Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hottest Heatwave of All Time Championship

CryoraptorA303

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
1 hour ago, WYorksWeather said:

Just thinking about a few other stats that could be thrown in. How does it work if we do rainfall? Say, most consecutive days with only trace amounts of rainfall, or average precip per day of heatwave? I know that 1976 was part of a notable drought, so would that boost it up the ranking at all?

Measuring rainfall or drought intensity as part of how anomalous a heatwave is makes little sense. Same can be said with sunshine as hottest temperatures require sunshine in almost all cases I can think of. Droughts can persist into less warm periods not part of a heatwave.

I mean the clue is in the word "heat" wave, so temperatures are measured not rainfall. You can get rain in the middle of quite potent heatwaves in oceanic or a lot of semi arid climates via thunderstorms, e.g August 2020. June 2023 less extreme example, which infact can make a month even more exciting or notable.

Only ways to really measure one is just how anomalously hot it is, and the duration.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
5 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Measuring rainfall or drought intensity as part of how anomalous a heatwave is makes little sense. Same can be said with sunshine as hottest temperatures require sunshine in almost all cases I can think of. Droughts can persist into less warm periods not part of a heatwave.

I mean the clue is in the word "heat" wave, so temperatures are measured not rainfall. You can get rain in the middle of quite potent heatwaves in oceanic or a lot of semi arid climates via thunderstorms, e.g August 2020. June 2023 less extreme example, which infact can make a month even more exciting or notable.

Only ways to really measure one is just how anomalously hot it is, and the duration.

Exactly my line of thought. Measuring precipitation will give undue weight to heatwaves that occured in overall dry years without them necessarily deserving it e.g. July 2013, July 2016, June 2010 to name a few.

BTW, to all the 1976 fans who would want this considered, 1976 would not even rank first in the averages as June/July 2018 was the most intensely dry period ever recorded, not the 1976 heatwave. It'd be 2nd or 3rd for sure though. August 1995 could also end up higher as that was also a shockingly dry period. Summer 1995 was overall drier than summer 1976 as a whole.

5 hours ago, WYorksWeather said:

In any case, I don't think we'll have to wait too long for a heatwave that will objectively smash 1976's remaining longevity records. I'll pencil it in for before 2030.

I agree but I don't think that'll change the mind of those emotionally attached to 1976; they'll find some other metric to say 1976 was still the best even if, say, "July 2024" recorded 18 or 19 consecutive days above 30.0°C, or god forbid even more, or if say "May 2024"-"August 2024" were to beat June-July 2018 (not 1976) for the most intensely dry period ever recorded. I'm pretty sure even 2022 ended up beating 1976 for the overall driest 6-month period ever recorded, but don't hold me to that one.

I think the emotional attachment can be explained by 1976 being relatively far more severe at the time it occured and this sticking in the minds of those who experienced it or got first hand accounts. Back then 35.9°C was the third hottest day ever recorded, so recording that many days above 34°C, especially in a row was like recording several days in a row of 37-39°C now, and recording 16 days of 32.2°C was like recording that many days above 34°C now. Also the far more devastating effect the underlying drought had on infrastructure. Not to mention, even after the heatwave, it largely still remained quite hot and dry, even into August without being as dramatically hot as the earlier heatwave, so this extended hot and dry period will have also stuck in the minds of those who experienced it and made the memory of 1976 feel far longer than it already was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Exactly my line of thought. Measuring precipitation will give undue weight to heatwaves that occured in overall dry years without them necessarily deserving it e.g. July 2013, July 2016, June 2010 to name a few.

BTW, to all the 1976 fans who would want this considered, 1976 would not even rank first in the averages as June/July 2018 was the most intensely dry period ever recorded, not the 1976 heatwave. It'd be 2nd or 3rd for sure though. August 1995 could also end up higher as that was also a shockingly dry period. Summer 1995 was overall drier than summer 1976 as a whole.

I agree but I don't think that'll change the mind of those emotionally attached to 1976; they'll find some other metric to say 1976 was still the best even if, say, "July 2024" recorded 18 or 19 consecutive days above 30.0°C, or god forbid even more, or if say "May 2024"-"August 2024" were to beat June-July 2018 (not 1976) for the most intensely dry period ever recorded. I'm pretty sure even 2022 ended up beating 1976 for the overall driest 6-month period ever recorded, but don't hold me to that one.

I think the emotional attachment can be explained by 1976 being relatively far more severe at the time it occured and this sticking in the minds of those who experienced it or got first hand accounts. Back then 35.9°C was the third hottest day ever recorded, so recording that many days above 34°C, especially in a row was like recording several days in a row of 37-39°C now, and recording 16 days of 32.2°C was like recording that many days above 34°C now. Also the far more devastating effect the underlying drought had on infrastructure. Not to mention, even after the heatwave, it largely still remained quite hot and dry, even into August without being as dramatically hot as the earlier heatwave, so this extended hot and dry period will have also stuck in the minds of those who experienced it and made the memory of 1976 feel far longer than it already was.

Yep, which of course does make me wonder what a 1976-style event for longevity would be like now. That was probably a 1 in 100 year heatwave at the time, and we've probably not had enough time to experience one in the last 10-15 years, i.e. we can't fully constrain what an equivalent heatwave could do now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
3 hours ago, WYorksWeather said:

Yep, which of course does make me wonder what a 1976-style event for longevity would be like now. That was probably a 1 in 100 year heatwave at the time, and we've probably not had enough time to experience one in the last 10-15 years, i.e. we can't fully constrain what an equivalent heatwave could do now.

Despite climate change, I don't think a 1976 repeat now would have intensely higher temperatures. I think we'd see a few days of >36°C, and perhaps one or two >37°C, but nothing close to record breakers like 2003 and onwards. I just don't see anywhere achieving much more than 37°C with that easterly breeze. Of course, this is in the current climate, and as time goes on, the absolute extreme a 1976 would achieve will increase.

Instead, I think the main difference would be much, much longer above 34°C at a time, and overall considerably longer above 30.0°C.

As an example, here's a modified version of a hypothetical heatwave I drew up a few days ago which is how I imagine a 1976 level event in the present day going:

July 2024 heatwave:

8th: 32.2°C Usk
9th: 33.8°C Porthmadog
10th: 35.4°C Ibsley
11th: 34.9°C Yeovilton
12th: 34.8°C Northolt
13th: 35.9°C Porthmadog
14th: 36.6°C Porthmadog
15th: 34.5°C Cambridge
16th: 34.2°C Marham
17th: 33.4°C Writtle
18th: 34.6°C Wiggonholt
19th: 37.2°C Wisley
20th: 36.8°C Charlwood
21st: 34.9°C Charlwood
22nd: 35.5°C Charlwood
23rd: 36.9°C Charlwood
24th: 35.3°C Herstmonceux
25th: 35.8°C Frittenden
26th: 34.1°C Kew Gardens
27th: 33.5°C St James's Park
28th: 32.7°C Heathrow
29th: 35.7°C Benson
30th: 37.6°C East Malling
31st: 31.2°C Cavendish

NOTE: Not a real forecast. I don't actually expect something of quite this severity to strike in July this year. This is just an example.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Despite climate change, I don't think a 1976 repeat now would have intensely higher temperatures. I think we'd see a few days of >36°C, and perhaps one or two >37°C, but nothing close to record breakers like 2003 and onwards. I just don't see anywhere achieving much more than 37°C with that easterly breeze. Of course, this is in the current climate, and as time goes on, the absolute extreme a 1976 would achieve will increase.

