Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

The warmth hasn't been too bad, actually quite enjoying a few days of unbroken sunshine. However, I'm not enjoying the mild nights. If the minima were in the mid to high single digits, it'd be much more palatable. 

That said it's nothing compared to those exceptionally warm nights we saw in July 2022.. the year that made me invest in a portable AC. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

markyo If no snow = no winter (though snow fell in December and January), then no 30c = no summer.

We average more 30c days than snow days over the course of the year here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

LetItSnow! You can pretty much guarantee that July 2024 will be sunnier than July 2023.

Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, danm said:

always say August 2020 is the most oppressive UK heatwave I’ve experienced, because it featured 6 consecutive days above 33c here in London, with four of those six days above 35c

I agree, I also had 4 tropical nights during that heatwave living in inner London it was brutal. The house was a brick oven it was unbearable, so bad it compelled me to buy a portable AC unit so I could actually sleep. I’ll never forget that heatwave. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

Summer8906 I think August will be the best month of the summer, being very dry and very sunny but temperatures only slightly above average. June and July probably average on all parameters

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely start to the day and with more of an easterly flow I’m hoping temperatures will be quite a bit higher here. Highest temps look as though they’ll be west of London for a change. 

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

May so far has been a bit like May 2008 in my area. Hoping this doesnt lead to a washout final week like what May 2008 went off and produced, making the month wetter and duller than average

You can put the first 12 days of May 2024 and the last 19 days of May 2023 together to get an absolute classic

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

24 degrees yesterday and same forecast today. Last really good day for a while so intend to breath it in…..😎

IMG_8035.thumb.jpeg.e447c70ddf9da8cc055a0004b1c8caf7.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

baddie That (average June and July for both rainfall and sunshine, sunny dry August) would be a good summer in my book, after the likely 11 consecutive wet months!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

danm The 36.4C one day after an active warm front producing significant rain is quite remarkable.

Rare indeed for it to go so hot immediately after a front - but it just underlines how exceptional that August 2020 heatwave was, unlike pretty much any other.

The current spell reminds me a little of a May version of that hot week in July 2021. Temps well above average but not record-breaking, and somewhat humid - with wet weather on the days immediately before and immediately after the fine spell.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

Don Indeed, I'd call it a poor month. The first few days were unsettled, then the extreme humidwave suddenly arrived, lasted 6.5 days, then one day of dull thundery weather with intense humidity - then persistently very dull and very wet until almost the end of the month. The 14th, 15th (Fri/Sat) and 19th (Wed) were particularly ghastly for intense dull and gloom - and on the 19th was accompanied by persistent rain all day, making it very, very autumnal. The very end of the month was rather cool but settled following a thundery cold front on the 28th.

There were at least three very memorable lows/troughs after the 13th: the initial breakdown low on the 13th producing a protracted very dull spell, the active low on the 19th, and the thundery trough/cold front on the 28th (which was at least interesting - I enjoy a thundery spell followed by a sudden clearance to fresh and clear weather from the N or NW). In addition to these three memorable lows, there were several other Atlantic lows in between, keeping the rain going throughout this period. One of these was a named storm, though here, it was less active than the three mentioned above.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
Posted (edited)

WYorksWeather Won't happen, but.. it has been a while since a distinctly hot end to May, of the May 2003 type, for example - or, to a lesser extent, May 1997.

So perhaps we are overdue a 29C maximum in May this year.

1 hour ago, baddie said:

You can put the first 12 days of May 2024 and the last 19 days of May 2023 together to get an absolute classic

I'd swap out the first 6 days of May 2024 for the first 6 of May 1990, though - or perhaps the first 6 of May 1995. Those two years still stand out above all others as having particularly hot starts to May. Would hazard a guess that those two hold the top two spaces for hottest first week of May on record - but perhaps cooler nights mean they don't, in a similar way to how July 1990 is surprisingly far down the rankings despite being phenomenally sunny and warm-by-day in this area.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Summer8906 If you lived in the north then you would have basically missed out on both heatwaves. August 2020 heat didn't reach Scotland/the far north but it did bring a spell of humid sunshine in the mid 20s. After that the very wet and dull weatther that dominated July continued. In fact the month wasn't even warm in the far north. Very much a month that varied greatly on location. For Scotland and the far north of England the summer of 2020 was distinctly cold, wet and dull and I imagine would rank alongside some of the more widely known poor ones. I know because I was there! 

Posted
Posted (edited)

LetItSnow! I wouldn't call 2020 a classic even down here, I'd rate it as poor-ish but down here, we did get one dry month in the form of July (cool and dull first half, warmer with average sunshine in the second).

Down here the real stinkers of recent years were 2021 and 2023. Of 21st century summers, only 2007 and 2012 were clearly worse than these two, though 2008 and 2011 would be about the same.

Then 2015, 2017 and 2020 all about the same, followed by 2019 very slightly better, then 2016, and finally 2018 and 2022.

All except 2018 and 2022, and perhaps 2016, I would rate as below-average, though.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Some cloud first thing, clear blue skies now. Feels very warm. 

• Like 1

Posted

Cloudy/hazy same old story. I imagine there's a BLUE sky up there somewhere?!

IMG_20240511_121140415_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Only far North with precipitation today. Practically everywhere in 20s

IMG_8039.thumb.png.c7f38943b422a636b9635ef8c83b2177.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.

Northwest NI Absolutely freezing on the east coast of Yorkshire today ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

matt brid just nipped into Brid and its cold n misty brrrr, back home 8 mile inland its bright sunshine, cant wait to get back 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Wold Topper Absolutely crazy when you consider temperatures are into the 20-25c mark right now in some areas of the country.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

matt brid couldn't believe it when i got here earlier, it like a different country, thankfully i am nearly done so back to the sunshine 🌞👍

• Like 1

Posted

Wold Topper Well not a lot of people know this but Bridlington can be one of the coldest places in the country at this time of year (but it's all down to the wind direction). The sea temperature in the north sea is just starting to recover after the winter period but it's still low. This weekend we have a gentle onshore south easterly wind - and you have seen the affect of that today.

Hull is a lot warmer than here but even there only upto 19c today.

Bridlington is absolutely heaving this weekend for the 'race by the waves' event but it would help if it was a lot warmer than it is right now !

• Like 1