Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Can confirm in Surrey it’s really blowing here a dry day time gale !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

Starting to get going here now. Hoping it doesn't get too bad as wifey is on the other side of the river at Bluewater with the kids. 

I did warn her, but she tends to laugh at my slightly creaky weather forecasting skills. 

• Like 1

Posted

Jeez those are some strong gusts here....

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
53 minutes ago, Thunders said:

yeah.  are the winds picking up where you are?

We are clocking gusts here with elevation on the coast around 67mph ( twice on my hand held ano)

Might squeeze some 70mphs or so in the next couple of hours

Posted

Notable winds for Surrey currently, loads of debris just came over the fence from next doors lean-to which has lost its corrugated plastic roof.

Posted

【LIVE】 Webcam Whitstable | SkylineWebcams

WWW.SKYLINEWEBCAMS.COM

Travel to the Pearl of Kent now with our Whitstable beach webcam! Watch one of the most beautiful landscapes near Canterbury and discover all our UK cams!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

That was a quick turn round, all of a sudden, strong westerly gusts and torrential rain again after 2 hours of dryness and light SE wind.

20240102_154141.jpg

Edited by matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

As a fan of lived extreme weather (the opposite to our friends on the MAD thread!) I thought I’d take a calculated risk and take the dog out across the golf course to experience the wind. It was way too wild to take pictures/film; I didn’t feel I could take my eyes away from scanning the air for flying branches.  Two large - really large - trees downed within sight/earshot in the space of five minutes told me I’d miscalculated so we turned round and ran for home. Safely back now.

The gusts are something else for Surrey. I think this is going to cause a lot of damage/disruption somewhere.

• Like 2

Posted

Rush hour times are going to be very interesting for people coming home from the first day back at work.

I suspect the roads aregoing to get clogged very quickly in the South East with trees down.

hopefully nothing worse happens.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
26 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

We are clocking gusts here with elevation on the coast around 67mph ( twice on my hand held ano)

Might squeeze some 70mphs or so in the next couple of hours

wouldn't be surprised 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate sometimes heavy rain continues here. Most rivers locally have once again busts there banks and are all on flood alert, could be an interesting evening as the flood waters rise.., no wind to speak of as yet although I'm only just in the yellow warning area.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at FlightRadar24 there must be some very busy ATCs in the London region. Plenty of go arounds at multiple airports

Posted

Am I right in thinking that the Amber wind warning area on the MetO warning is too far North?

Looking at the rain warning they seem to have that about right, we are right at the northern edge of the heaviest rain, its been a wet day but not excessive, but reports from just south of here indicate some significant accumulations. Impacts here are related to the fact that the last 3 months have been wet, just surface water.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Exeter Airport clocked 81mph between noon and 1 pm - hopefully that will be the 2024 record!

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Exeter last 24 hours weather including temperature, wind, visibility, humidity and atmospheric pressure

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mike57 said:

Am I right in thinking that the Amber wind warning area on the MetO warning is too far North?

Looking at the rain warning they seem to have that about right, we are right at the northern edge of the heaviest rain, its been a wet day but not excessive, but reports from just south of here indicate some significant accumulations. Impacts here are related to the fact that the last 3 months have been wet, just surface water.

I thought that earlier.  I'm bang smack in the middle of the amber warning, but the highest gusts have been recorded south of me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

My family arrived back into Heathrow from Ireland about an hour ago…was relieved they got down on the first attempt.

Some very strong gusts here in Bexley. During an impressive gust earlier, a huge chunk of render fell off our neighbour’s house, leaving our shared alleyway strewn with debris.

The only other time I’ve heard our garden doors creak so much was during Storm Eunice, so I’m going with the MetO Amber warning being totally justified on this occasion.

• Like 1

Posted

Recorded a 55mph gust. Impressive for this far inland. Lots of debris around- There must be a fair number of trees down further south . The winds seemed to come from nowhere,  screamed for about 2 hours, and have now died right down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Forgot to upload this  video earlier

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

My family arrived back into Heathrow from Ireland about an hour ago…was relieved they got down on the first attempt.

Some very strong gusts here in Bexley. During an impressive gust earlier, a huge chunk of render fell off our neighbour’s house, leaving our shared alleyway strewn with debris.

The only other time I’ve heard our garden doors creak so much was during Storm Eunice, so I’m going with the MetO Amber warning being totally justified on this occasion.

In Bexley also and a huge tree has come down in the woods I back onto. Its made a right mess sadly. One to sort tomorrow. Gusts seem to be dieing down now

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, IanT said:

As a fan of lived extreme weather (the opposite to our friends on the MAD thread!) I thought I’d take a calculated risk and take the dog out across the golf course to experience the wind. It was way too wild to take pictures/film; I didn’t feel I could take my eyes away from scanning the air for flying branches.  Two large - really large - trees downed within sight/earshot in the space of five minutes told me I’d miscalculated so we turned round and ran for home. Safely back now.

The gusts are something else for Surrey. I think this is going to cause a lot of damage/disruption somewhere.

The like minded, I have to bite my finger to stop  a response out of keeping with  the convivial atmosphere on the MOD sometimes 😉unless it is likely to fall out of the sky and is white, we might as well spend winter under a Bartlett high with "no weather" seems to be the mood from a sizeable amount of contributions there.

I am as enthused by today's weather type and the lead up to it as any snow chase!

Who is with me? Hit the thumbs as they say🤣

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

here the wind is picking up significantly. the lids of the bins are coming off because of how many times they on floor. some of my potted trees have snapped already and loads of trees down along the downs. my grandma's fence has blown down and the chairs have been moved to the neighbors flat 

• Like 1

Posted

Watching Big Jet TV or "Go Around TV" as it could be called.

There are plenty of strong gusts out there. This caught me out, as someone said above such a late naming and amber warning is a concern for us in the affected area.

• Thanks 1

Posted

25.8mm of rain since yesterday evening now from this. Little wind to speak of but flooding everywhere. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Wivenswold said:

Watching Big Jet TV or "Go Around TV" as it could be called.

There are plenty of strong gusts out there. This caught me out, as someone said above such a late naming and amber warning is a concern for us in the affected area.

east sussex seems to be getting quite strong wind gusts already aswell as the super saturated ground allowing the trees to just fall. the roar of the wind only reminds me of eunice. 

• Like 2