Instead, I think the main difference would be much, much longer above 34°C at a time, and overall considerably longer above 30.0°C.

As an example, here's a modified version of a hypothetical heatwave I drew up a few days ago which is how I imagine a 1976 level event in the present day going:

July 2024 heatwave:

8th: 32.2°C Usk
9th: 33.8°C Porthmadog
10th: 35.4°C Ibsley
11th: 34.9°C Yeovilton
12th: 34.8°C Northolt
13th: 35.9°C Porthmadog
14th: 36.6°C Porthmadog
15th: 34.5°C Cambridge
16th: 34.2°C Marham
17th: 33.4°C Writtle
18th: 34.6°C Wiggonholt
19th: 37.2°C Wisley
20th: 36.8°C Charlwood
21st: 34.9°C Charlwood
22nd: 35.5°C Charlwood
23rd: 36.9°C Charlwood
24th: 35.3°C Herstmonceux
25th: 35.8°C Frittenden
26th: 34.1°C Kew Gardens
27th: 33.5°C St James's Park
28th: 32.7°C Heathrow
29th: 35.7°C Benson
30th: 37.6°C East Malling
31st: 31.2°C Cavendish

NOTE: Not a real forecast. I don't actually expect something of quite this severity to strike in July this year. This is just an example.

I'd tend to agree with this, with the only proviso being that I also think you could get a longer extended warm period, that meets heatwave criteria, but is not otherwise that exceptional. I do wonder when we'll first see, as an example, a full 30-day period which exceeds 28C consecutively (if we haven't already)? A month like that, even without any exceptional overnight lows (say averaging 12-15C), could well give us our first 20C CET month in either July or August, if it was mostly high 20s and low 30s with only a couple of days in the mid or high 30s.

Anyway, just a thought. I have no doubt that by 2030 there'll be quite a few more contenders for this competition...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

What if there is a cold spell version of this competition? It would be fun to nominate cold spells of the past. It would rely on accurate snowfall totals though. It would be fun to see 1947, 1963, 1979, 1986, 1995, 2010 etc go against each-other, based on snowfall accumulations, depth of cold and longevity. I think this data may be harder to source than maximum and minimum temperatures though. I'm not sure. Also, if you could, I'd probably allow people to nominate at least 2 spells and also have a slightly longer voting period so we don't miss any iconic spells by chance/lack of time.

Posted

What is the hype about 1976? This one is mentioned by the general public and not just weather enthusiasts but you never hear of 1995 even though I’m fairly sure it was drier and had a hotter July and August, or July 2006 which is the hottest month on record. 1976 was an impressive heatwave but it wasn’t the ONLY impressive heatwave clearly as stated in this thread. It’s really strange.

Posted

I don't think anyone is suggesting that 1976 was the only impressive heatwave, far from it, and yes, some of us who are old enough to remember that far back may be looking back at 1976 through rose-tinted spectacles or sun glasses. We have certainly had higher temperatures in recent years than in 1976 and yes, July 2006 was hotter than 1976 although Philip Eden notes that this was the hottest calendar month rather than the the hottest 30-day period which came in 1976 and 1995. What I remember about 1976 was the length of the heatwave, from 22nd June to 26th August, and that's why I (and I suspect others) will always remember 1976 as the standout heatwave of my lifetime and regret that it was pitted against another impressive but different heatwave so early in this fab competition.     

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, TheOgre said:

What is the hype about 1976? This one is mentioned by the general public and not just weather enthusiasts but you never hear of 1995 even though I’m fairly sure it was drier and had a hotter July and August, or July 2006 which is the hottest month on record. 1976 was an impressive heatwave but it wasn’t the ONLY impressive heatwave clearly as stated in this thread. It’s really strange.

Nostalgia and as I said, relative feats. The temperatures achieved during 1976, not just the duration, were a significantly higher feat than today. 35°C was back then reached about once every 20 years at best and 34°C about once a decade or at least only once every several years, and 1976 went and had multiple days that were this hot, along with the number of days it did above 30.0°C overall. As I mentioned, July 3rd 1976 was at the time the third hottest reliable day ever recorded, and the day before at 35.7°C was the fourth hottest. This would've felt like to people at the time what the overall 31st July-August 13th 2020 period felt like to us, except longer, drier and relatively even worse.

3 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

from 22nd June to 26th August

This is also another reason as I pointed out. After the heatwave itself, the rest of July and August were still dry and very warm, although not to the same extent that we'd consider today. Along with that, the definition of a a heatwave has come some way since then as well. Because of the continued warm to hot and dry conditions, it would've relatively felt much longer than the actual extreme temperatures were on the ground for. It's a bit like the other less notable heatwaves in July 2022 and August 2022 adding to that summer being overall extremely hot on top of the outright 40°C heat spike. It stayed very warm to outright notable heatwave conditions again in many areas near-continuously for over a month, and was also hideously dry over that time.

Eventually, as the generation that experienced 1976 or got first-hand accounts declines as an overall percentage of the population, 1976 will gradually fade into distant history and will be, well, not forgotten as it'll always be a milestone, but not talked about anymore, a bit like what 1911 and 1932, and perhaps some of the summers in the 40s and 50s are to us today. Instead, another milestone heatwave like August 1995, August 2003 or July 2006 will take its place in the generation that experienced or had first-hand accounts of those, even when those heatwaves begin to be eclipsed like 1976, and eventually the cycle will repeat again, and I suspect with my generation it'll be August 2020 and July-August 2022 that end up as the milestone heatwaves that are always mentioned even as their feats are being eclipsed into the 2040s and beyond. Then with the generation after mine, it'll be the next big heatwave or cluster of heatwaves later in the 2020s or 2030s that breaks the all-time record again or number of days above x degrees, or both if it's horrific enough. The difference will be though, before my generation or perhaps the one before mine, each generation really only had one really serious heatwave to be their milestone: July-August 1911, August 1932, June and August 1947 (non-linearity ftw 🤣), June 1957, summer 1976 and then August 1995, or really that summer as a whole. Now, the generation before mine has both August 2003 and July 2006 to choose from to be the milestone, and then my generation has summer 2018, July 2019, August 2020, July-August 2022 and perhaps even September 2023, and god knows what else after that 🤔

Side note, the more astute of you may notice that I neglected to mention August 1990 as a milestone heatwave. Yeah, I blame summer 1995 for occuring so soon after it that in terms of the associated drought, length and the summer as a whole that it totally overshadowed August 1990 despite the record break for that generation and August 1990 has largely been forgotten despite being a record breaker. When's the last time you saw someone mentioning how hot August 1990 was? Can't say I've seen anyone mention it, ever 🤷‍♂️ If August 1995 didn't happen, at least not so soon after, then August 1990 probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as forgotten.

5 hours ago, TheOgre said:

but you never hear of 1995 even though I’m fairly sure it was drier and had a hotter July and August, or July 2006 which is the hottest month on record.

