Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

This scenario keeps getting churned out to some degree across the models . Good to see from the control. 😍😍. No 2 day Greenie high here !!

36D3132A-2F9E-4590-B407-5149DECF2475.png

52BA84B2-B4BC-47F9-9C3F-92FB260F573E.png

29F57239-8C4D-404E-AB89-180C49AF7185.png

DF270696-7050-4D62-9CC2-89C1EADAA352.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

God damn that is an insane control! Top 5 for me that.

No surprise by 18z, can always count on the pub run to cause a stir good or bad and we was due a little wobble on an OP run.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, Snowman. said:

God damn that is an insane control! Top 5 for me that.

No surprise by 18z, can always count on the pub run to cause a stir good or bad and we was due a little wobble on an OP run.

Still going for it .

8C121455-E152-4231-A194-1004726B6AB1.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

There's a 2m temperature range of 8C for London on 15th, which illustrates how volatile the situation is at that range:

image.thumb.png.41007bb63d931420849a0cc609e8acf6.png

That being said, the highest temperature is only 6C, so certainly couldn't be described as mild.

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Can I be blunt . The JMA is a garbage  model. Really just ignore its ramblings regardless of what it shows .

When Ian Fergusson posted here, he suggested the Met Office actually quite like the JMA. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
2 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

There's a 2m temperature range of 8C for London on 15th, which illustrates how volatile the situation is at that range:

image.thumb.png.41007bb63d931420849a0cc609e8acf6.png

That being said, the highest temperature is only 6C, so certainly couldn't be described as mild.

I don’t think there is any doubt it will get somewhat colder around the 15th, the question is the depth of cold and the length.

We have seen it go belly up plenty of times in the past.

Hopefully with all the background signals etc, and from my amateur view of us ‘being due one’, we get over the line this time and see a notable spell of weather on par with Jan 10, Mar 13, Dec 10 etc.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Didn't this happen in December 2022? Big Greeny block modelled initially with bitter NE'ly flow and everyone got excited, then it vanished into thin air and we got the Atlantic in instead. But still too early to be worrying about this possibility. But there is a risk the block drifts too far west or weakens to the NW.

Yes, it literally disappeared after a single run and everything went mild and wet for the rest of the winter.  This place was beyond desperate.  But it’s because those events are so relatively rare that folk pin all hopes on anything that shows it - however far out.  It’s crazy when most know we’ve only got reasonable assurance up to 4/5 days out.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry, sunny summers, Cold snowy and frosty winters

Yes quite incredible…cold to east / north east  from us 

here’s a photo of Kristiansand this week on the south eastern tip of Norway …. Only about an hours flight away from us. 

similar photos to these will appear from the UK soon…..at least that’s what the models are showing up to now,….👍😄

EPAIMAGES.COM

epa11053319 View of a snow covered street during a snowfall in Kristiansand, Norway, 02 January 2024. People in Kristiansand are encouraged to have a home office due to the snow. EPA-EFE/TOR ERIK SCHRODER...

IMG_0431.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, Day_9 said:

Yes, it literally disappeared after a single run and everything went mild and wet for the rest of the winter.  This place was beyond desperate.  But it’s because those events are so relatively rare that folk pin all hopes on anything that shows it - however far out.  It’s crazy when most know we’ve only got reasonable assurance up to 4/5 days out.  

I will be convinced when it is snowing in my backyard lol 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Me too! There’s no straight road to snow in the UK. Just long and winding roads 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

There are some posters here for whom even that won’t be enough…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
28 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

When Ian Fergusson posted here, he suggested the Met Office actually quite like the JMA. 

Here is some objective data on this subject:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/plwww_w_other_ts_upperair?area=Europe&day=5&score=Anomaly correlation

20240105002236-00a0b198ec1776f47f9ced6b96fd4ececa3c7051.thumb.png.f6d4a0fbeeca86a6a1ebd21a94fe4815.png

NCEP = GFS, CMC = GEM

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

My word,...look at those uppers on the control to our E/NE at day 11🥶

gens-0-0-264.thumb.png.33d84f4dd2ba5a65cdc3a85c1e86d2c5.pnggens-0-1-264.thumb.png.660caf9aa348a0d9334f3e4848aa384f.pnggensnh-0-1-264.thumb.png.a62f0e45dac631d9414ab37fb6ca735c.png

Start of February 1963 redux there. Check the archives😀

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

Please not GEFS18z P29:

gensnh-29-1-216.thumb.png.3d9000900eea73888402a10c0aca16e2.pnggensnh-29-0-216.thumb.png.39c63296a1a4c5ec9e58f61aa56c20f7.png

Cold rain and more flooding.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
7 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Wow Just look how great UKMO is towards the end of this for the North Atlantic region! Didn't it first call this potential cold spell ahead of the flatter ECM and GFS too? Correct me if I'm wrong

Screenshot_20240105_003128_Messenger.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, IanT said:

There are some posters here for whom even that won’t be enough…

or they will be too busy looking for a breakdown that they fail to spot two feet of snow outside their window😂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
7 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Wow Just look how great UKMO is towards the end of this for the North Atlantic region! Didn't it first call this potential cold spell ahead of the flatter ECM and GFS too? Correct me if I'm wrong

Screenshot_20240105_003128_Messenger.jpg

Does this also suggest Christmas day its only worth checking UKMO model for any idea of the forecast for a few days away look at the very poor performance by all the other models. Assuming the balloon data that gets mentioned every Christmas period. Very intriguing!!

Edited by Kentspur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

Just a note, it’s perfectly plausible this goes west based because all winter the strat warming has been focussed towards Canada.

West based solutions dont just come out of nowhere though, they evolve so at what T do you think that may be, serious Q? T420, way beyond FI, so a little bit too much emphasis, trying to go beyond the 2 week mark. 

Let's get the first blocks in 

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

56 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

JMA was only model that didn't sink the high like all the other models did they only reverted back a day or so ago, so we now get a decent Easterly with uppers approaching minus 10

• Like 1

Posted

Again the trends remains on the 18Z run for ridging to develop into Greenland at the 192 hours range. It looks too me a shallow shortwave may of developed from the Hudson Bay area which crosses over to Greenland which scuppers our ridge somewhat but a new ridge develops however too far west to affect our weather in a positive sence.

Really do need to emphasize any snowy weather is far from nailed at this stage but I really won't get too hung up on every details of each run.

The weather for the UK at the moment is one of turning drier, colder with a cold wind in the south before some anticyclonic gloom takes over with milder temperatures. What happens after that is very much up for debate.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

image.thumb.png.0d1f399aee7d9f01a6892c1799281aac.png

-11c 850s into the SE on the ECM 18z on Monday and even -13c close by in France, colder than the 12z run.

image.thumb.png.3bcb6c0eea619bacd55b474c38df7e1c.png

Some light snow showers likely in the far corner.

Edited by Mcconnor8
  • Like 3

Posted

Easterly with a North Easterly is Deffo gonna happen .Into next week with SW LP bumping into Cold air mass . We are on a cusp of a very cold 🥶 Winter for at least 3 weeks .

• Like 1