Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
17 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

GFS Control 12Z vs 18Z. Such disparity is amazing at just 138 hours.

gens-0-1-132.png

gens-0-1-138.png

All to play for then. Incredible at that time range really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I really don’t know why we bother looking later than 4 days really. We should manage our own expectations. Speaking for myself of course 😂

• Thanks 1

Posted

Whilst poor for cold in the run up to christmas and the day itself, the GFS turns the cold tap on from 27th through to New Year with northerlies and then polar maritime air, so for longer term cold prospects those who want that will be happy with it.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted

This pub run is the first to show the level of warming up top that we’d need to see to consider a split possibility 

Need to see this gain traction although it’s had some momentum as a trend 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

This pub run is the first to show the level of warming up top that we’d need to see to consider a split possibility 

Need to see this gain traction although it’s had some momentum as a trend 

Yep fairly strong warming on the 18z . Been watching this for the last several runs and that’s the strongest one so far I think . 

A664F564-7DBE-496A-A0F4-CF1B5A13CBF1.png

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
37 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The pub run improves approaching new year 

of course it does 🤪

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

18z  GFS a huge mild outlier.

I would say the ECM is moving towards the 12Z GFS solution. 

Hang fire .

Models all over the place 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
11 minutes ago, Notty said:

I really don’t know why we bother looking later than 4 days really. We should manage our own expectations. Speaking for myself of course 😂

After countless times being burned over many, many years, I’ve learned that whilst I still pay attention to what’s being shown beyond 4 or 5 days ahead, I do not get in the slightest bit excited by cold and/or snowy charts at that range any longer. For all the advances in NWP, it is still the case that nothing is remotely guaranteed until we get to within about 96 hours. Too many small variables affect our chances here in the UK, any one of those can change at any point until 4 or so days away that makes the whole set up crash down like a pack of cards. 

It’s the price we pay for our geographical location! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yep fairly strong warming on the 18z . Been watching this for the last several runs and that’s the strongest one so far I think . 

A664F564-7DBE-496A-A0F4-CF1B5A13CBF1.png

Always right out at the end though. Get it to day 8-9 then its worth thinking about.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, danm said:

After countless times being burned over many, many years, I’ve learned that whilst I still pay attention to what’s being shown beyond 4 or 5 days ahead, I do not get in the slightest bit excited by cold and/or snowy charts at that range any longer. For all the advances in NWP, it is still the case that nothing is remotely guaranteed until we get to within about 96 hours. Too many small variables affect our chances here in the UK, any one of those can change at any point until 4 or so days away that makes the whole set up crash down like a pack of cards. 

I could have wrote this post except for me I start taking notice with a raised eyebrow from day 5. By day 3 I might start to be really interested. Often it's ripped away at day 2 so it's not until that has passed ok that I start to get excited. Which being this far south is never ...

13 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Always right out at the end though. Get it to day 8-9 then its worth thinking about.

Nope. Days 5-7

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
54 minutes ago, danm said:

This ^^  in a nutshell, Well put danm 👍

Posted

All eyes on in early 2024… it’s an interesting possibility which I believe is growing, with potential impacts right in the cold heart of winter. Unlike last winter and many others….

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Never seen so much flip flopping from Icon 0z best run yet for Xmas completely different from 18z a few hours ago with a Northerly rather than a NWly so uppers sweep further south seasonal would be nice atleast down here! Will Icon set the tone? I doubt the models have reached agreement just yet lol

Screenshot_20231218_033529_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231218_033519_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes.

So much going on as the models swing attempting to pin down the weather over Christmas and still plenty of time for more changes.

The chance of a nice seasonal Christmas is on the cards followed by something far more wintery as we head through January. Plenty to be positive about for those of a cold persuasion 👍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Decent Icon and GFS this morning but UKMO not as good as 12z although it would get some cold air across for Christmas

image.thumb.png.b76cc693dc83c08767f251815f6a43ac.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Another swing back to cold I swear the 0z are usually the mildest runs in prospective cold snaps not this week it seems 0z GFS vs 18z huge difference once again

Screenshot_20231218_041125_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231218_041120_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231218_041140_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231218_041133_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

It's amazing how the location of a small low pressure system 2500 miles from our shores can have such a big impact downstream 

There’s still so much play in the pattern. For example, that low could prompt a ridge ahead of it which would promote more of a slower moving N’ly (ala ICON).

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

There’s still so much play in the pattern. For example, that low could prompt a ridge ahead of it which would promote more of a slower moving N’ly (ala ICON).

True, with the states being relatively mild next week there is no jet to carry the lows across the Atlantic, so they may just spin away almost stationary.

Quite an unusual setup for this time of year 

iconnh-5-147.png

• Like 1