To be fair to 1976 here, July/August 1995 did not achieve the same temperature extremes as June/July 1976, it's not even close really. July/August 1995 had one day above 35°C and another above 34°C, and the rest was "just" an obscenely, ridiculously long heatwave mostly above 30°C but only a handful of days above 33°C. With July 2006, it did achieve quite comparable temperature extremes, even exceeding June/July 1976's absolute maximum, but overall was not quite as intensely hot and wasn't as long as either June/July 1976 or July/August 1995. July 2006 ended up the hottest month on record because of another earlier heatwave in the month before the main one that is in this competition that IIRC had a fair few days above 33°C and at least a week over 30°C. Without that earlier heatwave, July 2006 would not have been as hot as August 1995, which to my knowledge was the previous hottest month, with "just" the main course 36.5°C maximum heatwave. Having said that though, yes, August 1995 is the driest August on record, some distance drier than 1947 and 2003, and summer 1995 as a whole was drier than summer 1976 which I'm almost certain would make it the driest summer ever recorded on reliable terms. July 2006 was close as well and is one of the driest months ever recorded. I have no idea where June, July and August 1976 sit individually as calendar months as they all include non-heatwave periods and for that reason likely miss out on being among the absolute driest ever known.

And of course, as to give due credit, June 2018 is the driest ever recorded (well, June 1893 may have been drier, but that was before modern cataloging began), and the period June-July 2018 is the most intensely dry period on record with many stations across the south and East Anglia recording just a few percent of average rainfall for the entire period, and some stations recording none at all through June and much of July. July 2018 still ended as the near enough joint-hottest month ever recorded alongside July 2006 due to the repetitive heatwaves almost all month despite not reaching the same extreme as July 2006, but summer 2018 was prevented from being a complete disaster from the very wet low spring before it. And of course, August 2018 was considerably less extreme than June and July so summer 2018 as a whole avoided being the hottest.

• Insightful 1

Posted

July 2022 vs June/July 2018

Welcome all to the first match of the Quarterfinals! To kick this round off, we have July 2022, holder of the hottest day on record, sponsored by @Summer of 95, against June/July 2018, part of the joint-hottest month ever recorded, sponsored by @Sun Chaser!

With that, let's begin the Quarterfinals!

GO!

July 2022

Daily maxima:
16th: 29.1°C Heathrow, Kew Gardens
17th: 33.0°C Harwarden Airport
18th: 38.2°C Pitsford
19th: 40.3°C Waddington, Coningsby
20th: 30.5°C Lingwood

Daily minima:
16th: 15.5°C Portland
17th: 17.8°C Milford Haven
18th: 20.4°C Emley Moor
19th: 26.8°C Shirburn Model Farm
20th: 22.1°C Edge (yes that's a real place)
21st: 18.9°C Cambridge (Botanical)

Total days of heatwave: 5
Total days above 30.0°C: 4
Total days above 34.0°C: 2
Total days above 36.0°C: 2
Hottest day: 40.3°C
Warmest night: 26.8°C
Average daily maximum: 34.2°C
Average daily minimum: 20.3°C
All-time record break: Yes (1.6°C)

June/July 2018

Daily maxima:
25th: 30.1°C Hampton
26th: 31.0°C Machyllneth
27th: 31.9°C Porthmadog
28th: 33.0°C Porthmadog
29th: 32.5°C Porthmadog
30th: 30.0°C Cromdale
1st: 31.9°C Ringmer
2nd: 31.2°C Bournemouth
3rd: 30.1°C Porthmadog
4th: 29.1°C Giant's Causeway
5th: 31.2°C Coton-in-the-Elms
6th: 30.9°C Heathrow
7th: 31.5°C Heathrow, East Malling, Charlwood
8th: 31.6°C Coton-in-the-Elms
9th: 30.7°C Heathrow

Daily minima:
25th: 15.1°C Mumbles Head
26th: 17.3°C Mumbles Head
27th: 18.2°C Llanfynydd
28th: 17.2°C Glen Ogle
29th: 17.3°C Mumbles Head
30th: 17.4°C Killowen
1st: 18.1°C St Catherines
2nd: 20.6°C St Catherines
3rd: 18.0°C Hayling Island
4th: 17.4°C Mumbles Head
5th: 17.2°C Oxford, Ross-on-Wye
6th: 17.5°C Shanklin
7th: 18.5°C Heathrow
8th: 20.1°C St Catherines
9th: 19.5°C Slapton
10th: 17.9°C Mumbles Head

Total days of heatwave: 15
Total days above 30.0°C: 14
Total days above 34.0°C: 0
Total days above 36.0°C: 0
Hottest day: 33.0°C
Warmest night: 20.6°C
Average daily maximum: 31.1°C
Average daily minimum: 18.0°C
All-time record break: No

Score

Total days of heatwave: June/July 2018 (0-1)
Total days above 30.0°C: June/July 2018 (0-2)
Total days above 34.0°C: July 2022 (1-2)
Total days above 36.0°C: July 2022 (2-2)
Hottest day: July 2022 (3-2)
Warmest night: July 2022 (4-2)
Average daily maximum: July 2022 (5-2)
Average daily minimum: July 2022 (6-2)
All-time record break: July 2022 (7-2)

Final score: July 2022 7-2 June/July 2018

July 2022 wins!

In an expected victory, July 2022 has added another wipeout to its resume. Congratulations Summer of 95, July 2022 is advancing to the semifinals! Bad luck Sun Chaser, June/July 2018 is off home to Porthmadog 😆

That concludes today's match. Tomorrow's match will be August 2020 vs August 2003 at 4pm, rescheduled from the original 3pm. Who do you think will win this match? 🥳

• Like 1

Posted

Latest stats:

Semifinalists:
July 2022

Total points (highest to lowest):
July 2022: 20
July 2019: 18
August 1911: 15
July 2006: 14
June/July 2018: 13
August 1995: 13
August 2003: 13
August 1932: 13
August 1947: 12
August 2020: 12
June 2017: 11
August 1990: 10
June/July 1976: 10
June 1957: 9
August 2022: 8
August 1997: 8
July 2016: 7
May/June 1947: 7
May 1944: 5
June 2022: 4
July 1959: 4
September 2016: 4
August 1955: 3
September/October 2011: 3
August/September 1906: 3
September 2023: 2
July 1983: 2
May/June 1978: 2
August 1975: 2
July 2013: 2
September 1973: 1
July 1959: 1
June 1995: 1
May 1922: 1
July 1923: 1
August 1930: 1
June 2010: 1
July 2014: 1
June 2023: 0
July 2021: 0
July 1921: 0

Eliminated:
August/September 1906 (Round 1)
June 1995 (Round 1)
July 1921 (Round 1)
May 1922 (Round 1)
July 1923 (Round 1)
August 1930 (Round 1)
June 2010 (Round 1)
September/October 2011 (Round 1)
July 2013 (Round 1)
July 2014 (Round 1)
August 1955 (Round 1)
September 2016 (Round 1)
July 1959 (Round 1)
August 1959 (Round 1)
September 1973 (Round 1)
August 1975 (Round 1)
July 2021 (Round 1)
July 1983 (Round 1)
June 2023 (Round 1)
September 2023 (Round 1)
August 1932 (Round 2)
June 1957 (Round 2)
August 1997 (Round 2)
June 2022 (Round 2)
August 2022 (Round 2)
August 1990 (Round 2)
May 1944 (Round 2)
June/July 1976 (Round 2)
May/June 1947 (Round 2)
July 2016 (Round 2)
June/July 2018 (Quarterfinals)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
6 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

July 2022 vs June/July 2018

Welcome all to the first match of the Quarterfinals! To kick this round off, we have July 2022, holder of the hottest day on record, sponsored by @Summer of 95, against June/July 2018, part of the joint-hottest month ever recorded, sponsored by @Sun Chaser!

