Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

CryoraptorA303

7 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

More the East/West Sussex border than Surrey, that's where the most ridiculous numbers are coming from.

Soon to be overtaken by West Yorkshire stations, perhaps...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Things could change but with a weakening of pressure likely by the 13th/14th and with such heavy rainfall in places this month already I feel like May will be another one to add to the wet pile...

• Like 2

Posted

LetItSnow! Depends on the measure. Some individual stations are almost guaranteed to be wet by rainfall total now - many parts of Sussex as others have said and also based on this evening quite likely West Yorkshire area as well, no doubt there will be others. But those don't add much to the grid average for e.g. the England and Wales Precipitation series.

The other point is rain days - I find that these correlate much more with the experience of a month. I'd much rather we had a May with average rainfall overall but with half a dozen very heavy rain days from thunderstorms and the rest mainly or entirely dry, than 50% below normal rainfall with constant light showers and drizzle.

• Like 2

Posted

Still raining here. Going on 9 hours now. Some shower this. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Really gotta feel for northern and northeastern Europe, they've had such an awful several months...

image.thumb.png.d99e1fb339e54b46840140ebd687cb56.png

Posted

AWD If we believe it ... Looking forward to a week of cloud ahead! ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
Posted (edited)

*Stormforce~beka* its one of my hobbies beka, not all hobbies are cheap 😁....(replying to yesterday's post!)

20240506_164522.jpg

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

raz.org.rain Has to be better than what we've had...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

WYorksWeather It depends on the second half, which is uncertain. But some of the patterns suggested look quite unsettled. To be fair it's not just the 2nd and 6th that have seen some rain here. I agree though. If you had a summer month with a big storm on the 1st but the rest of the month was mostly rainless/light rain then you wouldn't think of it as a wet month. But whether that happens or not is undetermined at this stage.

Posted

CryoraptorA303 Definitely, the incessant rain we've been plagued by since September has been tiresome. Would've been great if all that rain fell as snow during winter. 

• Like 3

Posted
Posted (edited)

CryoraptorA303 yeah sorry that's my lack of geographical knowledge 😆. In my head Surrey is anywhere south of London, oops. 

A crazy amount of rain, fully saturated ground in the south east in May has got to be once in a century sort of event, at least before climate change began meddling with our rainfall patterns!

Edited by richie3846

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

raz.org.rain Funny to see Iraq well below average especially considering Baghdad still manages to hit the high 20s over the next few days. Average temp is high 30s this time of year just shows how even well below average there would still be very warm to us here.

• Like 1

Posted

LetItSnow! Probably still far too early to do more than speculate about second half I think. Hopefully the broad-scale pattern at the seasonal level will reconfigure to something like the opposite of our current 10 month pattern, e.g. a move from troughs and occasional ridges to ridges and occasional troughs. We're not going to go months and months without any unsettled weather at all, but it would be nice if for once we could have this week mainly settled and warm, a few unsettled days, and then another settled and warm week to follow on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It feels like I am living on a different planet to most members in here. It has been warm, dry and sunny over the weekend including the bank holiday. Hopefully everyone will get some nice weather during the upcoming week. We all deserve it.

• Like 7

Posted

Disgustingly wet and grey here in London. As for this week, I'll believe it when I see it. We in the SE seem to be always getting the worst of the clag, so I expect we'll get some more in the next few days. Last spring/early summer was the same: forecast (especially Meto)  said sunny and warm, but the clag would not dissipate before sunset.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It feels like I am living on a different planet to most members in here. It has been warm, dry and sunny over the weekend including the bank holiday. Hopefully everyone will get some nice weather during the upcoming week. We all deserve it.

Today has been wet, but Saturday and Sunday was largely warm, sunny and dry in the SE. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

markyo We’re so different, there’s no ‘stench’ in spring or summer for me, I love the smell of the air in these seasons. There’s definitely a smell of decay in autumn, but I enjoy the bonfire scent. Having covid 4 times has really messed up my sense of smell, though. 

Mainly cloudy here today with more interesting cloudscapes but my area dodged the thunderstorms. Felt  pleasantly warm (19°C) despite the cloud. 

IMG_1492.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Weather Enthusiast91 Same! One of the best early May BH weekends I can remember in years, best since 2018 without a doubt. We are entering the first sustained spell of truly warm and dry weather for this whole spring. Today and Saturday both topped 19c here and were mostly clear which took some getting used to! Yesterday was forgettable, showers in the morning and cooler sunny spells in the afternoon but nothing as bad as most of March/April.

Reached 19.8c here today, was a glorious afternoon in the sun. Could see some ominous dark grey clouds just to our north but they passed us by luckily. For the first time this year I was outside and couldn't really feel a chill in the air and it made me so happy. Summer is finally on the way!!

• Like 3

Posted

SunnyG Yup. That has been one of the most miserable bank holiday weather-wise ever!  A very brief nice period of weather coming up and normal service resumes next week. 

Screenshot_20240506-232445.png

• Like 1

Posted
NEWS.SKY.COM

Plenty of solutions to adapt the capital to greater heat already exist, but must be rolled out, IIED said. These include more trees and green space to counter the "urban heat island" effect, and "passive cooling" for...

In the last three decades, the capital has seen 116 days above 30C, but more than half of these (59) happened in the last 10 years.

Days above a sweltering 35C are becoming more common too, as are consecutive days above 30C, the analysis by the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) found.

Consecutive days above 30C have become more frequent too - in the 1990s and 2000s there were two years in each decade with three or more days in a row over 30C.

But since 2017, every year except 2021 has seen the temperature climb above 30C in London for three or more consecutive days each summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

danm The tube network is also going to become a serious problem in the next few decades with hotter summers. It's already now generally hot in the summer due to the buildup of heat over the years, it's going to be pushed to levels of inhospitability in a couple of decades as heatwaves keep getting more intense. I didn't go to London during it but the network must've become stupidly hot during the August 2020 heatwave for instance. It couldn't have been nice in 2018 or 2022 either. In the end it'll likely result in most of the lines needing to be rebuilt with more modern ventilation systems, and the ones deemed not profitable to rebuild having to be closed for substantial periods over the summer when they become dangerously hot to human life.

It's not just the heatwaves though, the number of milder days and cooler nights that would allow for some amount of the heat to dissipate are rapidly disappearing, and even without major heatwaves the tube network is becoming hot by August and September. I remember going on the Victoria line in early September 2021 and it was uncomfortably warm even then. It's not the sort of heat anyone can enjoy either, it's very stuffy, stale heat with no air exchange whatsoever.

Posted

I suppose these misty/foggy/low cloud mornings are an ongoing symptom of so much rain and therefore wet ground. 

Four such mornings in a row in my location. Rather than sunshine from early on it’s so dull lights are needed inside and the heating keeps clicking on too even though we set it at 18c!l

No light, no warmth, perennial Autumn. It literally is like ‘mellow mists’ of October every morning! 

I’m sure it will clear later but Spring is not reaching its full potential in my opinion. There’s only a finite period of the year where it can be sunny from 06.00! 

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely jubbly.

IMG_2449.thumb.jpeg.8d723c44e34afca7f24d6d6c8e22f8ad.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Quite London-esque here too this morning, albeit with the sunshine a little more hazier. But there really is that proper Spring/very early Summer feel to things now. And great strength to the sun. 

While Summer, as you might expect, likely to have some ups and downs, I hope Autumn goes for its super long snooze now until October. 😴

• Like 2