Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Need some good EC ens to settle the ship - then let’s hope the 06gfs jumps back on the big freeze wagon 🤞

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

IMG_9932.png

IMG_9931.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

7 hours ago, Kentspur said:

Does this also suggest Christmas day its only worth checking UKMO model for any idea of the forecast for a few days away look at the very poor performance by all the other models. Assuming the balloon data that gets mentioned every Christmas period. Very intriguing!!

Assuming those are day 5 numbers, it seems that the runs from 20 dec for Xmas day had some v dodgy data in them. And it’s across all models. Tough to check back and see what could have happened. It looks like the 20th was the day that the zonal strat flow turned from its slow progression stronger and began to fall. Don’t suppose there are any cross sectional archived charts from that day or the period approaching to see if there we were any reversals in the flow forecast nearer the pole ?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

Brilliant ecm mean..maybe the best yet!😍

The ECM always lags behind when it comes to downgrading.

I'll leave this malarkey and come back on Monday, if they are still downgrading, I'll save myself the bother and write it off.

I'm sure that 20 years ago, we used to have much more reliable models.....ho hum!   See you Monday, have a good weekend 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

the vortex is heading for a split , pv lobe wil be knocked out in parts 

thats a good sign for the cold patterns 

image.thumb.png.7a0203f9c1d52f4726d189d6c4ebddd9.png

image.thumb.png.a626bb7aa069d2ee3a0872a63536eb0b.png

• Like 7

Posted

ECM ensembles showing colder still as 10 day chart has not scale over 6c on it!

image.thumb.png.e7364fad5406439f85e5681afbfd004c.png
The 15 day charts showing a strong northerly influence on day 15

image.thumb.png.314610c8383ed6854c8eb025a2fd10be.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

But the ECM at T240 is not there yet, so how do you know?

IMG_8296.thumb.png.d3c97e4bd1805bdffc015771fa843b82.png

It’s great for UK cold, but that is not a Greenland high - yet.

It was a comment aimed at those who have been consistently predicting the spell would fail regardless, to be clear.

How do we define a Greenland high Mike ?

does it have to full on greens/yellows covering the whole country?  I’d say that day 10 ec is a decent Greenland height rise centred s Greenland 

I would have thought that a sustained block there would suffice for us in any case - even if that means the n and nw of Greenland isn’t covered by a full upper ridge ? (Which might help with fears of west based?) 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, Catacol said:

15th Jan now sneaks into the range of ECM op. 

image.thumb.png.d5ae21c0930ca43588926eddc96b6d92.png

@Scott Ingham - you are a genius. 🙂

Going to need a pic of him making a snow angel if it lands for sure.😃

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
24 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I know some think it’s a myth, but the Meto text updates often seem to lag the models by 24hrs. 

That might be the case but they won't base their updates on GFS, they have their own super computers which we don't see.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

does it have to full on greens/yellows covering the whole country?  I’d say that day 10 ec is a decent Greenland height rise centred s Greenland 

I would have thought that a sustained block there would suffice for us in any case - even if that means the n and nw of Greenland isn’t covered by a full upper ridge ? (Which might help with fears of west based?) 

We call it a glorified Atlantic ridge, energy is still crossing northern Greenland hence the low forming on the north east of the high and looks to move south a bit like the GFS 18z yesterday,

the wobbly wheel has now struck the ECM op and the GFS has lost some bolts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
38 minutes ago, Chesil View said:

Its not really that hard to remain positive when the top two verifying models are steady as a rock and the one that always goes a bit awol on when it comes to cold is doing its usual wobble. 

Totally agree, I am cautious by nature but surely we'd all rather have UKMO and ECM on board and a (minor) GFS wobble than the other way round...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
30 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I know some think it’s a myth, but the Meto text updates often seem to lag the models by 24hrs. 

Because the professionals at MetO don't throw their toys out the pram over a few model runs (that are literally complete outliers). The cold is definitely still on, and I believe GFS 6z will be back on track.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps aren’t seeing a breakdown of the sort most on here are fearing 

at worst a mid lat high drifting in end week 2 seems to be the alternative to cyclonic cold 

Indeed but most on here look for cold in the hoped that it delivers snow eventually. I can only speak for myself but if it's not going to snow I have zero interest in cold

We are waiting a long-time to get this home. A mid latitude high eating into January is not what most want. It might as well get mild 

Edited by January Snowstorm

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

But the ECM at T240 is not there yet, so how do you know?

IMG_8296.thumb.png.d3c97e4bd1805bdffc015771fa843b82.png

It’s great for UK cold, but that is not a Greenland high - yet.

It was a comment aimed at those who have been consistently predicting the spell would fail regardless, to be clear.

It looks like a Greenie blocking high to me, ok, the core of the heights aren't over the plateau but Greenland is a big place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.c8340b323934f098bf720c4d5799b53a.png

So is the GH the inner marking or the outer marking? When I looked at chart I took the GH to be the outer marking....................Thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the Arctic high is an important part of the puzzle, and we can see why the models are having a rethink. Compare ECM D8 -v- D7, yesterday and today's 0z:

ECH1-192.GIF.thumb.png.20929ec8fc904f7f7d70429164cbb033.pngECH1-168.GIF.thumb.png.c5bb4ec6de35a37ce6c5392be22074e6.png

The Arctic High blended with the Greenland Heights yesterday, acting as an anchor and feed for stable Greenland Heights. This morning, the Arctic wedge merges mainly with the Pac ridge. D10 ECM manages to get a slither of a wedge to link between the Pac Ridge and GH to pull the heights north, but will that be there on the 12z?

image.thumb.png.0aab0b0bfb81bcc03f3724c229136506.png

I am watching this to see if the impact of losing the Arctic residue wedge to the Pacific ridge will be a trigger for a less stable GH. It may be moot, but I would be happier for Arctic Heights to blend with the Greenland block.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 4

Posted

Don't just rely on the op run people are told, but they still do it,time after time, then call downgrade at chartt over 10 days away and ignore the excellent earlier part of the gfs in this case 

SAME every winter. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Good question, I would define it by heights not sea-level pressure, for a start, as discussed yesterday.  At day 10, the heights are highest just south of the tip of Greenland on the ECM, which is not quite there (yet) when we were seeing it over the country (at some time, not necessarily T240) on the previous runs.

Fully agree that a high centred where the ECM has it T240 might work out just fine for the UK.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

It looks like a Greenie blocking high to me, ok, the core of the heights aren't over the plateau but Greenland is a big place.

The more encouraging element is that is even if the Greenland high doesn’t come off, the failure looks like being a lack of amplitude and instead we end up with a persistent Atlantic ridge, which of course will deliver cold from the north regardless and offer other routes beyond. What we don’t want is the cut off high racing westwards and the Atlantic lows racing back towards the UK, that doesn’t look likely at this time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2