With that, let's begin the Quarterfinals!

GO!

July 2022

Daily maxima:
16th: 29.1°C Heathrow, Kew Gardens
17th: 33.0°C Harwarden Airport
18th: 38.2°C Pitsford
19th: 40.3°C Waddington, Coningsby
20th: 30.5°C Lingwood

Daily minima:
16th: 15.5°C Portland
17th: 17.8°C Milford Haven
18th: 20.4°C Emley Moor
19th: 26.8°C Shirburn Model Farm
20th: 22.1°C Edge (yes that's a real place)
21st: 18.9°C Cambridge (Botanical)

Hottest day: 40.3°C
Warmest night: 26.8°C
Average daily maximum: 34.2°C
Average daily minimum: 20.3°C
All-time record break: Yes (1.6°C)

June/July 2018

Daily maxima:

Daily minima:

Score

Total days above 34.0°C: July 2022 (1-2)
Total days above 36.0°C: July 2022 (2-2)
Hottest day: July 2022 (3-2)
Warmest night: July 2022 (4-2)
Average daily maximum: July 2022 (5-2)
Average daily minimum: July 2022 (6-2)
All-time record break: July 2022 (7-2)

Final score: July 2022 7-2 June/July 2018

July 2022 wins!

In an expected victory, July 2022 has added another wipeout to its resume. Congratulations Summer of 95, July 2022 is advancing to the semifinals! Bad luck Sun Chaser, June/July 2018 is off home to Porthmadog 😆

That concludes today's match. Tomorrow's match will be August 2020 vs August 2003 at 4pm, rescheduled from the original 3pm. Who do you think will win this match? 🥳

!!! Can't argue with that. I'd say July 2022 could be considered a heatwave from around the 7th onwards as it stayed hot all the way through to the 20th, the run up is underrated I find. Loved 2022 almost as much as 2018 anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
On 05/01/2024 at 15:40, CryoraptorA303 said:

...As an example, here's a modified version of a hypothetical heatwave I drew up a few days ago which is how I imagine a 1976 level event in the present day going:

July 2024 heatwave

*Snip*

All very plausible, but for the couple of days near 27.5 C around the 13th, for which you've allowed an exception.

Posted

August 2020 vs August 2003

Welcome to today's quarterfinal match! For this match we have an intense August derby! In the home corner is August 2020, holder of the most 34°C days consecutively on record, sponsored by @LetItSnow!, taking on August 2003, holder of the hottest August day on record, sponsored by @Summer8906!

As we're running late, let's begin the match!

GO!

August 2020

Daily maxima:
6th: 30.1°C Wisley
7th: 36.4°C Heathrow, Kew Gardens
8th: 34.6°C Charlwood
9th: 34.0°C Herstmonceux
10th: 35.7°C Charlwood
11th: 36.2°C Charlwood
12th: 35.7°C Charlwood
13th: 29.8°C Porthmadog

Daily minima:
6th: 19.1°C St James's Park
7th: 18.4°C Hastings
8th: 22.3°C Langdon Bay
9th: 19.6°C Eastbourne
10th: 21.2°C Thorney Island
11th: 22.0°C Eastbourne
12th: 22.0°C St James's Park
13th: 21.0°C Hayling Island
14th: 19.1°C Ventnor Park

Total days of heatwave: 8
Total days above 30.0°C: 7
Total days above 34.0°C: 6
Hottest day: 36.4°C
Warmest night: 22.3°C
Average daily maximum: 34.1°C
Average daily minimum: 20.5°C

August 2003

Daily maxima:
3rd: 30.5°C Greenwich
4th: 32.5°C Wisley, Kew Gardens
5th: 33.9°C Wisley
6th: 36.4°C Gravesend
7th: 31.6°C East Malling
8th: 32.3°C Wisley
9th: 36.0°C Kew Gardens, Greeenwich
10th: 38.5°C Faversham
11th: 34.7°C Gravesend
12th: 32.0°C Greenwich
13th: 29.9°C Greenwich
14th: 29.2°C Kew Gardens
15th: 29.4°C Mickleham

Daily minima:
3rd: 16.4°C Lowestoft
4th: 18.2°C Hastings
5th: 22.3°C St Mawgan
6th: 22.1°C Bexhil
7th: 20.3°C Herne Bay
8th: 19.9°C Ventnor Park
9th: 20.9°C Treknow
10th: 23.2°C Ventnor Park
11th: 22.0°C Bexhill
12th: 20.0°C Eastbourne
13th: 19.0°C Greenwich
14th: 17.3°C Torquay
15th: 16.2°C Herne Bay

Total days of heatwave: 13
Total days above 30.0°C: 10
Days above 34.0°C: 4
Days above 36.0°C: 3
Hottest day: 38.5°C
Warmest night: 23.2°C
Average daily maximum: 32.8°C
Average daily minimum: 18.4°C
All time record break: Yes (1.4°C)

Score

Total days of heatwave: August 2003 (0-1)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 2003 (0-2)
Total days above 34.0°C: August 2020 (1-2)
Total days above 36.0°C: August 2003 (1-3)
Hottest day: August 2003 (1-4)
Warmest night: August 2003 (1-5)
Average daily maximum: August 2020 (2-5)
Average daily minimum: August 2020 (3-5)
All-time record break: August 2003 (3-6)

Final score: August 2020 3-6 August 2003

August 2003 wins!

It looks like the monster that is August 2020 has been stopped by an even bigger monstrosity. August 2003 really is on another level. Congratulations Summer8906, August 2003 is through to the semifinals! Bad luck LetItSnow!, August 2020 is off home to Charlwood 😆

Tomorrow's match is August 1947 vs June 2017 at 3pm! Who do you think will win that match? 🥳

• Like 2

Posted

Latest stats:

Semifinalists:
July 2022
August 2003

August 2003: 19
August 2020: 15
August 1947: 12
June 2017: 11

Eliminated:
June 1995 (Round 1)
July 1921 (Round 1)
May 1922 (Round 1)
July 1923 (Round 1)
August 1930 (Round 1)
June 2010 (Round 1)
July 2013 (Round 1)
July 2014 (Round 1)
August 1955 (Round 1)
September 2016 (Round 1)
July 1959 (Round 1)
August 1959 (Round 1)
September 1973 (Round 1)
August 1975 (Round 1)
July 2021 (Round 1)
July 1983 (Round 1)
June 2023 (Round 1)
September 2023 (Round 1)
August 1932 (Round 2)
June 1957 (Round 2)
August 1997 (Round 2)
June 2022 (Round 2)
August 2022 (Round 2)
August 1990 (Round 2)
May 1944 (Round 2)
June/July 1976 (Round 2)
May/June 1947 (Round 2)
July 2016 (Round 2)
August 2020 (Quarterfinals)

Posted

August 1947 vs June 2017

Welcome all to today's quarterfinal match! We have August 1947, the sunniest August on record, sponsored by @MP-R, against June 2017, holder of the hottest June day of the 21st century so far, sponosored by @WYorksWeather!

With that, let's begin the match!

GO!

