Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Typical we get Northerly charts ,at the end of winter, from my point of view last summer in North Yorkshire was cool and wet,& a cool and wet winter , now a cool and wet start to spring,  people in the UK need vitamin D .  I keep looking at the charts hoping  for a southerly airflow.

20.oC is all I'm asking for 😆 .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

markyo From March 2023 to February 2024, I have had 850mm of rainfall. That is extreme, it's one of the wettest 12 month periods on record. That's 138% of the annual average rainfall. Put another way, if July recorded 138% of average sunshine, it would have 301 hours. You'd call that extreme.

March 2024 is the 10th consecutive month to see 50mm+, which is a record.

Edited by B87
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

B87 You have....that is my point entirely. London is not the whole UK. 

• Like 1

Posted

markyo We've had a record wet 18 month period. I don't think you can get much more 'extreme' in our climate, and the records back that up.

Some places are running a very large surplus now of rainfall, so much so that even 3-4 months of 0 rain will still have those areas in a long term surplus over say 24 months, We could do with a drier couple of months over the 2nd half of spring, doesn't have to be too warm, just dry. 

Of course that long a dry spell would still cause its own problems with surface level drying out rapidly (as it'd almost certainly be with some heat at some point) but just making a point. 

Edit - estimated return period for this level of wet between 80-120 years...

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 5

Posted

B87  B87 I made that very point a couple of weeks ago. The relentless low pressure and lack of a prolonged dry spell. Everywhere is sodden. Noticed a few charts in the last couple of years which show NW Scotland as below/average rainfall. With England and Wales well above. A recurring theme. With a massive High over Greenland/Iceland. We desperately need some prolonged warmth and dry weather. Outlook for April more of the same old rubbish. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Hmm not sure how I feel about most det runs showing a northerly heading into April now. If it means dry and sunny April 2021 style but cool, I think I would still be fine with that, but it would have to be properly dry and not those silly lows coming under the block and bringing more washouts.

Damian mentioned it earlier, and it's been in my head for a while, but April 1998 seemed like a good analogue given ENSO has some similarites to current, and that was abysmal with horrific flooding for central areas near mid month. Obviously not expecting a repeat of that next month, but nothing can be discounted. May of 1998 looked decent though.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Actually turned out a decently clear and sunny day here in my area, much chillier though.

Nice change from the usually grey, dull blanket.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

NEVES SCREAMER Er...months on months of above average temperatures...?! You got your wish of mild and wet February...and beyond!

Edited by SollyOlly
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

I remember Atlantic 252 the frog in my garden point has been making a right ruckus recently so I think he is happy as Larry with the wet weather. No moaning from him, just croaking! 😁

He actually woke me up with the frog chorus at about 3am last night, I didn't realise frogs could be so loud...and the sound coming in clearly through my bedroom window which i leave ajar only about 1 / 2 inches!

Posted

NEVES SCREAMER Yes, I agree with you...and dislike it as much as you might do...but perhaps that's CC for us, much milder, much wetter. Personally, I'd prefer 'seasons', even if that meant colder in autumn and winter, and less warm Springs. But there's a minority on here who like it mild/ warm regardless of the season...the 'price' of that is wet, it seems. I'm just commenting, it's not my preference! 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted

SollyOlly My comment is the relentless disposition towards wet weather over a prolonged period including substantial parts of summer 2023. An ongoing pattern for some 13 months or so. You and others may read in to it what you will. 

Posted

NEVES SCREAMER And mine is the very worrying trend to ever warmer temperatures, which seem to include it ever wetter. I have enjoyed some of your posts, but now my mental health is suffering...block time, I think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

leave the troll! was a super morning today in King's Bromley, by super, I mean dry/even sunny , not super to a certain member though

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

You’d think the weather had a request form 🤣 

Side node for interests sake, the hail shower deposited a longer cover of white on the ground than the entire winter and since December 2022 🤣 Oddly the exact same thing occurred around this time in March ten years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1