Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

IMG_6556.thumb.jpeg.c208df83340375ea8e21eb7bd45f25b0.jpeg Think Paul Hudson & Liam Dutton have this summed up perfectly. They is nothing showing heavy snowfall or brutal cold in the output. Maybe a few have got carried away with the dark purples. Pretty standard fair next week sunny spells and some frost which I can live with after all the floods round here. But certainly nothing to worry about regarding deep cold & heavy snowfall that’s for sure. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 hours ago, TEITS said:

Going to be honest I am disappointed with the commentary on here these past 24hrs. So much so I couldn't be bothered to post.

Lets begin by saying some of the model output these past 24hrs has been sensational and you could not draw any better charts for the UK. I would even go as far to say the best cold weather output I have seen. So when the bar has been set so high you are bound to see less impressive runs. However even the less impressive runs will deliver what many seek.

The GEFS/ECM mean continue to be fantastic, especially the ECM.

image.thumb.png.c3a3a08b96bd0f5035389c43935f84e7.pngimage.thumb.png.d6395c7fab59529778eedb51c282f3d2.png

Some people have been referring to a W based NAO. The ECM mean at +240 does the opposite as to me a W based NAO is when the blocking backs W and allows SW,lys via atlantic low pressure systems moving in. The ECM mean is extending the block even further S. The ECM even causes a low pressure in the Atlantic to move W!!

Lets also not forget the argument that all cold spells downgrade is flawed. Even recently some were suggesting the GFS would be right and we wouldn't even have an E,ly next week as low pressure was supposed to track NE into Iceland and our HP sinking over the UK.

Moving onwards and at the moment even the transitional phase from the E,ly to a Greenland block is uncertain with regards to timing and detail and won't be resolved for another 72hrs. I could spend all day typing out various scenarios  beyond this for mid Jan onwards.

Overall a wintry outlook is most likely but could this be a convective N,ly or Bitter convective ENE,ly or will low pressure approach from the SW bringing a blizzard to some locations. Another option is low pressure in the atlantic phasing with the low that is moving S from the arctic, enhancing the bitter flow from the ENE.

Worth remembering that till today we only had GFS to model the 2nd cherry 🍒 & GH evolution, which is now appearing on the D10s, so now we can start looking for concensus.

If this morning anything to go by,  suggest some find another hobby

image.thumb.png.d6395c7fab59529778eedb51c282f3d2.png

image.thumb.png.c3a3a08b96bd0f5035389c43935f84e7.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Interesting to find out what MOGREPS is showing? Apologies if it's been posted, but it's hard to keep up with the volume of posts!

image.thumb.png.eb1acaa78d14f3b9ac6b98e8ae3bfe7b.png

image.thumb.png.cf0b8ad4c17e5969e0114779f9893dbb.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

GEFS06z P15 is a decent run until 12th when the HP gets pushed south-eastwards:

gensnh-15-1-168.thumb.png.d38f9796af2ccef6235599a0f32e3b41.pnggensnh-15-1-240.thumb.png.be790f2e5c8398943eeb60e29d6002fd.png

Fortunately, there are plenty of outputs left for that to correct in a more favourable direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
33 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Interesting to find out what MOGREPS is showing? Apologies if it's been posted, but it's hard to keep up with the volume of posts!

It only goes out 8 days, which isn't quite far enough for the period of most interest... here are the 6z T850s for my south coast location...

image.thumb.png.48d4786567c39ba9eab5ad7995408d44.png

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

@Battleground Snow any update on the ecm 06z mate?!!!!!!

At 90hrs which is a far as it goes.. very little in it! Just a smidge quicker in bringing the cold pool over south east 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
36 minutes ago, terrier said:

IMG_6556.thumb.jpeg.c208df83340375ea8e21eb7bd45f25b0.jpeg Think Paul Hudson & Liam Dutton have this summed up perfectly. They is nothing showing heavy snowfall or brutal cold in the output. Maybe a few have got carried away with the dark purples. Pretty standard fair next week sunny spells and some frost which I can live with after all the floods round here. But certainly nothing to worry about regarding deep cold & heavy snowfall that’s for sure. 

More of the fact as a professional meteorologist, we cannot jump to conclusions when looking at model output at T240. Our job is to consider all the possibilities and communicate this in a way to the general public that is easily understood. I think Liam Dutton does this perfectly in the tweet posted above.

Explanation from Ben Salisbury earlier.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Not much different by 144 either,

I do find that the 06z doesn't really differ too much from the 00z.

Seems to be a bigger changes in general going from 06z to 12z and 18z to 00z

gensnh-0-1-144 (6).png

gensnh-0-1-150 (2).png

High doesn't look to be moving into Greenland as quickly though which isn't a great trend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
8 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

It only goes out 8 days, which isn't quite far enough for the period of most interest... here are the 6z T850s for my south coast location...

image.thumb.png.48d4786567c39ba9eab5ad7995408d44.png

Outside the range of MOGREPS is a little red flag in itself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
18 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

At 90hrs which is a far as it goes.. very little in it! Just a smidge quicker in bringing the cold pool over south east 

ECM control 6z at T144, for those that want it:

IMG_8300.thumb.png.1d6680245a3a299e710a7e5265804761.png

Not very different at all to 0z at same time.

Just a thought related to the GFS 6z, before we get any deep cold to the UK from this Greenland high or Atlantic ridge scenario down to less than a week away (now earliest really day 10-11) , there are probably about 50 op runs from the big 4, and more than that for those who want to cherry pick the minor ones.  

Even if the cold spell is going to happen, a few of those runs are bound by probability to be stinkers with the amount of uncertainty at that range.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Ec seasonal has updated (monthly won’t be available on ec website until Copernicus updates around 12th) 

feb retains high anomoly to the west and a trough to our east but no low anom 

you’d say that the slightly high anoms for slp and heights are a little close on the monthly mean but it’s workable. Highest anom on slp and heights just se of Greenland  (again workable) 

not much point in posting January because we can see ens out to the 20th and the 46 week 3 clears up the month 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ec seasonal has updated (monthly won’t be available on ec website until Copernicus updates around 12th) 

feb retains high anomoly to the west and a trough to our east but no low anom 

you’d say that the slightly high anoms for slp and heights are a little close on the monthly mean but it’s workable. Highest anom on slp and heights just se of Greenland  (again workable) 

not much point in posting January because we can see ens out to the 20th and the 46 week 3 clears up the month 

Would be interesting to know what it’s take on the strat is - i.e. when it was run, was it before the next warming gathered momentum (probably).  We can check this on the Copernicus website when it comes out there.  I think the strat behaviour might be very important for February’s forecast.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Let's keep on model discussion please all.

Any further discussions on the Met O or BBC outlooks please post over to here where the last few have gone.

Thanks.

• Like 2