August 1947

Daily maxima:
13th: 28.9°C Oxford, Wisley, East Park (S'ton), Farnborough
14th: 30.0°C Bournemouth
15th: 32.2°C Bournemouth
16th: 33.9°C Bournemouth, East Park (S'ton)
17th: 33.9°C East Park (S'ton)
18th: 32.8°C East Park (S'ton)
19th: 30.6°C East Park (S'ton)
20th: 29.4°C Bournemouth, East Park (S'ton)

Daily minima:
13th: 17.8°C Margate
14th: 18.3°C Bude
15th: 18.3°C Various
16th: 20.6°C Falmouth
17th: 21.1°C Sidmouth
18th: 20.6°C Bournemouth, East Park (S'ton)
19th: 20.0°C Penzance
20th: 18.9°C Falmouth, Ilfracombe
21st: 18.9°C Mount Wise

Total days above 30.0°C: 6
Hottest day: 33.9°C
Warmest night: 21.1°C
Average daily maximum: 31.5°C
Average daily minimum: 19.4°C

June 2017

Daily maxima:
17th: 30.1°C Heathrow
18th: 32.1°C Hampton
19th: 32.5°C Hampton
20th: 31.5°C Seavington
21st: 34.5°C Heathrow

Daily minima:
17th: 16.5°C Thornes Park
18th: 18.3°C Cromer
19th: 20.0°C Ventnor Park
20th: 19.6°C Ventnor Park
21st: 19.7°C Margam
22nd: 20.0°C Weybourne

Total days above 30.0°C: 5
Total days above 34.0°C: 1
Hottest day: 34.5°C
Warmest night: 20.0°C
Average daily maximum: 32.1°C
Average daily minimum: 19.0°C

Score

Total days of heatwave: August 1947 (1-0)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 1947 (2-0)
Total days above 34.0°C: June 2017 (2-1)
Total days above 36.0°C: It's a tie! (2-1)
Hottest day: June 2017 (2-2)
Warmest night: August 1947 (3-2)
Average daily maximum: June 2017 (3-3)
Average daily minimum: August 1947 (4-3)
All-time record break: It's a tie! (4-3)

Final score: August 1947 4-3 June 2017

August 1947 wins!

In what was our closest match of the round so far, August 1947 has just prevailed by the skin of its teeth. Congratulations MP-R, August 1947 is advancing to the semifinals! Bad luck WYorksWeather, June 2017 is off home to London 😆

Tomorrow's match will be August 1911 vs July 2019 at 3pm! Who do you think will win that match? 🥳

Posted

Latest stats:

Semifinalists:
July 2022
August 2003
August 1947

August 1947: 16
June 2017: 14

Eliminated:
June 1995 (Round 1)
July 1921 (Round 1)
May 1922 (Round 1)
July 1923 (Round 1)
August 1930 (Round 1)
June 2010 (Round 1)
July 2013 (Round 1)
July 2014 (Round 1)
August 1955 (Round 1)
September 2016 (Round 1)
July 1959 (Round 1)
August 1959 (Round 1)
September 1973 (Round 1)
August 1975 (Round 1)
July 2021 (Round 1)
July 1983 (Round 1)
June 2023 (Round 1)
September 2023 (Round 1)
August 1932 (Round 2)
June 1957 (Round 2)
August 1997 (Round 2)
June 2022 (Round 2)
August 2022 (Round 2)
August 1990 (Round 2)
May 1944 (Round 2)
June/July 1976 (Round 2)
May/June 1947 (Round 2)
July 2016 (Round 2)
June 2017 (Quarterfinals)

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

August 1947 vs June 2017

Welcome all to today's quarterfinal match! We have August 1947, the sunniest August on record, sponsored by @MP-R, against June 2017, holder of the hottest June day of the 21st century so far, sponosored by @WYorksWeather!

With that, let's begin the match!

GO!

August 1947

Daily maxima:
13th: 28.9°C Oxford, Wisley, East Park (S'ton), Farnborough
14th: 30.0°C Bournemouth
15th: 32.2°C Bournemouth
16th: 33.9°C Bournemouth, East Park (S'ton)
17th: 33.9°C East Park (S'ton)
18th: 32.8°C East Park (S'ton)
19th: 30.6°C East Park (S'ton)
20th: 29.4°C Bournemouth, East Park (S'ton)

Daily minima:
13th: 17.8°C Margate
14th: 18.3°C Bude
15th: 18.3°C Various
16th: 20.6°C Falmouth
17th: 21.1°C Sidmouth
18th: 20.6°C Bournemouth, East Park (S'ton)
19th: 20.0°C Penzance
20th: 18.9°C Falmouth, Ilfracombe
21st: 18.9°C Mount Wise

Hottest day: 33.9°C
Warmest night: 21.1°C
Average daily maximum: 31.5°C
Average daily minimum: 19.4°C

June 2017

Daily maxima:

Daily minima:

Score

Total days of heatwave: August 1947 (1-0)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 1947 (2-0)
Total days above 34.0°C: June 2017 (2-1)
Total days above 36.0°C: It's a tie! (2-1)
Warmest night: August 1947 (3-2)
Average daily minimum: August 1947 (4-3)

Final score: August 1947 4-3 June 2017

August 1947 wins!

In what was our closest match of the round so far, August 1947 has just prevailed by the skin of its teeth. Congratulations MP-R, August 1947 is advancing to the semifinals! Bad luck WYorksWeather, June 2017 is off home to London 😆

Tomorrow's match will be August 1911 vs July 2019 at 3pm! Who do you think will win that match? 🥳

Well, that's me done. Congrats to August 1947. Best of luck to the other quarterfinalists!

Posted

August 1911 vs July 2019

Welcome all to today's quarterfinals match! For today's match, we have August 1911, part of the sunniest summer on record, sponsored by @Harry's House, up against July 2019, sponsored by @R Alto!

With that being said, let's begin the match!

GO!

August 1911

Daily maxima:
8th - 31.1°C Kew Gardens
9th - 36.7°C Raunds (Resolution low - 35.3C at Cambridge Botanical means I trust it though)
10th - 30.5°C East Park (S'ton) (35.7C at Wisley disqualified)
11th - 29.5°C Kew Gardens
12th - 32.8°C Cambridge Botanical
13th - 33.3°C Cambridge Botanical & Bath
14th - 32.3°C Wisley
15th - 29.7°C Wisley
16th - 26.3°C Ross-on-Wye - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted
17th - 28.9°C Ross-on-Wye
18th - 28.6°C Ross-on-Wye
19th - 28.2°C Wisley
20th - 29.4°C Cambridge Botanical
21st - 29.7°C Wisley disqualified - Frequent equipment failures?

