Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, BB1979 said:

In Bexley also and a huge tree has come down in the woods I back onto. Its made a right mess sadly. One to sort tomorrow. Gusts seem to be dieing down now

Hope it’s nothing too bad @BB1979

1 minute ago, Thunders said:

east sussex seems to be getting quite strong wind gusts already aswell as the super saturated ground allowing the trees to just fall. the roar of the wind only reminds me of eunice. 

Exactly the same here @Thunders - the roar outside as the wind rips through the branches has sometimes sounded like a jet plane taking off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
1 minute ago, Spikey M said:

2 fence panels down so far...

hopefully thats all

Posted

Matey is at Heathrow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, reef said:

25.8mm of rain since yesterday evening now from this. Little wind to speak of but flooding everywhere. 

Yes, yellow warning area northwards extent is about right you are about 20 miles further south, and although we've had a wet day I doubt we have had 25mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
Just now, @NNweather said:

67mph gust just recorded at Turweston Aerodrome near Brackley in Northamptonshire.

That’s a notable gust so far in land !

A fair few trees down some across roads  between Cobham & Esher would only go out in this area if you really have too !?

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Heathrow has clocked a 69mph gust.

Normally making the news for the highest Summer temps!

Impressive inland gust, when was the last time a gust that high was recorded there? #weatherhistory

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter. Colder the better.

Henk hitherto hadn't hit....

Just closed the front door after the first day back to reality after the Christmas break. The wind is battering my house from all angles. The tree in my neighbours garden, that they haven't looked after at all, is looking very wobbly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
22 minutes ago, @NNweather said:

67mph gust just recorded at Turweston Aerodrome near Brackley in Northamptonshire.

That was a mad half hour of weather.!!

• Like 1

Posted

Henk's moved on here. Short, but intense. Trees, fence panels down. A couple of villages are cut off either by flood water or felled trees

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the peak was 67mph here, unless I missed somthing.

Standing on my own with the phone camera in one hand an Anometer in the other....ripe for comment about some weirdo on the South Downs on the local fb group🤣

#stormysussexsunset

20240102_155614.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Quite a few trees down around, including a very lucky driver in Cookham who escaped with minor injuries after a tree flattened their car while driving.

I snapped these strange circular clouds just before the strongest winds hit, a bit like mammatus. The skies were amazing this afternoon.

IMG_0651.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
9 minutes ago, Emz by the Thames said:

Quite a few trees down around, including a very lucky driver in Cookham who escaped with minor injuries after a tree flattened their car while driving.

I snapped these strange circular clouds just before the strongest winds hit, a bit like mammatus. The skies were amazing this afternoon.

IMG_0651.JPG

Yes ,I think they are Mammatus.  Nice pic!

Posted

Rain rather than wind the problem where we are. However, a good clip of scaffolding coming down from a height in my old neck of the woods in Sutton (Surrey) High Street. Fortunately it seems nobody was underneath at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Certainly got very windy for a while here even outside the amber warning area. Lots of reports of trees down locally blocking roads and railways. Didn't see any damage when I was out walking earlier but plenty of branches on the ground and someone's rubbish had done a runner. Also just seen I recorded a 41mph gust which for my station is quite impressive. 

• Like 1

Posted

Loads of rain here. 31mm today on my station here in Melton Mowbray.

Lots of flooded roads. Took me 2 hours to drive back from Leicester (normally 50 mins or so)

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all 🙂

Here in downtown East London, the wind strengthened notably from lunchtime. THis morning has oddly enough been almost calm with steady moderate rain, that soaking rain water companies love. From late morning, the wind gradually increased and the afternoon has been blustery to stormy with occasional showers. 

Shower activity and winds have eased down in the past couple of hours - not an exceptional storm and certainly nothing like Eunice in February 2022.

The unsettled theme looks set to continue for another couple of days before a dramatic pattern change at the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Just a ridiculous amount of water in the soil with Storm Henk today contributing to it further. All that water still heading into rivers tonight. Visited the Royal Oak pub in Brandon, that's flooded yet again. And also the River Sowe is swollen with footpaths subermerged.

Below is the River Sowe at around Wyken, eastern Coventry:

image.thumb.png.820782a0ca45bed5c348b5ff9dfcec06.pngimage.thumb.png.8caf3506a1948931dd314300858c2dbf.png

These are at Brandon, next to the river Avon with the pub in the third photo closing down 3 days ago due to the water accumulating there and floods continue to return the next 2 days after that including today.

image.thumb.png.d0daf7028a769c5bb0bdbd53ca337f5c.pngimage.thumb.png.e0ed603a010e0d46a6c325969ca8672b.pngimage.thumb.png.f73024eac4b92afb9a4d279e5f97a1dc.png

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Staff cancel the bookings of around 200 customers as the pub shuts for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
On 01/01/2024 at 17:13, The PIT said:

A case of wait and see how it develops. Will it be storm Henk??

That's one problem with the naming system. It is suppose to bring more attention to the public of potential weather issues...in advance.  Naming it when it is virtually on top of you, just defeats the object of the system.  Thinking about it, you are forced to name systems in these scenarios, now because people will be asking why wasn't that system named, as we have been doing in the past. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms /winter storms and blizzards.

Storm henk wasn't as bad  in Norfolk as I thought it would be we had gusts upto 55 mph at Norwich nearly 60 mph on the coast also had alit of rain throughout the day. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

That's one problem with the naming system. It is suppose to bring more attention to the public of potential weather issues...in advance.  Naming it when it is virtually on top of you, just defeats the object of the system.  Thinking about it, you are forced to name systems in these scenarios, now because people will be asking why wasn't that system named, as we have been doing in the past. 

Well one defence was that the models were still undecided about the track until they late on. The track on the day was just a bit further south than shown by the GFS 12 oz I don't know whether 18oz got it closer or not.

The Met office is often in a mess over naming storms anyway and are often beaten to it by other met office services in other countries. Coupled with a warning system the whole lot needs an overhaul.

• Like 4