Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

It looks like there is the possibility of a belt of 60(ish) mph gusts across the northern Home Counties early evening.  For all of you in costal or more upland areas this would clearly be a regular occurrence, but in the areas highlighted by the amber warning and shown quite nicely on various models this is notable.  Undoubtably there will be some disruption later on - weak fences, trees in waterlogged ground, bins, rubbish etc blowing around.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
2 minutes ago, Harveyslugger said:

It's not:)

Agree this is hunga tonga at play with all that extra water vapour. 

If people think we have had it bad I would suggest they look at what has been happening in queensland and specifically the gold Coast over the last months 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Agree this is hunga tonga at play with all that extra water vapour. 

If people think we have had it bad I would suggest they look at what has been happening in queensland and specifically the gold Coast over the last months 

Nah, it's just weather. And ENSO, of course.

• Like 1

Posted

Gone nuts in Poole Harbour,  blowing a good force 9, gusting 65 knots according to Poole yatch club site. 20240102_132335.thumb.jpg.07609c9e03c2c5e9f231b7d431fa248b.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Winds really picked up at work in Llantrisant, trees swaying like mad. How long are the winds suppose to last, are they moving through quick or we looking at a few hours of this? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, misty, slightly damp

image.thumb.png.9e461f8f0018cb595b364ba072c8a2ed.png Lawks a mussy - 99mph at Stepper Point near Padstow this morning!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
34 minutes ago, IanT said:

Must be the climate crisis…😔

What climate crisis......😀

10 minutes ago, R Alto said:

Gone nuts in Poole Harbour,  blowing a good force 9, gusting 65 knots according to Poole yatch club site. 20240102_132335.thumb.jpg.07609c9e03c2c5e9f231b7d431fa248b.jpg

Nice Photo....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, TammasinWhiskers said:

image.thumb.png.9e461f8f0018cb595b364ba072c8a2ed.png Lawks a mussy - 99mph at Stepper Point near Padstow this morning!

That's yet another station that uses a sonic anemometer. They aren't trustworthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, misty, slightly damp
Just now, Mapantz said:

That's yet another station that uses a sonic anemometer. They aren't trustworthy.

Thanks, that's good to know. That was taken as a screenshot from a weather team I follow on FB, and I found it really scary. If it's a bit dodge that helps my anxiety a lot. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, TammasinWhiskers said:

Thanks, that's good to know. That was taken as a screenshot from a weather team I follow on FB, and I found it really scary. If it's a bit dodge that helps my anxiety a lot. 

NP.

Those sonic anemometers are expensive, 4 times the price of a traditional cup-anemometer. People think they are more accurate because they don't have any moving parts, but time and time again, the same flaw creeps in.. when there's extreme wind speeds, debris and rain causes anomalous  wind speeds to be recorded.

No doubt, it is windy there, possibly 80mph gusts, but I don't believe the 99mph.

I've looked at some other stations close by; Polzeath, St Enodoc, they've shown 60 - 70mph.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted

Heavy rain all morning but it cleared in last hour or so. There was hardly any wind this morning but in last 20 mins it's turned extremely windy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Ridiculously wet drive up and back down the M1 earlier, the A5 is blocked with flooding near Watford Gap too.

The only notifications about wind on the gantries was warning of high winds across the West Midlands area!!

All the rest were surface water and spray warnings.

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

Winds really picked up at work in Llantrisant, trees swaying like mad. How long are the winds suppose to last, are they moving through quick or we looking at a few hours of this? 

And gone again, barely a breeze. Unless we get back edge, not sure what precipitated the amber. WAY windier last week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornados and Windstsorms.

I am in the storm and it seems stronger in the southeast where I live.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
5 minutes ago, Ryan H said:

I am in the storm and it seems stronger in the southeast where I live.

it does seem quite strong down here. definitely not as bad as the other counties but its very blowy and i wanna say winds of 50mph and might be a few 60mph gusts mixed in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Gusts around 70mph to 80mph around the IOW now.

This makes it the strongest wind storm of the winter so far for Southern counties.

A  quite unique system in the "modern age' that it took so long for models to agree on the wind impacts.

Hats off to the GFS ( often over reacts with wind strength) 4 or 5 days out from an event, but held its nerve while other models flipped and flopped between severe and benign on different runs.

Not a surprise all of this given the nature of a small low developing over the UK, reasonably rare.

1 minute ago, Thunders said:

it does seem quite strong down here. definitely not as bad as the other counties but its very blowy and i wanna say winds of 50mph and might be a few 60mph gusts mixed in.

Strongest winds here progged between 3pm and 6pm.

IOW area just receiving 70mph + gusts now on latest obs.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, sunnijim said:

This makes it the strongest wind storm of the winter so far for Southern counties.

A  quite unique system in the "modern age' that it took so long for models to agree on the wind impacts.

Hats off to the GFS ( often over reacts with wind strength) 4 or 5 days out from an event, but held its nerve while other models flipped and flopped between severe and benign on different runs.

Not a surprise all of this given the nature of a small low developing over the UK, reasonably rare.

yeah.  are the winds picking up where you are?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Strongest winds here progged between 3pm and 6pm.

IOW area just receiving 70mph + gusts now on latest obs.

i feel like this is stronger than we were expecting. probably wrong about that.

Posted
57 minutes ago, R Alto said:

Love your photo.  Must admit, not got the winds in my neck of the woods, but the rain has been heavy and incessant all day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

the wind is already making my plastic roofing bow  a lot. how strong are the winds supposed to get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Gone from a slight breeze to crazy in just a few mins, on plus side the sun is trying to appear...

Posted

An update for the amber warning on Met O 

Updated: 13:21 (UTC) on Tue 2 Jan 2024

Reason for update

The warning area has been extended slightly southwards across southern England, whilst also trimmed away from parts of the southwest where winds have now peaked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Wind has really picked up over the last 30 mins in West Oxon. Would estimate gusts around 40mph at present. Quite unusual to have an Amber warning for this area!