Daily minima:
8th - 17.4°C Lowestoft
9th - 19.6°C Colwyn Bay
10th - 19.1°C Eastbourne
11th - 17.3°C Plymouth
12th - 20.5°C Plymouth
13th - 20.0°C Bognor Regis
14th - 20.0°C Victoria Park (Swansea)
15th - 17.8°C Plymouth
16th - 16.7°C Teignmouth
17th - 16.7°C Bognor Regis
18th - 17.3°C Cromer
19th - 16.4°C Eastbourne
20th - 16.1°C Lowestoft
21st - 18.3°C Bognor Regis

Total days of heatwave: 12
Days above 34.0°C: 1
Days above 36.0°C: 1
Hottest day: 36.7°C
Warmest night: 20.5°C
Average daily high: 30.6°C
Average daily low: 18.1°C
All-time record break: First reliable

July 2019

Daily maxima:
22nd: 30.5°C Cavendish
23rd: 33.9°C East Bergholt
24th: 34.3°C Writtle
25th: 38.7°C Cambridge (Botanical)
26th: 29.1°C Charsfield, Lingwood

Daily minima:
22nd: 18.6°C Newport (Shropshire), Chivenor
23rd: 19.1°C Cromer
24th: 21.3°C Faversham
25th: 20.7°C St James's Park
26th: 22.6°C Carlton-in-Cleveland
27th: 18.2°C Cawood

Total days above 36.0°C: 1
Hottest day: 38.7°C
Warmest night: 22.6°C
Average daily maximum: 33.3°C
Average daily minimum: 20.1°C
All-time record break: Yes (0.2°C)

Score

Total days of heatwave: August 1911 (1-0)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 1911 (2-0)
Total days above 34.0°C: July 2019 (2-1)
Total days above 36.0°C: It's a tie! (3-2)
Hottest day: July 2019 (3-3)
Warmest night: July 2019 (3-4)
Average daily maximum: July 2019 (3-5)
Average daily minimum: July 2019 (3-6)
All-time record break: 36.7°C was highest reliable temperature on record until 1990, however, we don't know by how much it surpassed the last record, or even if it did surpass previous heatwaves like July 1868 which may have just about reached 37°C in some scenarios, so as July 2019 broke a known contemporary record and achieved a temperature 2°C hotter than August 1911, July 2019 will be awarded the point (3-7)

Final score: August 1911 3-7 July 2019

July 2019 wins!

While August 1911 was certainly a monster for its time, it has unfortunately not held up and July 2019 achieves yet another large victory. Congratulations R Alto, July 2019 is through to the semifinals! Bad luck Harry's House, August 1911 is off home to Raunds 😆

Tomorrow's match will be the last of the round, August 1995 vs July 2006 at 3pm! Who do you think will win that match? 🥳

Edited by CryoraptorA303
  • Like 1

Posted

Apologies for being three hours late everyone 💩 The August 1995 vs July 2006 match will commence asap.

Posted

August 1995 vs July 2006

Welcome all to the final match of the quarterfinals! Apologies for gross lateness again 💩 For our last match we have August 1995, the hottest August on record, sponsored by @AderynCoch, taking on July 2006, the hottest July and summer month ever recorded, sponsored by @Row w! I feel like these two are going to give us one of the best matches of the tournament yet!

As we're extremely late, let's begin!

GO!

August 1995

Daily maxima:
24th: 29.0°C Kew Gardens
25th: 32.0°C Cheltenham
26th: 30.6°C Kinloss
27th: 30.9°C High Beach
28th: 29.3°C Mary St. Boltolph
29th: 33.4°C Boxworth
30th: 33.3°C Boxworth
31st: 33.0°C Boxworth
1st: 35.2°C Boxworth
2nd: 34.9°C Kew Gardens
3rd: 33.9°C Ibsley, Yeovilton
4th: 31.0°C Christchurch
5th: 30.0°C Ibsley
6th: 28.9°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
7th: 26.5°C Christchurch - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted
8th: 25.5°C East Bergholt - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted

9th: 28.0°C Ballater, Kelso
10th: 30.2°C Penhow
11th: 32.9°C Cheltenham
12th: 32.2°C Ditchingham, East Bergholt
13th: 28.2°C Southend
14th: 27.8°C Inchmarlo - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted (Crossway disqualified)
15th: 30.4°C Great Malvern
16th: 32.1°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
17th: 32.6°C Cheltenham
18th: 31.0°C Cheltenham
19th: 32.3°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
20th: 32.4°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
21st: 33.0°C Cheltenham
22nd: 33.6°C Cheltenham
23rd: 28.0°C Brede (Marlborough disqualified)

Daily minima:
24th: 16.4°C Crosby
25th: 17.8°C Sandown
26th: 19.5°C Bexhill
27th: 18.4°C Southend
28th: 18.1°C Southend
29th: 20.5°C Herne Bay
30th: 18.8°C Lincoln
31st: 19.8°C Eastbourne
1st: 21.4°C Sellafield
2nd: 22.7°C Hastings
3rd: 21.5°C Salcombe
4th: 20.7°C Tregastick
5th: 16.8°C Penzance
6th: 17.8°C Portland
7th: 17.2°C Herne Bay
8th: 16.5°C Pendennis
9th: 15.8°C Herne Bay
10th: 17.9°C Sandown
11th: 21.0°C Sandown
12th: 18.4°C Lossiemouth
13th: 19.2°C Greenwich
14th: 17.3°C Newquay
15th: 16.5°C Southend
16th: 18.7°C St Catherines
17th: 18.9°C Lizard
18th: 19.6°C Aberdaron
19th: 20.0°C Victoria Park (Swansea)
20th: 20.4°C Sidmouth
21st: 20.2°C Mumbles Head
22nd: 18.7°C Teignmouth
23rd: 18.5°C Flat Holm
24th: 17.1°C Treknow

Total days of heatwave: 28
Total days above 30.0°C: 22
Days above 34.0°C: 2
Days above 36.0°C: 0
Hottest day: 35.2°C
Warmest night: 22.7°C
Average daily high: 32.1°C
Average daily low: 18.8°C

July 2006

Daily maxima:
16th: 31.2°C High Beach
17th: 32.7°C Heathrow
18th: 33.7°C High Beach
19th: 36.5°C Wisley
20th: 33.1°C Santon Downham
21st: 33.2°C Aldenham School
22nd: 31.6°C Cambridge (NIAB)
23rd: 30.2°C Stradbroke
24th: 32.0°C Mickleham
25th: 34.1°C Charlwood
26th: 34.0°C Faversham
27th: 30.9°C Writtle
28th: 30.1°C East Bergholt
29th: 30.0°C Charsfield
30th: 28.2°C Houghton Hall

Daily minima:
16th: 16.4°C Margate
17th: 18.9°C Eastbourne
18th: 20.1°C Ventnor Park
19th: 22.3°C Ventnor Park
20th: 20.5°C Cambridge (Botanical)
21st: 18.6°C Hunstanton
22nd: 20.4°C Hunstanton
23rd: 18.1°C Cambridge (NIAB), Solent (Portsmouth)
24th: 17.4°C Hunstanton, Cromer, Margate
25th: 18.5°C St James's Park
26th: 21.2°C St James's Park
27th: 20.5°C Hampton
28th: 17.9°C St James's Park, Margate
29th: 18.7°C Skegness
30th: 19.3°C Margate
31st: 18.0°C Bognor Regis

Total days above 34.0°C: 3
Total days above 36.0°C: 1
Hottest day: 36.5°C
Average daily minimum: 19.2°C

Score

Total days of heatwave: August 1995 (1-0)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 1995 (2-0)
Total days above 34.0°C: July 2006 (2-1)
Total days above 36.0°C: July 2006 (2-2)
Hottest day: July 2006 (2-3)
Warmest night: August 1995 (3-3)
Average daily maximum: It's a tie! (4-4)
Average daily minimum: July 2006 (4-5)
All-time record break: It's a tie! (4-5)

Final score: August 1995 4-5 July 2006

July 2006 wins!

