Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

There's no getting away from the ECM looking great for the northern half of the UK and less so for the southern half. Not any bias here just the way I see this run

ECMOPEU12_192_2.thumb.png.181de5229f3df75f101a9f5f068daba9.png

Totally agree. ECM looks great for the midlands north but looks like it’s will come again do only a brief milder spell before cold air moves back south. All proper wintry spells have milder interludes do in my eyes it’s the general pattern that looks locked in for the foreseeable future 

• Like 4

Posted

If anything that brief milder interlude, once in, looks to bring a great snow chance and then sweep away down towards France and gives the UK almost a fresh crack of the whip with a clean slate. Not concerned about it in the slightest.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.
18 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Battle ground snow is absolutely terrible for most in the south as it’s always rain.

Yes, it is disappointing when it happens. Oh for a 2010 scenario. Despite the excitement here, looking at the charts and the comments from respected contributors there is quite a lot of doubt as to what the south will get.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The pseudo magic-roundabout isnt something we want repeated in the morning, the last thing we need is a split flow in Scotland, all energy into France please.

image.thumb.png.5f227cd2403b31a35462a922678f4f81.pngimage.thumb.png.df62fb3c1e25f2d3a856d139236c102d.png

4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

IMBYISM is perfectly understandable given the lack of snow in the UK .

However the track of low pressure is a bellwether for the strength of any blocking to the north .

The ECM only dodges a bullet because it finds just enough forcing day 7 into 8. Without that the low to the sw would move ne phase with that shortwave and deepen . This would push high pressure into France and it won’t be just southern members reaching for the helpline .

Relying on an Arctic high to deliver that forcing when you need it does not have a good track record . 

Don’t be seduced by the ECM op , it’s not a good run regardless of what it delivers later .

There is no margin for error at all . 

yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

EC46 still looking pretty solid for potential cold right into mid-Feb

Apart from week of 22 Jan where it turns warmer (tying in with what Met4Cast says above)

• Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.a036e18e330920fa364518bd4bd01e63.png

EC 46 15th to 22nd..

suggests to me the jet quite well south ,noticably colder for much of the North..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 9

Posted
30 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Battle ground snow is absolutely terrible for most in the south as it’s always rain.

Maybe in Bournemouth but 30/40 miles north we do quite well 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM extended cluster T264+:

IMG_8407.thumb.png.af87594209ce2b8221c2bcc8ed331fca.png

Clusters 1 and 4 maintain the block and it relinquishes control by day 15, which is as per the timetable set out above by @Met4Cast for something of a resurgence from the Atlantic.  Cluster 2 is more mobile than that from the start of the timeframe.  Cluster 5 (and to a lesser extent 3) hint - like this mornings cluster 3 - at building heights into Scandi as the next move.

I may have dreamt this but wasn’t  this scenario referenced by one of our most knowledgeable posters? They stated that the models would blow through the uk but in reality there would be struggles with attempts to remove our imbedded cold. Before renewed attempts at northern blocking.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Let's throw the cat amongst the pigeons here folks.

Mmmmm the suspense is getting more than a Hitchcock thriller.

Sorry @Met4Cast you had already posted it.

That's some serious numbers though..yes we've been here before,but with the pv in a weekend state it ain't gonna take much to knock it out.

Screenshot_20240108_202007_X.jpg

Edited by MATTWOLVES 3
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

46/51 of the 12z EPS had a technical SSW reversal.

GDWIzNOXQAAi7vW.thumb.jpeg.e31d04cb011525d949c2b98620da834e.jpeg

If we do see a reversal then I expect modelling to be even less reliable than it currently is in the med-extended. There is a lot going on at the moment so getting caught up in every individual deterministic run searching for precise desired outcomes makes even less sense than it usually does. 

EC46 comes frustratingly close too..

Screenshot2024-01-08at20_16_12.thumb.png.b59a153c45222112964d7ab9c7c5f48b.png

GFS close too but not quite as bullish

17.png

u10serie_cfsRawCorrGefs.png

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, Hatewarmth said:

Totally agree. ECM looks great for the midlands north but looks like it’s will come again do only a brief milder spell before cold air moves back south. All proper wintry spells have milder interludes do in my eyes it’s the general pattern that looks locked in for the foreseeable future 

Yes, there does seem some delays in getting the cold air south.

In the end the boundary of polar air on ECM reaches the middle of France, way past the south of England! 

I think it will happen, the devil is in the detail though.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

46/51 of the 12z EPS had a technical SSW reversal.

GDWIzNOXQAAi7vW.thumb.jpeg.e31d04cb011525d949c2b98620da834e.jpeg

If we do see a reversal then I expect modelling to be even less reliable than it currently is in the med-extended. There is a lot going on at the moment so getting caught up in every individual deterministic run searching for precise desired outcomes makes even less sense than it usually does. 

I’m not sure it will make much difference as it’s displacement  - we’ve already got ongoing reversed flow above 70N predicted for the next ten days or so. Having it get another ten degrees south could help to supress the jet a bit further south but I’m expecting reversal waves to head down into the trop out to the end of feb anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

I’m not sure it will make much difference as it’s displacement  - we’ve already got ongoing reversed flow above 70N predicted for the next ten days or so. Having it get another ten degrees south could help to supress the jet a bit further south but I’m expecting reversal waves to head down into the trop out to the end of feb anyway. 

Quick question Blue as the Strat is an area I struggle with. Why do you think we’ll see reversal waves for the next 6 weeks after these current round of warmings? Just trying to improve my knowledge 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Pretty good 12z eps so far ..flatlining op/ control and cluster below mean..

ens_image-2024-01-08T203302_865.thumb.png.178675767d16a1109f73c6cb979b9f5e.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
4 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

This would be best case scenario for many, huge  snow event  then cold again 

IMG_2542.png

IMG_2541.png

This really would be the dream and an a truly memorable event  

• Like 3

Posted

With all the amazing charts of the day, this one is up there - ENS clearly having a quicker transition to the cold - by this time tomorrow we should really start having a good idea of the initial transition to cold for Sunday/Monday - hopefully we can really stay sub -6c uppers (snow conducive) for at least a week from then.  

IMG_2547.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Pretty good 12z eps so far ..flatlining op/ control and cluster below mean..

ens_image-2024-01-08T203302_865.thumb.png.178675767d16a1109f73c6cb979b9f5e.png

Of note is that op is one of the few milder options for next weekends complications the 12z ecm illustrated.. could be a clean route to cold for all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1