no northern blocking on show any cold can’t be sustained, the jet stream is too powerful.

i think it’s time to move on from Xmas and look beyond into the new year.

Hopefully Jan can show its wintry hand and we’re not chasing down that ticking clock to spring. 

Edited by weathercold
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, booferking said:

Ec short lived cold blast at best 1 half day at best and eggs in 1 basket the JMA basket 🤣😅

We may wait another 13 years for white christmas at this rate.

Starting to feel the same, can we even get cold/snow within Meteorological Winter? Maybe it should be rephrased "True Autumn" with November and March being called "The Winter Months"?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

So as usual it all gets watered down to bugger all. Great

Not even bugger all, it's worse. Polar North Westerlies replaced by mild South Westerlies.

Horrendous ECM.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

The ECM12Z does look to have somewhat of a Bartlett in place.

Incorrect. This is just a ridge from the Azores High.

A Bartlett is an area of HP extending across the Atlantic and needs to last weeks.

The MJO is moving into favourable sectors which will support ringing towards Greenland,  even if the are temporary. 

• Like 1

Posted

So is the one day cold blip outlr final third Dec cold 🙄

• Thanks 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, johncam said:

So another mild Dec on the cards then 

Cold spells are rarely long in my experience. I'd say that pretty normal other than a few exceptional winters. Certainly in my 60 years anything 7 days plus is pretty good really. Not saying we haven't had sustained periods of cold but they are few and far between and in my part of the world always were

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Incorrect. This is just a ridge from the Azores High.

A Bartlett is an area of HP extending across the Atlantic and needs to last weeks.

The MJO is moving into favourable sectors which will support ringing towards Greenland,  even if the are temporary. 

When is it gonna show though