What a match that was! So close! 🥳 July 2006 may have perservered in the end, but August 1995 did not go down without a fight! Congratulations Row w, July 2006 is advancing to the semifinals! Bad luck AderynCoch, August 1995 is off home to Boxworth 😆

And there we have it, the quarterfinals are over! The final stats will be posted soon, apologies for not updating them yesterday. I did write it out, but I never posted it 💩

And of course, in case you think I've forgotten, we still have the quarterfinalists' finals to have! The date of this will be announced with the final stats. See you then 🫡

• Like 1

Posted

Quarterfinals stats:

Semifinalists:
August 1947 @MP-R
August 2003 @Summer8906
July 2006 @Row w
July 2019 @R Alto
July 2022 @Summer of 95

Congratulations for getting to the semifinals! 👏

Eliminated:
August 1911
August 1995
June 2017
June/July 2018
August 2020

Bad luck if your nominee was eliminated, but congrats for making it this far anyway 👏

Total points (highest to lowest, whole tournament):
July 2019: 25
July 2006: 19
August 1911: 18
August 1995: 17
June 2017: 14

Eliminated overall (in order of appearance):
June 1995 (Round 1)
July 1921 (Round 1)
May 1922 (Round 1)
July 1923 (Round 1)
August 1930 (Round 1)
June 2010 (Round 1)
July 2013 (Round 1)
July 2014 (Round 1)
August 1955 (Round 1)
September 2016 (Round 1)
July 1959 (Round 1)
August 1959 (Round 1)
September 1973 (Round 1)
August 1975 (Round 1)
July 2021 (Round 1)
July 1983 (Round 1)
June 2023 (Round 1)
September 2023 (Round 1)
August 1932 (Round 2)
June 1957 (Round 2)
August 1997 (Round 2)
June 2022 (Round 2)
August 2022 (Round 2)
August 1990 (Round 2)
May 1944 (Round 2)
June/July 1976 (Round 2)
May/June 1947 (Round 2)
July 2016 (Round 2)
August 1911 (Quarterfinals)
August 1995 (Quarterfinals)

Thank you all for your continued involvement! 🫡👏

Quarterfinalists' finals

As these heatwaves have made it this far, it is only fair to officially recognise their feats. The losers of the quarterfinals will have one last free-for-all. We will play five separate rounds, with the winner of the first round finishing in 6th place, and the winner of the second finishing in 7th, and so on, until we have only two contestants left, who will finish in 9th and 10th. Each heatwave will present its profile, and the score taken for the criteria. Once a heatwave wins, it will be removed from the list and the score re-taken until the last two contestants are left, the winner of that score finishing in 9th and the loser in 10th.

This match will take place on Sunday 14th at 6pm! Once the match is over, the semifinals will begin and the two matches of that round decided.

I'll see you all then. Until then, adios 🫡

• Like 1

Posted

Quarterfinalists' Final

Welcome all to the Quarterfinalists' final! In this match, the five eliminated heatwaves of this round will go head to head in one last free-for-all to determine the sixth through tenth hottest heatwaves of all time!

The contenders are:

August 1911 @Harry's House
August 1995 @AderynCoch
June 2017 @WYorksWeather
June/July 2018 @Sun Chaser
August 2020 @LetItSnow!

We will play four rounds. The winner of Round 1 will win sixth place, the winner of Round 2 seventh, and so on.

Points achieved by the winners of each round and during Round 4 will be added to the points total of the whole tournament. Points achieved by the losers of rounds 1 through 3 will not be counted.

With that out of the way, let's begin the Quarterfinalists' Final!

GO!

ROUND 1 - FREE-FOR-ALL!

August 1911 (Harry's House)

Daily maxima:
8th - 31.1°C Kew Gardens
9th - 36.7°C Raunds (Resolution low - 35.3C at Cambridge Botanical means I trust it though)
10th - 30.5°C East Park (S'ton) (35.7C at Wisley disqualified)
11th - 29.5°C Kew Gardens
12th - 32.8°C Cambridge Botanical
13th - 33.3°C Cambridge Botanical & Bath
14th - 32.3°C Wisley
15th - 29.7°C Wisley
16th - 26.3°C Ross-on-Wye - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted
17th - 28.9°C Ross-on-Wye
18th - 28.6°C Ross-on-Wye
19th - 28.2°C Wisley
20th - 29.4°C Cambridge Botanical
21st - 29.7°C Wisley disqualified - Frequent equipment failures?

Daily minima:
8th - 17.4°C Lowestoft
9th - 19.6°C Colwyn Bay
10th - 19.1°C Eastbourne
11th - 17.3°C Plymouth
12th - 20.5°C Plymouth
13th - 20.0°C Bognor Regis
14th - 20.0°C Victoria Park (Swansea)
15th - 17.8°C Plymouth
16th - 16.7°C Teignmouth
17th - 16.7°C Bognor Regis
18th - 17.3°C Cromer
19th - 16.4°C Eastbourne
20th - 16.1°C Lowestoft
21st - 18.3°C Bognor Regis

Total days of heatwave: 12
Days above 34.0°C: 1
Days above 36.0°C: 1
Hottest day: 36.7°C
Warmest night: 20.5°C
Average daily high: 30.6°C
Average daily low: 18.1°C
All-time record break: First reliable

August 1995 (AderynCoch)

Daily maxima:
24th: 29.0°C Kew Gardens
25th: 32.0°C Cheltenham
26th: 30.6°C Kinloss
27th: 30.9°C High Beach
28th: 29.3°C Mary St. Boltolph
29th: 33.4°C Boxworth
30th: 33.3°C Boxworth
31st: 33.0°C Boxworth
1st: 35.2°C Boxworth
2nd: 34.9°C Kew Gardens
3rd: 33.9°C Ibsley, Yeovilton
4th: 31.0°C Christchurch
5th: 30.0°C Ibsley
6th: 28.9°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
7th: 26.5°C Christchurch - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted
8th: 25.5°C East Bergholt - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted

9th: 28.0°C Ballater, Kelso
10th: 30.2°C Penhow
11th: 32.9°C Cheltenham
12th: 32.2°C Ditchingham, East Bergholt
13th: 28.2°C Southend
14th: 27.8°C Inchmarlo - Not heatwave conditions, however, an exception is granted (Crossway disqualified)
15th: 30.4°C Great Malvern
16th: 32.1°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
17th: 32.6°C Cheltenham
18th: 31.0°C Cheltenham
19th: 32.3°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
20th: 32.4°C Mayflower Park (S'ton)
21st: 33.0°C Cheltenham
22nd: 33.6°C Cheltenham
23rd: 28.0°C Brede (Marlborough disqualified)

Daily minima:
24th: 16.4°C Crosby
25th: 17.8°C Sandown
26th: 19.5°C Bexhill
27th: 18.4°C Southend
28th: 18.1°C Southend
29th: 20.5°C Herne Bay
30th: 18.8°C Lincoln
31st: 19.8°C Eastbourne
1st: 21.4°C Sellafield
2nd: 22.7°C Hastings
3rd: 21.5°C Salcombe
4th: 20.7°C Tregastick
5th: 16.8°C Penzance
6th: 17.8°C Portland
7th: 17.2°C Herne Bay
8th: 16.5°C Pendennis
9th: 15.8°C Herne Bay
10th: 17.9°C Sandown
11th: 21.0°C Sandown
12th: 18.4°C Lossiemouth
13th: 19.2°C Greenwich
14th: 17.3°C Newquay
15th: 16.5°C Southend
16th: 18.7°C St Catherines
17th: 18.9°C Lizard
18th: 19.6°C Aberdaron
19th: 20.0°C Victoria Park (Swansea)
20th: 20.4°C Sidmouth
21st: 20.2°C Mumbles Head
22nd: 18.7°C Teignmouth
23rd: 18.5°C Flat Holm
24th: 17.1°C Treknow

Total days of heatwave: 28
Total days above 30.0°C: 22
Days above 34.0°C: 2
Days above 36.0°C: 0
Hottest day: 35.2°C
Warmest night: 22.7°C
Average daily high: 32.1°C
Average daily low: 18.8°C

June 2017 (WYorksWeather)

Daily maxima:

Daily minima:

June/July 2018 (Sun Chaser)

Daily maxima:

Daily minima:

August 2020 (LetItSnow!)

