Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Yuck! The outcome, you can see where it goes wrong at 126/132

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 22.16.16.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

But wait,...it might be sniffing a new pattern,...watch for height's here(black arrow)👀

gfsnh-0-162.thumb.png.16d0a3072928a38ed66691935cf3c22b.pnggfsnh-0-168.thumb.png.8f811e6c303581e690d3ad5894a38815.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowmut said:

Theres a fine line between being over confident and coming across as  arrogant, simply just dismissing other peoples views when they show charts backing up that point with a sweeping remark cutting them down is a bit low!... but there you go each to their own!

One gfs op isn’t a chart to back up a view though. An ensemble pack that shows 60% support for a run that is a different story. It’s important not to get caught up in one run out of about 200 over several models. That’s the key point I’m trying to make. If you look at all available means for the 15th to the 22nd does mild or cold have the most evidence to support it? 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
4 minutes ago, Snowmut said:

Theres a fine line between being over confident and coming across as  arrogant, simply just dismissing other peoples views when they show charts backing up that point with a sweeping remark cutting them down is a bit low!... but there you go each to their own!

No need for snipes its a model watching thread.Take it to pm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Well that doesn’t show disruptive snow. 

IMG_0972.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.395458ad9044db458c883aa48e74c09b.png
GFS is changing in the mid term but it’s sticking to a collapsing GH, it won’t be the first time the GFS has called it correctly but we usually end up in a meeting if the models a half way house.

ECM UKM and GFS to change places in the morning 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Either MOGREPS, UKMO and the ECM/EPS all have this wrong and somehow the GFS det is correct despite the GEFS being a complete and utter mess with no discernible signal, or the GFS is just rather useless. 

I know which camp I'm in. We'll see on the overnight runs, can't discount the GFS but the evidence is certainly against it.

Exactly right, as much as we would like to it cannot be discounted as other models have flirted with similar evolutions. I certainly wouldn't be putting any money on the GFS option, especially as it's up against the UKMO & ECM, but knowing our luck!

It's a bit of an unholy mess at 186, comparison to ECM at the same time

image.thumb.png.304b20e602c62baa9c84203a6a687ab8.png image.thumb.png.0e63d8ab583b7b80a43c829e5199bcdb.png

• Like 2

Posted

All that said, if GFS is correct, it will go down in the annals of weather chasing fails with many others! Also, the NH profile is still very unusual, conducive to -NAO and another chase. Even if this is a fail, there's plenty of opportunities as we move on.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

No need for snipes its a model watching thread.Take it to pm.

No sniping mate...Factorama!..This morning I posted Gem and Gfs ens... both showing crap outcomes and was called insane!.....If that's what you need to do to get a ticket to the nut house then God help us all!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

But wait,...it might be sniffing a new pattern,...watch for height's here(black arrow)👀

gfsnh-0-162.thumb.png.16d0a3072928a38ed66691935cf3c22b.pnggfsnh-0-168.thumb.png.8f811e6c303581e690d3ad5894a38815.png

Stop it 😉 I was shutting down the laptop for the night….. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Dreadful GFS, law of the sod says it’s probably right, always the model you don’t want to be right ends up being the one.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Snowmut said:

No sniping mate...Factorama!..This morning I posted Gem and Gfs ens... both showing crap outcomes and was called insane!.....If that's what you need to do to get a ticket to the nut house then God help us all!

They don’t show crap outcomes though snowmut. Repost them now and let people decide. There was more support for cold than mild 15-22nd. I’m not sure what you are getting at?

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

18z a snow event for Central areas at day 8

Yes all the models are now saying this. I think the models will end up halfway house as usual but starting to look likely a snow event somewhere on Wednesday as the low in the SW move into play. My guess would be an area between Birmingham and Leeds to be worse hit as it stands but true is we won’t know till T+0

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

One gfs op isn’t a chart to back up a view though. An ensemble pack that shows 60% support for a run that is a different story. It’s important not to get caught up in one run out of about 200 over several models. That’s the key point I’m trying to make. If you look at all available means for the 15th to the 22nd does mild or cold have the most evidence to support it? 

It's several op runs in last 48 hrs. GEM and Jma last night and 2 runs on the bounce from gfs. The ensembles on 12z gfs also. Cold still favoured, but the trend towards something milder has actually gained traction in the last 24hours. That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's certainly deserves discussion and comment

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

😩

IMG_0974.png

IMG_0973.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

GFS not budging.....surely this can't be ignored. 

Yes it can.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Well, I'm certainly not emotionally invested in this and can look at it quite neutrally

We have in one corner 4 GFS op runs in a row showing a very different outcome to what the teleconnections and other big picture stuff and the professionals are saying - and those ops say no real significant cold. There is some sort of support from GEM op runs

In the other corner is basically everything else saying it will get cold

You can't ignore 4 GFS op runs in a row but I am still confident of a cold, possibly disruptive week next week. If that doesn't happen then lots to learn teleconnections-wise and what a massive win for the GFS it would be. The mocking it gets on here would result in some humble pie being eaten!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Well that doesn’t show disruptive snow. 

IMG_0972.png

Oh but it does for many.

IMG_3528.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Do you lot not learn, LOOK AT THE GFS compared to others! Not only is it swinging from one to the next, but the entire global pattern is different!! Dartboard lows, dartboard highs, it's as if the pattern looks squashed compared to the UKMO/GEM.  Bin it, it's WRONG

• Like 6