Daily maxima:
6th: 30.1°C Wisley
7th: 36.4°C Heathrow, Kew Gardens
8th: 34.6°C Charlwood
9th: 34.0°C Herstmonceux
10th: 35.7°C Charlwood
11th: 36.2°C Charlwood
12th: 35.7°C Charlwood
13th: 29.8°C Porthmadog

Daily minima:
6th: 19.1°C St James's Park
7th: 18.4°C Hastings
8th: 22.3°C Langdon Bay
9th: 19.6°C Eastbourne
10th: 21.2°C Thorney Island
11th: 22.0°C Eastbourne
12th: 22.0°C St James's Park
13th: 21.0°C Hayling Island
14th: 19.1°C Ventnor Park

Total days above 30.0°C: 7
Total days above 34.0°C: 6
Hottest day: 36.4°C
Average daily maximum: 34.1°C
Average daily minimum: 20.5°C

ROUND 1 SCORE:

Total days of heatwave: August 1995 (0-1-0-0-0)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 1995 (0-2-0-0-0)
Total days above 34.0°C: August 2020 (0-2-0-0-1)
Total days above 36.0°C: August 2020 (0-2-0-0-2)
Hottest day: August 1911 (1-2-0-0-2)
Warmest night: August 1995 (1-3-0-0-2)
Average daily maximum: August 2020 (1-3-0-0-3)
Average daily minimum: August 2020 (1-3-0-0-4)
All-time record break: August 1911 (2-3-0-0-4)

ROUND 1 FINAL SCORE: August 1911 2 - August 1995 3 - June 2017 0 - June/July 2018 0 - August 2020 4

Congratulations LetItSnow!, August 2020 is the sixth hottest heatwave of all time!

ROUND 2 - August 1911 vs August 1995 vs June 2017 vs June/July 2018

ROUND 2 SCORE:

Total days of heatwave: August 1995 (0-1-0-0)
Total days above 30.0°C: August 1995 (0-2-0-0)
Total days above 34.0°C: August 1995 (0-3-0-0)
Total days above 36.0°C: August 1911 (1-3-0-0)
Hottest day: August 1911 (2-3-0-0)
Warmest night: August 1995 (2-4-0-0)
Average daily maximum: August 1995 and June 2017 (2-5-1-0)
Average daily minimum: June 2017 (2-5-2-0)
All-time record break: August 1911 (3-5-2-0)

ROUND 2 FINAL SCORE: August 1911 3 - August 1995 5 - June 2017 2 - June/July 2018 0

Congratulations AderynCoch, August 1995 is the seventh hottest heatwave of all time!

ROUND 3 - August 1911 vs June 2017 vs June/July 2018

ROUND 3 SCORE:

Total days of heatwave: June/July 2018 (0-0-1)
Total days above 30.0°C: June/July 2018 (0-0-2)
Total days above 34.0°C: August 1911 and June 2017 (1-1-2)
Total days above 36.0°C: August 1911 (2-1-2)
Hottest day: August 1911 (3-1-2)
Warmest night: June/July 2018 (3-1-3)
Average daily maximum: June 2017 (3-2-3)
Average daily minimum: June 2017 (3-3-3)
All-time record break: August 1911 (4-3-3)

ROUND 3 FINAL SCORE: August 1911 4 - June 2017 3 - June/July 2018 3

Congratulations Harry's House, August 1911 is the eighth hottest heatwave of all time!

ROUND 4 - FIGHT FOR NINTH (June 2017 vs June/July 2018)

ROUND 4 SCORE:

Total days above 34.0°C: June 2017 (1-2)
Total days above 36.0°C: It's a tie! (1-2)
Warmest night: June/July 2018 (2-3)
Average daily minimum: June 2017 (4-3)

ROUND 4 FINAL SCORE: June 2017 4-3 June/July 2018

Congratulations WYorksWeather, June 2017 is the ninth hottest heatwave of all time!

Congratulations Sun Chaser, June/July 2018 is the tenth hottest heatwave of all-time!

With that, the quarterfinals are now over! Congratulations to all contestants for making it this far 👏 The latest stats and the semifinals schedule will be announced shortly.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Latest stats:

Semifinalists:
August 1947
August 2003
July 2006
July 2019
July 2022

Final positions:
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
6th: August 2020
7th: August 1995
8th: August 1911
9th: June 2017
10th: June/July 2018

Total points (highest to lowest, whole tournament):
July 2019: 25
August 1911: 22
August 1995: 22
August 2020: 19
July 2006: 19
June 2017: 18
June/July 2018: 16

Eliminated:
June 1995 (Round 1)
July 1921 (Round 1)
May 1922 (Round 1)
July 1923 (Round 1)
August 1930 (Round 1)
June 2010 (Round 1)
July 2013 (Round 1)
July 2014 (Round 1)
August 1955 (Round 1)
September 2016 (Round 1)
July 1959 (Round 1)
August 1959 (Round 1)
September 1973 (Round 1)
August 1975 (Round 1)
July 2021 (Round 1)
July 1983 (Round 1)
June 2023 (Round 1)
September 2023 (Round 1)
August 1932 (Round 2)
June 1957 (Round 2)
August 1997 (Round 2)
June 2022 (Round 2)
August 2022 (Round 2)
August 1990 (Round 2)
May 1944 (Round 2)
June/July 1976 (Round 2)
May/June 1947 (Round 2)
July 2016 (Round 2)
August 1911 (Quarterfinals)
August 1995 (Quarterfinals)

Posted

Hottest Heatwave of all time Championship - Semifinals

Welcome to the penultimate round of the Hottest Heatwave of All Time Championship, the Semifinals! In this round, we will have a three-way match between the three lowest scoring semifinalists, and a one-on-one between the two highest scorers. The winners of the matches will then be the two finalists. After these two matches, we will hold two further matches: A fight for fourth between the two losers of the three-way match, and a fight for third between the winner of the fight for fourth and the loser of the one-on-one match. All points achieved will be counted towards the overall score.

These will be the fixtures for the Semifinals:

August 1947 vs August 2003 vs July 2006 - Jan 15th 3pm

July 2019 vs July 2022 - Jan 16th 3pm

Fight for Fourth - Jan 17th 3pm

Fight for Third - Jan 18th 3pm

Who do you think the finalists will be? 🥳

• Thanks 1